Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

pjohnson wrote: »
    Aaaand they've suddenly changed listings. The Chase The Bloopers is gone

It’s on Monday at 5pm on VM1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I don’t mind the presenters on their news, I actually like their news , it’s different. I agree with your comment about Alison Comyn, she was excellent and is a loss. Paul is good too and I also like Rory Carroll.
    VM1, VM2 and VM3 is basically ITV’s main channel recycled over 3 channels

I think some of the Virgin Media News regional correspondents have performed quite well - Paul Colgan (previously UTV Ireland, RTÉ News) is excellent, Paul Byrne (previously TV3) excellent in Southern Region, Eric Clarke (previously UTV Ireland) excellent in Mid-West Region.

Meanwhile I notice ex-TV3 News & RTÉ News reporter/presenter David Murphy is now the "Ireland Correspondent" with SKY News. David replaced Darren McCaffrey who has left Sky News for euronews serving as political editor and will also co-presenting on euronews channel.

I wonder if Alison Comyn will reappear in a TV newsroom again in the future. She was so unlucky that UTV Ireland disappeared so fast from our screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Meanwhile I notice ex-TV3 News & RTÉ News reporter/presenter David Murphy is now the "Ireland Correspondent" with SKY News. David replaced Darren McCaffrey who has left Sky News for euronews serving as political editor and will also co-presenting on euronews channel.

No. It's Stephen Murphy who is with Sky News.

David Murphy is still with RTÉ as political coverage editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Neither are great, David sounds like a nervous school boy, while Stephen is always smiling.(sorry don’t usually make comments on presenters).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Should happen in 2019: VMTV comes up with a decent music show to fill the Nightshift shaped hole in my heart.
    Will happen: it'll resort to more celebrity/reality garbage.

I am thinking fondly of Nightshift, exactly 10 years to the day that it was cruelly taken away with us in favour of more celebrity-gossip bollocks. Sadly the Virgin Media overlords don't care that for every Kim Kardashian or Joey Essex or Love Island twerp, there's a Fontaines DC, Saint Sister or Bitch Falcon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Virgin Media do deserve their worth in the eyes of the public. They are the worst broadcasters in the history of the Irish state. When you have nearly every programme taken from the ITV Studios catalogue in your mainstream Christmas schedules & throughout the rest of the year with a minuscule amount of Irish programming included for the viewers; then you know something has definitely gone wrong with them.

Virgin Media do deserve their worth in the eyes of the public. They are the worst broadcasters in the history of the Irish state. When you have nearly every programme taken from the ITV Studios catalogue in your mainstream Christmas schedules & throughout the rest of the year with a minuscule amount of Irish programming included for the viewers; then you know something has definitely gone wrong with them.
    See my point above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Would Virgin Media scrap Judge Judy? Its getting repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

mikeym wrote: »

If they had to scrap all their relative programmes, they’d close down

100% correct dublinman1990
    Apologies, I had Stephen in my head but never realised I made that error til I checked just now :o - surprised I mixed them both up as I recall David Murphy in his previous role as RTÉ Business Editor who was promoted during 2018. I gather David Murphy's new role as Political Coverage Editor is a behind-the-scenes role as I've not seen him on-screen since he left his previous appointment.

I wonder will Stephen Murphy stick with Sky News for a good while or move elsewhere. Sky News is no longer my preferred news channel these days. I think I got tired of the frequent Sky promotions and long commercial breaks so; after RTÉ News & Virgin Media News, I find myself tuning in to the BBC News Channel and ITV News.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

mikeym wrote: »

It's been shown since Day 2 of TV3. It's repetitive, but still gains a big audience for that time slot, as it would have regularly appeared in the Top 20 shows of the week.

However, they should really try out some new shows there, or even one episode of JJ at 4.30 and something else at 5. The use of double bills throughout their schedule is lazy, and as someone said previously, they will oversaturate the schedule with the same programmes that viewers will just get fed up.

To me most of the media give TV3/VMT a free ride, I don’t remember any journalist mentioning the bad years at TV3 or now that they are reducing their Irish content https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/the-irish-media-year-in-review-from-the-inm-drama-to-tv3-s-reinvention-1.3744478?mode=amp

Elmo wrote: »
    To me most of the media give TV3/VMT a free ride, I don’t remember any journalist mentioning the bad years at TV3 or now that they are reducing their Irish content https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/the-irish-media-year-in-review-from-the-inm-drama-to-tv3-s-reinvention-1.3744478?mode=amp

I agree that Virgin Media Television should also face criticism if and when it is warranted. I think the reason most of the media (apart from RTÉ) are not as tough on Virgin Media Ireland (formerly TV3 Group) is because certain elements within the Irish media such as the newspapers & magazine publications for example have also struggled during the advertising downturn amid fierce competition from online digital advertising. That's not to suggest that RTÉ did not suffer as we know they have had their own financial difficulties too but they have had a financial cushion with the TV Licence Fee down through the years.

The media from the private sector side tends to have little sympathy for RTÉ as the former state broadcasting monopoly has been receiving the lions share of the TV Licence Fee. Newspapers do not have access to such a scheme and probably feel they should benefit in some way for providing a public service to customers in the communities they serve across the length & breadth of Ireland.

iseegirls wrote: »
    It's been shown since Day 2 of TV3. It's repetitive, but still gains a big audience for that time slot, as it would have regularly appeared in the Top 20 shows of the week.

However, they should really try out some new shows there, or even one episode of JJ at 4.30 and something else at 5. The use of double bills throughout their schedule is lazy, and as someone said previously, they will oversaturate the schedule with the same programmes that viewers will just get fed up.
    How about "The Xposé Sessions" where every episode, a new emerging Irish artist comes in, chats to one of the Xpose girls and performs a few tracks live in studio?

We could have Picture This on it one week, Villagers another week, Wyvern Lingo on it another week, Ships (Choice Prize winners) another week... you get the idea?

Not to get into this debate and I understand RTÉ currently have a lot to answer for but to those in other parts of them media

1. Show me your Music Groups you have to maintain
    2. show me your Irish language content that is free of ads
    3. Show me the content you provide for free to TG4
    4. Show me the support you provide to fiction writers/ scriptwriters

Then get back to me about the license fee.

Sorry OTT

How about "The Xposé Sessions" where every episode, a new emerging Irish artist comes in, chats to one of the Xpose girls and performs a few tracks live in studio?

We could have Picture This on it one week, Villagers another week, Wyvern Lingo on it another week, Ships (Choice Prize winners) another week... you get the idea?

When TV3 ask the BAI to replace the 6:30 news for xpose this was what was suggested!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Less xpose would be better. They'd only talk about the musicians appearance.

A comparison between the amount of new home produced programming that were broadcast in the first 2 weeks of January 2015 (The month UTV Ireland started) and this year:

2015:
    The Lie (Series 2)
    Renovation Nation
    Donal MacIntrye: Breaking Crime
    The Holiday Show (S4)
    Red Rock
    The Restaurant
    The People's Debate With VinB
    Ireland's Oyster Clan
    Danger! Amanda At Work
    The Algorithm

2018:
    2 special episodes of Gogglebox

That's it. They'd rather show a 3 part ITV series on Monday night at 9pm, instead of Red Rock. 2 films, ITV doc The London Studios, ITV's Rescue, ITV's Long Lost Family is what makes up the 9-11pm slots next week on VM1. Beyond awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

iseegirls wrote: »
    A comparison between the amount of new home produced programming that were broadcast in the first 2 weeks of January 2015 (The month UTV Ireland started) and this year:

2015:
    The Lie (Series 2)
    Renovation Nation
    Donal MacIntrye: Breaking Crime
    The Holiday Show (S4)
    Red Rock
    The Restaurant
    The People's Debate With VinB
    Ireland's Oyster Clan
    Danger! Amanda At Work
    The Algorithm

2018:
    2 special episodes of Gogglebox

That's it. They'd rather show a 3 part ITV series on Monday night at 9pm, instead of Red Rock. 2 films, ITV doc The London Studios, ITV's Rescue, ITV's Long Lost Family is what makes up the 9-11pm slots next week on VM1. Beyond awful.

Clearly, Red Rock wasn't all it was cracked up to be! TV3's marketing campaign back in 2015 meant that anyone with the slightest interest in Irish TV was aware of Red Rock and so anyone who wanted to watch it watched it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

missed saturday's millionaire episode .. not to worry i said to family , it will be on catch-up . - Went to Virgin Media Player on the Sky+ Box - wasn't there :o

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Less xpose would be better. They'd only talk about the musicians appearance.

Nice of them to compliment them on their looks, but what about their catchy hooks?

Clearly, Red Rock wasn't all it was cracked up to be! TV3's marketing campaign back in 2015 meant that anyone with the slightest interest in Irish TV was aware of Red Rock and so anyone who wanted to watch it watched it!

Didn’t help they took long breaks, BAI paid for 3 season with 80 episodes each season, 2015, 2016 & 2017 TV3 dragged out each season until 2019!!!! It was as good as any soap with a little care TV3/Virgin Media could have grown it’s audience, however doesn’t help when the producers are kept in the dark over schedules e.g Christmas episode airing in January.

Didn’t help they took long breaks, BAI paid for 3 season with 80 episodes each season, 2015, 2016 & 2017 TV3 dragged out each season until 2019!!!! It was as good as any soap with a little care TV3/Virgin Media could have grown it’s audience, however doesn’t help when the producers are kept in the dark over schedules e.g Christmas episode airing in January.

As was said earlier but a poster, the media gives TV3 an easy time and same when it was discovered that Red Rock wouldn't be returning. Wasn't there around 200 or so people involved in the production of it with plenty of actors not knowing if it was being renewed. It was ridiculous. Glad to a few have moved on and got roles in Eastenders.

Once they found out that Corrie was on the way back, that was the nail in the coffin. They should have positioned it properly. Having it on Monday and Friday at 8pm sandwiched between Corrie would have created a big 2 hour soap block. Instead they knew they had their main soap back, and instead of funding there own weekly drama alongside it - they take the easy way out and drop Red Rock.

I'd give my right arm for a Nightshift reboot.

It says its part of the line up but no date given.

It says its part of the line up but no date given.

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_One/status/1082599095137718274?s=19

Few new ITV drama series starting over the coming days:

Granchester - VM2 Sun 9pm - 2 days after ITV
    Cold Feet - VM2 Thu 9pm - 4 days after ITV
    Cleaning Up - VM1 Mon 10pm - 5 days after ITV
    Vera - VM1 (first time on VM1/TV3) Tue 9pm - 2 days after ITV.

Good to see them being a bit closer to ITV, but odd they don't have them on at exactly the same time. Most of the entertainment programmes are all at the same time.

No sign of Nightshift on the Spring line-up. The long wait for a reboot continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GIMP

No sign of Nightshift on the Spring line-up. The long wait for a reboot continues.

No listing for this on any epg......

Cold Feet - VM2 Thu 9pm - 4 days after ITV??

Any idea when it starts

Advertisement