Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

18%funding at 800k= total cost per year at 4.44million per year for red rock. thats just over 10% of their total expenditure of 40million per year.

Expect to see quite a bit of previously general expenditure go in under Red Rocks budget now to push those figures up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Life for 7:30 Monday - Friday

This is what I don't get do TV3 hold the rights to programmes like Cilla?

https://itvstudios.com/programmes/cilla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Elmo wrote: »
    This is what I don't get do TV3 hold the rights to programmes like Cilla?

https://itvstudios.com/programmes/cilla

yes...they chose to show darndale instead to prove how much a great original irish broadcaster they are.

• Advertisement

Did 3e get new idents for I'm a celeb....?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Did 3e get new idents for I'm a celeb....?
    Doesn't look like it.. looks the same to me.

http://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=1&view_pr=680

You'd have to wonder why TV3 would promote this achievement with a show that will move to UTV Ireland next year, and its unlikely that ITV will axe the show if audiences are still watching.

You'd have to wonder why TV3 would promote this achievement with a show that will move to UTV Ireland next year, and its unlikely that ITV will axe the show if audiences are still watching.
    You really would wonder what TV3's plan is at all... I cannot understand why they didn't shift Coronation Street and Emmerdale to 3e too and try out their schedule they will be using from Jan 1st.

All of a sudden from the new year they are left with almost nothing all evening long.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I would agree they should try out things now and see what happens, people will still watch the soaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

To entice advertising - same reason why Corrie and Emmerdale will stay on TV3 until Jan 1st - TV3 need the money !

Infoanon wrote: »
    To entice advertising - same reason why Corrie and Emmerdale will stay on TV3 until Jan 1st - TV3 need the money !

TV3 have already set the rates for all programmes in terms of advertising. I'm a celeb .... sponsonsorship and spot adverts have been set months ago, TV3 knew from last year that I'm a Celeb was getting a good audience this is what they base their rates on. And its on 3e.

Next UTV Ireland can expect 500,000 with around 20,000 continuing to watch on UTV NI.

Doesn't help TV3 or 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

TV3 have already set the rates for all programmes in terms of advertising. I'm a celeb .... sponsonsorship and spot adverts have been set months ago, TV3 knew from last year that I'm a Celeb was getting a good audience this is what they base their rates on. And its on 3e.

Next UTV Ireland can expect 500,000 with around 20,000 continuing to watch on UTV NI.

Doesn't help TV3 or 3e.

Rates set but as many spots as possible need to be sold, they cannot do an ITV and drop Corrie/ Emmerdale etc

Infoanon wrote: »
    Rates set but as many spots as possible need to be sold, they cannot do an ITV and drop Corrie/ Emmerdale etc

I wouldn't have moved First runs over to 3e but all of their repeats, avoid ITV programmes at all cost that aren't making money.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/a-new-dawn-for-tv3-as-it-goes-on-the-counter-attack-1.2007363?page=2

Oh-hum!

TV3+1 going to UPC, expecting to add 5% !!! 0.5% less when only on one platform.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's a surprise if ever there was one. Could mean an EPG shake up for UPC customers as there are no spots free at the top of the EPG and knowing TV3 they will insist on this channel getting a prime spot. (In fact it should also give us a good idea of where they are planning to put UTV).

Ha TV3 will need a little bit more then a +1 channel to stem to flow of viewers away .. If they survive into 2016 and beyond they will be doing well IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/a-new-dawn-for-tv3-as-it-goes-on-the-counter-attack-1.2007363?page=2

Oh-hum!

TV3+1 going to UPC, expecting to add 5% !!! 0.5% less when only on one platform.

I think they mean 5% of their current audience, not 5% of the total audience. Viewing a +1 channel is a minority sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Well in fairness to them they dont intend to give up the fight and fade away into the background. whether the audience stays with them is another thing as most tv3 home produced programmes have a tendency to rate very poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    That's a surprise if ever there was one. Could mean an EPG shake up for UPC customers as there are no spots free at the top of the EPG and knowing TV3 they will insist on this channel getting a prime spot. (In fact it should also give us a good idea of where they are planning to put UTV).

Could they possibly push bbc and channel 4 out a few spaces to 110,111 and 112? Then they can have:
    101 rte1
    102 rte2
    103 tv3
    104 tg4
    105 setanta
    106 3e
    107 UTV Ireland
    108 RTE1 +1
    109 TV3 +1

Although, I'm sure the other channels will launch a +1 service soon too.

Another way UPC could go is moving the +1 channels to the exact same numbers as they are, but placing a 1 in-front of its usual digits.
    eg.
    RTE1 is 101
    TV3 is 103
    RTE+1 would be 1101
    TV3+1 would be 1103

• Advertisement

I'm not sure the software can cope with four digit channel numbers, though it would actually be a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mollser

Not that it has lost all its imports to UTV: viewers who up until now could choose between UTV and TV3 may find that the latter has become their only option for programmes such as The X Factor, Downton Abbey and Broadchurch.

That's an interesting little quote - this seems to be indicating that UPC will lose UTV NI HD, however given the article reads as a puff piece from TV3 rather than any critical analysis, I do hope its wishful thinking rather a fact. I am sure UPC have a contract in place with UTV anyway. No other platform has UTV on it anyway??

We need those shows in HD! :p

mollser wrote: »
    That's an interesting little quote - this seems to be indicating that UPC will lose UTV NI HD, however given the article reads as a puff piece from TV3 rather than any critical analysis, I do hope its wishful thinking rather a fact. I am sure UPC have a contract in place with UTV anyway. No other platform has UTV on it anyway??

We need those shows in HD! :p

Wonder if TAM will continue to provide UTV NI ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Oh-hum!

I thought it might replace 3e, but obviously not as the article states addition

Not on 1st December anyway, though it could be part of a long term plan to try to hold onto 3e's valuable EPG slots if it did go belly up after the big change over in the new year.

I thought it might replace 3e, but obviously not as the article states addition

3e is retaining an audience for them, though I don't see the appeal, I think if a similar channel started up it would be a blow to 3e.
    Not on 1st December anyway

Why do you say this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would imagine because the 1st Dec 2014 comes before 1st Jan 2015, when something else happens.

3e won't be going anywhere before the New Years, whether it goes anywhere after that is another kettle of fish entirely (though I'd expect to remain on air either way in the short to medium term.) But TV3+1 gives them something to fill the space with if 3e did go bellyup - important in the case of Sky in particular as they would regain control of it, if it weren't filled.

icdg wrote: »
    3e won't be going anywhere before the New Years, whether it goes anywhere after that is another kettle of fish entirely (though I'd expect to remain on air either way in the short to medium term.) But TV3+1 gives them something to fill the space with if 3e did go bellyup - important in the case of Sky in particular as they would regain control of it, if it weren't filled.

I don't think 3e is going anywhere TBH. Not taking into consideration their I'm a Celeb... programme over the next month, 3e has retained 2-3% of TV3 audience, 2-3% that aren't going to move to UTV Ireland.

TV3 would look really bad if it dropped 3e even to have it replace by TV3+1.

They should really have considered a MIXED service that could launch on Sat and in NI. Cheap 3e imports plus 50% TV3 home produce programming.

• Advertisement

Sky seem to be very slow to launch any more Irish channels - maybe they are getting sick of paying for carriage. RTÉ One HD, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ One+1, TG4HD and now TV3+1 seem all to be on the long finger... they really should be made carry all PSB channels by law.

Advertisement