Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

It is so embarrassing Graham norton show and the cube were the same episodes Saturday night and Sunday. I think on VM2 then VM1. It’s gond beyond a joke.
    They did say on their introduction to Saturday nights who wants to be a millionaire that gogglebox is back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Maz2016 wrote: »
    It is so embarrassing Graham norton show and the cube were the same episodes Saturday night and Sunday. I think on VM2 then VM1. It’s gond beyond a joke.
    They did say on their introduction to Saturday nights who wants to be a millionaire that gogglebox is back soon

I can kind of understand that if its a new episode. For example if VMT TWO simulcast GN with BBC ONE on Friday night and VMT one repeated that new episode on Saturday night.

Repeating a repeat when you have either new programmes to air or you have other repeats that you could also air.

It's surprising how they are holding on to their audience.

Elmo wrote: »
    I can kind of understand that if its a new episode. For example if VMT TWO simulcast GN with BBC ONE on Friday night and VMT one repeated that new episode on Saturday night.

Repeating a repeat when you have either new programmes to air or you have other repeats that you could also air.

It's surprising how they are holding on to their audience.

Yeah and these were repeats of repeats of repeats. It’s actually shocking scheduling. I guess they get away with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I guess they get away with it though

It surely won't last.

As they seem to be reliant on ITV Studios content there must be something available that hasn't been seen on television here that they could be showing.

Virgin Media do not need three channels. They barely need two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭its_steve116

lertsnim wrote: »
    It surely won't last.

As they seem to be reliant on ITV Studios content there must be something available that hasn't been seen on television here that they could be showing.

How does that Bruce Springsteen song go again?...

• Advertisement

How does that Bruce Springsteen song go again?...

"There's never anything on the 3 Virgin Media TV channels because they refuse to use their ITV content, except for repeats of The Chase and if they could they'd still be repeating Jeremy Kyle!"

lertsnim wrote: »

Ah but think of the advertising revenue, they seem to be doing ok with advertisers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

https://evoke.ie/2019/08/26/showbiz/mark-cagney-talks-about-virgin-media
    Former Ireland AM presenter Mark Cagney has revealed he should have quit the station two years ago.

And the veteran broadcaster has described Virgin Media as a utilities company who have a completely different way of doing things.

I wonder is there more employees at Virgin Media that feel that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I am assuming the ITV line up is all new?

Judging from tvguide.co.uk, everything is new apart from The Celebrity Chase.

The programmes from 6-9pm on Saturday are repeated on the same channel the next day between 2:30-5:30pm. Everything has to have a repeat it seems. Every special is shown twice within a week, nearly every episode of a TV series is shown again- the exact same 10 episodes of Judge Judy on VM1 is shown on VM3 on Saturday and Sunday morning. An episode of Coronation Street and Emmerdale is shown 4 times within the week (UTV Ireland only showed an episode twice). 3 channels are just too bloated, especially when they all show the same thing.
    "There's never anything on the 3 Virgin Media TV channels because they refuse to use their ITV content, except for repeats of The Chase and if they could they'd still be repeating Jeremy Kyle!"

They were caught with JK being dropped. But now there are 5 episodes of Judge Rinder daily, 3 episodes of Tipping Point, 5 episodes of The Chase. Judge Rinder is shown at the same time at 2pm across 2 channels.
    mikeym wrote: »
    I wonder is there more employees at Virgin Media that feel that way?
    Something must be going on. Was there any reason why Aidan Cooney left?

iseegirls wrote: »
    An episode of Coronation Street and Emmerdale is shown 4 times within the week (UTV Ireland only showed an episode twice). 3 channels are just too bloated, especially when they all show the same thing.

I am fairly certain that both Coro St and Emmerdale were repeated in the Morning on TV3, in the afternoon and then at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Something must be going on. Was there any reason why Aidan Cooney left?

VM may be look for wage cuts. According to Mark Cagney he took at 30% cut a few years back.

I am fairly certain that both Coro St and Emmerdale were repeated in the Morning on TV3, in the afternoon and then at the weekend.

Yep, there was times that the soaps were shown 3 to 4 times across the week on just TV3. They had repeats of Coronation Street on 3e at the start, but was dropped after a year - they showed it from 9-10pm Mon, Wed, Fri. The idea of showing them after 10.30pm was a newer idea that happened the December when TV3 took over UTVi, and has remained there since. I feel it's a waste of 1 to 2 hours of something that has just been shown 2 hours previously, but they'll see it as a cheap way to fill the schedule.

Yep, there was times that the soaps were shown 3 to 4 times across the week on just TV3. They had repeats of Coronation Street on 3e at the start, but was dropped after a year - they showed it from 9-10pm Mon, Wed, Fri. The idea of showing them after 10.30pm was a newer idea that happened the December when TV3 took over UTVi, and has remained there since. I feel it's a waste of 1 to 2 hours of something that has just been shown 2 hours previously, but they'll see it as a cheap way to fill the schedule.

3e/Channel6 saw its audience dip in the initial months of the re-brand, hence why they axed CoroSt, I don't think it last even 3 months on 3e. Now it seems like they can over repeat the worst of ITV and still manage 18% share, across 3 channels.

Let’s see what the new autumn schedule brings tomorrow.

icdg wrote: »
    Its_steve116

Please cease disrupting threads with discussion on a programme which aired very late at night on a channel which no longer exists and most people wouldn’t remember.

You may if you wish, start one (1) separate thread on it. If you get replies to it good luck, but I won’t be allowing it to continue in the form of a conversation with yourself if it doesn’t.

Otherwise consider the matter off topic for discussion

I'm sorry if I've gone on and on about wanting it back, but the blind and stupid decision by Doughty Hanson to cancel the show hit my 14 year old, music-loving self very hard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

its_steve116 banned for two days for ignoring warning

Edit: You have a previous two day ban, so it’s now five days

VMT One going for a rerun of The National Television Awards 2019 this Friday at 9pm for 2 and half hours. This ceremony was first broadcast in January. They have a habit of doing this over the past few years. They even promote it heavily on their channels and twitter.

I can't think of any other channel (apart from say cable channels like MTV) which repeat award ceremonies in Prime Time TV on their main channel 8 months later. Especially award ceremonies that are not even based in their own country.

Note that if you've missed it the first, second and third time, you can watch for a 4th time on Sunday on VMT One at 12midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

is their budget still 30million a year(including the ITV deal). If so then they have limited resources and should really use all their rights instead of showing poor repeat after repeat..i bet the snapper will be on soon again..

Few things filtering through twitter, but this is what I can see so far. Big surprise is that Sports Tonight is returning - no idea about time or channel (maybe after 10.30 on VM2)

Drama:
    Red Rock: The Finale :rolleyes:
    Darklands
    Blood
    The Decieved
    The Rook
    Liar
    The Bay
    A Confession
    Bodyguard
    Sticks And Stones

Factual/Entertainment:
    OAP B&B
    The Restaurant
    Rich Man's World
    Love Island Summer
    Love Island Winter
    Gogglebox Ireland
    Prison Breaks
    The Guards: Inside The K
    Living With Lucy

Usual Returnees:
    Elaine, Ireland AM, The Tonight Show

Sport:
    UEFA Champions League
    UEFA Europa League
    Euro 2020 Qualifiers
    Heineken Champions Cup Rugby
    Six Nations
    UK Horseracing
    Sport Tonight

Red Rock: The Finale :rolleyes:

We ever going to get a date for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

VMT One going for a rerun of The National Television Awards 2019 this Friday at 9pm for 2 and half hours. This ceremony was first broadcast in January. They have a habit of doing this over the past few years. They even promote it heavily on their channels and twitter.

I can't think of any other channel (apart from say cable channels like MTV) which repeat award ceremonies in Prime Time TV on their main channel 8 months later. Especially award ceremonies that are not even based in their own country.

Note that if you've missed it the first, second and third time, you can watch for a 4th time on Sunday on VMT One at 12midday.

Will I put up who won the best soap award? :D:D:D

Sport Tonight will be 11pm Monday and Friday. Meaning The Tonight Show will go back to 3 nights between Tuesday and Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

VM1 CL, 2 games on Tuesday 17th (6pm & 8pm) & 1 game on Wednesday 18th (6pm)

Wow, that’s a big change from last seasons “exclusive to VM Sport” position. I wonder if the fact that VM Sport is. as of today, available on all major platforms, changed their tune on that front? They no longer get any “exclusivity benefit” from reserving matches for VM Sport, so they might as well do what they do best and sell the adverts. They’ll also be hoping to keep the viewers from turning over to RTE for the late Tues game.

The games chosen are Inter v Prague (Tues 6pm), Chelsea v Valencia (Tues 8pm) and Olympiacos v Spurs (Wed 6pm). RTE has Napoli v Liverpool (Tues 8pm). Also tentatively scheduled is Eintracht Frankfurt v Arsenal in the Europa League (next Thurs, 6pm, Virgin Media Two). Can’t remember the last time there’s been that much top class club football on FTA in such a short space.

Had a dream last night that VMT commissioned a music show called The Playlist, presented by Eoghan McDermott, and the guests on the first episode were Dermot Kennedy and Wild Youth. I would love it if VMT did commission a new music programme in a similar vein to Top of the Pops or Sounds like Friday Night. A mix of studio performances, videos and band interviews, similarly to his old show Pop4 on TG4. I think Sounds like Friday Night works well for the BBC I don't see why Virgin couldn't make a similar show?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The games chosen are Inter v Prague (Tues 6pm), Chelsea v Valencia (Tues 8pm) and Olympiacos v Spurs (Wed 6pm). RTE has Napoli v Liverpool (Tues 8pm). Also tentatively scheduled is Eintracht Frankfurt v Arsenal in the Europa League (next Thurs, 6pm, Virgin Media Two). Can’t remember the last time there’s been that much top class club football on FTA in such a short space.

what's the reason for the change to finishing coverage at 22:10 on rte? think they did last season also.
    post game is where they'd actually have something to talk about

frankfurt-arsenal is still listed on vm2

Mainly, I think it’s because they can no longer show highlights of the other games like they could in the previous contract (when they were on Wednesday). Even so they seem to have to wrap up the postgame in a dreadful hurry.

Would be interesting to see if this amount of live football would continue on VM1 during the next few months.

Looking at Wednesday's game, I've a feeling the main objective there is after the game it now has an hour of Coronation Street from 8 to 9. This clashes with Fair City's hour long special too so hoping that they can do some damage there.

I don't expect any of Man Utds games to be shown on VM2. They'd prob remain on VM Sport to drive that channel, with Wolves and Arsenal on VM2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Mainly, I think it’s because they can no longer show highlights of the other games like they could in the previous contract (when they were on Wednesday). Even so they seem to have to wrap up the postgame in a dreadful hurry.

yeah barely any analysis of the game they've just shown, feels unnecessarily rushed. 19:30-22:30 would make more sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Have Virgin media sport on Sky through Eir. The commentators say VM sports extra channels 1-5 are available through the red button but nothing happens when I press it?

Is there something I'm missing? Are the red button matches exclusive to somewhere else?

Thanks for any info.

Advertisement