Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

A pretty diabolical Easter schedule by the channels this year. There was an option on Easter Sunday at 8pm (all repeats) - The Celebrity Chase, An Audience With Bruce Forsyth (broadcast in 1997) and Poirot (1st broadcast in 1990)

Outlining how reliant they have now become it, here's their Easter Monday schedule removing ITV Studios programming:

Virgin Media One
    6:30am Champions League Magazine (R)
    16:30 Judge Judy
    17:30 News At 5.30
    20:00 Don't Look Back In Anger (R)

Virgin Media Two
    20:00 Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords (R)
    23:30 FILM 50 First Dates (Shown 2 days earlier on VM2)
    01:30 Xpose (R)

Virgin Media Three
    06:00 Kids Programming (R)
    23:00 Big Fat Gypsy Weddings (R)
    02:00 Nothing To Declare

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

It wouldn’t be so bad if they showed current ITV stuff, it’s the ‘repeats of repeats’ that’s so lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

iseegirls wrote: »
    A pretty diabolical Easter schedule by the channels this year. There was an option on Easter Sunday at 8pm (all repeats) - The Celebrity Chase, An Audience With Bruce Forsyth (broadcast in 1997) and Poirot (1st broadcast in 1990)

Outlining how reliant they have now become it, here's their Easter Monday schedule removing ITV Studios programming:

Virgin Media One
    6:30am Champions League Magazine (R)
    16:30 Judge Judy
    17:30 News At 5.30
    20:00 Don't Look Back In Anger (R)

Virgin Media Two
    20:00 Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords (R)
    23:30 FILM 50 First Dates (Shown 2 days earlier on VM2)
    01:30 Xpose (R)

Virgin Media Three
    06:00 Kids Programming (R)
    23:00 Big Fat Gypsy Weddings (R)
    02:00 Nothing To Declare

Wow, that is truely shocking. Judge Judy and nothing to declare are surely repeats as well. If they closed down VM2 and VM3, they’d barely have enough good content to have one good channel.

I’d say the philosophy they are going with is they get advertising revenue so bang out any old trash.

I miss tv3 and 3e.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Wow, that is truely shocking. Judge Judy and nothing to declare are surely repeats as well. If they closed down VM2 and VM3, they’d barely have enough good content to have one good channel.

I’d say the philosophy they are going with is they get advertising revenue so bang out any old trash.

I miss tv3 and 3e.

Apologies, yep Nothing To Declare is repeat. Unsure about Judge Judy. Probably is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Maz2016 wrote: »

I miss tv3 and 3e.

I miss Channel 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ten Pin wrote: »
    IIRC each semi final of CL and Europa League were to be FTA (RTE still have Tuesday nights CL)

Only highlights showing on listings on Wednesday 1st May, no live FTA.

From Irish Times article in July 2018:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-to-charge-up-to-20-a-month-for-new-sports-channel-1.3563111?mode=amp

They need to make money I suppose those rights didnt come cheap.

I was led to believe that both Semi Finals were meant to be FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

mikeym wrote: »
    They need to make money I suppose those rights didnt come cheap.

I was led to believe that both Semi Finals were meant to be FTA.

I thought VM were suppose to show one game FTA per round?? 😕

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They didn’t during the first legs of the Round of 16, and then suddenly resumed for the second legs.

They are showing Arsenal v Valencia in the Europa League on Thursday FTA.

I thought VM were suppose to show one game FTA per round?? 😕

I don't think they ever stated that a game would be shown free to air every gameweek. They said a Tuesday 6pm game would be shown, but that was dropped soon after the realisation most of the 6pm games didn't contain the big teams or big matches. And there was never going to be any 6pm in the knockouts. They always stated that both the Europa and CL final would be free to air. That's about it.

Their move to show matches the same time as RTE2 only started recently, and may start like that again next season.

No doubt if it was the other way around, and RTE2 started showing matches during VM1's only match, then there would be war and calls of foul play.

Pat Kenny's Big Debate is back this month. First time he's been on since the presendential election.

• Advertisement

No FA Cup final live on Virgin Media this year. The 4 year deal ended last year, and looks like they haven't renewed it.

Jeremy Kyle removed from the schedules today, following ITVs decision to pause production and remove from ITV1 and ITV2 in the wake of recent news regarding the death of a previous participant on the show.

Replacing it in VM2 was 2 episodes of Alphabetical. Which meant that at a point today, Alphabetical was on both VM2 and VM3. Replacing JK on VM3 was Seven Days With..

Jeremy Kyle removed from the schedules today, following ITVs decision to pause production and remove from ITV1 and ITV2 in the wake of recent news regarding the death of a previous participant on the show.

Replacing it in VM2 was 2 episodes of Alphabetical. Which meant that at a point today, Alphabetical was on both VM2 and VM3. Replacing JK on VM3 was Seven Days With..

Seriously, it was on two channels???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I thought VM was behind on the Jeremy Kyle shows? (by a year?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

mikeym wrote: »
    I thought VM was behind on the Jeremy Kyle shows? (by a year?)

Presumably, they'd still have picked up flak for continuing to show it, when ITV dropped it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's good that they've stopped showing it. It is absolute scutter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No FA Cup final live on Virgin Media this year. The 4 year deal ended last year, and looks like they haven't renewed it.

They may have an opportunity to get the rights back from 2021 as there are unconfirmed reports circulating that ITV will be taking the BT Sport half of the domestic rights in the next deal. Those rights include ROI at present (but may not in a situation where ITV is the buyer).

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's good that they've stopped showing it. It is absolute scutter.

If only they'd do the same with L0ve 1$l@nd. The new series has not even started yet and already I am sick to my bollocks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

VM One & VM Sport will have coverage of the CL Final beginning from 6pm on Saturday evening.

That coverage will last for 5 solid hours until 11pm which I feel is far, far too long. 2 hours of that is allocated for their build-up to the match.

VM Sport will show coverage of Spurs training session at 3:30pm & repeat coverage of the 2005 Final with Liverpool from 9pm on Thursday.

Liverpool's training session will begin at 5:30pm on Friday.

VM Sport have some stuff on their extra channels on Saturday night as well.

Best bits is at 5pm - VM Sport 2 Extra

Tactical Cam is on at 7:45pm - VM Sport 1 Extra

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

VM One & VM Sport will have coverage of the CL Final beginning from 6pm on Saturday evening.

That coverage will last for 5 solid hours until 11pm which I feel is far, far too long. 2 hours of that is allocated for their build-up to the match.

Do you remember the FA Cup on BBC years ago when the coverage went on for hours? It was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

VM Sport will show coverage of Liverpool & Spurs training session at 3:30pm & repeat coverage of the 2005 Final with Liverpool from 9pm on Friday night.

VM Sport have some stuff on their extra channels on Saturday night as well.

Best bits is at 5pm - VM Sport 2 Extra

Tactical Cam is on at 7:45pm - VM Sport 1 Extra

To be fair. You're hardly obliged to watch all 5 hours of the coverage. The fact that there are an enormous amount of Liverpool fans in Ireland and some Spurs, and plenty of United fans wanting to see Liverpool lose, there will be as big an audience as they will ever have a chance to reach.

To be fair. You're hardly obliged to watch all 5 hours of the coverage. The fact that there are an enormous amount of Liverpool fans in Ireland and some Spurs, and plenty of United fans wanting to see Liverpool lose, there will be as big an audience as they will ever have a chance to reach.

That's true. When I watched the matches on RTÉ2. They normally have an hour of build-up for their games. That was normally tolerable IMO. A lot of my family are Liverpool supporters. I will say some of them will see this game on Saturday night probably from my local out in Dublin.

In fairness, their coverage and analysis of the Champions League games have been decent. Compares to RTE - who seem to throw in an inane poll into everything along with a competition - VM have resisted that. They've also not gone to an advert straight after the final whistle in several games. Seem to remember staying with Anfield for about 15mins after their semi final win, while RTE had shot through adverts, 3 mins of analysis, before stopping their coverage before their next show started - prob something with Vogue.

The final coverage can be excessive alright. Don't know how much Sounness and Co can talk about different things for 2 hours. But it certainly beats repeats of The Cube.

Please VMT, please commission a new music show. We've waited long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Please go HD on Saorview VM1. We're meeting in our Church Coffee Bar to watch the CL final. BT sport live Youtube Channel for Europa League Final kept buffering so we have to relay on VM1 for coverage but with SD pictures.

If anyone is watching the CL Final now. The stage show before the match is being shown live on the VM Sport Extra 1 channel.

If anyone is watching the CL Final now. The stage show before the match is being shown live on the VM Sport Extra 1 channel.

Tactical Cam in Extra 1 now, basically a higher camera shot showing all players within the screen.

Extra 2 are showing the 'Best Bits' which after watching for the last minutes is quite odd. They've shown about 12 different angles of Robertson's shot, a compilation of managers taking to players, some slowed down footage. Dont know if this comes from Virgin Media, or UEFA.

yes-master-what-are-your-3-wishes.jpg
    1. That a new late night music show was commissioned
    2. That Xposé would just be axed for good
    3. That VMT would broaden it's programming and not have to rely on imported/celebrity twaddle to make a profit.

• Advertisement

Love Island Launch Ratings Soar
    435,000 braindead idiots tuned in to watch the brand new series of #LoveIsland on Virgin Media Two last night. Ratings soared as an average of 245,000 people watched 12 new muppets enter the Love Island villa. This is up 133% on last year’s launch show.

Advertisement