Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Given the choice, I tend to go for VM, as I'm not a fan of BT Sports pundits or commentators. Although Gerry Armstrong is fairly annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes but would you sign up to a Virgin Media television package because a Europa League game is on Virgin Media More?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Don't think adverts are carried on Virgin Media More either. Unless they do them through the football games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

No, but my point was about them losing out on much higher viewing numbers by not having it on Sky and FTA. I can't get it where I live anyway.

Perhaps their thinking is that they have enough people signed up to their service and VMS to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Something I've wondered for a while - does VMT have any shows made for it by independent Irish production companies? Or are their original shows all produced in house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Living with Lucy was produced by ADARE not sure about Lucy Investigates. Gogglebox is produced by Kite Entertainment AFAIK. And VIP produces the restaurant. Not sure if they have anything else at the moment. All of their Drama output is from indos with some funding from the BAI. Most of the Crime stuff was in house but they aren't doing much of that any more. Daytime, News and Current Affairs are all in house.

AFAIK EU directive states that they have produced at least 1% of their total local budget on local independent producers.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

New job posted regarding a Planner & Scheduler for Virgin Media TV

First job please - get Virgin Media Four's schedule published somewhere.

Second job - sort out what you want each channel to be targeting. Posh Pawn shown across VM2,3 and 4 this week. There are 17 episodes of The Chase (Eng, Aus, USA) on some days next week across the 4 channels.

Interesting duties and tasks alright. Goes to show that whoever was/is currently in that position was doing a bad job. Schedules are badly updated online - even with This Morning cancelled today - you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere what VM showed instead.

Some other schedule changes happening next week, with The Kelly Clarkson Show (Series 3) starting on VM2 next week at 1pm and repeated later every night around 11pm. Means Emmerdale and Coronation Street repeats will all go over to VM3. First American talk show on VM for a long time, since Steve Wilkos finished in December 2018

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I am assuming this is plain bad journalism - the games are on VMTV - , but I’m surprised Amazon are airing Ireland’s AIs in ROI as they didn’t last year and I swore when the deal was announced that Ireland in ROI was specifically excluded. And yet I see them in my Prime Video app and they weren’t last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Terrible journalism - as you say, the games are on VMTV. I think they were on RTE last year? And it looks like Channel 4 will be carrying the Ireland games too (that deal looks like it runs out this year).

It might be an error on Amazon's part? Interesting, nonetheless.

I see they’ve corrected the article now.

• Advertisement

They completely rewrote it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Here is a better link

Irish Rugby coverage confirmed for VMTV & Prime Video

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/irish-rugby-coverage-confirmed-for-vmtv-prime-video

Pretty sure they are showing Munster v South Africa Select XV too?

They are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There are rumours being circulated from ITV that they are rebooting the British version of Deal or No Deal in the near future. A report from The Sun has said that ITV are considering Stephen Mulhern to present the revamped version of the show.

We don't know the date of when it's be to broadcast on the soon to be rebranded ITV1 as of yet. I could make the assumption here that if this show was rebooted as an ITV Studios GE production in the near future; it could pave the way for it to be shown on VM's stations here in Ireland for the 1st time ever.

As we remember from a long time ago; Keith Barry hosted the Irish version of Deal or No Deal in association with the National Lottery when VMTV was TV3 back in 2009. And now from sometime in 2023 onwards; the rebooted British version of the show will be broadcast here on an Irish station for the 1st time ever.

The HD versions of ITV2, ITV3 & ITV4 are being launched for FTA Satellite viewers in the UK from later this morning.

This decision being made by ITV yesterday just increases the value of a FTA Satellite box/TV with Saorview as it is now to going to go through the roof. If you have one of these devices in your house. You will be in the lucky position of choosing to watch most of ITV's programmes in HD on Satellite from later today. The only ITV SD channels offered for now on that platform are ITV Be & CITV.

From ITV's pov; I think this decision will probably leave the ratings for VM's channels from Saorview viewers here in Ireland in the dustbin into the near future.

VM have shown no leadership to prevent this situation from getting worse for Saorview users over the last few years. It was inevitable that ITV had to do something here as the agreement to keep the HD channels with Sky was going to end after both parties had agreed to do this move primarily for viewers who are now going to see the launch of ITVX in the UK.

You'd be amazed how many people will continue to watch Virgin Media 1 on Saorview before ITV HD on satellite. I don't see their viewing numbers being decimated because of this.

I don’t see it affecting VM either tbh. My parents (and my partner actually) both watch Corrie/emmerdale on VM1 despite having UTV HD and ITV HD on the same box just a few clicks away. I guess for some people it won’t make a difference.

Actually to go one step further, my father has both Ch4 HD and Ch4 SD on the box. He uses the SD channel for some older programmes because it has the black bars on the HD version. I also do that if I was watching old episodes of The Simpson’s on Ch4.

I know I should prob post this comment in Satellite, but the TCL TV I bought my mam and dad doesn't pick up any of the main Sat HD channels, such as BBC 1, 2, ITV1, C4 and C5, they come in pixelated in green with just sound, but then the likes of the HD news channels I have no problem with them. And with this comment I should also put into to Terrestrial ... for some reason the TV picks up VMTV FOUR but no change to the channel name it is still RTÉjr, while C17 is hidden, not that it makes much of a difference to them.

Maz do they watch anything else on VMone?

______

Yesterday

They watch a few things on VM , news etc.

Do you have a cheap HDMI cable by any chance? When I moved into this house, I couldn’t find my HDMI cable. I live near a discount store so ran in there and got a cheap one A lot of channels were green and no sound. Couldn’t figure out why. Then I found my proper cable nd it worked properly!

as for VM4, you might need a rescan?

• Advertisement

This is a TCL TV with sat and terrestrial tuner. Rescanned the analogue channels (and unfortunately the satellite ones)

Few of those shows surround VMTV's Coro St or Emmers.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭deezell

So who in VM is responsible for their Champions League programme guide details? It is rarely if ever correct, usually listing the wrong match, or a match from the day before, but tonight they are apparently arranging a replay of last weeks fixture. Perhaps Ajax will win this replay....

Sky EPG is listing Juventus v PSG, which I assume to be the correct game (although why they’ve picked it is a different mystery, BT don’t even consider it meriting front channel coverage and they’re showing three 8pm games on 2,3 and 4).

Did you get that on the Saorview EPG? I got that listing on my Saorview box this evening.

Also for any of us following the Autumn Nations Series this month; all of the Ireland Rugby matches including Ireland 'A' vs NZ Maoris and presumably Munster vs South Africa will be shown on VM2.

They're all dead rubbers tonight, like last night's Liverpool Napoli match. Spurs match on BT was a humdinger, with all 4 group teams shuffling in and out of qualifying, with unfortunate Marseillle starting bottom, qualifying for the CL, then slipping back to the Europa league, then finishing in the last 10 seconds of play with nothing.

Yes, saorview epg.

PSG v Juventus, dead rubber other than Juve can qualify for Europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

VM Player not working for Ireland A vs NZ XV rugby last night. This was to be made available for viewers in N. Ireland but the stream simply did not work. It definitely did not geo block. So had to watch match in SD via Saorview instead.

You didn't miss much. Ireland like a pub side.

Not sure if VMTV could fit it along side repeats of the Chase and Tipping Point!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Fair f***s to VM2. Having advertised a replay of the Liverpool Ajax match last Wednesday, they're showing the Ireland Fiji match a week in advance. They must have a time machine of sorts.

Advertisement