Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I get what you're saying here. The listing for Ireland vs Fiji is in the Saorview app as well. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It appears that the rugby matches from the 6Ns are improving VM losses in revenue down to about €7m. The increases in ad revenue are helping to reduce their losses.

That is according to their latest financial report that was published on Thursday.

Having exclusive access to the Autumn Nations Series Rugby matches for Ireland will maybe help it's financial position get a little bit better as they head into next year.

However would the loss of the Heineken Cup matches to RTÉ this year make it a little bit tougher for VM to achieve a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭deezell

Their sport offererings have become a big attraction, commentary and punditry hugely entertaining. I love the way Brian Kerr says "booting". SD quality seems hugely improved on a Sony bravia, even though the resolution is still sub SD. Maybe the bit rate is improved, or the telly picture AI is able to bump it up, but it's very watchable for free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not exclusive Autumn Nations Series coverage though. I imagine a lot of people watching the games yesterday probably stayed with Amazon throughout as the coverage was excellent for all games.

What's the story with VM player? Yesterday's match is not posted. I'd like to watch the full second half again, I was unavoidably driving during most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Get Amazon Prime. There are full replays on it.

Got it in full last night free on YouTube. A triumph of brilliance over bulk. Lansdowne rd. littered with unexploded bombs at the end of 80 minutes. I actually hate this populist media tagging of teams on a decent run of form, who are suddenly excitably spoken of in generic terms of invincibility. South Africa's 'Bomb squad', who failed to detonate for 72 minutes, or a few years ago, Eddie Jones and his 'Finishers', until they didn't, (finish).

VM meanwhile, unable to bring us the advertised Fiji, done well to get SA to cover for them. Well done VM.

Unless I misheard, their 5.30 newsreader tonight was at it again, announcing the Champions League last 16 draw results, observing sagely how the Premier League teams had managed to avoid each other in the draw. Dummy. I'll check on player to see if I'm imagining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Still no news site. If you click on News on the homepage you are redirected here:

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/1513/0/0/

Monday's 12.30 and 5.30 news are up on player, the 12.30 even has the CL draw in its intro snippets, but the actual news item appears to be deleted from both. I wonder who the sports editor is who scripted the gaff? Obviously copped and edited out. If they don't know which days the CL and Rugby matches are taking place, it's hardly surprising that they don't know that last 16 CL teams can't be drawn against other teams from the same national league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Out of their 4 channels - three channels showing The Chase at the same time. There's choice for you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The time has surely come for a dedicated The Chase channel...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Strange question of the evening….why are Premier Sports graphics being used for Munster v SA?

Another strange question why is VM2 programme information for Munster vs S.Africa showing Ireland vs Australia?

Same reason it showed Ireland v Fiji last Saturday. They obviously can't be arsed to sort it. Its the same for all their Champions league schedules.

I wonder what all those Bok match result deniers will say after Munster thrashed them tonight? Maybe the wind and rain was prejudiced again them. The sh#te coming from some of their pundits, ex coaches, "analysts" and general meatheads after Saturday's win makes Trumpist denial rhetoric look reasonable.

All discussion on anything happening on the actual field in the Rugby forum please.

Apologies, it was just a non sequitur on the previous VM epg related paragraph, thrown in in the heat of the successful VM2 Covered Munster match. Actual VM coverage is good to be fair, their OB and hardware is up to scratch, probably all subbed out these days.

On another point I wonder what the viewing figures were for this historic match? Here in N. Ireland a number of my rugby-watching pals did not know the game was on TV. Having it on VM2 seems to somewhat hide it away for those who have access to ROI channels. This is partly because these channels end up all over the place when a TV is retuned here but also the fact most viewers here are more familiar with RTE 1/2 and TG 4 than with the VM channels as what most VM channels seem to show is ITV content that viewers here see elsewhere. Don't think having this match on VM2 helped viewing figures.

Apparently they had worldwide except RSA rights to show it online. Not sure how that worked. VM2 seems to be the standard place for sports now rather than VM1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I expect that was the decision of some meathead in VM thinking "RtE show the sport on RTE2 so we should show it on VM2"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Yeah, oddly the Horseracing remains on VM1, meanwhile all other sports are on VM2 apart from the Rugby 6 Nations. Still surprised they haven't moved those weekend Ireland games to VM1 though this month.

They got it right! For once!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They don't seem to have the racing from Cheltenham on today anywhere even though they showed the first day of the meeting yesterday 😕

It's on ITV, UTV, ITV HD and STV HD according to my satellite EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

No good to me. Bit random of Virgin just showing the first day of a big meeting.

TG4 are showing Nass. Maybe they'll include Cheltenham as well.

Pretty sure they did the exact same last year, and we talked about it on here too. Even for the exact same meeting. My initial thoughts was that they were allowed a number of meetings in a year to show, and so they skipped a few. Makes no sense really now.

They might, as the rights are not conflicting when it's in a language other than English. ITV player would have it, but it's a technical ordeal to get it working outside of the UK. I got it to work, but it occasionally hangs when it jumps to the (interminable) ad breaks, like its5 trying to tailor them and gets confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

WTF have they done to the EPG website? This used to be the best tv guide on the web for seeing what was on now and later across all channels at a glance since RTE destroyed theirs but now it hangs on a big red Virgin logo and takes 30 seconds to load in with a 50:50 chance it will stall and not load at all:

I fcuking hate this Irish disease of interfering with stuff just for the sake of interfering and making things worse 90% of the time, it happens to all Irish websites and apps eventually, pure headwrecking. Boards.ie being the prime example.

Maybe download the Virgin TV app (if using mobile), the TV guide works better there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

i agree it hangs now but yeah just download the app

Advertisement