Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

If they don't get the champions League and close the sport channels they could use that money. They won't but they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If they don't get the champions League and close the sport channels they could use that money. They won't but they could.

- Already confirmed they didn't get it e.g. Tommy Martin on Twitter March 1.

I don't think they will close the Sports channel for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Dindane wrote: »
    It's very frustrating. But it's been like this for quite a while.

They used to have a lot more studio output during the day, but have obviously settled on slots where they think they will get an audience.

I've often wondered what the point is of showing Graham Norton the night after it's been on BBC1.

As for the mass repeating of the same shows over and over... Genuine question. What would people like them to show instead?

Take today, on VM2 there is only 90minutes of non-ITV/ITV Studios programming. A repeat of Ireland AM at 1.30pm, and the News at 8, which was moved from VM1 to make way for Corrie.

On VM3, outside of the kids shows block, the only non-ITV/ITV Studios programming is a repeat of Elaine at 9am. Everything from 10am till close is all ITV and all repeats.

Outside of probably live sport, Judge Judy and Law And Order: SVU, they are solely reliant on ITV Studios to fill 2 channels, and a lot on VM One. VM2, VM3, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 are near showing the same things week in, week out.

They ripped apart Channel 6, and started repeats of TV3 programmes. They had a decent collection of programmes (Modern Family, Family Guy, American Dad, Conan, Malcolm, Pretty Little Lies) and would rather remove them for Tipping Point which was the cheaper option. Why didn't they team up with BBC Three at this time instead?

There's no live stand-up, no live music (apart from the umpteenth repeat of Tommy Fleming), no homemade quizzes, no homemade entertainment shows, got rid of Ireland's Got Talent and Red Rock. The past 12 months have been horrendous. They had the whole nation indoors for long periods of time - this was their chance to make a change - but instead they kept on 4 hours of The Chase and 3 hours of Judge Rinder every single day and panicked when the soaps were reduced, along with losing Jeremy Kyle a few months previous to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dulpit wrote: »
    To repeat something I have said here multiple times. They are a garbage channel who do as little as possible, so don't be surprised at even these little annoyances...

I'll just repost what I sent before...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Could they not try something like channel 6 again would that work. I know channel 6 failed but they could show some american comedies and drama and get away from ITV on one channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Could they not try something like channel 6 again would that work. I know channel 6 failed but they could show some american comedies and drama and get away from ITV on one channel.

Channel 6 didn't fail, it was just picking up when TV3 bought it out, it had achieved a 2% by the end, here's a channel only available on Pay TV put to the back of the channel lists by both UPC and Sky. It was just too early for Saorview.

I think they have potential to clearly define their channels but when your able to get 17% share with what you are showing why would you bother?

VM2 and 3 are getting 6% on their own, and for some reason 3 has seen a massive increase in audience in the last 2 months.

I agree with Dulpit on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Elmo wrote: »
    Channel 6 didn't fail, it was just picking up when TV3 bought it out, it had achieved a 2% by the end, here's a channel only available on Pay TV put to the back of the channel lists by both UPC and Sky. It was just too early for Saorview.

I think they have potential to clearly define their channels but when your able to get 17% share with what you are showing why would you bother?

VM2 and 3 are getting 6% on their own, and for some reason 3 has seen a massive increase in audience in the last 2 months.

I agree with Dulpit on this.

Doesn't Heartbeat do fairly well for VM3 at 8?

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Doesn't Heartbeat do fairly well for VM3 at 8?

I haven't taken a look at the figures in a while but I suspect so, since it moves over from VM2 to VM3 at 8 VM3 has seen its audience rise, with no really effect to VM2's audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

75,000 average for their 8pm run for Heartbeat which is pretty decent.

I see VM1 have the 2020 Christmas specials of Who Wants To Be a Millionaires on Easter Sunday and Monday. And there's an Xmas film on VM3 on Monday morning too. Just another day for VM and their random scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

If the 3 channels were to be rebranded, what could they call them? VM1 could easily become TV3 again, after all it will have position 3/103 on EPG's, but if the other two channels are to be kept, would they be better trying their own separate brands or keep part of the TV3 branding?

Could they run TV3 and Channel 6 as separate brands but cross promoting each other? Having Channel 6 back might make people think they aren't part of the same dross as be3 and 3e became and may be more inclined to give it a try?

If they even brought back Channel 6 as a brand, would it not be odd that there is RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2, TV3, TG4 and then a jump to Channel 6 with nothing related to 5 to go in between? Maybe the branding for the new channels could be TV3, TV5 and TV6? The TV part of the logo bands them together as a brand but the numerals are the main differential logo and personality for the channel?

There's certainly plenty of options for what they could do, but VM1, VM2 and VM3 are just not watched in our house because we know they just show crap and repeats, but clearly they have an audience for that if they are getting numbers like they do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They won’t bring Channel 6 back as a brand. To the extent that the name ever made any sense (I think they may have been counting Setanta as the fifth channel, but more likely to avoid any confusion with the U.K. Channel 5) it makes no sense now since it was moved to 105 on VM ages ago. Nor is there anyone nostalgic for Channel 6 era - most people have forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

icdg wrote: »
    They won’t bring Channel 6 back as a brand. To the extent that the name ever made any sense (I think they may have been counting Setanta as the fifth channel, but more likely to avoid any confusion with the U.K. Channel 5) it makes no sense now since it was moved to 105 on VM ages ago. Nor is there anyone nostalgic for Channel 6 era - most people have forgotten about it.

Initially it was on 106 (with setanta on 105) but as you say I doubt 99% of the public even remember it

As has been said loads of times, Virgin TV here don’t really care how some perceive them. If they get the right numbers to satisfy advertisers with repeats, they’ll do that

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s the old adage really.

Commercial TV’s product is advertising space. The purpose of the programmes is to generate an audience for the advertising.

icdg wrote: »
    It’s the old adage really.

Commercial TV’s product is advertising space. The purpose of the programmes is to generate an audience for the advertising.

This is true but... VMTV is supposed to be the National Commercial Public Service Broadcaster... Indeed when UTV Ireland (now VM3) had to get a Ministerial designation to appear on Saorview after TV3 (now VMTV) complained that it did not have a public service value.... What has changed? It's has no public service remit.

iseegirls wrote: »
    75,000 average for their 8pm run for Heartbeat which is pretty decent.

I see VM1 have the 2020 Christmas specials of Who Wants To Be a Millionaires on Easter Sunday and Monday. And there's an Xmas film on VM3 on Monday morning too. Just another day for VM and their random scheduling.

-Saw the Promo for WWTBAM and you could clearly see Christmas written in the background -pathetic.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    -Saw the Promo for WWTBAM and you could clearly see Christmas written in the background -pathetic.

This morning VM3 aired A Perfect Reciepe For Christmas and a Christmas Edition of Judge Rinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Are shows much cheaper when a broadcaster airs them at a later date or how does it work? Same with Ellen shown on RTE ONE they show Christmas episodes in March.

Are shows much cheaper when a broadcaster airs them at a later date or how does it work? Same with Ellen shown on RTE ONE they show Christmas episodes in March.

I am surprised no one is calling for Ellen to be removed.

American programmes have always been about 3 months behind.

WWTBAM isn't part of the ITV package of programmes that VMTV get, I think it is a different agreement with Sony. But I don't think it makes a difference on price, but ITV might have to show the programmes before the are distributed internationally.

I know that Poldark was held by BBC for a year and a half before it would become part of ITV's programming, I am surprised that Virgin Media never pick up on the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Noticed today that the VM Player is on Android TV. It took them long enough. App is decent enough and has live streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Seeing how when I was flicking around seeing how many Europa League games were on FTA that Virgin Three were showing an episode of Inspector Morse from 1992, I hope the channel's being paid for this.

Danny Boyle was directing before the start of his movie career.

Unfathomable.

• Advertisement

Dindane wrote: »
    Seeing how when I was flicking around seeing how many Europa League games were on FTA that Virgin Three were showing an episode of Inspector Morse from 1992, I hope the channel's being paid for this.

Danny Boyle was directing before the start of his movie career.

Unfathomable.

This is how you start a career.

Probable not costing them that much to show it.

ITV have switched Racing at Aintree today to ITV4 - Virgin Media Television won't be happy.

ITV have pulled Emmerdale and Coronation Street. I can't see Virgin showing the soaps so we might be lucky and get The Chase.

ITV have switched Racing at Aintree today to ITV4 - Virgin Media Television won't be happy.

Why?

Prince Philip died in England so news on ITV1.

Yes he has but how does the horse racing being moved to ITV4 make Virgin Media Television unhappy? They are still showing it on Virgin Media One as scheduled.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yes he has but how does the horse racing being moved to ITV4 make Virgin Media Television unhappy? They are still showing it on Virgin Media One as scheduled.

Yes but Virgin Media Ireland Tv subscribers can now watch it on ITV4 instead off Virgin Media One.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yes but Virgin Media Ireland Tv subscribers can now watch it on ITV4 instead off Virgin Media One.

Why would they? :confused:

Nobody is going to choose SD over HD when the coverage is identical except for ads.

Of course this is in reference to Sky and Virgin Media viewers. FTA the option is SD or SD.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Nobody is going to choose SD over HD when the coverage is identical except for ads.

You would be surprised - compare the ITV4 D.O.G. with Virgin - ITV4 easily the winner. Yes pity it's only SD but I watched on my phone so ITV4 all the way.

Advertisement