Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Midsomer Murders on VMTV over the next few days below.
    Note that Series 13 was originally broadcast in 2010 on ITV. The series has been shown twice on VM3 previously.

Wed 1st Aug: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 1
    Wed: VM3 1am - Series 14 Episode 8

Fri: VM1 10pm - Series 13 Episode 7
    Fri: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 2

Sat: VM1 10pm - Series 13 Episode 8

Sun: VM1 10pm - Series 14 Episode 1
    Sun: VM2 1am - Series 13 Episode 4

Mon: VM3 9pm - Series 14 Episode 7

Wed: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 5

Thu: VM3 9pm - Series 13, Episode 4

Fri: VM1 10pm - Series 14 Episode 2
    Fri: VM2 12mid - Series 13 Episode 6

So it's split across the 3 channels - again showing there is no channel for any distinctive target group.
    VM1 has it on on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at 10pm. This is prime time viewing - for a series that is 9 years old - and skews heavily towards a much older age group. There was a time Sunday night at 9pm was the go to place for blockbuster movie premieres.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    VM1 has it on on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at 10pm. This is prime time viewing - for a series that is 9 years old - and skews heavily towards a much older age group. There was a time Sunday night at 9pm was the go to place for blockbuster movie premieres.

Crazy scheduling, Your talking ITV3 scheduling. Basically Virgin Media are getting away with Murder.... in the Mid-Summer .... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I didn't know this but Mark Cagney had presented his last ever Ireland AM on VM1 this morning.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mark-cagney-ireland-am-2-4747427-Jul2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I didn't know this but Mark Cagney had presented his last ever Ireland AM on VM1 this morning.

Yeah he did.I never really watched it (never at home in the mornings) but they gave him a good send off. Interesting to see some of the behind the camera bits
    https://youtu.be/369HuYrGHmo?t=269 (not my video)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Maybe he'll present the Nightshift revival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

As far as I know, the BBC finished broadcasting the most recent episodes of Red Rock on weekday afternoons. I wonder was VMI waiting for the BBC to show those episodes before VMI shows the last two episodes.

As far as I know, the BBC finished broadcasting the most recent episodes of Red Rock on weekday afternoons. I wonder was VMI waiting for the BBC to show those episodes before VMI shows the last two episodes.

Nope, just Virgin Media dragging out the show for all its worth, and in the end - completely ruining what what TV3s best products show.

Nope, just Virgin Media dragging out the show for all its worth, and in the end - completely ruining what what TV3s best products show.

Why didn't VMI just draw a line under the whole thing? Does it not have any other Irish production in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Give me Red Rock over all the ITV import/reality bollocks any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seeing ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ for the first time today - Complete Reeling in the Years rip-off, but it’s using TV3 footage from the past.

• Advertisement

Why didn't VMI just draw a line under the whole thing? Does it not have any other Irish production in the pipeline?

I think they just like having it in their Autumn/New Season schedule launches. Just wanting to show that they're investing in drama. The 40 episodes that should be just 1 series have been dragged out over 3 years now. Writing was on the wall since TV3 got back all the ITV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

My guess is that once they show the last 2 episodes the rights to the programme revert back to the production company who are then free to approach other broadcasters about making new episodes .

The longer that takes the less likely that it will be picked up .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s apparently an accounting practice in commissioning programmes from indies which means the broadcaster doesn’t have to book the spend on the programme until its broadcast. I’m not saying this is the reason that the final Red Rock hasn’t been broadcast yet mind you, but it apparently resulted in postponement of broadcasts of other programmes - most infamously the miniseries Amber aired four years after it was produced.

icdg wrote: »
    There’s apparently an accounting practice in commissioning programmes from indies which means the broadcaster doesn’t have to book the spend on the programme until its broadcast. I’m not saying this is the reason that the final Red Rock hasn’t been broadcast yet mind you, but it apparently resulted in postponement of broadcasts of other programmes - most infamously the miniseries Amber aired four years after it was produced.

If the programme has already been produced by the indie then how does the broadcaster save money by postponing the broadcast of the programme?

Give me Red Rock over all the ITV import/reality bollocks any day.

Ah, now, it's hardly Line of Duty or The Bill, is it?!

At least with dramas produced for the ITV Network you only have to wait 7 days (or 1 day if the drama is being broadcast on consecutive nights) for the next episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ah, now, it's hardly Line of Duty or The Bill, is it?!

At least with dramas produced for the ITV Network you only have to wait 7 days (or 1 day if the drama is being broadcast on consecutive nights) for the next episode!

The Bill was hardly the line of duty and it stands up to The Bill well.

If the programme has already been produced by the indie then how does the broadcaster save money by postponing the broadcast of the programme?

They don’t, ultimately. But if your department has a budget of €100m, and you spend €120m in 2018, you can delay a €20m programme to 2019 to book that €20m that year instead. Of course then you only have €80m to spend in 2019.

Or, try Laura Slattery’s explanation instead:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/amber-resurfaces-as-rt%25C3%25A9-one-strips-mystery-drama-1.1656437%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is Virgin Media Sport showing the Uefa Super Cup match between Liverpool & Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

mikeym wrote: »
    Is Virgin Media Sport showing the Uefa Super Cup match between Liverpool & Chelsea?

- Yes.

Probably the first time the Super Cup match is not shown free to air on Irish TV.

But Virgin Media TV have more important programmes to show on their 3 channels like ITV repeats of Poirot, The Chase, Long Lost Family, Midsomer Murders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Most people won't even know its on if it's hidden away on their cable network.

They don’t, ultimately. But if your department has a budget of €100m, and you spend €120m in 2018, you can delay a €20m programme to 2019 to book that €20m that year instead. Of course then you only have €80m to spend in 2019.

Or, try Laura Slattery’s explanation instead:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/amber-resurfaces-as-rt%25C3%25A9-one-strips-mystery-drama-1.1656437%3fmode=amp

Her explanation of that quirk in international accounting rules is intriguing. So, ultimately, it's financial window-dressing, i.e. being seen to be "breaking even", I guess.

Probably the first time the Super Cup match is not shown free to air on Irish TV.

But Virgin Media TV have more important programmes to show on their 3 channels like ITV repeats of Poirot, The Chase, Long Lost Family, Midsomer Murders.

What's wrong with that?! Sure, my mum always giving out about the amount of time my dad spends watching sport on TV!

Its all a money grab, people are getting sick of paying high prices for sports channels.

There are ad's for The Super Cup shown regularly on Virgin Media One which promotes the match for Virgin Media Sport.

Also Martin King & Muireann O'Connell had Lou Ferrigno along with The 2 Johnnies & Chef John Relihan as guests today on the Six O'Clock Show.

https://twitter.com/SixOClockShow/status/1159536508304596992

https://twitter.com/SixOClockShow/status/1159536947922198528

VM One showing an apology captain and prerecorded programming (60 Minute Makeover) instead of Ireland AM at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

VM One showing an apology captain and prerecorded programming (60 Minute Makeover) instead of Ireland AM at present.
    There were high winds in the area last night and there are power outages in Dublin this morning

Looks like Virgin Media One are now showing the Uefa Super Cup.

Good to see them showing the football live and free.
    Will be interesting to see how their Champions League coverage will go. I predict they'll position a live match on Tuesday up against RTE2. Similar to what happened towards the tail end of last season. All hope goes on a game on VM1 on a Wednesday night, but can't see that happening

• Advertisement

Yeah great. I just read the TV guide on the website.

The time for the match tomorrow night is from 7:30pm until 11pm on VM1.

Virgin Media Sport's coverage will still begin at 7pm.

Advertisement