Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Elmo wrote: »
    Ah see your much more creative than I, If only I had put the word Show at the end :pac: Bet those are the titles given tomorrow :)

We forget that Champions League might only have a few months left on TV3.

It's also important to point out that these changes need to be made in the next few weeks, All that ITV programming except for the soaps and the shows they're keeping needs to be shifted off to 3e, to give new shows a chance to gain some sort of audience. Trying to bring on all these new shows once the soaps go would be A fatal mistake.

They really need that Evening show to go out at 8 as soon as possible and Any other new shows need to be on air by the end of September. They should have been on since the start of the year but that boat has left the port.

If they try to launch a New schedule with loads of new shows from the 1st of January they'll be knocked out of the water by UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It's also important to point out that these changes need to be made in the next few weeks, All that ITV programming except for the soaps and the shows they're keeping needs to be shifted off to 3e, to give new shows a chance to gain some sort of audience. Trying to bring on all these new shows once the soaps go would be A fatal mistake.

They really need that Evening show to go out at 8 as soon as possible and Any other new shows need to be on air by the end of September. They should have been on since the start of the year but that boat has left the port.

If they try to launch a New schedule with loads of new shows from the 1st of January they'll be knocked out of the water by UTV.

TV3 probably have no choice, Advertisers will not accept programming moving to 3e unless a substantial discount is given.

There will be a lot of hype at the new season launch, it will be interesting to see if any journalist will ask or comment on the difficult questions.

Infoanon wrote: »
    TV3 probably have no choice, Advertisers will not accept programming moving to 3e unless a substantial discount is given.

There will be a lot of hype at the new season launch, it will be interesting to see if any journalist will ask or comment on the difficult questions.

I'd agree with you about that, However viewing figures for the shows are pretty low to begin with. Advertisers care about how many viewers and some of the shows that are currently on TV3 don't rate well as it is. The Soaps couldn't be moved and X factor is worth keeping but a lot of the other shows might do almost as well with a different show in the time slot. Plus You have to have to break the habit gently. Going cold Turkey on the 1st of January will lead to problems almost straight away.

This might be their last chance to get things right. I can imagine on the 5th of January. Those that turn on TV3 and find A new TV3 evening show are likely to run off to the new home of The soaps, so you're looking at Late Lunch Ratings in Primetime.

I'm sure some tough questions will be asked and they will be answered. But the answers will be the usual cloud cuckoo land stuff no doubt. Most will just enjoy the event and rewrite the press release they're given.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In fairness to TV3! I can't imagine audience figures as low as Late Lunch Live in prime time, I expect TV3 to have the same kind of audience they had pre-Granada

In fairness to TV3! I can't imagine audience figures as low as Late Lunch Live in prime time, I expect TV3 to have the same kind of audience they had pre-Granada

I'd agree but all it's audience will have headed off with the soaps. There would be very few people that would be watching the Soaps causally. At the same time anyone who's sitting down and not paying too much attention to TV matters but doesn't like soaps will naturally head away from TV3 and UTV.

Even at the moment when you look at TV3's top 20 for the week, Programmes 20 only makes it to 100,000 viewers. These shows won't be anywhere near the top 20 so while Late Lunch figures might be an over-exaggeration, it might be only by 10,000 or so.

That's why they need to build new shows up now, then move them to new times in January. That way they might give themselves a fighting chance.
    You really can't over-estmate how poorly TV3 and RTE2 are doing in Prime time at this stage. That's why Advertisers are heading off to Sat stations and why UTV sees an opening.

• Advertisement

Another very pro TV3 Column from the Independent stable.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/columnists/daragh-keany/its-absurd-that-rte-gets-my-full-160

He goes on that it's not fair that TV3 have to compete in such a tough market and has the bright idea that the Licence fee is divided up on pro rata level

He seems to ignore the fact that TV3 already get funding from the licence fee via the Sound and Vision Fund.

TV3 knew the rules when they got the licence and opened back in 1998. UTV have no problem coming in here and operating as a commercial Station.

He says that it's a great station run by great people but just can't compete with the might of RTE, SKY and UTV. Normally in this situation UTV would be the underdog
    Plus if it's so great the audience won't follow the ITV soaps and programmes. However, the truth is that the audience are the ones that will decide it's faith and at the moment
    it's more likely to be a thumbs down.

It's not a very important article on it's own because not many will read it and it's highly biased and inaccurate, but I reckon we'll see a lot more like this from the independent stable over the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This post has been deleted.

I think they just follow orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dinny is definitely trying to soften up public opinion for what will end up being a major issue when he tries to buy TV3 - as the Competition Authority, BAI and the DCENR would all have damn good reasons to refuse that.

If the general public have been force-fed the idea of "poor Irish TV3, being bullied by THE BRITISH, they need to be saved by someone rich and Irish..." that'll sway governmental and regulatory decisions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MYOB wrote: »
    Dinny is definitely trying to soften up public opinion for what will end up being a major issue when he tries to buy TV3 - as the Competition Authority, BAI and the DCENR would all have damn good reasons to refuse that.

If the general public have been force-fed the idea of "poor Irish TV3, being bullied by THE BRITISH, they need to be saved by someone rich and Irish..." that'll sway governmental and regulatory decisions.

Like a tax exile?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

If it did happen I'd say BAI would see them as a White Knight and agree, they might put conditions on such as to sell 98FM or the 2 Spin stations.... but would it be worth it Communicorps considering the loan book with TV3.

Surely it should be Today fm or newstalk they should have to sell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Like a tax exile?

And like the UK private equity owned TV3 are "Irish".
    Surely it should be Today fm or newstalk they should have to sell ?

I suspect it'd be a national and a Dublin if such a deal could be made - 3 station in Dublin plus two nationals plus a TV station would be untenable.

The only issue is that the only group with the cash to buy two stations is... UTV. Who wouldn't be allowed buy both either.

2015 Launch starting in a few.

Nothing really yet from twitter. Googlebox, RWC, Champions League, not much else so far. 38 new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looks like there will be a male addition to Xpose

iseegirls wrote: »
    Looks like there will be a male addition to Xpose

A new 'member'

Just been announced - Peter O Riordan. Seems to be someone associated with a TMZ video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Just been announced - Peter O Riordan. Seems to be someone associated with a TMZ video.

Oh I remember him I'll be surprised if he gets a warm welcome considering his only time in the spotlight was when he announced that all Irish people don't have a clue who Beyonce and JayZ are.

Massive UFC news! Exclusive free to air broadcast rights for UFC on @3eIreland #TV3AutumnLaunch

Great news for 3e there.

Massive UFC news! Exclusive free to air broadcast rights for UFC on @3eIreland #TV3AutumnLaunch

Great news for 3e there.

Think we all eat humble pie on that news.

• Advertisement

Just to point out to be wary about all that you read today...

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/two-stars-of-new-soap-red-rock-and-new-xpose-presenter-to-be-revealed-for-tv3-autumn-schedule-30541158.html

In this helpful piece we are told that Xpose will be the first show to be filmed live in the HD studio:eek: ....
    Hopefully someone has told
    Vincent,
    The Ireland AM crew.
    and others.

Just to point out to be wary about all that you read today...

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/two-stars-of-new-soap-red-rock-and-new-xpose-presenter-to-be-revealed-for-tv3-autumn-schedule-30541158.html

In this helpful piece we are told that Xpose will be the first show to be filmed live in the HD studio:eek: ....
    Hopefully someone has told
    Vincent,
    The Ireland AM crew.
    and others.

Odd article alright. No official word yet on whether they will indeed keep airing shows like Ant&Dec, The Cube etc alongside UTVi.
    Hopefully some pdf brochure will be posted online later on with a detailed list.

Other shows cropping up on Twitter include Lucy Kennedy's Blind Date, Drama called The Guarantee, Ray Foley's The Algorithm, Jason Byrne's Snaptastic Show, David McWilliams interview series and an Irish Gogglebox.

The thing with a TV3 launch is that the announce every single show they are going to show, some one offs others 4 to 6 eps long and last year it look like they have a huge amount of new shows but when you stood back there were few and far between.

So far the only big and unknown announcement has be 3e's UFC rights.

Everything else has being signalled for months. No news on the new evening show or anton savage.

The thing with a TV3 launch is that the announce every single show they are going to show, some one offs others 4 to 6 eps long and last year it look like they have a huge amount of new shows but when you stood back there were few and far between.

So far the only big and unknown announcement has be 3e's UFC rights.

Everything else has being signalled for months. No news on the new evening show or anton savage.

Yep, true. I think I've seen The Lazy Chef being in the last 3 autumn releases before. Odd if they haven't announced anything that would be replacing the soaps though.

More detailed article here:

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=143917

Regarding Anton Savage:
    "Broadcaster Anton Savage will move into presenting his own Primetime show called Get the Numbers Write. Funded by the BAI and produced by ShinAWil Get the Numbers Write will follow five people across a six week accredited course as they improve their literacy skills."

Regarding Anton Savage:
    "Broadcaster Anton Savage will move into presenting his own Primetime show called Get the Numbers Write. Funded by the BAI and produced by ShinAWil Get the Numbers Write will follow five people across a six week accredited course as they improve their literacy skills."

A real ratings winner there.:D

Honestly what a waste of a half decent presenter. Basically it's a remake of the show Derek Mooney did on RTE 1 a few years ago, and that didn't exactly set the world alight. It is a worthwhile programme but would TV3 even bother with it if it wasn't BAI funded?

Xpose doubling to a hour might be a huge mistake. I'm not one to defend TV3 but I could see the point entirely when the show was started. It was a smart move and at the start there was more of a focus on Entertainment News. It has morphed into another of TV3 Almost infomercial shows.

I can't be grumbling as it does bring in enough viewers and money to justify it while paying the staff some of the lowest wages in TV.

However, I have every right to despair for the Station, The Nation and Humanity itself when this bit of news about the show came out.

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=143907

It's almost as if it's the second coming of Christ! I'd fear for TMZ according to this as he seems to have been responsible for almost every major breaking story over the last few years.

On a serious point having seen some of his previous work I don't know if he's a good fit for Xpose as it currently exists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I say rtetv, UTVI are not running scared from today with pile of bad tv content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Regarding Anton Savage:

That article also states

Sport will be a huge winner for TV3 in 2015. The channel has secured exclusive Irish rights to air all 48 matches of next year’s Rugby World Cup and will cover the tournament in full HD with great new panellists and a new approach to TV presentation. It will be the biggest TV event of the year and TV3 has exclusive access to all of the Rugby World Cup action.

While covering the rugby in hd is one thing, are they going to actually broadcast it to the public in hd?

Advertisement