Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

icdg wrote: »
    I've already addressed that. Back on topic

Apologies, I had started typing my post before yours was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Carnacalla wrote: »
    A shortened version of our official name, commonly used to differentiate ourselves from the North.

I assume you know that too, just a little petty jab to try and strengthen your argument

Won't answer that as I'd be in trouble with the mods. But your wrong, it's not our official name! PM if you want to continue discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

How much did tv3 pay for the rugby world cup?. Their coverage is painful. even ignoring the picture quality on soarview. The commentators accent is weird, and the half time coverage so have has been, Half time whistle straight to ad, back to matt cooper for 30 seconds then a load of ads, back to analysis for a minute and now a load of ads again?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jesus this half time "analysis" is just ads. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Jesus this half time "analysis" is just ads. It's ridiculous.

TV3 are trying to make as much money as possible for this event.

Interesting to see "Ireland" play on the rugby field all the same ;)

Also time the ads TV3 can only sell 12 mins of ads per hour, TV3/3e promos don't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I just cannot watch TV3 with Conor McNamara commentating - he is just terrible with the accent he is putting on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

irishfeen wrote: »
    I just cannot watch TV3 with Conor McNamara commentating - he is just terrible with the accent he is putting on...

Must be his "rugby voice" - he speaks normally enough when doing soccer commentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

Rte radio stream from satellite with a one second extra delay plugged into surround sound, ITV hd for picture. Worked a treat.

Are TV3 using the Australian/New Zealand commentary feed? I would have thought the ITV commentators would have been used on the English world feed...

Are TV3 using the Australian/New Zealand commentary feed? I would have thought the ITV commentators would have been used on the English world feed...

I would have though they'd have their own commentary!

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I would have though they'd have their own commentary!
    TV3 don't have a rugby commentator - they borrowed Conor McNamara from the BBC.... whatever has happened to him I do not know, he is putting on some sort of weird rugby accent and he just sounds stupid.

For those with a HD subscription and want to watch ITV's coverage on ITV4HD... also under this frequency is ITV1 Granada HD

vetywz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

deezell wrote: »
    Rte radio stream from satellite with a one second extra delay plugged into surround sound, ITV hd for picture. Worked a treat.

Going to have to rig something like that up.

This TV coverage is becoming my greatest nightmare!
    I knew it would be bad when TV3 were awarded the rights, but not this bad.
    Talk about bring stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Option 1
    - No HD picture (unless you have more money than sense)
    - Loads of Adds
    - Really bad commentary (with exception of Stuart Barnes, who's not even Irish)
    - Bland studio analysis

Option 2
    - Patronising English commentary (was hoping they would have borrowed Mark Robson)
    - Worse co-commentator ever (sorry Geordan)

Little wonder I spent most of the time switching between both channels.
    Come back George Hook and RTE.....all is forgiven!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

I've watched quite a bit of Sky's rugby coverage so having Barnes and Harrison on board makes it more bearable.

For those with a HD subscription and want to watch ITV's coverage on ITV4HD... also under this frequency is ITV1 Granada]

ITV 4 SD, which is free to air for the secondary matches is still vastly superior in picture quality (720 pixels) to Tv3's main offering, at 544. I seen a clip of the Georgia match on the rte 9 news taken from 3e, cheeseus it was shocking, like an old over rented VHS video from the 80's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

surely TV3 a commercial station could have found a sponsor that would have helped pay the fee to get their HD channel on saorview ???

i thought the rugby WC was their big showcase for the HD channel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

... And don't forget, for Sky viewers, 3e is squashy-vision 4:3

It's not 4:3 on mine, it's perfectly widescreen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

philstar wrote: »
    surely TV3 a commercial station could have found a sponsor that would have helped pay the fee to get their HD channel on saorview ???

i thought the rugby WC was their big showcase for the HD channel

It is a showcase and they are making it a holy show.

It is a showcase and they are making it a holy show.
    The one good outcome of the Tv3 debacle, George Hook has to pay for his tickets into the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've not yet had a chance to properly watch the rugby on TV3 (was away), but have seen a few highlights here and there.

Are TV3 using their own commentators, or are they pulling from a common feed? Form the bits & pieces I saw it felt like it wasn't a TV3 specific commentator, might be wrong though.

Looks like TV3 are living up to their usual low standards though... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

dulpit wrote: »
    I've not yet had a chance to properly watch the rugby on TV3 (was away), but have seen a few highlights here and there.

Are TV3 using their own commentators, or are they pulling from a common feed? Form the bits & pieces I saw it felt like it wasn't a TV3 specific commentator, might be wrong though.

Looks like TV3 are living up to their usual low standards though... :rolleyes:

Some games seem to be irish, some english

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They have used their own team (Conor McNamara, Stuart Barnes, Liam Toland) for three games - England v Fiji, Ireland v Canada, and New Zealand v Argentina.

They are using the world feed (which is not the same as the ITV commentary) for other games. This is similar to what Setanta did last time round.

icdg wrote: »
    They are using the world feed (which is not the same as the ITV commentary) for other games. This is similar to what Setanta did last time round.

Good to see they're not even trying so...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be honest, if you're willing to switch to ITV you won't be worried about the nationality of the commentators - that said, Craig Doyle, Brian O'Driscoll, and Geordan Murphy are lending an Irish flavour to proceedings there.

For me the major annoyances about TV3 are the absolutely huge TV3HD DOG and the rather unorthodox way they are handling the commercial breaks at half and full time, which is driving me and anyone else looking at TV3 daft. Where possible I've been watching matches at home on ITV because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

... And don't forget, for Sky viewers, 3e is squashy-vision 4:3
    It's not 4:3 on mine, it's perfectly widescreen.

You must have your box and/or TV set to "widescreen always" mode . . .

-- Mine is set to display the output of the channel as it's set by the channel

(TV set to "auto" // digibox set to "auto")

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

dulpit wrote: »
    Good to see they're not even trying so...

I wouldn't be a fan of TV3 but why would there be an issue with TV3 using the commentary that is already there?

lertsnim wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of TV3 but why would there be an issue with TV3 using the commentary that is already there?

Personally I think its about jobs. One poster here said TV3 don't have rugby commentators, I'd question why TV3 can't find an Irish rugby commentator that has worked for TG4, RTE or BBC NI or even in a local radio station.

Then its about giving an Irish view on the sport. During the last Rugby World Cup TG4 provided deferred coverage "As Gealige" during the 2011 Tournament, how did they do it? And AFAIK S4C are providing coverage this year.

It ruins the whole vibe of the show. There's no interaction with the studio, there's no Irish perspective on things, it just feels wrong. And cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Conor McNamara has been criticised by many on this website so having their own commentator isn't necessarily going to be a good thing. The people in the studio have barely any time to do anything with all the ad breaks so their wouldn't be a whole lot of interaction.

• Advertisement

Conor McNamara has been criticised by many on this website so having their own commentator isn't necessarily going to be a good thing. The people in the studio have barely any time to do anything with all the ad breaks so their wouldn't be a whole lot of interaction.

Someone time the ads please. Interesting to see if they have more than 12 per hour. Also interest as ITV can show the same number of ad breaks.

Advertisement