Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

iseegirls wrote: »
    The laziness of them not updating their listings with this change beggars belief. They knew ITV would be showing the football on Monday night last week, and that both Emmerdale and Coronation Street are on Tuesday instead. Instead you have a Virgin Media TV box showing an incorrect guide for their own TV channels. And they still have the incorrect TV guide for tonight between 7-9.

They were finally updated on Sky at about 5pm Tuesday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I can't believe it's not TV3?

I still refer to it as TV3, I'm sure many others do! Virgin Media One is a bit of a mouthful.

I think anything is possible with the station names and brands. Potential buyers of the cable TV/broadband business may have no intertest in the stations. Either way, if VM/O2 in the UK use the VM branding going forward, and they are entirely separate from the Irish business - then they may have a sale condition that the VM branding can't be used here after a period of time.

I thought yer man John Malone, the Irish American who owns library global was committed to the Irish market ? It reminds me of the wealthy Irish man who was bank rolling Irish TV and said many times that we was committed to the project regardless but then bailed out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I thought yer man John Malone, the Irish American who owns library global was committed to the Irish market ? It reminds me of the wealthy Irish man who was bank rolling Irish TV and said many times that we was committed to the project regardless but then bailed out

That's was at the beginning. VM were purely to save TV3, afair the government removed TV3 from one trench of IRBC debt to avoid owning the broadcaster, Doherty Hanson then being able to re-finance the broadcaster, and later re-sell to VM.

Irish TV need someone to help them understand local TV/national TV, they were committed to repeats and little growth, their application to be a Public service broadcaster was purely marketing, as was the business mans love of the channel.

It was very soon after VM bought TV3 that you knew they had very little interest in Irish television or content.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

He’s 80, and while still chairman of the company, likely wouldn’t be involved in the day to day decision making to the extent he was.

Looking more broadly at LibertyGlobal now, it really has disassembled itself. It’s now less a large cable company and more an investor in a number of different operations where there are other strong partners. Poland, Slovakia, and Switzerland are the remaining 100% operations and they want out of Poland too. In terms of the Irish operation they had placed it under the control of the U.K. operation, which made sense, but have had to separate it now due to the identity of their JV partners and the fact that they had got out of Ireland previously. It’s kind of been orphaned by that process, doesn’t sit well with the remaining 100% operations, and would probably benefit from having more local management more familiar with this market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

At least they're finally showing newish episodes of The Chase again, it seems Darragh Ennis's first appearance will be aired some time this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

At least they're finally showing newish episodes of The Chase again, it seems Darragh Ennis's first appearance will be aired some time this week.

It’d be far easier for it to be come ITV Ireland and consolidate 2 and 3. There simply isn’t enough decent content to keep filling all that bandwidth!

The way programmes are scheduled across the three channels is just odd, endless repetition morning, noon and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

marclt wrote: »
    It’d be far easier for it to be come ITV Ireland and consolidate 2 and 3. There simply isn’t enough decent content to keep filling all that bandwidth!

The way programmes are scheduled across the three channels is just odd, endless repetition morning, noon and night.

Yeah but you mightn’t have seen the episode the first 50 times it was aired so they will air it again and again . They get fair mileage out of repeats. Red Rock is another one , was on again Monday night.
    It should be called Deja Vu 1,2,3

marclt wrote: »

I assume that ITV would use programmes as much as possible outside of the normal ITV Studios.

The problem that Virgin Media has is that it has little content outside VMTV daytime TV programming (including news) and ITV Studios.

They have this strategy and its largely worked.

10% + for VMONE
    3.5% for VMTWO
    2.5% for VMTHREE

RINCE AND REPEAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Don't get too carried away, looks like they're back to Series 10 (2016/17) episodes next week.

• Advertisement

Quite puzzled why they've stuck Love Island on Virgin Media One. There are going to be times where it's going to over run, and that'll affect The Tonight Show's timings then.

Even looking at upcoming schedule on VM1, a Big Interview with Mary Lou at 10pm tonight, meaning The Tonight Show at 11pm, the IFTA Awards are on at 10pm on Sunday, a homemade doc Vital Signs on at 11pm on Monday, an Irish music special - Strawberry Sessions on at 11pm on Wednesday. So home produced programming being pushed back, just to accommodate Love Island.

VM2 is obviously the best place to put it, and they have the right programming to wrap around it too - Ibiza Weekender on Mon, One Night With My Ex US on Tue, Schitts Creek on Fri.

And then you have a mess on VM2 every Monday evening there is the following:
    6pm The Chase
    7pm The Chase
    8pm The Chase Celebrity
    9pm The Chase Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Every year the BBC put Wimbledon on BBC2 and then if a big match happens with say an English player they move it to BBC1. It happened the other night and soaps got moved to BBC2.

It would make more sense just to show the tennis on BBC1 no matter who is playing and all regular soaps etc. go on BBC2 - forward planning but they won't.

When Broadcasters know a show will be big they can't help themselves shifting it to the main channel. Line of Duty eventually got moved from BBC2 to BBC1 and remember BBC don't even carry ads.

I agree with you about VM2 but it's a practice in the industry that they all seem to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Every year the BBC put Wimbledon on BBC2 and then if a big match happens with say an English player they move it to BBC1. It happened the other night and soaps got moved to BBC2.

It would make more sense just to show the tennis on BBC1 no matter who is playing and all regular soaps etc. go on BBC2 - forward planning but they won't.

It is very annoying if you wanted to record something.

Delta2113 wrote: »

When Broadcasters know a show will be big they can't help themselves shifting it to the main channel. Line of Duty eventually got moved from BBC2 to BBC1 and remember BBC don't even carry ads.

I agree with you about VM2 but it's a practice in the industry that they all seem to do.

Eastenders is still seen as a flagship show by the BBC, so will only be moved to BBC Two in the rarest circumstances, such as a clash with Murray - that said, releasing all weekly episodes on iPlayer is a rare awareness of an inevitable hammering from ITV Euro 2020 coverage.

Eastenders is still seen as a flagship show by the BBC, so will only be moved to BBC Two in the rarest circumstances, such as a clash with Murray - that said, releasing all weekly episodes on iPlayer is a rare awareness of an inevitable hammering from ITV Euro 2020 coverage.

How have RTÉ responded to this?

Never really understood why they couldn't repeat the soaps after the sporting event.

E.g. EastEnders moves from BBC 1 to BBC 2, but repeats straight after the game
    or in the case of RTÉ, Home and Away moves to RTÉ ONE and repeats later along with clashing eastenders and fair city on RTÉ after the match!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

icdg wrote: »
    Another Sunday Times story today (paywall) about a VM Ireland sell off, not particularly much new in it apart from advisers having been appointed to pursue a sale but acknowledgement that potential buyers are basically not interested.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liberty-offload-virgin-media-ireland-uk-merger-o2-2f3gr3z5f

I'm surprised Vodafone aren't interested, given they purchase of Liberty Global cable networks in other parts of Europe like Germany.

I wonder if LG are looking for too much money for the company or if they are requiring the TV side of the business most be included.

I can see Vodafone (and Eir/Three) having no interest in VMTV. Broadcast TV is dying, streaming services are coming fast. I don't think any of these companies want to be involved in Broadcast TV.

Plus there is the complexity of Vodafones part ownership of SIRO network.

Eir, I'd doubt Comreg and the Competition Authority would allow such a takeover, not of the cable business anyway.

Three, hasn't shown any interest in buying cable or broadcast business in any of their markets.

I tend to agree with most of the above, although I think the obituary of linear tv will be written many times before it actually happens - live sports, breaking news, live reality tv with an audience participation element, and some huge series that for rights reasons are only available in this country on linear tv (series 6 of Line of Duty, I’m looking at you in particular) will keep it alive for a good many years to come. Of course streaming can deliver live events too, but as long as the BBC is tangled in a position where it’s happy for Irish people to watch its broadcast service but not stream its catch up, there is a big market for broadcast
    still there. Netflix and Disney aren’t interested in live, Amazon is interested but hamstrung by a stupid interface that makes you work to find what you want, and Sky sees Now as a second class product).

Maybe linear broadcasters will eventually migrate to IP delivery only too. For that there will need to be universal fast broadband available nationwide to every house no matter how remote. Plus there’s a lot to be said for being able to turn on the tv and dial a 3 digit channel number and have instant access to your show.

Linear should be a good add on to your on demand service.

However Virgin Media's Linear and Free Player don't really complement their pay "ON Demand" service. Particularly in terms of film.

UKTV took Smoother (which I wouldn't really rate at all), but it delivery of marketing it for linear and then putting all episodes up on the player seems to work.

Rank Programme Channel Broadcaster group TOTAL
    1 SMOTHER (MON 21:00) Alibi Total UKTV MEDIA LTD 477,200
    2 SMOTHER (TUE 21:00) Alibi Total UKTV MEDIA LTD 359,000
    3 SMOTHER (MON 21:02) Alibi Total UKTV MEDIA LTD 196,700
    4 SMOTHER (TUE 21:02) Alibi Total UKTV MEDIA LTD 169,600

For episode 3 and 4 with Pre-transmission viewing included

3 SMOTHER (MON 21:02) Alibi Total UKTV MEDIA LTD 311,265
    4 SMOTHER (TUE 21:02) Alibi Total UKTV MEDIA LTD 300,235

Not a massive drop that you might think.

And it makes no sense not to broadcast Ru Paul's Drag Race and only to leave it to VM Player, particularly when you have Love Island on broadcast TV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I tend to agree with most of the above, although I think the obituary of linear tv will be written many times before it actually happens - live sports, breaking news, live reality tv with an audience participation element, and some huge series that for rights reasons are only available in this country on linear tv (series 6 of Line of Duty, I’m looking at you in particular) will keep it alive for a good many years to come.

I think Broadcast TV is dying, but not dead. Certainly far from healthy.

Pretty much all the teclo's see it coming and are trying to divest of broadcast TV. See AT&T in the US distancing itself from Warner/HBO.

I can't see any teco wanting to invest into it now.

Of course you are right, it isn't dead yet. But things don't look good.

News can already be gotten streaming on the web. Amazon is clearly interested in Sport and while I agree their app isn't great, I'm sure they will fix it in time. We are seeing the rise of smaller online sport streamers and it is only a matter of time until Disney/EPSN enter the market in a big way.

Netflix has also been sneaking into the reality TV audience. Right now I see "Too Hot Too Handle" is number 2 in Ireland on Netflix and Ru Paul Drag Race is coming in at number 8.

Hell even my parents who are in their 80's are watching Netflix now :eek:

This is all just a matter of time. I do think Broadcast TV can find a place, but it is most likely low quality, free, heavily ad supported, mostly for background noise.
    Maybe linear broadcasters will eventually migrate to IP delivery only too. For that there will need to be universal fast broadband available nationwide to every house no matter how remote.

Between the National Broadband Plan, Starlink and expanding 4G/5G coverage, 5 years from now there will likely be almost no part of the country without quality BB. In particular Starlink should easily cover any parts that the NBP miss.
    Plus there’s a lot to be said for being able to turn on the tv and dial a 3 digit channel number and have instant access to your show.

I think being able to watch your show when you want, where you want, on any device and with no ads is much nicer. Never mind some of them in 4k UHD + Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos, is something else.

It isn't like pressing the Netflix button on your TV's remote is much harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

All these streaming services will end up costing more than sky if you get them all. It was great when once you had sky you had everything. If all the new streaming services that are in America or going to start in america come here. Netflix and Amazon may not have many programs left it the all take back there programs off it. I still like going through the Sky guide to see what on and I know there are programs on channels that I would watch that I would no choose to watch if I had to pick them on a streaming service.

All these streaming services will end up costing more than sky if you get them all. It was great when once you had sky you had everything. If all the new streaming services that are in America or going to start in america come here. Netflix and Amazon may not have many programs left it the all take back there programs off it. I still like going through the Sky guide to see what on and I know there are programs on channels that I would watch that I would no choose to watch if I had to pick them on a streaming service.

Likely that pay sat and cable become resellers with a bundle along with free OD and their own OD.

Which is not much different to cable operators with broadcast TV. You can see that with Netflix as part of subs for cable.

Disney+, HBO Max will all make deals with resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Does this mean the 3 stations could change name AGAIN?
    Hopefully it will, TV3 and 3e reinstated, not sure about 3be, there's not enough market for 3 channels, its a struggling market.

bk wrote: »
    I think Broadcast TV is dying, but not dead. Certainly far from healthy.

Pretty much all the teclo's see it coming and are trying to divest of broadcast TV. See AT&T in the US distancing itself from Warner/HBO.

I can't see any teco wanting to invest into it now.

Of course you are right, it isn't dead yet. But things don't look good.

News can already be gotten streaming on the web. Amazon is clearly interested in Sport and while I agree their app isn't great, I'm sure they will fix it in time. We are seeing the rise of smaller online sport streamers and it is only a matter of time until Disney/EPSN enter the market in a big way.

Netflix has also been sneaking into the reality TV audience. Right now I see "Too Hot Too Handle" is number 2 in Ireland on Netflix and Ru Paul Drag Race is coming in at number 8.

Hell even my parents who are in their 80's are watching Netflix now :eek:

This is all just a matter of time. I do think Broadcast TV can find a place, but it is most likely low quality, free, heavily ad supported, mostly for background noise.

Between the National Broadband Plan, Starlink and expanding 4G/5G coverage, 5 years from now there will likely be almost no part of the country without quality BB. In particular Starlink should easily cover any parts that the NBP miss.

I think being able to watch your show when you want, where you want, on any device and with no ads is much nicer. Never mind some of them in 4k UHD + Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos, is something else.

It isn't like pressing the Netflix button on your TV's remote is Mr.

When to you think DTT will be switched off? I reckon 2040ish

Another week, another Sunday Times article about the sale of VMI, but nothing new in it again other than the private equity option being ever more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The IFTA Film & Drama awards didn't begin until 10:15pm on VM1. Did Love Island cause the delay or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Another week, another Sunday Times article about the sale of VMI, but nothing new in it again other than the private equity option being ever more likely.

I wonder would there be any interest from senior managment to go for a MBO

The IFTA Film & Drama awards didn't begin until 10:15pm on VM1. Did Love Island cause the delay or something?

Yep, Love Island overran as ITV2 extended it, and probably expect that a lot over the next few weeks. Also meant that Love Island Aftersun on VM2 started at 10.15, and oddly had a 15 minute Leinster rugby match showing as filler.

Probably expect Love Island to start at 10pm on Wednesday because of the England match. If match goes to penalties, you could have the silly idea of nearly having The Tonight Show been shown at midnight, if Love Island goes out at 11. But thats what VM1 wanted, and their schedule is at the mercy of ITV of when and where and how long they want to show Love Island.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Yep, Love Island overran as ITV2 extended it, and probably expect that a lot over the next few weeks. Also meant that Love Island Aftersun on VM2 started at 10.15, and oddly had a 15 minute Leinster rugby match showing as filler.

Probably expect Love Island to start at 10pm on Wednesday because of the England match. If match goes to penalties, you could have the silly idea of nearly having The Tonight Show been shown at midnight, if Love Island goes out at 11. But thats what VM1 wanted, and their schedule is at the mercy of ITV of when and where and how long they want to show Love Island.

Granted, very much affected by the Euros, but VM1 bosses can hardly be satisfied with the ratings so far:

Mon: 131,000
    Tues: 109,000
    Wed: 131,000
    Thurs: 91,000

There wasn't even a match on Thursday, which makes the dip then even odder.

• Advertisement

Granted, very much affected by the Euros, but VM1 bosses can hardly be satisfied with the ratings so far:

Mon: 131,000
    Tues: 109,000
    Wed: 131,000
    Thurs: 91,000

There wasn't even a match on Thursday, which makes the dip then even odder.

And below 91k for the Friday and Sunday episodes as well. Not great at all.

I see The Tonight Show is on 9pm on Wednesday, with Love Island at 10pm instead.

Advertisement