Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

i really hoe this happens then thats when utv ireland will really take off and become successful as long as tv3 has itv content and has it high epg it will have more viewers than utv ireland. i find watching btg when i want to see bgt more i have to use itv2 why did they not put it on 3e after the main show. i read tv3 only has pre 15 itv content until mid 16. this is killing utv because tv3 show repets of itv content and its hurting them badly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

that would be a pretty desperate move by UTV - TV3 would in effect then become 3e if it happens.

Yeah disappointing for the viewer also as there are lots of shows that 3e hold that neither UTV or TV3 would show. If it did happen you would hope that a rebrand would happen TV3 would be come basically UTV proper with a few opt out shows from TV3 (like Vincent Browne moving to 10pm) with 3e becoming UTV2 and the UTV that don't fit on the TV3 schedule going on 3e (Like the News at 10).

It just shows that really neither UTV or TV3 knew how to handle the arrival of UTV Ireland. Little research done on Irish audiences.

But sure it all good acording to all at both channels. Takeover from UTV pish-posh more like Liberty Global, Sky, Viacom, Discovery ...... emmmm RTÉ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

ftakeith wrote: »
    A friend of mine that works in advertising is telling me that UTV is trying to buy TV3 as talks have started.
    s

Doubt that very much,TV3 is desperately looking for a buyer and there has been a LOT of spinning about potential buyers.

UTV looked at buying TV3 before,did a due diligence and ran a mile.

Ireland AM to air on Saturday and Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Delta2113 wrote: »

“It is an exciting time. It will be filmed in the HD studios, so it will have a very polished look"

It's a pity the programme will still be SD, as the HD channel doesn't launch till August

I honestly believe the TV3 staff think that because something is filmed in their HD studio, that they are actually broadcasting it in that format

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ivan Yates should do OK, but Simon Delaney - not so much.

The puff piece listed Ivan Yates as a former TD - I would have thought his stint as a Minister would rate more and certainly worth a mention.

Ivan Yates should do OK, but Simon Delaney - not so much.

The puff piece listed Ivan Yates as a former TD - I would have thought his stint as a Minister would rate more and certainly worth a mention.

Not his bankruptcy? No wait sorry forget that.

More and more morning shows from TV3, pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

It's a pity the programme will still be SD, as the HD channel doesn't launch till August.

The programme also doesn't launch until August, so it can be in HD from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Sunday Times reporting a possible bid from Independent News and Media for TV3, mainly from a competition law perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just a quick question out of interest - I was at slane for the FA Cup final so didn't see TV3's coverage - did they use their own graphics or did they use the god awful FA graphics for international broadcasters which are massive?

Yes, they used the world feed graphics (same as Setanta) and titles (which Setanta used to use, but replaced with their own work this season).

icdg wrote: »
    Yes, they used the world feed graphics (same as Setanta) and titles (which Setanta used to use, but replaced with their own work this season).
    Among the worst graphics I have ever seen, truly terrible design which is very distracting on the eye.

You'd kind of wonder if journalist pay attention, IMO its views like these that cause over valuation of companies & the Bust, rather that the property pages.
    That said, it is unlikely that INM, the focus of much attention, will try to buy the for-sale TV3. It is far more reasonable to assume that TV3 will stay under foreign ownership, with either Viacom or UPC-owner Liberty Global taking it off Doughty Hanson’s hands.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/no-action-is-recommended-recurring-theme-of-media-mergers-review-1.2244740
    INM, which would have to club together with another company to afford the expected TV3 price tag anyway.

What is the expected price tag? €150million to buy debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »

There has been an awful lot of contolled leaks regarding TV3s future - as a rule potential suitors do not like this behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Infoanon wrote: »
    There has been an awful lot of contolled leaks regarding TV3s future - as a rule potential suitors do not like this behaviour

The reality is they are probably trying desperately to flush out a bid from utv

It is the lead story in the Irish Times Business section today, who aren't ones to engage in idle speculation. There's definitely a story here.

• Advertisement

It is the lead story in the Irish Times Business section today, who aren't ones to engage in idle speculation. There's definitely a story here.

No but it is a sales pitch for TV3.
    TV3’s ratings have also held up well in the face of UTV Ireland’s debut this year and the loss of British soaps Emmerdale and Coronation Street to the Belfast company.

In particular, the station’s new drama Red Rock has performed well since airing for the first time this year.

The posting by GorxonGekko is probably closer to the truth - why else would you place stories - though for UTV I would add another

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Its beginning to look seriously like there isn't room for two independent stations in ROI, the market and population is too small. Therefore a merger/sale/ buyout of TV3 by UTV Ireland would make real sense. One independent channel, with access to the entire ITV schedule, plus the best of the home produced programming by TV3 ( Red Rock is looking like a success story ) and I think we would have an independent station capable of giving RTE some real competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

galtee boy wrote: »
    Its beginning to look seriously like there isn't room for two independent stations in ROI, the market and population is too small. Therefore a merger/sale/ buyout of TV3 by UTV Ireland would make real sense. One independent channel, with access to the entire ITV schedule, plus the best of the home produced programming by TV3 ( Red Rock is looking like a success story ) and I think we would have an independent station capable of giving RTE some real competition.

Indeed, both stations are effectively chasing the same 15-34 age demographic, and a mix of domestic and imported programming would seem most cost-effective for both sides.

Indeed, both stations are effectively chasing the same 15-34 age demographic, and a mix of domestic and imported programming would seem most cost-effective for both sides.

What 15-34 yr olds watch Ireland am, Vincent Browne, midday or the seven o clock show?

galtee boy wrote: »

The issue is probably the fact that UK stations have opt out and now accept Irish ads. This has reduced the amount available to Irish only broadcasters.

The issue is probably the fact that UK stations have opt out and now accept Irish ads. This has reduced the amount available to Irish only broadcasters.

And that Irish Broadcasters have lost 30% of their audience since 2006 from 62% (when you include UTV proper) to 43% in April of this year.

Increased numbers of opt outs with 15% of the ad market taken by Sky according to an article in the Sunday business post from a few years back.

Decreasing number of viewers from Irish TV channels and increasing number of opt-out advertisers.

Both channels need to drastically look at the markets they are aiming for. If TV3 wants to go down the road of the lucrative 15 - 35 group it needs to axe those shows mentioned above (Indeed you could add Xposé to that list).

If UTV is going after an older market than it needs to look its Irish programming strands.

And we are not even talking about On-Demand services.

Sunday Times reporting today that Liberty Global are expected to enter into exclusive negotiations to buy TV3 "within the next fortnight".

Sunday Times reporting today that Liberty Global are expected to enter into exclusive negotiations to buy TV3 "within the next fortnight".
    Realistically what has TV3 of any value to Liberty Global? ... if they do buy what changes could we expect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

irishfeen wrote: »
    Realistically what has TV3 of any value to Liberty Global? ... if they do buy what changes could we expect?
    Maybe they might launchTV3 HD and TV3 +1on Saorview and give 3e it's own schedule and cut back on repeats.

Advertisement