Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A news channel? Really? The current news service is poor with content at the moment, what the feck would they fill a 24 hour service with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

Carnacalla wrote: »
    A news channel? Really? The current news service is poor with content at the moment, what the feck would they fill a 24 hour service with?
    lots of ads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

... and product placement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Carnacalla wrote: »

Some Commercial TV channels do this in Germany

I don't think it could work here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They would probably operate the news channel like in the states with local cable tv news and basically you would get say the 5.30pm live news and then they would just keep repeating this until 8pm news and then just keep repeating this all night etc.

Very cheap to do. Probably even worse than RTE News Now which is pretty woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Delta2113 wrote: »
    They would probably operate the news channel like in the states with local cable tv news and basically you would get say the 5.30pm live news and then they would just keep repeating this until 8pm news and then just keep repeating this all night etc.

Very cheap to do. Probably even worse than RTE News Now which is pretty woeful.

What prevents RTE NN from being anything else but woeful is the lack of funding because of the lack of adverts. This means a lack of journalists. RTE could do better by having slots for student journalists and other minority sources like a soapbox type slot, or open source discussion slots, etc. It just requires a little bit of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

... and product placement.

Your not allowed Product Placement in News and Current Affairs programmes. Your also not allow Sponsorship of news and current affairs programming on TV.

Most likely it with be a rolling news service with a live news presenter and weather but largely just repeats of the main TV news and entertainment shows.

E.g.
    3PM: Tonight with VB repeat
    4PM: Live Newscast with reports from 12:30 and Xpose.
    5PM: Xpose Live (with a repeat on TV3)
    6PM: Repeat 5:30
    6:30: Repeat Tonight
    7:30: Live Newscast with reports from 5:30
    8PM: 8 News

And so on. If anyone remembers Ireland Live News .net

Elmo wrote: »
    Your not allowed Product Placement in News and Current Affairs programmes. Your also not allow Sponsorship of news and current affairs programming on TV.

Didn't stop them having VB Tonight being sponsored by Bank of Scotland Ireland, and dropping an unfavourable news item involving BoS I, did it?

Didn't stop them having VB Tonight being sponsored by Bank of Scotland Ireland, and dropping an unfavourable news item involving BoS I, did it?

No but the BAI eventually did gently warn them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

They have suggested this before. It will be interesting to see if any new services appear from the channel considering that they had plans for a News Channel, a Classics channels and a Children's Channel.

They will really need to improve their news output, from a visual perspective and also an online perspective.

http://www.tv3.ie/news.php

They have news from Sept on that page, I though U2 were going to have another concert.

Midday still features as a link
    http://www.tv3.ie/news_sub_page.php?locID=1.2.893

http://www.businesspost.ie/tv3-plans-24-hour-news-channel/

Well spotted shortcomings

TV3 and UTV Ireland both need to offer some proper live news service across the Weekends and on Public Holidays too. Right now, I can only view last Friday nights TV3 News at 8 with Alan Cantwell via TV3.ie and this does not demonstrate a serious attitude to News in my view. In the UK even commercial broadcasters like itv & Channel 4 have news bulletins on Sat/Sun/Bank Holidays.

Website material:
    The programme "MidWeek" has a link that seems to indicate it is still currently on TV3.ie long after the show was axed from our tv screens. To find it, just click on the "News" link and Midweek will be over on the right-hand-side with stories right up to November 2013!

http://www.tv3.ie/news_sub_page.php?locID=1.2.893

However to be fair; I have come across similar errors by RTÉ such as "Morning Edition" with Keelin Shanley. I just took a look and it's still listed as the first programme if you go to RTÉ.ie and place your mouse over "TV Programmes" heading and while on this page if you look under the sub-heading for "News" programming you will see Morning Edition is listed first. Meanwhile over on RTÉ 2 we should apparently still have "News on Two" but I think that was axed when RTÉ TWO was relaunched as RTÉ 2 some time back! I know RTÉ has a live 11:00pm news bulletin Mon-Fri on RTÉ News Now while RTÉ News still has a late bulletin that goes out only on Friday nights following The Late Late Show on RTÉ One television.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/news.html
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/morningedition.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Joo0 wrote: »
    Tv3 are looking at launching 24 hour news service as well as other new channels
    [pic][pic]

Those report untrue, according to Virgin Media CEO Tony Hanaway.

http://m.independent.ie/business/technology/news/the-cable-broadband-boss-whos-betting-big-on-ireland-incs-economic-recovery-34402446.html

Basically the hallmarks of TV3 announcements under DH and David McRedmond will be given short thrift. I wonder if these guys get a bollicking I know if someone in a lower position in TV3 had said that they plan a News channel they be given the boot, particularly when it comes to a plc like UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think they need to stabilize their 2 channels first of all before they go adding new channels.

3e still doesn't know what target market to chase. They really need to get rid of the repeats during the dayime of ireland:AM, Midday etc.. There's TV3+1 to accommodate the Ireland:AM repeat. Feel it's really lazy scheduling and probably highlights the lack of programmes and money that has been invested into 3e. I think since they've bought over from Channel 6, they've made less homegrown shows for the channel than there is fingers on one hand. Fyi, Uploaded, Newsb@g and er... And they've had the channel nearly 8 years now.

If they want to go down the kids channel route, they should start trialling it on 3e between 6am-2pm. If successful, it can branch out then. 4Music started out on E4 for a year or so before it became a channel on its own.

Pat Kenny signed up for TV3 to host the first leaders debate on Thursday with Collette Fitzpatrick. Also have Ivan Yates present the Tonight show after it.

Wonder will this open a few doors for Pat Kenny with TV3.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Pat Kenny signed up for TV3 to host the first leaders debate on Thursday with Collette Fitzpatrick. Also have Ivan Yates present the Tonight show after it.

Wonder will this open a few doors for Pat Kenny with TV3.

Interesting to see if it open up more doors for Newstalk and TV3. Interesting to see how it will be presented. Will it be like the US debates but with a 2 person panel?

Good opportunity for TV3 to do up their News studio!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The TV3 studio now rebranded the "Sony HD Virgin Media TV3 Studio". Terrible lighting problems in the post debate show (in their old studio) with Ivan Yates now.

icdg wrote: »
    The TV3 studio now rebranded the "Sony HD Virgin Media TV3 Studio". Terrible lighting problems in the post debate show (in their old studio) with Ivan Yates now.

No I think it is just Virgin media TV3 HD studio.

https://twitter.com/sharon_mchugh/status/697873386014425088

Though the name of the studio is not mentioned.

Irish Mirror reporting that RTÉ are planning to take Big Brother from TV3, reading it the source seems to be from TV3?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/film-and-tv/rte-in-talks-makers-big-7367493

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You know TV is getting low when RTE starts stealing the ****e from TV3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Dear god, obviously RTÉ have just giving up on anything outside RTÉ1.

Unless they considering making an Irish version but I highly doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Irish Mirror reporting that RTÉ are planning to take Big Brother from TV3, reading it the source seems to be from TV3?

OMG Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I thought RTE was going to be sticking with more sensible high brow programming; but since this show could be on RTE2 in the near future; you couldn't have thought that their standards could have gone any lower for this thrash with the payment of our TV Licence Fee.

Big Brother = Rubbish TV.

I think the source is from TV3 it puts TV3s coverage of big bro in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Seems likely!

Are they threatening to sue RTE over it? Or will they complain to BAI over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Is it any wonder people avoid paying their tv license, available for free on sat on ch5 and thats the only place it should be complete tripe tv....

Are they threatening to sue RTE over it? Or will they complain to BAI over it?

No because it's not happening. IMO

They might be having conversations with Endemol regarding other TV projects. Can't see RTE2 ever having big brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Wasn't there talk of an Irish Big Brother at one point on RTÉ? Could have swore I remember reading that years ago when the show was still very popular on Channel 4.

Advertisement