Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

iseegirls wrote: »
    They have tried that with a few shows starting at 10pm on a Wednesday, when the People's Debate was on. It didn't really raise the figures at all - it had the same amount of viewers that an 11pm show had.

I don't like the People's Debate shows. They are pointless and I know others who feel the same. I would however watch the normal Tonight with Vincent Browne show. I think moving it to 9.30 or 10pm would increase viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't like the People's Debate shows. They are pointless and I know others who feel the same. I would however watch the normal Tonight with Vincent Browne show. I think moving it to 9.30 or 10pm would increase viewers.

The problem with the 9:30/10pm start is Prime Time/Claire Byrne Live. Regardless of what you think of RTÉ both shows are vastly superior than VB Tonight, both in terms of content and presentation (not the presenters, I know VB has moved into the main studio, which is a big improvement).

Also I think the audience for these shows moves from one to the other, I imagine 40,000 are taking a quick look at Ireland Live at 10.

The People's Debate is possibly one of the most pointless and argumentative programmes ever produced. It's Jeremy Kyle meets Question Time.

It'd have possibly been better to move VB to 7pm and produce a half hour late night chat show to replace TSOCS and repeat VB at 12am.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

irishfeen wrote: »
    Those figures are worrying for TV3 - having a show at 11pm leading the way is just beyond belief.

Vincent needs to be moved to 10pm to take full advantage of his pull for those getting up early the next morning.

It's known now for starting at 11 and must lead the ratings for that time slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Edited now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

great. they can give away free carrolls hams for the whole stake in tv3! seriously though if it is as the Indo says its probably a management buy out funded by Cardinal like the Carrolls ham deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not good for TV3 to end up with another venture capital fund. Really it needs to be part of a broadcaster to help it develop, ideally a big international broadcaster with whom it can share programme supply costs.

icdg wrote: »
    Not good for TV3 to end up with another venture capital fund. Really it needs to be part of a broadcaster to help it develop, ideally a big international broadcaster with whom it can share programme supply costs.

Yeah even in the Canwest era it had Fireworks for most of their US imports and 3 years later ITV for English imports.

DH want out, they possibly never really planned to stay this long and its a case of them working towards another leverage buyout of TV3. Though does DH take their debt with them in this situation leaving TV3 with new borrowings? How many times can you buy a company using their assets, which are almost all virtual, and with the lose of ITV shows much of the goodwill asset is diminished. If they don't sell before RWC, they'll not be sold IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm surprised a capital firm are interested - there aren't many assets left to strip at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm surprised a capital firm are interested - there aren't many assets left to strip at this stage!
    The HD studio is probably the only thing of any real value - isn't it bigger then RTÉ's main studio they use of the Late Late Show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

L1011 wrote: »

An article in the Irish Times today about preliminary talks - a lot of spin in the article eg the profit for 2013 is stated as 7.5 million BUT that is not the operating profit but rather the profit on the buy back of the loans.

The real news is that there is to be no further investment into TV3 by the owners.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there not a claw back of the bailout €80m if it is sold?

I thought that was a fig leaf to justify the free money deal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Is there not a claw back of the bailout €80m if it is sold?

I thought that was a fig leaf to justify the free money deal for them.

I would doubt it - they would have not been able to take in the full profit on the write down if there was.

I really would question why anyone would be interested in a TV channel.

There are really only a few products worth having on TV3, the few ITV programmes, Champions League and RWC are all that come to mind. The rest don't bring in big audiences.

Irish Television over the last few years has had a number of financial difficulties. The economy caused 33% of all TV advertising revenue to disappear, while at the same time more and more opt-out services became available, then less TV viewers watching Irish TV channels (From 55% in 2006 down to 43% in 2013).

And then there is on demand viewing which will clearly grow into the future.

TV3's online service is questionable, its like they have ignored it completely.

They have no real news section something that surely drives people to a TV service that has one of the most popular Current Affairs shows in the country.

They have no real sports section yet they own the rights to Champions League and the RWC.

Suppose they have Xposé for Xfactor and BGT. But how many well known entertainment news site are their in Ireland? RTÉ TEN, Entertainment.ie, joe.ie, her.ie, dailyedge.ie and other smaller ones making there way up.

Irish TV (The TV channel) could launch a new service for Ireland (Irish TV2) and headhunt all of TV3's staff and buy in a few American programmes and recreate a new service similar in style to TV3! Eventually TV3 would have to sell their Xfactor rights to someone. While that sounds like madess it is about as mad as buying TV3.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It would suit Viacom, if they were in any way inclined to buy it.

Since Channel 5 isn't officially available over here, and much of their programming isn't sold to other Irish broadcasters (ignoring whatever role they have with Home and Away and Neighbours), it'd be plenty of programmes for TV3 and 3e like The Gadget Show, Fifth Gear, Big Brother, etc. and other low-brow stuff that's right up TV3's alley.

Plus with Spike being blocked here, there's more content for TV3/3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

byte wrote: »
    It would suit Viacom, if they were in any way inclined to buy it.

No longer interested it appears
    US media giant Viacom, whose brands include MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon, was said to interested in TV3 at one point, but is now thought to not be in the running.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/usbased-carlyle-has-broadcaster-tv3-in-frame-for-takeover-31149181.html

Sunday times and SBPost today have contrasting stories. Times says Tv3 owners gearing up for sale with Liberty a favourite. The Post however has changed its tune from their last story and says the Cardinal fund are not interested anymore and that TV3 actually approached them.
    Some talk in the Times of analysts being happy with TV3 at the moment and their share of viewing and saying its a good time for a sale. Either way its seems they are desperate to dispose of TV3 to anyone that will take it before the ship sinks further. I cant see Liberty buying it unless they get it for peanuts.

It shows you how the Dail really asked the wrong question of the media in relation to driving up the cost of property, they should take a look at the suggested values for the sales of companies.

IMO TV3 went to a friend in Viacom to ask would he let them say they were interested, he said sure no problem but just for a week after that the company will deny approach TV3 or being interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Post makes it seem like Doughty are in a hurry to offload TV3, which if you are a seller is not something you want out there, even if it were true.

Doughty look like they are in a hurry to get rid of most of their Fund 4 acquisitions. I wonder what's being said in TV3. The only option is to sell or close? Would a private equity firm shut up shop rather than continue if the company isn't sold?

In terms of audience BGT on Sunday didn't really seem to push up TV3 audience, certainly UTV Ireland's weekend shows from ITV are suffering because they don't have BGT. But TV3 didn't hold an audience for their repeat of Brainhacker considering it went out after BGT and the success of the first 3 episodes of "You're Back in the Room".

Red Rock is suffering because of the rest of the TV3 schedule, getting 90,000 and 70,000 adults. Xposé continues to loose its audience, are people turning to Ireland Live as a lead into Emmerdale? though The 5:30 retain its average of 123,000 for March.

Though all channels saw a slump, which is unusual for the first week in April generally audiences drop to these levels in June and July. Friends hasn't help RTÉ2, getting below 50,000 and not in the top 20.

UTV's top 20 has returned to its Jan figures with no really growth The Chase is now on between it and Judge Judy.

RTÉ ONE is also down but Clare Byrne got into 5th place with 350,000.

1 Britain's Got Talent 249
    2 UEFA Champions League 170
    3 All Star Family Fortunes 108
    4 Tonight With Vincent Browne 106
    5 Tonight With Vincent Browne 94
    6 Britain's Got More Talent 94
    7 Islanders 93
    8 Red Rock 90
    9 Catchphrase 85
    10 The People's Debate 84
    11 Tonight With Vincent Browne 81
    12 The Tenements 78
    13 Big Star's Little Star 76
    14 Judge Judy 71
    15 Ireland's Paramedics 70
    16 Red Rock 70
    17 Judge Judy 66
    18 Xpose 60
    19 Xpose 60
    20 24 Hours To Kill 58

sunday independent saying tv3 have inked a deal with Endemol to show big brother and CBB. Should make them more of an attraction with those popular programmes to prospective buyers same article says.

http://www.independent.ie/business/tv3-gets-the-rights-to-big-brother-as-buyers-loom-31171743.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

sunday independent saying tv3 have inked a deal with Endemol to show big brother and CBB. Should make them more of an attraction with those popular programmes to prospective buyers same article says.

http://www.independent.ie/business/tv3-gets-the-rights-to-big-brother-as-buyers-loom-31171743.html
    Oh god, just when I thought they couldn't get any worse ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

[

What an awfully written pro tv3 propaganda piece and big brother hasn't been popular since about 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Should make them more of an attraction with those popular programmes to prospective buyers same article says.

It will turn anyone with more than two brain cells away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Why would I watch it on tv3 when I can series link both already on my freesat box through Channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

mikom wrote: »
    Why would I watch it on tv3 when I can series link both already on my freesat box through Channel 5.

A lot of people have UPC only so it will benefit them. A good adition for TV3 as it is a ratings topper for Channel 5 in the UK. It regularly beats whatever is on Channel 4 (it's former home) in that time slot.

• Advertisement

Koloman wrote: »
    A lot of people have UPC only so it will benefit them. A good adition for TV3 as it is a ratings topper for Channel 5 in the UK. It regularly beats whatever is on Channel 4 (it's former home) in that time slot.

Your comparing Channel4 and Channel5 with TV3, that's like describing ITV with RTÉ2.

Big brother is too much of a niche programme. It will be lucky to bring in an audience for TV3.

Advertisement