Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If Virgin Media show the games from the other 6 Nations tournaments; will they place them on VM1 like what they did with the Mens games?

It is likely that RTÉ 2 and VMTV 2 will be used for other games. VMTV had been pushing non-Irish matches to VMTV 2. So it is likely that both VMTV ONE and RTÉ ONE will be home to the Irish games.

Also I think RTÉ reduced the number of Women's games on Broadcast TV this year, keeping it to Irish games only.

This is as per RTÉ 2024 Strategy to move big sporting events to ONE.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don’t know that policy has formally been adopted yet, Elmo. It was part of a strategy of other measures and certainly to date most sport has stayed on RTE Two. My reading of it was that doing it would require news and current affairs programmes to be frequently pre-empted and that’s where the saving would be but in the current climate do you want to tell people there won’t be a Nine O’Clock News or Prime Time on a Tuesday evening because of Champions League.

As for VMTV, they’ll let commercial considerations be their guide, and yes I expect VM Two to be used on at least occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Virgin Media Two is being used for the three finals coming up - Heineken Cup, Europa League and Champions League. So they see this channel as their main sports coverage. Although it's weird that they'd show all their racing meetings on VM One.

Good news for Irish viewers regarding Six Nations. Would be good to see this as the new norm where RTE and VM work together to deliver big tournaments like Euros, World Cup etc.

icdg wrote: »
    I don’t know that policy has formally been adopted yet, Elmo. It was part of a strategy of other measures and certainly to date most sport has stayed on RTE Two. My reading of it was that doing it would require news and current affairs programmes to be frequently pre-empted and that’s where the saving would be but in the current climate do you want to tell people there won’t be a Nine O’Clock News or Prime Time on a Tuesday evening because of Champions League.

I don't know where the saving are other than to boost RTÉ ONE's audience and to more frequently remove programmes like Nationwide and Fair City from RTÉ ONE.

I don't think RTÉ where considering Champions League as part of the move of sport to RTÉ ONE, more likely to be Irish Six Nations, GAA Championship Finals, Irish Soccer euro and world qualifier games and not much more. (perhaps Euro and World Cup finals, and if we ever reach either Irish games).

As for news and Prime Time both take a break in August.

Yeah its a strategy that hasn't seen much come to fruition alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We need an RTE sport channel ..... on one of those channels showing a test screen ....... even if it contained just the test screen in the absence of a sports broadcast.

Lots of minority sport could be covered at very little cost ....... does it cost them to broadcast that test channel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

We need an RTE sport channel ..... on one of those channels showing a test screen ....... even if it contained just the test screen in the absence of a sports broadcast.

Lots of minority sport could be covered at very little cost ....... does it cost them to broadcast that test channel?

- Not going to happen.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Not going to happen.

Never said it would.
    Does not eliminate the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

namloc1980 wrote: »
    6Nations in blurry-vision on Virgin Saorview. Great.

Agree. Still effectively behind a paywall then as blurry vision for sport makes it unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

JDxtra wrote: »
    Agree. Still effectively behind a paywall then as blurry vision for sport makes it unwatchable.

What paywall? Its usually on BBC or ITV which can be got free to air on satellite for a little upfront outlay.

Agree that VM should be in HD long ago on Saorview.

dam099 wrote: »
    What paywall? Its usually on BBC or ITV which can be got free to air on satellite for a little upfront outlay.

Yes, VM not using HD on Saorview will deflect viewers to BBC/ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

dam099 wrote: »

- Only way this will happen is if Virgin are forced by legislation or terms etc. to go HD.

And Rugby authorities and RTE are obviously not bothered by the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

what is the strategy here from VM? it was rumored that VM paid twice what RTE was paying nearly 15million I think at the time to outbid them. Has the value this time fallen I wonder or has RTE put up the 50% to keep it at 15 million. I guess due to "commerical sensitivies" we will never know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, 'blurry vision' is hardly the same as it being behind a paywall on sky or BT.

You must have better eyes than I do as I wouldn't describe VM as 'blurry' as i watch their lunchtime news.

what is the strategy here from VM? it was rumored that VM paid twice what RTE was paying nearly 15million I think at the time to outbid them. Has the value this time fallen I wonder or has RTE put up the 50% to keep it at 15 million. I guess due to "commerical sensitivies" we will never know.

It depends on what VMTV are getting this time round. Will VMTV be home of the Irish matches alone or will they get the majority of the English games? with RTÉ taking Italy V Scotland, Wales and France.

This is an "in principle" I don't think the full details have been issued.

VM Sports focus on other sports outside of Champions Leagues looks a bit like Fuzzyvision to me.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Only way this will happen is if Virgin are forced by legislation or terms etc. to go HD.

And Rugby authorities and RTE are obviously not bothered by the fact.

The rugby authorities wouldn’t care if they were broadcasting the games in 405 line black and white as long as they get the same price.

This is a done to death issue on this forum (and indeed on this thread). It comes up time and time again and the reasons why are well known. The BAI have no control of standards and Comreg have no control over content. If Comreg mandated HD, they’d have to mandate it as minimum for all Irish TV channels including Oireachtas TV. That’s not going to happen. The 2rn rate card does not make going HD attractive. We’ve had this discussion loads of times.

The new deal is a position of improvement for the Saorview-only viewer (the only people who this effects). They’ll have some Six Nations games in HD now. Before they had no games in HD. Freesat viewers can watch in HD on BBC/ITV. Pay TV viewers get VM One HD. And just how many Saorview only viewers are that dedicated sports fans that they care about the extra detail of HD anyway?

Lads, 'blurry vision' is hardly the same as it being behind a paywall on sky or BT.

You must have better eyes than I do as I wouldn't describe VM as 'blurry' as i watch their lunchtime news.

Are you watching on Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    Freesat viewers can watch in HD on BBC/ITV.

I don't believe there has been any announcement regarding UK's rights yet. Heavily rumoured that they'll go behind a paywall with Amazon, BT and Sky interested.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I don't believe there has been any announcement regarding UK's rights yet. Heavily rumoured that they'll go behind a paywall with Amazon, BT and Sky interested.

BT are selling BT Sports no? or at least in discussions. Amazon have been mention too many times for sports, I only ever see tennis on that platform.

iseegirls wrote: »

No you are right, I was basing that on the current U.K. deal. That said, I would put good money now on BBC/ITV retaining. I don’t think BT (who are basically up for sale at the moment) are interested. I think Amazon and Sky may both be eyeing up the Autumn internationals instead. The Six Nations is wrong time of year for Amazon.

Virgin Media Television seem to be changing their social media. Anyone know what they are doing on Facebook if anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭KildareP

Hopefully the sharing of matches on RTÉ will highlight the dramatic difference in picture quality between RTÉ and Virgin Media and make them sort it out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

No, have a VM 360 box

All I'm saying is 'blurry and like its behind a paywall' is over dramatic.

No, have a VM 360 box ...

You obviously have never tried watching sport on VM via Saorview ........ else there is something very wrong with your eyes!

No, have a VM 360 box

All I'm saying is 'blurry and like its behind a paywall' is over dramatic.

You are watching it in HD already, courtesy of your Virgin Media subscription.

Nothing over dramatic about it - SD quality is awful for broadcasts in 2021, especially on larger TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Lads, have ye tried changing the picture settings on your TV

I use to watch everything in Dynamic setting and Standard Digital channels were crap.

I've changed it to Natural and its alot better, I've no problem watching sport on Virgin media now on Saorview.

I found a good guide for TV Picture settings
    https://success.highfive.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001923611-Recommended-TV-Picture-Settings-all-brands-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

FRIENDO wrote: »

I use to watch everything in Dynamic setting and Standard Digital channels were crap.

I've changed it to Natural and its alot better, I've no problem watching sport on Virgin media now on Saorview.

https://success.highfive.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001923611-Recommended-TV-Picture-Settings-all-brands-

I've tried all kinds of settings and nothing makes it good. It is simply appalling on Saorview and only a boost in resolution will resolve it. Same for TG4.

Ye cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    I regularly watch live TV as well as video on my desktop.
    Virgin media on Saorview is often worse than some of the old TV series shown on various satellite channels.

You might be happy with terrible VM quality but most of us are not ...... particularly with fast moving scenes such as sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Ye cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    I regularly watch live TV as well as video on my desktop.
    Virgin media on Saorview is often worse than some of the old TV series shown on various satellite channels.

You might be happy with terrible VM quality but most of us are not ...... particularly with fast moving scenes such as sport.

+1 to that, even for SD the quality is bad possibly a very low bit rate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

You remind me of the people 50 years ago who used to put the orange plastic wrapping from a Lucozade bottle over a black and white telly screen to " turn it into colour " !!! Standard definition on Saorview is absolutely appalling as everyone has said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I watch on Saorview and it's perfect. Even my neighbours compliment the quality as I'm only using rabbit ears and a box.
    Maybe the more modern TVs are set up to make it look shîte in order to get people to upgrade?
    I wouldn't be watching much sports though, just racing and rugby.

Advertisement