Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

irishfeen wrote: »
    Sky seem to be very slow to launch any more Irish channels - maybe they are getting sick of paying for carriage. RTÉ One HD, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ One+1, TG4HD and now TV3+1 seem all to be on the long finger... they really should be made carry all PSB channels by law.

RTÉ should have insisted that if they want RTÉ channels that they take all of them. The DG is stating that FTA channel ad value then he should risk Sky dropping RTÉ ONE and 2.

TG4 HD is just a mess when will it launch on any other platform

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ should have insisted that if they want RTÉ channels that they take all of them. The DG is stating that FTA channel ad value then he should risk Sky dropping RTÉ ONE and 2.

TG4 HD is just a mess when will it launch on any other platform
    Yep I agree, RTÉ, TV3, TG4, UTVI, BBC, ITV, C4 & C5 should all come to an agreement to pull all their channels from pay platforms if they don't take all channels and pay for carriage. If the Irish channels disappeared from Sky tomorrow there would be cancellations on masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Yep I agree, RTÉ, TV3, TG4, UTVI, BBC, ITV, C4 & C5 should all come to an agreement to pull all their channels from pay platforms if they don't take all channels and pay for carriage. If the Irish channels disappeared from Sky tomorrow there would be cancellations on masse.

Doubt that - majority would simply get Saorview for RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/a-new-dawn-for-tv3-as-it-goes-on-the-counter-attack-1.2007363?page=2

Oh-hum!

TV3+1 going to UPC, expecting to add 5% !!! 0.5% less when only on one platform.

If UPC add TV3 +1, whats to stop RTE adding full time +1 services, or indeed UTVI having a +1 service?

Infoanon wrote: »
    I guarantee it - RTÉ's viewership in Ireland is among the highest for any state broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Funny isn't it, TV3 is doing it best according to press reports to prevent UTVI broadcasting on Saorview while on the other hand appears to be bypassing Saorview for one of its own channels. Dog in the manger?

The Cush wrote: »
    Funny isn't it, TV3 is doing it best according to press reports to prevent UTVI broadcasting on Saorview while on the other hand appears to be bypassing Saorview for one of its own channels. Dog in the manger?
    I don't think TV3 themselves fully know what the hell they are going to do come Jan 1st... you will see them attack UTV massively for non homegrown content even though its exactly what they have done over the last decade and a half. I genuinely don't think TV3 have the knowhow to get out of this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Those who think free to air channels pulling themselves from Sky would make any difference need only look at the early days of Sky Digital when ITV thought that keeping their channels off the platform would give ONdigital a competitive advantage.

These days few remember the "for ITV press TV then 3" message (of course it never appeared in Ireland, where the EPG started at 106 in those days). Or ONdigital, for that matter.

icdg wrote: »
    Those who think free to air channels pulling themselves from Sky would make any difference need only look at the early days of Sky Digital when ITV thought that keeping their channels off the platform would give ONdigital a competitive advantage.

These days few remember the "for ITV press TV then 3" message (of course it never appeared in Ireland, where the EPG started at 106 in those days). Or ONdigital, for that matter.
    Television in Ireland is fundamentally different to the UK though - if RTÉ pulled both channels from sky then it would cause massive hassle for sky... as I said Irish viewers are very loyal to RTÉ.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There was more to that than you say. I think there was a problem with encryption being broken by some shadowy figures - that removed on-digital's income. Somehow, the same shadowy figures did not target Sky in the same.

RTE should play hard-ball - they have nothing to lose as Sky needs them more than RTE needs Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Infoanon wrote: »

I wouldn't doubt it at all. Sky need RTÉ badly in this country and RTÉ should take advantage of that because if they aren't on Sky then viewers will go elsewhere to watch them.

Contrary to what people say about RTÉ, it is by a massive margin the most peopular channel in the country.

Sky most certainly do not want people exploring FTA alternatives to their rip off.

On Digital failed due to hacking of the system which was very convenient for Sky. I wont say who it was that hacked it as it might cause legal issues for this site but most people know anyway.

That is true only of RTE1 - RTE2 is struggling. A huge amount of people watch RTE One and only RTE One - but then again these people don't tend to have Sky.

We are going quite a bit off topic here but the topic of PSBs and their relationship with Sky is something that is going to be in the news over the next twelve months. I may split off these posts later so we can have a seperate discussion if that's what people want.

Just to say as well, the identity of the hackers of MediaGuard was never proven so we shouldn't speculate. Regardless of this, ITV branded channels (other than the ITV Sport Channel) never used the system anyway, they were free to air even while ONdigital was still running.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I wouldn't doubt it at all. Sky need RTÉ badly in this country and RTÉ should take advantage of that because if they aren't on Sky then viewers will go elsewhere to watch them.

Contrary to what people say about RTÉ, it is by a massive margin the most peopular channel in the country.

Sky most certainly do not want people exploring FTA alternatives to their rip off.

On Digital failed due to hacking of the system which was very convenient for Sky. I wont say who it was that hacked it as it might cause legal issues for this site but most people know anyway.
    Your absolutely right - RTÉ for all its faults remains probably the most watched state broadcaster in Europe which is a remarkable achievement when the giants of world broadcasting BBC & ITV are FTA and widely available.
    Irish people like Irish television, it's as simple as that and UTV would be well advised to remember that as they launch UTVI... To make money ITV stuff will do, to make hay they have to take on RTÉ with quality Irish programming.

That is true only of RTE1 - RTE2 is struggling. A huge amount of people watch RTE One and only RTE One - but then again these people don't tend to have Sky.

We are going quite a bit off topic here but the topic of PSBs and their relationship with Sky is something that is going to be in the news over the next twelve months. I may split off these posts later so we can have a seperate discussion if that's what people want.
    RTÉ2 has been hit exceptionally hard with most sport and American series going behind the paywall - the lack of sport is crippling them. Remember the days when they had live Premier League, Heineken Cup, F1 etc and series like Lost, Desperate Housewives before the rest of Europe. Sky Atlantic and the pay sport channels have just completely decimated what made RTÉ2 successful.

RTÉ2 has been hit exceptionally hard with most sport and American series going behind the paywall - the lack of sport is crippling them. Remember the days when they had live Premier League, Heineken Cup, F1 etc and series like Lost, Desperate Housewives before the rest of Europe. Sky Atlantic and the pay sport channels have just completely decimated what made RTÉ2 successful.

Like TV3 RTÉ2 rely too heavily on one source of material (Sport and ITV Soaps), neither know that they needed a good mix of Irish material that suits their schedule. TV3 should have had a Soap since 2001 to compliment the ITV soaps, while RTÉ2 need Irish programming that complements its US programmes. Thus reducing reliance on other programming. The Ubiquity of US TV has also hampered RTÉ2.

Like TV3 RTÉ2 rely too heavily on one source of material (Sport and ITV Soaps), neither know that they needed a good mix of Irish material that suits their schedule. TV3 should have had a Soap since 2001 to compliment the ITV soaps, while RTÉ2 need Irish programming that complements its US programmes. Thus reducing reliance on other programming. The Ubiquity of US TV has also hampered RTÉ2.
    The thing is that RTÉ2 is now full of Irish content but it's generally poor quality- the recession hit RTÉ hard and RTÉ one was prioritised majority. Their latest rebrand has been just terrible and looks very tacky. I dont know where it's future lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The thing is that RTÉ2 is now full of Irish content but it's generally poor quality

Really? Looking at tonight, and over the weekend - I can't see one new Irish show.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Really? Looking at tonight, and over the weekend - I can't see one new Irish show.
    Well just look at Monday night - hardly sets the world on fire with homegrown stuff.

Republic of Telly
    Baz's Extreme Worlds
    World Forecast
    Naked Camera
    Second Captains Live

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As for imports, RTÉ2 is getting in Homeland and Marvel Agents of Shield before the UK.

• Advertisement

TV3 anyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

TV3 anyone....

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BreakingBadLad

Can anyone explain to me why TV3 are goin ahead with a +1 channel? 3e is basically that with regards to the repeated studio programming. Would TV3 not be better off switching to HD instead of launching this channel?

Can anyone explain to me why TV3 are goin ahead with a +1 channel? 3e is basically that with regards to the repeated studio programming. Would TV3 not be better off switching to HD instead of launching this channel?
    This is TV3 we are talking about .. It's what they do.

This is TV3 we are talking about .. It's what they do.

The mind boggles...it will be interesting to see whether UTVI launches in HD on saorview or not. That will surely force TV3 to upgrade! [hopefully]

The mind boggles...it will be interesting to see whether UTVI launches in HD on saorview or not. That will surely force TV3 to upgrade! [hopefully]

They are going HD for the WC but prob not on Saorview. Particularly when TV3+1 is just going on UPC.

They are going HD for the WC but prob not on Saorview. Particularly when TV3+1 is just going on UPC.
    If they last that long that is ...

Hopefully tv3 surprise everyone and launch in HD on January 1st. Hopefully.

Hopefully tv3 surprise everyone and launch in HD on January 1st. Hopefully.
    For maybe the odd film and champions league match a HD channel would be an advantage but realistically it still won't make me watch as their schedule is very poor and almost non existant for men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Indo business supplement has an article on tv3 and redrock etc today. Not much new in it other than costcutter has signed up to be the local supermarket under product placement like Spar for Fair City.

Advertisement