Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The TV3/Communicorp deal announcement is a strange strategy by TV3. Communicorp should be annoyed at that announcement, when only discussions are taking place. Meanwhile the competitions authority have asked that both companies show that its not a media-merger/anti-competitive. According to today's Sunday Times.

I don't see how it benefits Communicorp other than to fend of its largest Independent Radio competitor and I don't think a deal with TV3 will help them do that.

IMO TV3 should look towards smaller broadcasters like 4FM, Nova and some local Independent local radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Elmo wrote: »
    The TV3/Communicorp deal announcement is a strange strategy by TV3. Communicorp should be annoyed at that announcement, when only discussions are taking place. Meanwhile the competitions authority have asked that both companies show that its not a media-merger/anti-competitive. According to today's Sunday Times.

I don't see how it benefits Communicorp other than to fend of its largest Independent Radio competitor and I don't think a deal with TV3 will help them do that.

IMO TV3 should look towards smaller broadcasters like 4FM, Nova and some local Independent local radio stations.

yes the Sunday Times has a strong editorial piece today also against the deal. It gives a dig at them for giving away their content free as well on Indo.ie and asks questions about the Topaz/Indo deal where you can get coffee and the indo for 3euro with their loyalty card.

I know we are all big fans here of Xposé a few pics :pac:

set2_161253.jpg
    Set7new_161242.jpg
    set1_161254.jpg

Oh Hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

wow no expense spared there on that set!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

glad I am not home today to see that overpriced set for promos

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I know we are all big fans here of Xposé a few pics :pac:

set1_161254.jpg

Oh Hum.

I hope this is the way they go. No presenters and loverly white chairs.

I hope this is the way they go. No presenters and loverly white chairs.

Great for Black and White HD TVs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Great for Black and White HD TVs!

No HD here - can't afford it, just modern b&w digital TVs.

They just seemed to xtend Xposé nothing really different to it, ticker is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They just seemed to xtend Xposé nothing really different to it, ticker is awful.

Ticker isn't great at all. I'm just not a fan of tickers - they really annoy me. If they were going to put up information, just do it in blocks - like what Sky Sports News and RTE News Now has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A very colourless set from Xpose. It has a feeling of being in the design of a modern waiting room out of a dental surgery.

I'll bet the pictures from Xpose were very washed out as it is seemed to look black and white when not in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Vincent Browne is back tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

At least it's a physical set now, not some green screen with jaggies all around the presenter as it's so low quality.

Still not gonna watch it though!

Paddy C wrote: »
    At least it's a physical set now, not some green screen with jaggies all around the presenter as it's so low quality.

Still not gonna watch it though!

It is strange that they don't make a physical sets in the old studio for VB and the News.

Downton abbey won't be simulcast on TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Champions League (proper) back on TV this week.

Judging from the tweet below - the studio is gearing up for a revamp at the moment. Good to see they're slowly moving away from the green-screen.
    TV3 Sport ‏@TV3SportIreland 15h Neil Lennon & @kdkilbane77 in the new look studio with @TommyMartinTV3. Lawro on commentary with @DaveMcIntyreNT

Also interesting to see Dave McIntyre commentating on the match. Wonder has Trevor Welsh been dropped from CL matches.

iseegirls wrote: »

Judging from the tweet below - the studio is gearing up for a revamp at the moment. Good to see they're slowly moving away from the green-screen.

Also interesting to see Dave McIntyre commentating on the match. Wonder has Trevor Welsh been dropped from CL matches.

I think I heard him commentate for setanta on their european stuff so maybe he is doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Alas no sign of HD, also no word on Irish rights for 2015/16 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

No doubt none of the commentary team will be in Anfield either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Infoanon wrote: »
    also no word on Irish rights for 2015/16 onwards.

Last time (2012) they went to tender less than 6 months before the new season started.

The Cush wrote: »
    Last time (2012) they went to tender less than 6 months before the new season started.

They have just gone to tender, didn't you post something on the champions league thread?

They have just gone to tender, didn't you post something on the champions league thread?

The Euro2016 finals in France tender?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Or perhaps the new football studio uses a different background template off the CD-ROM? :p

The Cush wrote: »
    The Euro2016 finals in France tender?

Yes, sorry just waiting to hear about the Champions League.

So guess what?

Red Rock gets Licence Fee funding awh aren't the BAI good. 104 Eps according to the doc.

http://www.bai.ie/?p=60562

So guess what?

Red Rock gets Licence Fee funding awh aren't the BAI good. 104 Eps according to the doc.

http://www.bai.ie/?p=60562

18%funding at 800k= total cost per year at 4.44million per year for red rock. thats just over 10% of their total expenditure of 40million per year.

18%funding at 800k= total cost per year at 4.44million per year for red rock. thats just over 10% of their total expenditure of 40million per year.

They'll also look to get some Section 481.

It's a big deal just should have been done long ago.

• Advertisement

Looking at the match on my ariva120 i have utvhd on channel epg 4 and tv3 on channel epg 5. the difference in picture makes tv3 look like a very bad youtube channel. How they have not gone hd i dont know as i never watch them on a tuesday night these days going for utvhd instead.

Advertisement