Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I can recall him doing a mid morning tv chat show around 93-94

Yeah it ran until 1997 but before that he had a prime time show and also Go For It

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

TV3 Showing the FA Cup final for the next 4 years.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/166762/FA-CUP-FINAL-TO-BE-SHOWN-LIVE-ON-TV3

No details about any other rounds though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

iseegirls wrote: »
    TV3 Showing the FA Cup final for the next 4 years.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/166762/FA-CUP-FINAL-TO-BE-SHOWN-LIVE-ON-TV3

No details about any other rounds though.

its probably got the rights Setanta Ireland have for this season

So next season from the 3rd round, its probably BBCtv live games along with 3pm saturday/sunday non bbc/bt sport live games

its a good deal for tv3

TV3 might go for 3pm Eng Premier league games from 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Their link clearly states that they will be showing the FA Cup Final for the next four years. There is no mention of other rounds for this year (obviously) or for future years, only the final. The speculation on the previous post is quite a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Also, no mention of HD, so it will be BBC 1 HD for most people.

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »

HD seems to be put off until the very last date up to RWC. They really should take the FA Cup Final to launch HD.

Also I heard that TV3 are planning to put a show on hiatus with a bigger replacement show, though not much more than this. May not happen.

I wonder if TV3 are interested in those Setanta 3pm games?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Elmo wrote: »

I doubt they could afford them. I will agree with the earlier poster and say that any talk about the Premier League 3pm's and TV3 taking Setanta's FA Cup contract are 100% speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

HD seems to be put off until the very last date up to RWC. They really should take the FA Cup Final to launch HD.

Also I heard that TV3 are planning to put a show on hiatus with a bigger replacement show, though not much more than this. May not happen.

I wouldn't take UTV Ireland out of the equation for the 3pm games either - Rules placed on Setanta because of their deal with BT means they have probably halved in value for Setanta... UTV/TV3 would not be subject to quotas meaning they would be much more valuable - showing one of the big 5 (Arsenal, United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea) almost every single week.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wouldn't take UTV Ireland out of the equation for the 3pm games either - Rules placed on Setanta because of their deal with BT means they have probably halved in value for Setanta... UTV/TV3 would not be subject to quotas meaning they would be much more valuable - showing one of the big 5 (Arsenal, United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea) almost every single week.

Your putting RTÉ into the equation. With TV3 hoovering up everything available to them it seems like that might be interested, but if not and if RTÉ feel that they'd make a return with the games then they might buy those rights.

I have a feeling that UTV Ireland isn't ready to go after sporting events, they haven't announce anything really since their initial announcement to start the channel back in 2013.

RTÉ on the other hand have lost a huge amount this year in terms of sport. They have no major world sporting event, while RWC hasn't be exclusive to them since 2004??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Your putting RTÉ into the equation. With TV3 hoovering up everything available to them it seems like that might be interested, but if not and if RTÉ feel that they'd make a return with the games then they might buy those rights.

I have a feeling that UTV Ireland isn't ready to go after sporting events, they haven't announce anything really since their initial announcement to start the channel back in 2013.

RTÉ on the other hand have lost a huge amount this year in terms of sport. They have no major world sporting event, while RWC hasn't be exclusive to them since 2004??
    MD of UTV has said that sports acquisition's will be made as they "become available"... now whether that's just a soundbite I do not know - I suppose we will find out in due course.

The thing about RTÉ is that they would never hear the end of it if they paid millions for the rights - you would get the "talk to Joe" brigade saying how disgraceful it was that RTÉ are supporting foreign games... they really can't win.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    MD of UTV has said that sports acquisition's will be made as they "become available"... now whether that's just a soundbite I do not know - I suppose we will find out in due course.

The thing about RTÉ is that they would never hear the end of it if they paid millions for the rights - you would get the "talk to Joe" brigade saying how disgraceful it was that RTÉ are supporting foreign games... they really can't win.

True but only if TV3 or UTV Ireland is interested.

I spoke to UTV's MD and asked about other rights and he said that his aquisitions team were looking into them. No doubt that they'd have other programmes outside of ITV, nada nothing, this was the day they announced Pat Kenny as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

lertsnim wrote: »
    Their link clearly states that they will be showing the FA Cup Final for the next four years. There is no mention of other rounds for this year (obviously) or for future years, only the final. The speculation on the previous post is quite a stretch.

Yes, presumably Setanta Ireland & BT will be carrying on with rounds three onwards, still, it at least ensures Saorview viewers don't miss out.

galtee boy wrote: »

will TV3 try to block bbc1's live coverage of the final for upc viewers

Any more details? I would presume the 7 O'Clock Show would be rested for the summer.

No sign of the Irish Gogglebox or Blind Date. They were supposed to start in Feb.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm not sure where the idea Setanta have given up the rights they won for the FA Cup has come from. More likely they just didn't buy the rights to the final in the first place (BT Sport, who have UK and Ireland rights for their games but non-exclusively in the case of the final, will have it anyway).

You have to laugh some times!

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/red-rock-garda-soap-pulls-in-abc1-audience-1.2211257

Main points: -

1. Series average at 156,000 (rises to 200,000 or so consolidated)
    2. Not replicating Coro St and Emmer
    3. It's doing better than Nothing to Declare, Booze Patrol Down Under and Tipping Point: Lucky Stars (That used to air at that time!)
    4. ABC1 are really enjoying the show, but they also like Hollyoaks. (BTW that's the majority of its viewers are ABC1s, in other words Coro Street could have 100,000 ABC1s or just 33% of its audience, while Red Rock might have 70,000 ABC1 or 50% of its audience, or Hollyoaks might have 10,000 viewers all of which are ABC1s).

Statistics statistics etc.

Red Rock is good but lets be fair, TV3 isn't.

Interesting how these stories didn't appear before the slight upswing in audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ftakeith wrote: »
    will TV3 try to block bbc1's live coverage of the final for upc viewers

I don't think the dreaded 'program not available in ROI because of rights restrictions' has ever appeared for a program on BBC1/2. Would be an interesting step if this happened at peak time on a Saturday night.

BTW that's the majority of its viewers are ABC1s, in other words Coro Street could have 100,000 ABC1s or just 33% of its audience, while Red Rock might have 70,000 ABC1 or 50% of its audience, or Hollyoaks might have 10,000 viewers all of which are ABC1s

Thanks for clearing that up. I think i read that part 3 times this morning and still couldn't get my head around that fact. :o

Glad that the show has done ok in the ratings. As said before, it's not been helped one bit by the programming surrounding it, which is TV3's own fault. Pity it didn't launch around September when it would have given them that extra bit of support with the soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Watching big brother on tv3 and want to find out what happens with series link when it changes from tv3 to 3e and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Watching big brother on tv3 and want to find out what happens with series link when it changes from tv3 to 3e and back.

- If your with Upc you should set up a series link on TV3 and 3e. I don't know about Sky or Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Vincent Browne will present a referendum special in The George this Saturday afternoon at 4 on TV3.

Why are TV3 putting Red Rock on at 10pm rather than 9pm tonight and tomorrow?

Wouldn't Red Rock would do 10 times better than Off their Rockers between BGT Live and BGT Live Result shows?

Ah I see now, They are happy to let Coronation Street take their viewers. My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Why are TV3 putting Red Rock on at 10pm rather than 9pm tonight and tomorrow?

Wouldn't Red Rock would do 10 times better than Off their Rockers between BGT Live and BGT Live Result shows?

Ah I see now, They are happy to let Coronation Street take their viewers. My bad!

You also suspect the Europa League Final audience will be well down, when 3e tends to be squashed into a corner in most TV listings.

You also suspect the Europa League Final audience will be well down, when 3e tends to be squashed into a corner in most TV listings.

Bet you off their rockers gets into tv3s top 10 for Thursday and that it beats red rock tonight, and that both coro at eps drop below 200,000.

Medialive figures only 15+ live

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

How did Vincent Browne's referendum programme fare compared to RTE?

How did Vincent Browne's referendum programme fare compared to RTE?

No info on any of them. Strange as usual Vincent and Vote20xx aren't considered news. We'll know when the monthly figures come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

I have heard a few say this morning that they didn't know the Europa match was on a Wednesday so they missed it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The final has been on a Wednesday for years though, I'm not sure how well that excuse stands. Nobody misses the Champions League final just because it is played on a Saturday! On paper it wouldn't have been a particularly attractive fixture, at least to Irish viewers, although as it happened it turned out to be a good game of football. I wonder what happened to that seemingly aborted rebrand of 3e incidently.

A friend of mine that works in advertising is telling me that UTV is trying to buy TV3 as talks have started.

If that is true, what happens in the future I asked her

TV3 will remain, but UTV Ireland will take 3e's place and the ITV content that it does not have.

I hope that happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ftakeith wrote: »
    A friend of mine that works in advertising is telling me that UTV is trying to buy TV3 as talks have started.

If that is true, what happens in the future I asked her

TV3 will remain, but UTV Ireland will take 3e's place and the ITV content that it does not have.

I hope that happens

that would be a pretty desperate move by UTV - TV3 would in effect then become 3e if it happens.

Advertisement