Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

iseegirls wrote: »
    The press release on the TV3 site has grown since yesterday. It stopped around the start of International Acquisitions before. So they have Jeremy Kyle, Graham Norton, The Chase and The Cube there - so they will be definitely showing them alongside UTVi. Should be interesting to see how those rate.

It's actually hard to work out what rights they do have. They're showing a New Series of Graham Norton, but only 11 eps are listed. What about the series that starts after Christmas? It's the same with Jonathan Ross. 10eps only listed as being new.

However, if they do have all the rights that they say it basically means the station is finished. When they're short of programmes next year they'll just throw on three eps of the chase in a row which they've been doing all summer and extra showings of whatever Game shows are left. Graham Norton is funny but not the same show 6 times a week I would have given them more of a chance if they had a clean break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

It's actually hard to work out what rights they do have. They're showing a New Series of Graham Norton, but only 11 eps are listed. What about the series that starts after Christmas? It's the same with Jonathan Ross. 10eps only listed as being new.

However, if they do have all the rights that they say it basically means the station is finished. When they're short of programmes next year they'll just throw on three eps of the chase in a row which they've been doing all summer and extra showings of whatever Game shows are left. Graham Norton is funny but not the same show 6 times a week I would have given them more of a chance if they had a clean break.
    "the best of the graham norton show on 3E" - that suggests repeat rights and not new episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

"the best of the graham norton show on 3E" - that suggests repeat rights and not new episodes.

Sounds to me if RTÉ had wanted to continue with Emmerdale back in 2001 they could have shown the final 3 months. Basically TV3 seem to hold residual rights.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm not entirely sure they have the rights to new shows after January 1st but they still hold the right to the shows from 2014 for another year. They have listed some programmes with the right amount of episodes that they do appear to lose rights to on the first of January.

It's very hard to work out what's going on when different facts come from the same organisation and those facts sometimes seem to change mid sentence.

No matter what the situation I don't think they'll be around too long repeating the same shows over and over. UTV will be on air and in Prime time (which is all that really matters when it comes to money) It does appear that UTV have the upper hand in every category. However, I don't even think UTV are worried about TV3. They'll just get on with running a TV station and will almost certainly have the 11 to 12 percent share by the end of 2015.

However, just to prove how bad they are running a TV station, they have their Big hitter returning this weekend and while Saturday Night resembles some effort to gain an audience, on the Sunday, the Two hours of X factor/Xtra Factor is sandwiched between repeats.

All shows, unless they are something really special need support and back-up. You're risking viewers and advertisers with this kind of scheduling. The big question TV3 has not yet asked is, what happens if this years Xfactor is a dud?

Elmo wrote: »
    Sounds to me if RTÉ had wanted to continue with Emmerdale back in 2001 they could have shown the final 3 months. Basically TV3 seem to hold residual rights.

But imagine if they are showing repeats. Oh what's on tonight, Graham Norton on TV3, Oh it's a repeat, does this channel always show repeats? Do this a few times with another channel showing new material and you'll soon drive away what audience you've left.

• Advertisement

All shows, unless they are something really special need support and back-up. You're risking viewers and advertisers with this kind of scheduling. The big question TV3 has not yet asked is, what happens if this years Xfactor is a dud?

And they've been happy enough to point out that Coronation Street has being losing an audience but never mention that X-Factor have also lost an audience.

XFactor results finals:
    325,000 adults in 2013
    491,000 adults in 2011

Coronation Street December
    338,000 adults in 2013
    373,000 adults in 2011

And they've been happy enough to point out that Coronation Street has being losing an audience but never mention that X-Factor have also lost an audience.

XFactor results finals:
    325,000 adults in 2013
    491,000 adults in 2011

Coronation Street December
    338,000 adults in 2013
    373,000 adults in 2011

Well all the soaps have ebbs and flows. Down through the years there have always been Crisis talks at all soaps because figures have fallen. If we look at the historical pattern they could drop a bit more but are Almost certain to rise again in the future.

The Xfactor is a different Kettle of fish entirely. The show has good and bad years but at some stage it's going to hit a wall. Simon isn't daft and if ratings do drop off a cliff, he'll just pull the show off the air for a year or two to give the format a break. What will TV3 do then.... Sue Simon?

As for current falls in figures, I would assume that half of them gave up on the show, but that should leave about 4100,000 not 325,000 so where have the missing 85,000 gone? Well that would be the direct consequence of showing football on HD on the Tuesday Night. Your typical football follower is more likely to look out for HD. However once other members of the family see the picture they'll want the Xfactor in HD as well.

TV3's SD picture is shocking and one of the worst out there. Even watching other SD broadcast stations and the difference is huge. Now the RTE1 SD picture wasn't much better on Saorview but they've switched to HD, and they're not competing with ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yep, the X Factor is in a big transitional period at the moment. The Gary Barlow/Tulisa/Nicole/Sharon mix never worked - and The X Factor was really made for Simon Cowell as the main judge.

It will be interesting to see how the new series works out not only for TV3, but for ITV who pump a lot of money into this every year.

I would have rather seen them put The Xtra Factor on 3e instead. It never seems to rate as well as the normal show, and is only usually interesting when the live shows come around, and viewers are able to ask the judges questions.

Yep, the X Factor is in a big transitional period at the moment. The Gary Barlow/Tulisa/Nicole/Sharon mix never worked - and The X Factor was really made for Simon Cowell as the main judge.

It will be interesting to see how the new series works out not only for TV3, but for ITV who pump a lot of money into this every year.

I would have rather seen them put The Xtra Factor on 3e instead. It never seems to rate as well as the normal show, and is only usually interesting when the live shows come around, and viewers are able to ask the judges questions.

They really don't have a choice but to put Xtra Factor on TV3, they don't appear to have any other programmes ready. Next week is the first week in September and Xpose is going on a break. Now I presume they're retooling the show for the one hour format, but why didn't they do this in August. In fact their New Schedule should be totally in place from Next Monday. Instead you've still have repeats all over the schedule, Xpose isn't even new next week, and Vincent is still on Holiday...

ITV do pump money into the Xfactor and it's going to be important to them in the years ahead. However, the next 18 months are looking good for ITV as there's a general upturn in the economy. It wouldn't surprise me if they pulled Xfactor for a year to refresh it. A Fresh Xfactor would be handy to have when things aren't going so well. Plus ITV will have no problem filling Saturday Night, and if they do it's just a bump on the road.

However, if TV3 had no Xfactor in 2015 it has no headline show. A Bump on the road for ITV is a huge crash for TV3.

In fact their New Schedule should be totally in place from Next Monday. Instead you've still have repeats all over the schedule, Xpose isn't even new next week, and Vincent is still on Holiday...

Unknown whether Vincent Browne is fully able to return yet, as he was ill a few months ago. The show is still running with guest presenters. I don't feel it's TV3s fault that situation. Regarding Xpose, this is their first week break in a few years (apart from Christmas). Next week will give them time to get the show exactly right for the following week when it launches.

Next week, they have new documentaries like The Homeless Shelter, Inside Guinness, Inside Dublin's Gangland, new home produced show Home Cook's Academy alongside new episodes of Wentworth Prison, Cowboy Builders, America's Got Talent, Off Their Rockers UK & US. Your statement that they have repeats everywhere is completely blown out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I am finding it bizarre that the cheerleaders for TV3 seem to have disappeared today. They would normally give some balance to the discussion.

I'm not sure who these "cheerleaders" are, but I'd guess that if such people exist they probably don't have all day every day to sit responding to the relentless battering you reserve for TV3 and the pleasure you seem to take in TV3's (apparent) imminent demise.

I've no particular love for TV3 (or UTV, RTE or TG4 for that matter), but I don't think I've ever seen a company singled out for such consistent and constant negative criticism on these boards.

I don't know if you have any vested interest in the TV companies we discuss, but there are real people working in these companies who livelihoods dependent on their success. It would be nice to see some positivity and optimism just once in a while.

If you keep talking about the end of TV3, I'm sure it'll eventually happen, and how happy will you be then?

Unknown whether Vincent Browne is fully able to return yet, as he was ill a few months ago. The show is still running with guest presenters. I don't feel it's TV3s fault that situation. Regarding Xpose, this is their first week break in a few years (apart from Christmas). Next week will give them time to get the show exactly right for the following week when it launches.

Next week, they have new documentaries like The Homeless Shelter, Inside Guinness, Inside Dublin's Gangland, new home produced show Home Cook's Academy alongside new episodes of Wentworth Prison, Cowboy Builders, America's Got Talent, Off Their Rockers UK & US. Your statement that they have repeats everywhere is completely blown out of proportion.

First of all I've been accused by some of taking something out of proportion in the past when it comes to TV3 but oddly enough TV3 comes to my rescue almost every time.

I have only access until Wednesday at the moment, but on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday between 6 and 7 it's repeats. There's a repeat of DIY SOS on Wednesday at 7 (why not show a new ep of a quiz show at that time)
    And I don't think Tuesday's Passenger 57 is a first run:D

Lets not even look at 3e which between 6pm and 12am on those days shows almost no new material at all it seems.

Fair enough if Vincent's not well. However, guest hosts won't pull in the same numbers. If there was one permanent guest host it would make a lot more sense.

My point is that this should all have been done in July and August when there was little going on. Not the first week in September. It does show they have little idea what they're doing.

I'm not sure who these "cheerleaders" are, but I'd that if such people exist they probably don't have all day every day to sit responding to the relentless battering you reserve for TV3 and the pleasure you seem to take in TV3's (apparent) imminent demise.

I've no particular love for TV3 (or UTV, RTE or TG4 for that matter), but I don't think I've ever seen a company singled out for such consistent and constant negative criticism on these boards.

I don't know if you have any vested interest in the TV companies we discuss, but there are real people working in these companies who livelihoods dependent on their success. It would be nice to see some positivity and optimism just once in a while.

If you keep talking about the end of TV3, I'm sure it'll eventually happen, and how happy will you be then?

I won't be happy for the people that lose their jobs nor will I be happy for those that might not have bills paid by the closing company.

The reason they are singled out is that they have complained and complained about everything since almost the first day of operation. They have added almost nothing of value to Irish broadcasting and it could be said that they have actually held back Irish Broadcasting because of the position they held, especally in the first 10 or so years of operation. The Taxpayer has baled them out by huge sums. If it were any other country they would have gone to the wall years ago and we'd have a healthier Independent TV sector now.

It has annoyed me that there's an Anti UTV feel from some (including TV3) that UTV is not the right sort of Irish.

I have friends that work for all the broadcasters in Ireland, and generally most feel the same as I do. I have been involved in the past in media work and will be again in 2015. There were obvious cheerleaders on these boards, I don't know their connections (if any) however, don't assume that these boards are ignored and that vested interests don't put comments up themselves. I have no vested interest personally but of course you'd have to take my word for that.

If you don't like what I type I respect that and you don't have to read it.

First of all I've been accused by some of taking something out of proportion in the past when it comes to TV3 but oddly enough TV3 comes to my rescue almost every time.

I have only access until Wednesday at the moment, but on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday between 6 and 7 it's repeats. There's a repeat of DIY SOS on Wednesday at 7 (why not show a new ep of a quiz show at that time)
    And I don't think Tuesday's Passenger 57 is a first run:D
    Lets not even look at 3e which between 6pm and 12am on those days shows almost no new material at all it seems.

Best Of Xpose isn't a repeat - it would be packaged as a new episode, and there will probably be inserts from the hosts regarding their highlights from the show. CDWM Celeb Ireland is on at 6.30. First time that week has been repeated - don't see any issue here. Why show a brand new series, when Xpose is going to be in that slot next week. DIY SOS is only a once off filler as Emmerdale is gone due to football on ITV.

The debate was about TV3's repeats, and yet you bring in 3e. Once again you've completely ommitted all the new shows I've said in my previous post, and gone onto your own tangent.

But seeing you've brought it up, the episodes of The Chase, Bodyshock, Embarrassing Bodies, Amsterdam Nights, Sun, Sex And Suspicious Parents, Jonathan Ross Show, Tricked, Bondi Rescue are all new to TV3/3e between Sun-Wed between 6-11

Best Of Xpose isn't a repeat - it would be packaged as a new episode, and there will probably be inserts from the hosts regarding their highlights from the show. CDWM Celeb Ireland is on at 6.30. First time that week has been repeated - don't see any issue here. Why show a brand new series, when Xpose is going to be in that slot next week. DIY SOS is only a once off filler as Emmerdale is gone due to football on ITV.

The debate was about TV3's repeats, and yet you bring in 3e. Once again you've completely ommitted all the new shows I've said in my previous post, and gone onto your own tangent.

But seeing you've brought it up, the episodes of The Chase, Bodyshock, Embarrassing Bodies, Amsterdam Nights, Sun, Sex And Suspicious Parents, Jonathan Ross Show, Tricked, Bondi Rescue are all new to TV3/3e between Sun-Wed between 6-11

I listed repeats, I'm not going to list the new shows when you've already done so. I would regard the repackaging of best of Xpose as a repeat. I think most would agree with me.

The problem is "group think" occurs in most organisations. I would be worried if I were a member of TV3's staff and clearly they are all hard working but their management clearly know little about TV in Ireland. Not that UTV is much better, in actual fact UTV are just replicating what TV3 have provided over the last 14 years. The only good think is the fact that TV3 have to up their game, however even the so called "cheerleaders" (iseegirls and irishmusicfeed) know the problems faced by TV3 in the next year or so.

Perhaps we expect too much from TV3.

I hope that TV3 do survive in their current format but I think they will find it difficult and their loan book doesn't help. If I were their investors I would be asking for management to step aside and give those jobs to iseegirls and irishmusicfeed.

The guys in the TV forum aren't much better http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057278785

Just to add Discussion here is civil most of the time. You might not agree with views given or indeed might think that some are mad (me included) but I wouldn't be going to other discussion places on the Internet and looking for TV3 discussions. When you can find them they're pretty tough on the station and the staff (which I think is very unfair)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Just to add Discussion here is civil most of the time.

I never said or implied that it was not civil. I've been a member of these Boards for many years and have quite often contributed to discussions. I'm quite aware of how civil the discourse has always been.

Having said that, while the discussion may be civil, lately the tone has been relentlessly negative towards one particular broadcaster.

Perhaps if there was a thread called "I hate TV3 and these are the reasons I believe it will fail", it might be a nice place for people to vent their anger, and I could avoid reading it. Just a suggestion.

Meanwhile, it seems to me that TV3 are at least giving the impression that they're coming out fighting.

I never said or implied that it was not civil. I've been a member of these Boards for many years and have quite often contributed to discussions. I'm quite aware of how civil the discourse has always been.

I know you weren't saying that, I was just pointing out around this subject that it's probably the most civil around.
    Having said that, while the discussion may be civil, lately the tone has been relentlessly negative towards one particular broadcaster.

It has been very negative but rightly so. It's a shocking way to run a station that's taking up a valuable resource. TV3 is not rated very highly by it's audience and many within the industry. They lost a lot of friends when the Psychic shows went on air. Also TV3 are the main story at the moment, No one is going to be discussing TG4 when they're generally doing a good job, not rocking boats and don't have a competitor coming into their Market.
    Perhaps if there was a thread called "I hate TV3 and these are the reasons I believe it will fail", it might be a nice place for people to vent their anger, and I could avoid reading it. Just a suggestion.

You can avoid reading this thread by clicking elsewhere or starting a positive TV3 thread where you state only positive things can be said. Don't confuse anger with discussion, which may be negative at times but you could say the same about TV3 and they way they attack various other broadcasters for existing.

Meanwhile, it seems to me that TV3 are at least giving the impression that they're coming out fighting.

Actually that's what annoys me the most. It's PR spin and not much else. Of course that's a broader question about Irish Journalism which has really fallen apart over the last few years. Now that's something I could get angry with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay, calm down. And please do NOT make personal attacks on named users. We operate a "play the ball not the man" rule

• Advertisement

Just to say I wasn't attacking either poster in my last post at all, in case that was the impression given. Also I am going to ban myself for a while

It has been very negative but rightly so. It's a shocking way to run a station that's taking up a valuable resource. TV3 is not rated very highly by it's audience and many within the industry. They lost a lot of friends when the Psychic shows went on air.

TV3 is the second most watched channel in Ireland, can you explain to me how the audience doesn't rate it?

Lost friends after Psychic Shows? Who? These shows went on after midnight? Are these friends night-owls? From judging on threads on here - most people enjoyed the quiz and psychic shows - and didn't take it too seriously.

Such ridiculous statements. Plucking these out of thin air as per usual in your now hourly rants against TV3.

TV3 is the second most watched channel in Ireland, can you explain to me how the audience doesn't rate it?

Lost friends after Psychic Shows? Who? These shows went on after midnight? Are these friends night-owls? From judging on threads on here - most people enjoyed the quiz and psychic shows - and didn't take it too seriously.

Such ridiculous statements. Plucking these out of thin air as per usual in your now hourly rants against TV3.

I'm actually going to follow Elmo's lead and walk away from this kind of stuff.... See everyone later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so getting back on track i think the schedule has some worthy programmes. The prisoners relatives (or whatever it is called) was not bad last year but this had BAI funding and the audience was low. So how can they survive without the advertising ratings and money that they need? I cant see any way they can as the BAI will not give them funding for every irish home made programme. other than Xfactor and corrie/emmerdale the audience is very fickle and wont hang around for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Do we have any idea what kind of program budget tv3 operates off?

Do we have any idea what kind of program budget tv3 operates off?

I'll just answer that and then I f off :)

€30m has been stated by TV3 as how much they have spent on Home Productions, or 75% of their total programming budget. €10m left though I am not sure if that includes Sporting rights, which leaves them with only €7m (RWC cost €3m).

€5m for transmission of both channels not included in those figures, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

The problem is "group think" occurs in most organisations. I would be worried if I were a member of TV3's staff and clearly they are all hard working but their management clearly know little about TV in Ireland. Not that UTV is much better, in actual fact UTV are just replicating what TV3 have provided over the last 14 years. The only good think is the fact that TV3 have to up their game, however even the so called "cheerleaders" (iseegirls and irishmusicfeed) know the problems faced by TV3 in the next year or so.

Perhaps we expect too much from TV3.

I hope that TV3 do survive in their current format but I think they will find it difficult and their loan book doesn't help. If I were their investors I would be asking for management to step aside and give those jobs to iseegirls and irishmusicfeed.

The guys in the TV forum aren't much betterurl]

To highlight certain people for having particular views on things is particularly unfair.. Especially when it seems two members of this forum think their views are the most important and regularly make stuff up to prove their non-point. I'm not pro tv3 being honest I only ever watch about 10 minutes of Ireland AM in the morning and if I'm at home which is rare I may check out Midday... I do work in Irish media... I do not have any affiliation with the TV3 Group, but it gets seriously boring seeing Irish people knock anything Irish especially with TV... No other country has to compete with the worlds biggest tv broadcaster the BBC, comparing Irish tv to ItV or bbc is unfair, comparing RTÉ etc to other European broadcaster is a much fairer analysis... But because Irish people tend to be insular in their thinking in terms of tv it's all about the BBC's and ITV's.... I never watch BBC or ITV or any other UK tv despite the hype they don't produce anything to the level US, France, Nordic countries or Australia do....

My concern with UTV hype is that UTV offer nothing new to the Irish market... I wish it success, but it's far from creative and it's just another TV3... I've no doubt I'll check out UTv on its debut but as a non-Uk TV watcher it does not grab me... TV3 will survive regardless of the pessimistic view on its future by some on this forum... RTÉ has withstood any new broadcaster and remains the most watched channel including non-Irish channels... TG4 provides an alternative way of broadcasting something that others should observe...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Can we get the thread back on track please or I'll have to close it. Calm debating on the issue of TV3. No attacking other posters. Its as valid to believe that TV3 is the best station since television was invented as to think that its complete rubbish. Or anything in between the two. But don't castigate other posters because of their beliefs. Play the ball, not the man.

Finally, and while the two may be rivals, there is a separate thread to debate UTV and that's where comments on UTV should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From judging on threads on here - most people enjoyed the quiz and psychic shows - and didn't take it too seriously.

What threads are you reading, precisely? There was far more dealing with the borderline illegality and actual regulation breaches of both than anyone enjoying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is true about the psychic live shows as it was seen by the Irish Audience as the most laziest and contradictory programme ever shown on Irish Television.

But the central topic is not about that now as that moment of cringe TV was shown in the past.

Let me say this, if TV3 want to become the No.1 broadcaster in Ireland, their plan sadly is too ambitious as they have to be seen making more of an effort to win back a sustainable audience share. Unfortunately, they haven't got enough of the required funds right now to produce more quality programmes to let them know that the job is being done properly.

The only hope for TV3 now is Red Rock in which there will be a small amount of hope from everybody in the station and the advertisers that this soap will do very well. Some months ago, there was talk about from the Indo about TV3 doing major TV deals of having the rights of some US dramas as well as Dallas that will be shown on the channel probably in the near future.

They will surely include those dramas in the newly expanded new season schedule later on won't they.

Advertisement