Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I watch on Saorview and it's perfect. Even my neighbours compliment the quality as I'm only using rabbit ears and a box.
    Maybe the more modern TVs are set up to make it look shîte in order to get people to upgrade?
    I wouldn't be watching much sports though, just racing and rugby.

Nope. The picture quality of virgin channels on saorview is pants. It's nothing to do with the TV set, it's the source signal. It's low bitrate. For sport in particular its muck.

If you have a particularly small TV then it might not be as obvious I guess, but otherwise, anyone who says virgin looks good on saorview is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I'm OK with it in SD
    I find With tv picture settings on Natural it the way SD channels are to be viewed
    Dynamic/Vivid etc picture settings just don't suit Standard Digital

Another option if you have reasonable Internet is Virgin player stations and TG4 can be watched live on their players and its HD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

VM Two sport listings this week

Tuesday night: UEFA Finals Preview - 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Wednesday night: Europa League Final - Villareal vs Manchester United - 7:00pm to 11:00pm

I presume the UEFA Champions League Final will take place on VM Two this Saturday from 6pm to 11:00pm.

Also on this year's National Television Awards in the UK. The new host for the ceremony is Joel Dommett.

Longlist nominations will begin on it's website tomorrow; May 25th. The ceremony will air on ITV on Thursday the 9th of September.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I presume the UEFA Champions League Final will take place on VM Two this Saturday from 6pm to 11:00pm.

7-11pm. Though the Sky EPG is all messed up for that day, with the Heineken Cup final (which was on Saturday 22nd) listed and even a rogue “This is 3e”!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The amount off D.O.G. now on Virgin Media Two but strangely they mention the kick off time 8PM rather than when coverage starts at 7PM. Even a bad thing they can't get right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Virgin Media Player isn't working. It just stays stuck on the load up screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

sligeach wrote: »
    The Virgin Media Player isn't working. It just stays stuck on the load up screen.

Working fine here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

Watching the game on Saorview on a 40 inch Sony full hd tv and I’m pleasantly surprised how good the receptions is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

With RTE having confirmed rights to Tuesday night matches and the final, do we have any clarity about Wednesdays?

With RTE having confirmed rights to Tuesday night matches and the final, do we have any clarity about Wednesdays?

- No word yet maybe Premier Sports.

• Advertisement

Nope. Previously reported that VMTV told its staff that it was no longer pursuing those particular rights. There’s a thread right below this one where it is being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Nope. Previously reported that VMTV told its staff that it was no longer pursuing those particular rights. There’s a thread right below this one where it is being discussed.

And to confuse both thread :)

Are we sure VM Ireland is up for sale.

I notice that VM TV and it channels have left twitter. Only VM Ireland, News and Sport are there now, is this the same on other social media platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Their social media has improved a bit in the last few weeks. It was just robotic tweets being sent previously.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Their social media has improved a bit in the last few weeks. It was just robotic tweets being sent previously.

Have they moved away from @VirginMedia_TV @VirginMedia_one _two and _3? or just going under the main Virgin Media Ireland brand?

Elmo wrote: »
    And to confuse both thread :)

Are we sure VM Ireland is up for sale.

Mike Fries, chief executive of the telecoms group, said during an analyst call following the company’s results last week that pursuing deals with mobile operators in Ireland and Poland was “high on our list” of priorities.

“It would be surprising to me if we ended 2021 without continued transformation . . . in those two markets, whatever that might look like,” he said.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3893643-15ef-48b6-b3b1-3082b23d1a16

The reality is that, as of the start of July, Virgin Media U.K. will no longer exist in its present form. That leaves the Irish operation “orphaned” (because it won’t be contributed to the JV with O2) and truth be told it doesn’t make much sense for it to continue to carry the Virgin Media brand. It will, organisationally, become part of what is left of UPC in the short term but really the break up of Liberty Global continues to carry pace and it will be JVed (Vodafone or Three might be candidates for a deal) or sold entirely before long.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The amount off D.O.G. now on Virgin Media Two but strangely they mention the kick off time 8PM rather than when coverage starts at 7PM. Even a bad thing they can't get right.

Just noticed today for the Champions League final they have 7PM when coverage starts rather than the kick off time.

Wonder can they just drop the Stay Safe message beside the DOG? Feels unnecessary nowadays.

Wonder can they just drop the Stay Safe message beside the DOG? Feels unnecessary nowadays.

RTE,TG4,Virgin Media should always have had the exact same message but yes what next 'Indian Film Weekend Coming Soon'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

They thought it necessary to tell us to stay safe?

Ridiculous!

Ridiculous!

Does anyone turn on Virgin Media, see the message and suddenly re-evaluate their recent and future activity cause of a token message on the screen? Doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Does anyone turn on Virgin Media, see the message and suddenly re-evaluate their recent and future activity cause of a token message on the screen? Doubt it.

No, but that's possibly to do with the fact it's barely legible on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Ridiculous!

RTÉ two have it as well

Maz2016 wrote: »
    RTÉ two have it as well

In Irish, while TG4 decided against it, most of the English channels have removed it at this stage.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3893643-15ef-48b6-b3b1-3082b23d1a16

The reality is that, as of the start of July, Virgin Media U.K. will no longer exist in its present form. That leaves the Irish operation “orphaned” (because it won’t be contributed to the JV with O2) and truth be told it doesn’t make much sense for it to continue to carry the Virgin Media brand. It will, organisationally, become part of what is left of UPC in the short term but really the break up of Liberty Global continues to carry pace and it will be JVed (Vodafone or Three might be candidates for a deal) or sold entirely before long.

Sunday Times suggesting today that the sale of Virgin Media Ireland sale may not happen in the short term.

That article doesn’t seem to appear in the online edition (if anyone can find it, a linkwould be appreciated - sometimes these things can be buried in unrelated stories).

That article doesn’t seem to appear in the online edition (if anyone can find it, a linkwould be appreciated - sometimes these things can be buried in unrelated stories).

Headline: Fries seems less gung-ho over Virgin Meida Deal
    By Brian Carey
    Mike Fries, the CEO of Liberty Global, has dampened expectations of a big move in the Irish market months after telling investors to "watch this space"....

"go big or go home"

They are looking to ad mobile ... with the group exiting other marginal markets in the past...

At JP Morgan European Technology Media & Telecoms CEO Conference last week (I am sure this can be found online) Fries said "I don't think ther's any obvious buyers today ... I'm not so sure it's an obvious exit"

They may enter the wholesale market "We are looking at some ways to possibly grow, invest and expand".

I am fairly sure that eir sold some of its mobile mast over the last few weeks???? so I am not sure why Virgin didn't consider a move it, perhaps they sidelined both Ireland and Poland.

Thanks, no I think the above is fine, not sure why it never appeared online.

I tend to agree with him, I think possibly Firies made his earlier comments in a “big picture” context without taking a close look at the Irish market.

It’s clear that Liberty is slowly dismantling itself, and selling off or partnering with local players.

But in making the earlier comments, he hung a “for sale” sign up without looking at who might buy that would fit the bill. There are three physical mobile network operators in this market. Eir will not be allowed buy Virgin, full stop. It would give them two physical networks and total dominance of the wholesale market. Three have shown no interest in wanting to be anything other than mobile phones and certainly owning a TV station doesn’t seem to be on the cards. That leaves Vodafone as the only clear buyer fitting Firies criteria - trouble is that Vodafone know that too, so might count on getting a deal on the cheap if Liberty were desperate to get out.

But in making the earlier comments, he hung a “for sale” sign up without looking at who might buy that would fit the bill. There are three physical mobile network operators in this market. Eir will not be allowed buy Virgin, full stop. It would give them two physical networks and total dominance of the wholesale market. Three have shown no interest in wanting to be anything other than mobile phones and certainly owning a TV station doesn’t seem to be on the cards. That leaves Vodafone as the only clear buyer fitting Firies criteria - trouble is that Vodafone know that too, so might count on getting a deal on the cheap if Liberty were desperate to get out.

I think they will try to sell the broadcast channels. I feel they were a white knight for TV3, while ITV deal for UTV Ireland and the ITV Studio rights were seen as important to TV3. The re-brand purely to provide the Brand some free advertising. BAI should have refused the name change. IMO.

Latest BAI funding announcements:

Fanning at Whelan’s, in which Dave Fanning showcases Irish artists performing at the Dublin music venue, was awarded €285,000 for a run of eight episodes on Virgin Media One.

• Advertisement

Latest BAI funding announcements:

Fanning at Whelan’s, in which Dave Fanning showcases Irish artists performing at the Dublin music venue, was awarded €285,000 for a run of eight episodes on Virgin Media One.

Also Lucy Kennedy ... The Life Of...

Not sure if it is about Lucy Kennedy or a similar series to Livin with Lucy same producers

Advertisement