Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Yes this must be totally frustrating over 10 yrs after DSO. Can you get VM on the internet eg. use VM app and if so is it HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭deezell

You can, it is. I watched it on VM player on a Sony Android. Great to have the native commentary, couldn't bear to listen to the UK one from ITV on the satellite, even with very HD resolutio of Astra.

VM player also HD on Apple TV box, not sure about LG, or PlayStation or Xbox apps, and there's no VM app for Samsung TVs, but it's in HD on VM Player Web version, which should work on any decent browser built into a device (except Samsung, who kill video streaming from their web browser, though they allow it in dedicated apps, like RTE player). I'm glad England didn't roll over after the French trashing, you need a bit of tension to really enjoy a final like that.

VM2 viewers getting to see the France Netherlands Euro qualifier tonight, a day before everyone else, at least according to their EPG. It's fun playing 'Guess the Match' on VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

That's cheating, much more fun to wait till kick off and see what they actually plan on showing. I think most people would use the remote and epg to see what's on, but it would be interesting to know how many use online program guides. I wonder are they aware that their broadcast epg is always wrong for sport

• Advertisement

See the Italians just murdered 'God save the King' , a bit like the way they knobbled 'Ireland's Call' in the 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Virgin Media 2 showing Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers live on Fri 7th April. Despite what some media (and VM socials) are saying, not their first time ever showing LOI matches, with them showing 5 games live in the 00s during a dire 3 years rights period.

I think I remember that. Terrible quality outside broadcast, mismatched camera colour grades, Jerseys changing colour depending on the camera angle. Apres Match lads used to take the piss. I think this was the case for any sports events they OB'd in the analogue days.

Still, I'll watch that. Bit of a famine until Saturdays champions cup playoffs and the MU 'Pool Derby.

Looking back, the 5 matches they only showed were the following:

2002/03 season:

Bohemians v Shelbourne

Shelbourne v Bohemians

2003 season:

Cork City v St Patrick's Athletic

Waterford United v Derry City (Division 1 game)

2004 season:

Cork City v Shelbourne

Eircom League Weekly aired for 6 years every Monday night (or Tuesday nights on Bank Holiday weekends) when the league was in action.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apparently a once-off trial. Odd one in any sporting league, but especially football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It was Tv3 that showed the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I am assuming the mean that its the first offering of this partnership!

.... and then I read the headline!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Some odd rescheduling going on over the last few days on their channels - especially Virgin Media 2, where nearly everything that was scheduled before 7pm and after 11pm was replaced by something different. Its as if they've been hit by a hack again, but not as serious as the one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Im assuming this is the right place if not apologies does everyones discovery channel have no sound since last week, I rang Virgin Media they said it was a known problem and there working on it but its still off today most annoying

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have sound on Discovery Channel 208 with VM hub (tv360)

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Saorview epg showing me that im watchig live europa conference on vmtv2 aek larnaca v west ham😀 chelsea must have not turned up tonight

"...Chelsea must have not turned up tonight"

You got that right..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Would be nice if they added it to their own player app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

If VM1 HD don't come to saorview, they should be f**ked off it, it is absolute BS the carry on with them.

If you've a smart TV (not samsung), or an android plug in device, use the VMplayer app. Its in HD.

Mind the language

And there’s absolutely no legal or contractual basis to do what you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

When will they stop showing who wants to be a millionaire on Sundays nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It’s an OK option, but personally I found the stream quality to be sub-standard. It seems like they may be using a low frame rate.

When I went to check it yesterday, none of the streams worked (the ads were fine!). Not sure if that’s a common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yeah I find the the low frame rate makes it hard to watch for live sport.

Mine is fine 99%, the extra detail (reading Jersey numbers) makes up for the odd missed frame. Its possible on routers to prioritise data feeds, there's also something in the TV itself, but I forget exactly what as usual, its like fking groundhog day as you age!

When is VM4 going to be added to the player I wonder, considering it was launched last August?

Have Virgin Media sent any of their commentators and co-comms to the actual stadium in any international or European Club football game since Covid?

You just know that they're always sitting in a box in the VM Studio, as they're always relying on exact same picture as us.

• Advertisement

I'd expect them to be present at the minimum. It would be extremely difficult to commentate on a match from a 2D image on a monitor. In the past when the live commentary might be lost, it was painfully obvious how impossible it was for the studio presenter to give any kind of meaningful commentary until live feed was restored. Unless they were equipped with some kind of virtual 4K 3D headsets during covid, I can't see how it's possible to do the job remotely. That's game set and match to City.

Advertisement