Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

The HD was always on for me even during the ads

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Brian017 wrote: »
    The HD was always on for me even during the ads

What does the HD logo look like, similar to +1?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Similar enough.

What is especially odd though, is that right now there is no TV3 Live DOG on TV3 HD, even though there is one on SD. Just "HD" on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Elmo wrote: »
    What does the HD logo look like, similar to +1?

Yeah its exactly like the +1 logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

I had hoped tv3 hd would also bring a boost to quality in SD. SD channel quality is not just poor, its actually out of focus on Sky.

Why can they not improve the quality? It's filmed in HD so surely SD should be cranked up full whack?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

icdg wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a Champions League thing but the "HD" DOG seems to be constantly on tonight and not being removed and added with the TV3 logo.

Nice set though.

I have the same on sky hd too, the HD bug is on during the breaks as well as the match. Also the 3 live bug is only on saorview. I have just compared them now.

I'd say the comercial companies would be unhappy about having that bug over their pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Picture quality on saorview is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CorkMartin

Picture quality in HD was only ok. Vast improvement on the SD but I thought it wasn't as sharp as Sky's HD channels.
    They mentioned 'HD' so many times during the broadcast, people will now realise it's not free.
    Nice looking studio set, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭deezell

Tv3 hd is only available on Sky hd package. This can only mean there will be no BAI content on Tv3 hd. My guess is Tv3 hd will be a different channel than Tv3 on Saorview, with content exclusive to sky hd customers. Read this. https://switcher.ie/broadband/news/tv3-hd-now-available-to-sky-hd-customers/ It looks like sky is using tv3 hd to lever uptake of sky hd in Ireland. Will some of the rugby World cup matches be on hd only?

It isn't exclusive to Sky HD, it's also on UPC. And it's an exact simulcast of TV3.

• Advertisement

It isn't exclusive to Sky HD, it's also on UPC. And it's an exact simulcast of TV3.
    For the moment, but if they wish to remain behind the sky hd paywall, they must forego BAI sourced programming. Rte2 hd and setanta hd are in this position, they can't be put on the hd sub.. There is no legal or statutory reason that tv3 hd has to be a copy of tv3 on Saorview as it is not broadcast on terrestrial. They can efectively use tv3 SD as a platform to promote their new commercial venture, which is Tv3 hd, a separate channel, with no obligations to the BAI.

reply from T3 received. without going into specifics their main argument is that TV3 SD fulfills the "must carry" obligation and TV3HD is not covered under this....

reply from T3 received. without going into specifics their main argument is that TV3 SD fulfills the "must carry" obligation and TV3HD is not covered under this....

That arguement didn't wash for RTE2 HD on Sky, Sky originally stuck it behind the HD Subscription, then had to remove it.

deezell wrote: »
    That arguement didn't wash for RTE2 HD on Sky, Sky originally stuck it behind the HD Subscription, then had to remove it.
    They (tv3) say I should take it up with Sky as its a matter for the platform providers what additional fees they charge for HD....that no other public service provider provides HD under the must carry..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

so now complain to BAI after the tv3 response

• Registered Users Posts: 3 madpaddie

They (tv3) say I should take it up with Sky as its a matter for the platform providers what additional fees they charge for HD....that no other public service provider provides HD under the must carry..

They ( Sky) wouldn't get away with a stunt like that in the UK by putting HD terrestrial channels in HD behind a pay wall, there would be an outcry. They treat Irish subscribers like mugs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is the UK Channel 5 HD not behind a pay wall?

Yes, it's not on Freeview at all and requires a Sky subscription on satellite (so it's not on the Freesat EPG).

AFAIK TV3 have no plans for TV3 HD to be anything other than a simulcast of TV3. I'd also point to Setanta Ireland where it's HD variant is only available on UPC (where every channel is behind a paywall) and the Sound and Vision programming is only available free to view in SD on satellite. If Setanta can get away with that, so will TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

BAI's response (not official complaint) to Sound and Vision funded programming behind the HD paywall - looks like the BAI are agreeing with TV3 that the SD channel covers them :(
    In answer to your continued concern we note that the requirement of the Sound & Vision Scheme is to support new television or radio programmes and ensure they are broadcast on what the Act deems an “eligible broadcaster”. The requirement in the Act is that we may only fund television programmes which are broadcast on a free television service, and that such service should be available for free to at least 90% of the population.

The fundamental requirement of the Act and the Scheme is that audiences are able to access funded programming for free – we are satisfied that this is the case. Transmission in other areas is not something we would necessarily adjudicate, so long as the broadcast is accessible to the audience per the Act. As an example, occasionally we will offer funding to a feature film or documentary which is shown in cinemas and also broadcast on television. The fact that a programme is distributed in cinemas at some point during its life cycle does not impact on our primary requirement – which is broadcast on an eligible channel. Similarly radio producers are free to put their programmes up for podcast provided they also fulfil the requirement of primary broadcast on an eligible station. I would apply the same assessment to your query on HD.

I noted in my original email to you that some applicants, regardless of their supporting broadcaster, indicate to us that they will film in HD. Currently this does not appear to be resulting in significantly higher costs per programmes, and adds to the Scheme as the archived programme will be in the highest resolution currently available to independent producers, broadcasters and archivists.

To follow up I have asked the BAI on what grounds were RTÉ were made to make RTÉ2HD broadcast in the clear? ... to be honest if they don't carry the same rules for TV3 and UTV then its unfair that RTÉ can't come to a deal with sky like them.

• Advertisement

The major difference with RTE2HD is that it is paid for by the licence fee and it would be unfair for a channel paid for by the licence fee to require an additional subscription on top of the basic.

The major difference with RTE2HD is that it is paid for by the licence fee and it would be unfair for a channel paid for by the licence fee to require an additional subscription on top of the basic.
    Yes but many programmes are fully paid by licence fee payers on TV3 too but apparently that's different in the eyes of the BAI..

The flaw in the BAI statement is that they admit that the " audience is able to access the program". Currently, TV3 are broadcasting one seventh of the information content in low SD in comparison to the actual HD source. The program the audience is accessing is not the full product. The BAI said it themselves, "...indicate to us that they will film in HD. Currently this does not appear to be resulting in significantly higher costs per programmes, and adds to the Scheme .....", so if the programs are funded in HD, the audience deserves to see them as they were created, not some lo res teaser designed to entice you to pay a subscription upgrade to see.

It reminds me of the OFCOM UK decision re Sky Sports 1 & 2 - Must carry is only SD for those. HD is not included so it appears that the BAI is taking the same stance.

The flaw in the BAI statement is that they admit that the " audience is able to access the program". Currently, TV3 are broadcasting one seventh of the information content in low SD in comparison to the actual HD source. The program the audience is accessing is not the full product. The BAI said it themselves, "...indicate to us that they will film in HD. Currently this does not appear to be resulting in significantly higher costs per programmes, and adds to the Scheme .....", so if the programs are funded in HD, the audience deserves to see them as they were created, not some lo res teaser designed to entice you to pay a subscription upgrade to see.
    That's the exact quesion I posed to them... I have to say the bit "we may only fund television programmes which are broadcast on a free television service" makes giving money to Setanta absolutely bewildering :eek:

irishfeen wrote: »
    That's the exact quesion I posed to them... I have to say the bit "we may only fund television programmes which are broadcast on a free television service" makes giving money to Setanta absolutely bewildering :eek:
    As Setanta have no FTA here, they have to provide you with a card for your tuner which gives FTA viewing for those programs, and the rest of their content, HD included, is available on a standard sky sub.

As Setanta have no FTA here, they have to provide you with a card for your tuner which gives FTA viewing for those programs, and the rest of their content, HD included, is available on a standard sky sub.
    Yeah but the actually wording of the act means even providing a card in on shaky ground - any encryption means its not a "free television service"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yeah but the actually wording of the act means even providing a card in on shaky ground - any encryption means its not a "free television service"
    Encryption on its own is not a paywall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-view

Has anyone lodged an official complaint with the BAI yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

For the moment, but if they wish to remain behind the sky hd paywall, they must forego BAI sourced programming.

I see this put forward many times and I must ask why? TV3 in SD is already behind the Sky paywall but doesn't forego any BAI sourced programming.

If I want to watch TV3 SD on satellite I can't, unless I pay Sky.

Advertisement