Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Now Virgin Media 02 in the U.K. If anything I can see the 02 eventually being dropped.

Also I don't think it makes sense Virgin Media Ireland selling off the Tv Channels first - better to sell cable business and Tv together.

You interested Amazon and re-brand the channels -use cable van's for delivery as well - synergies are endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Now Virgin Media 02 in the U.K. If anything I can see the 02 eventually being dropped.

Also I don't think it makes sense Virgin Media Ireland selling off the Tv Channels first - better to sell cable business and Tv together.

You interested Amazon and re-brand the channels -use cable van's for delivery as well - synergies are endless.

I was looking just last night to see if they had come up with a new name Virgin Media O2 won't last as a brand, GlobalFonica anyone? :pac:

I think the telco unions might have have an issue with their tech becoming couriers for Amazon.

I wonder if O2 has a deal with 3 not to re-enter the Irish market for a number of years.

Virgin Media O2 TV ONE anyone :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s a school of thinking that says it will be VM that gets dropped, because the JV will own the O2 brand outright but continues to have to pay Richard Branson to use the VM brand. The company also outright owns the NTL and Telewest brands, so they are available for it to use too if paying Branson was thought to be a concern.

As for here, more likely to go back to UPC if they decide to hold on to them long term, but I don’t think they will. I get the impression a sale is only a matter of time even if that time is a bit longer than originally suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I can see Three maybe having an interest in the cable business, the TV Stations are a money pit though, and Hutch don't seem to have any experience or interest in TV anywhere.

No they don’t. That’s why I found Mike Fries original comments so strange, and can only take them as having been made in the context of the fact that he’s running a business so big that he hadn’t looked closely at the small picture in Ireland.

To recap, there are three mobile network operators here.

One, eir, also owns the only other comparable wired communications network here, and there currently isn’t a snowballs chance that the competition authorities will allow them to own both (again!). Also they’ve spent the last few years sueing each other and I expect there’s quite a bit of bad blood there.

The second, Three, has no experience or interest in television.

That leaves Vodafone.

Now if you want to sell a company, you don’t put yourself in a position where there’s only one company you want to sell it to, because that company will now expect to pay a bargain rate.

All quite odd. Maybe a deal will be done eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

I suppose the other option is some kind of MBO or Private Equity buy out but not sure they are big enough to be viable standalone and it didn't work so well for Eir in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The issue with Vodafone here is that it's TV business caters for IPTV users who have to use Vodafone Fibre to access the service.

Virgin Media, on the other hand, do cater for a separate customer base who want to use the cable TV channels while primarily not using the internet. If Vodafone do succeed in buying up the entire cable & TV channel business from VM Ireland in the future; where does this leave VM customers in terms of continuing on with their cable subscriptions along with using their current equipment to access the TV channels & catch-up services?

I think the VM customers in this case may have to give up using the V6 box in order to use Vodafone's TV equipment if there was officially a sale, that was initially agreed in principle between the 2 parties, which would eventually see the 2 companies merged under one roof along with official agreement from the competition authorities. If that were to happen here in Ireland in the future; it would probably cause a lot of controversy and anger among VM customers.

And some of the main potential issues being arisen here is trying to sort out issues with replacing VM equipment while they deal with Vodafone's terrible customer service & website. Also; you could also be seeing some old Vodafone customers who had moved away to use the VM TV subscription in recent times and to then be faced with using the Vodafone TV service again if they had been given the official go-ahead of owning the VM platform here in the future.

Can't see any company buying Virgin that own's it's own network and uses it exclusively dropping it - that would make no sense at all.

I think you’re probably getting into issues there that would only be considered after a merger/JV, tbh. The idea seems mainly to add a physical mobile network to the cable network so that offering “quadruple play” services isn’t dependant on keeping on side with a competitor mobile network.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dublinman1990 Vodafone are actually the largest cable operator in Europe now, owning the cable networks in Germany and other countries after buying them from Liberty global.

Looking at those markets, they seem to have no issues continuing to operate the traditional cable TV services, alongside their own IPTV services.

If anything they seem to be looking to drop the IPTV side and FTTH and go all in our the cable side and technologies as it is mature and has more customers.

Though in time, I suspect cable TV will become more IPTV like anyway and fibre will get deeper into the cable networks.

So if they were to buy VM here, I don’t think it would be an issue for them. What would be questionable is what would happen with SIRO.

• Advertisement

The Love Island D.O.G. - pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Late schedule change it seems, but the British & Irish Lions v Japan match is on VM2 on Saturday at 2pm. It's also on Channel 4. Nothing on their social media about it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Love Island D.O.G. - pathetic.

When Caroline died, the show should've died with her. But you know... contractual obligations...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

iseegirls wrote: »
    Late schedule change it seems, but the British & Irish Lions v Japan match is on VM2 on Saturday at 2pm. It's also on Channel 4. Nothing on their social media about it yet.

Source?

Rugby is showing on the EPG on the 360 box for Saturday on VM2.

Rugby is showing on the EPG on the 360 box for Saturday on VM2.

It is on the Sky EPG too, and explicitly named as Lions v Japan.

Official announcement. Will also have highlights of tour games.

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status/1408108272910049280?s=21

VMTV have also picked up rights to two South Africa test matches against Georgia for VM Two. Not sure if they came for free with the Lions highlights rights or something, because it seems an odd one for VMTV and Sky are also showing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

icdg wrote: »
    VMTV have also picked up rights to two South Africa test matches against Georgia for VM Two. Not sure if they came for free with the Lions highlights rights or something, because it seems an odd one for VMTV and Sky are also showing them.

Fair play to them - I enjoyed the coverage today and I don’t have sky sports so this is a bonus. From an Irish perspective frank murphy is referring the second text v Georgia 🇬🇪 which is a great appointment for him

• Advertisement

Another Sunday Times story today (paywall) about a VM Ireland sell off, not particularly much new in it apart from advisers having been appointed to pursue a sale but acknowledgement that potential buyers are basically not interested.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liberty-offload-virgin-media-ireland-uk-merger-o2-2f3gr3z5f

So they wanted to link up with Vodafone, Eir or Three and none off them interested. I wonder would BT come back or will it end up with some company nobody ever heard off and run the company on a shoestring budget even worse than Liberty Global.

Would ITV want a cable business - doubt it. This will be as hard to call as who got the Champions league rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Omar C

Thats taken from poster on digital spy..

You can read more about the sale of Virgin Media Ireland via the following link.
    https://informitv.com/2021/06/27/virgin-media-ireland-for-sale/

No soaps tonight - sure let's dig out a Corrie Special and Don't look back in anger LOL

No soaps tonight - sure let's dig out a Corrie Special and Don't look back in anger LOL

They'll be hoping to capitalize on Love Island as the football ends.

Does this mean the 3 stations could change name AGAIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I can't believe it's not TV3?

Could mean Virgin Media Ireland being rebranded again also.

Cablelink | Multichannel?
    NTL: | Chorus
    ChorusNTL:
    UPC
    Virgin Media Ireland

Possibly easier for Virgin Media TV channels to go back to TV3, 3e and be3

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Omar C

Elmo wrote: »
    Could mean Virgin Media Ireland being rebranded again also.

Cablelink | Multichannel?
    NTL: | Chorus
    ChorusNTL:
    UPC
    Virgin Media Ireland

Possibly easier for Virgin Media TV channels to go back to TV3, 3e and be3

I think we might see the itv channels for the 1st time ever in Ireland on sky..

• Advertisement

The laziness of them not updating their listings with this change beggars belief. They knew ITV would be showing the football on Monday night last week, and that both Emmerdale and Coronation Street are on Tuesday instead. Instead you have a Virgin Media TV box showing an incorrect guide for their own TV channels. And they still have the incorrect TV guide for tonight between 7-9.

Advertisement