Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishfeen wrote: »
    ... if they do buy what changes could we expect?

Paying their Saorview bill would be a good start (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94618404).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Paying their Saorview bill would be a good start (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94618404).

I can't see UPC providing much to Saorview, perhaps a regulatory condition of sale?

Interesting to see if it fetches anything like the money suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tv3 to come off sky????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

One tactic they could take I suppose would be to make the TV3 channels UPC exclusive. But that's fraught with a ton of complications, including handing back the television programme service contract and swapping it for a content contract. If they did it before the RWC they'd have to offer Ireland's games to a FTA broadcaster. Ultimately I don't think they'll do it, at least in the short run. Rugby World Cup (which is a once off) besides, they've no "must see" content that would make people switch from Sky/Saorview to UPC in order to watch it. Maybe Tuesday Champions League games, though that might not be a big enough draw when Setanta&BT are also showing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Red Rock not re-funded in Sound & Vision. Suspect that's it gone then.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Red Rock not re-funded in Sound & Vision. Suspect that's it gone then.

Red rock was funded from the last round for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Has anyone else noticed the sound on TV3's studio based programmes is completely un-listenable. It's the same on both UPC and Saorview. Was flicking around earlier and a repeat of Xpose was on, it's sounds very unprofessional and 'community like'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Has anyone else noticed the sound on TV3's studio based programmes is completely un-listenable. It's the same on both UPC and Saorview. Was flicking around earlier and a repeat of Xpose was on, it's sounds very unprofessional and 'community like'

As long as it can be just about heard and viewed, that's all they care about. Very low broadcast quality standards.

Confirmed on Matt Cooper 's show that liberty are now in exclusive talks to buy tv3

• Advertisement

Confirmed on Matt Cooper 's show that liberty are now in exclusive talks to buy tv3

It will be interesting to see if Liberty could hold on to the channel if it buys Vodafone.

Also Exclusive seriously, no other buyers.

Did the mention a price. DH saying TG for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Can someone please tell me how anyone can think buying TV3 will be a good idea? how much debt will they have to carry?

Can someone please tell me how anyone can think buying TV3 will be a good idea? how much debt will they have to carry?

TBH its John Malone more than anything he is very proud of his Irish Heritage and has been buying up lots of Irish companies.

Love the Pat Rabbitte quote in Financial Times
    The company’s push into Ireland was viewed sceptically by the country’s then communications minister Pat Rabbitte, who warned in 2013 that “we’re a small market”.

No **** Sherlock.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3a0534e4-19b1-11e5-8201-cbdb03d71480.html#axzz3duVOvCht
    http://www.independent.ie/business/media/tv3-on-verge-of-being-sold-to-parent-company-of-upc-31325162.html

TV3 upfronts happening today Saturday and Sunday AM official announced.

TV3 has consolidated its position as number 1 channel after RTÉ 1.

Wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Tv3 to come off sky????

TV3 to lose 700,000 irish subscribers for upc exclusive!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 has consolidated its position as number 1 channel after RTÉ 1.

Wow.

For this year, I suspect. Its also supported entirely by Ireland AM's share of a tiny audience in the mornings; they're floundering in peak.

They're losing their ITV repeats next year, which have been pulling ridiculously large audiences for what they are - sometimes 80% of what the new episode on UTVI at the same time does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

L1011 wrote: »
    For this year, I suspect. Its also supported entirely by Ireland AM's share of a tiny audience in the mornings; they're floundering in peak.

They're losing their ITV repeats next year, which have been pulling ridiculously large audiences for what they are - sometimes 80% of what the new episode on UTVI at the same time does.

Well I have consolidated that I am number 1 in all areas, but for the 10 people who are better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Does anyone know if the rugby world cup will be HD on TV3 via saorview? From what I've read it would seem that you can only get it in HD from a sky or UPC :(

• Advertisement

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the rugby world cup will be HD on TV3 via saorview? From what I've read it would seem that you can only get it in HD from a sky or UPC :(

Interestingly the "upfront" announcement last week made no indication of TV3 HD for the RWC at all.

Most people are guessing that TV3 HD will only be available on Pay TV providers like Sky and UPC. And it is a good guess considering that TV3+1 isn't available on Saorview.

We are guessing the agreement with RTÉ/Saorview about carraige cost was purely to draw a line under that for the new owners if they are bought in the near future.

So no one knows if TV3 will provide a HD service. The BAI had not received an application for the HD service a number of months ago. Though they added TV3+1 on to their licence fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

"TV3 also confirmed that TV3HD will launch in August, and will be available on both Sky and UPC"
    http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/160069/TV3-confirms-ALL-48-Rugby-World-Cup-games

"TV3 also confirmed that TV3HD will launch in August, and will be available on both Sky and UPC"
    http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/160069/TV3-confirms-ALL-48-Rugby-World-Cup-games

Anyone surprised its not going on Saorview.

Can anyone tell me if I am wrong in thinking that the addition of TV3+1 and TV3HD would reduce platform costs on Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Thank christ they'll be in HD, I find the picture quality on TV3 to be shockingly poor in comparison to other SD channels on Sky...

dulpit wrote: »
    Thank christ they'll be in HD, I find the picture quality on TV3 to be shockingly poor in comparison to other SD channels on Sky...
    TV3 might go down the UTVI HD route and make the HD channel part of the sky HD pack... many might be left without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

TV3 might go down the UTVI HD route and make the HD channel part of the sky HD pack... many might be left without it.

Doubt they will – they’ve picked up a lot of (inadvertent) goodwill since the abomination that is UTVI launched, so I reckon they’ll be busy trying to keep that going

Has to be part of the basic package due to psb funding issues. Rte had issues about this before

Has to be part of the basic package due to psb funding issues. Rte had issues about this before
    Are there many programmes on TV3 covered with PSB funding do you know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Red rock.

• Advertisement

Just found this from the BAI - http://www.bai.ie/?ddownload=128140

Looks like UTV Ireland has now obtained funding which would question the HD channel being behind the paywall.

TV3 have 3 so they would have questions to answer too.

Advertisement