Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Rylan-Clark Neal also presents the remake of Supermarket Sweep on ITV2. Would that be on any of the VMT channels here?

You would think that alright but I think RTÉ are preventing them from showing it!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/government-should-not-pander-to-rt%C3%A9-rival-virgin-tells-minister-1.4030262

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So Virgin Media are effectively looking for no competition in some television rights. All in the interest of the viewer I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Elmo wrote: »
    When you say "similar concept" do you mean exactly the same? I think the only difference was that the might have had a wheel they spun to get the ingredients.

How does Rylan get work seriously!

What I meant was almost the same or pretty close in terms of programme idea. I remember that in Ready Steady Cook, the contestants were allowed a modest sum of money to go away and provide their own choice of ingredients within a certain budget and then one of the chefs would then make suggestions and then actively help the contestant to produce a meal & dessert against the clock! Two teams were competing with each other with a chef on each side!

As for Rylan getting the gig, I presume he is getting it because the BBC probably expects him to attract audience interest during daytime as he's been a familiar face on UK television screens after his work on This Morning on ITV. Viewers will either love it or hate it however; if the ratings are too low after a certain period of time, it could face the axe.

lertsnim wrote: »
    So Virgin Media are effectively looking for no competition in some television rights. All in the interest of the viewer I am sure.

Which they have as far as ITV Studios is concerned they really cann't blame RTÉ for high prices at ITV Studios when RTÉ have little or no interest in that product since 2001.
    I remember that in Ready Steady Cook, the contestants were allowed a modest sum of money to go away and provide their own choice of ingredients within a certain budget and then one of the chefs would then make suggestions and then actively help the contestant to produce a meal & dessert against the clock! Two teams were competing with each other with a chef on each side!

I remember that in Pot Luck, the contestants were allowed a spin of a wheel and provide their own choice of ingredients within a certain budget on the wheel and then one of the chefs would then make suggestions and then actively help the contestant to produce a meal & dessert against the clock! Two teams were competing with each other with a chef on each side!

Which they have as far as ITV Studios is concerned they really cann't blame RTÉ for high prices at ITV Studios when RTÉ have little or no interest in that product since 2001.

I remember that in Pot Luck, the contestants were allowed a spin of a wheel and provide their own choice of ingredients within a certain budget on the wheel and then one of the chefs would then make suggestions and then actively help the contestant to produce a meal & dessert against the clock! Two teams were competing with each other with a chef on each side!

On Ready Steady Cook one team: were Red Tomato Vs the other team: Green Pepper. Each contestant was paired with one of two chefs and the contestant presented their own bag of ingredients (within a specified budget) to the chef assigned to their team. Once the chef came up with an ambitious plan to utilise all of the ingredients supplied, each team would have about 20minutes to prepare a main course dish. The host would then interject with each side along the way. After the clock countdown finished and inspection/tasting was over, the studio audience was then asked to declare which side deserved to win by displaying either a Red Tomato or Green Pepper depending on the side they felt had won the contest! The winning side used often have an additional 10 minutes to prepare a nice dessert afterwards although; I think the ingredients for the dessert were supplied by the programme host if I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

lertsnim wrote: »

Whatever their interest, I'd generally with him.
    No public money should be spent on imports etc.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Whatever their interest, I'd generally with him.
    No public money should be spent on imports etc.

I think RTÉ spend too much money on imports. However I’d seriously question any assertion from VM that RTÉ are causing them damage, or that VM is any better run than RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

RTE use taxpayers money and dump plenty off Oz and U.S. show's on at 2am or 3am that VM would gladly pay for and show if they could get them.

I think RTÉ spend too much money on imports. However I’d seriously question any assertion from VM that RTÉ are causing them damage, or that VM is any better run than RTÉ.

VM has definitely relied heavily on programme content from the various itv run firms. Too much airtime to fill with their current suite of tv channels that you have too much repeat material - That's why you have a catch-up service, Virgin Media Player.

RTÉ has become lazy churning out shows like The Late Late Show, Ray D'Arcy Show each wkd from Autumn>Spring. The hosts are overpaid and only poor to average most weekends. Ryan Tubridy generates significant revenue for RTÉ with the annual Late Late Toy Show and he should be paid fairly for his involvement in same as I gather a lot of work goes into it. However; this hardly warrants every other Friday night 09:35-11:35 of prime time television given over to an outdated Late Late Show as the formula that once worked well for Gay Byrne no longer fits this multi-media era. It's must watch tv moments are rare nowadays.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    RTE use taxpayers money and dump plenty off Oz and U.S. show's on at 2am or 3am that VM would gladly pay for and show if they could get them.

I don’t agree with RTÉ use of imported content, but you can’t honestly believe that VM can’t compete with RTÉ. I also don’t believe VM would use them, their use of ITV programming outside the soaps & reality is outstandingly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Delta2113 wrote: »

What have they done to show that this would be the case? Virgin Media have shown they are more than happy to show the same ITV rubbish again and again. They look to have no interest in buying in anything else. Doing things on the cheap is what they are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

TV3s record of shows outside of the ITV catalogue have been very limited since at least 2010.

Remember that they inherited a lot of decent programmes from the Channel 6 purchase, and had a chance to continue them on, but lost interest and failed to show newer series. Ones like Curb, Always Sunny, NCIS, and they've also stopped showing American Dad and Family Guy. TV3 didn't bother showing Modern Family after season 4. There is just a lack of sitcoms across their 3 channels anyway.
    Quizzes take up a huge amount of time in the daytime instead. Quizzes that have been broadcast several times, and have questions that are very out of date as those shows would have been made years ago.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Remember that they inherited a lot of decent programmes from the Channel 6 purchase, and had a chance to continue them on, but lost interest and failed to show newer series. Ones like Curb, Always Sunny, NCIS, and they've also stopped showing American Dad and Family Guy. TV3 didn't bother showing Modern Family after season 4. There is just a lack of sitcoms across their 3 channels anyway.

Yeah I was just thinking of Channel 6 in relation to Imports and even TG4, I just don't think VM can suggest that RTÉ are causing them problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I really don’t know why they don’t put ITV daytime shows on VM2 or 3 if they want to put all these pointless homegrown ’chat’ shows on VM1. Those new schedules are really awful. I don’t know what their target market is - probably hospital and doctor waiting rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Seaman Duck

Could/should RTE snap up some of the live itv shows that virgin aren't using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭its_steve116

TV3s record of shows outside of the ITV catalogue have been very limited since at least 2010.

Quizzes take up a huge amount of time in the daytime instead. Quizzes that have been broadcast several times, and have questions that are very out of date as those shows would have been made years ago.
    I think it wanted nothing to do with the old Channel 6 channel and its programmes. It knew Channel 6 was a big failure and it wanted to move on from it very quickly. I think it is a pity there are no sitcoms, I really like sitcoms. UTV Ireland showed Plebs which is one of my favourite programmes. I am watching the new series on ITV2 on Monday nights. It was bad enough that the Channel 6 studio programming was let go of but to let go of NCIS/IASIP/Curb Your Enthusiasm/Modern Family was just a step in the wrong direction.

I think it wanted nothing to do with the old Channel 6 channel and its programmes. It knew Channel 6 was a big failure and it wanted to move on from it very quickly.

Channel 6 had a difficult time, at first only on Cable and when it did get on Sky way up the EPG and slowly moved down the EPG. By the time TV3 took it over it was getting 1.9% in the first few months as 3e it drop back to 1.5% and TV3 then decided to drop Coro st & Emmer repeats, and then it was part of Saorview. So no channel 6 was just starting to grow, just took them too long.

Did Xposé just repeat their 10th anniversary show?

Did Xposé just repeat their 10th anniversary show?

Went through the show quickly enough earlier. There was a 5 minute piece that they did a Gogglebox type review that they did for 10 years. Other than that, it was a new show with some new pieces, along with a look back at best bits.

Another note that Elaine wasn't on today at 3pm. Wonder will the 11am be a recording from the previous day, and so it will not be live in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Went through the show quickly enough earlier. There was a 5 minute piece that they did a Gogglebox type review that they did for 10 years. Other than that, it was a new show with some new pieces, along with a look back at best bits.

Another note that Elaine wasn't on today at 3pm. Wonder will the 11am be a recording from the previous day, and so it will not be live in the mornings.
    Thankfully Xposé is now in the past where it belongs. ;-)

• Advertisement

Thankfully Xposé is now in the past where it belongs. ;-)

:sets up account: to bemoan the loss of an institution :) and TV3's entertainment show. :pac:

I'd say Virgin Media have first refusal. Should they no, they should not. RTÉ have enough imported content, and it would really look bad if they started airing This Morning just as Virgin Media complained that they in some way stopping Virgin Media from buying imported content.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They seem to be very slow at airing some of the bought in ITV programmes such as Victoria, Grantchester.

For example, Sanditon is airing on ITV at the moment. Getting coverage\previews in the Irish media and in The Sunday Times.

I would have thought it would make sense to capitalise on that and air the show at least within same month.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They seem to be very slow at airing some of the bought in ITV programmes such as Victoria, Grantchester.

For example, Sanditon is airing on ITV at the moment. Getting coverage\previews in the Irish media and in The Sunday Times.

I would have thought it would make sense to capitalise on that and air the show at least within same month.

Sandition's production company is Red Planet Pictures (according to wiki). Virgin Media does not have a deal set up with them to broadcast the programme, and other programmes they produce - judging by their catalogue.

It would look like ITV has exclusive first showing rights to these dramas like Victoria, A Confession, Cleaning Up, Liar, Bancroft etc. So VMTV broadcast it either an hour later or a week or so later too.

Sandition's production company is Red Planet Pictures (according to wiki). Virgin Media does not have a deal set up with them to broadcast the programme, and other programmes they produce - judging by their catalogue.

It would look like ITV has exclusive first showing rights to these dramas like Victoria, A Confession, Cleaning Up, Liar, Bancroft etc. So VMTV broadcast it either an hour later or a week or so later too.

It just shows how bad a deal Virgin Media made with ITV. Surely on the back of buying UTV Ireland from ITV they would have stipulated that Drama's from the ITV Studios would be broadcast along with ITV.

According to UTV Ireland they could not air one major ITV Studio's BBC drama for at least a year and a half after its broadcast on BBC, in this day and age this is crazy.

Back in the days when most of the tv viewing population away from the border overspill and East coast regions, tv viewers here in the Republic were glad to get a chance to view BBC/ITV programmes on RTÉ TV if and when they only had access to RTÉ television in this jurisdiction. Back in the 1970's/80's viewers got to watch shows like, Match Of The Day, Top Of The Pops, Coronation Street, This Is Your Life, Tomorrow's World, Noel Edmond's Late Late Breakfast Show, Jim'll Fix It (unfortunately!!) Wogan, Blankety Blank, Wimbledon Tennis Championships and so on etc;
    Nowadays, the vast majority of the Irish population can access itv shows free via digital satellite (if using Sky digibox itv channels can all be manually tuned-in and stored in Other Channels although; a generic free to air satellite receiver will also tune in these services)

Meanwhile for those who subscribe to Virgin's cable tv service, it is my understanding that they can only receive itv3 and itv4 from itv along with BBC and Channel 4 suite of channels etc;

• Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Meanwhile for those who subscribe to Virgin's cable tv service, it is my understanding that they can only receive itv3 and itv4 from itv along with BBC and Channel 4 suite of channels etc;

Yep - there's no main ITV channel on VM digital service.
    Not available under any of their packages.
    ITV3 and ITV4 are there but sometimes live sport coverage is blacked out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Even in the 80s/90s RTÉ wouldn't have gone after ITV or BBC daytime/morning programming.

AFAIK Virgin Media only has access to Channel 4 opt out channels (C4, E4, More4 and Film 4 not sure if they provide all the +1s, no 4seven).
    Jim'll Fix It (unfortunately!!)

Did they? I always thought they had Pat's Chat instead of it. By the late 80s most of those shows had disappeared from RTÉ, with Top of the Pops going by the early 90s.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yep - there's no main ITV channel on VM digital service.
    Not available under any of their packages.
    ITV3 and ITV4 are there but sometimes live sport coverage is blacked out.

I suspect that as Virgin Media Television have held the rights to broadcast itv material such as This Morning, Loose Women etc; in this jurisdiction that it's relationship with it's sister cable tv company will not permit itv's main channels from being relayed as this would negatively impact on audience viewing figures on Virgin Media branded channels showing similar content that originates from the itv stable.

You will recall why much of the content on the short-lived "UTV Ireland" channel aimed at Republic of Ireland viewers caused the original UTV (Ulster Television, Belfast) to be completely removed from Irish cable tv platforms. which caused outrage amongst long time UTV viewers down south mainly due to the fact that viewers of UTV Ireland (Dublin) were expected to be "satisfied" will older series of certain shows being broadcast instead while UTV (Belfast) got to show same as rest of itv network in the UK. As UTV Ireland was later acquired by Virgin Media they were not going to allow UTV (Belfast) to ever return to Virgin cable tv platforms as they held rights to broadcast itv material in Republic of Ireland.

Generic free-to-air digital satellite tv (once satellite dish is pointed towards 28.2 degrees east) allows free access to all BBC's channels portfolio*, itv's channels, Channel 4's channels, Channel 5's channels etc;

except "BBC World News TV" which is available on Virgin Media cable tv and other satellite frequencies not aimed at UK/Ireland footprint as the BBC News Channel is intended for UK domestic audiences

• Advertisement

You will recall why much of the content on the short-lived "UTV Ireland" channel aimed at Republic of Ireland viewers caused the original UTV (Ulster Television, Belfast) to be completely removed from Irish cable tv platforms. which caused outrage amongst long time UTV viewers down south mainly due to the fact that viewers of UTV Ireland (Dublin) were expected to be "satisfied" will older series of certain shows being broadcast instead while UTV (Belfast) got to show same as rest of itv network in the UK. As UTV Ireland was later acquired by Virgin Media they were not going to allow UTV (Belfast) to ever return to Virgin cable tv platforms as they held rights to broadcast itv material in Republic of Ireland.

Still around just re-branded much like TV3 :) I'd say the removal of UTV from Virgin Media was more to do with TV3 than with Virgin Media at the time.

Advertisement