Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    They won't even be showing the final, unless Setanta have done some sub-licensing deal with them that I missed. Setanta won exclusive rights to the Europa League.

(It may be the FA Cup you are thinking of, where TV3 have rights to the final only).

They announced at their autumn launch that they have the Europa league final and the FA Cup Final. Although if there are no English teams in the final, I'd say it'll be on 3e. It sometimes clashes with Britain's Got Talent too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It was on 3e last year, though had been on TV3 previously. I must say that if they've done a deal with Setanta they've been very quite about it - it didn't even appear in TV3's website story about the Autumn launch, and normally they shout very loudly about such things.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/177178/TV3-reveals-details-of-Autumn-Programming

It was on 3e last year, though had been on TV3 previously. I must say that if they've done a deal with Setanta they've been very quite about it - it didn't even appear in TV3's website story about the Autumn launch, and normally they shout very loudly about such things.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/177178/TV3-reveals-details-of-Autumn-Programming

They probably weren't doing much shouting about it as it was just the one match I guess.

ujbmsbH.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ the constant repeating of films 4 or 5 times in a month is very irritating.

Lake view terrace on tonight again..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

It's been on 3 times in the past week, I'm sure. I could have swore I have seen it 3 times when channel hopping. They are certainly getting their money's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think they must only have a catalogue of about 10 films.
    It's not just Lake view terrace (which I would say has easily been on 10 times across both channels over the last few months)
    Lethal weapon 4, Rush Hour and a few others are getting very regular prime time run outs.

pad e wrote: »
    It's been on 3 times in the past week, I'm sure. I could have swore I have seen it 3 times when channel hopping. They are certainly getting their money's worth.

The thing is it was advertised more than any other programme?? Even after the third/fourth showing. Every ad break on 3E and tv3 seemed to slot it in. It was bizarre. No problem with repeating films but 3 pr 4 times in a couple of months is bizarre.

Is it that you earn the rights to show a film for a certain period? And tv3 had a two month usage and could play it anytime? That's the only explanation of it I can see!

It's an ok film but not something anyone would watch a second time. There doesn't seem to be much creative stance in the station at all. Look at TG4. Making some shows like o Tholg go Tholg, Psisean Fai sean, Pioc de Ride. Simple but original and creative cheap to produce formats.

TV3 just get all their inspiration from ITV. Ireland AM needs a drastic reformat and new presenters, that midday show is a disease, far too much Judge Judy and Jeremy Kyle.

Only thing I really enjoy I'd The Chase, the Champions League (the matches, not the punditry!!), Family Guy, the odd Vincent Brown, the odd film and Graham Norton (although they are 99% repeats) . They really need to invest in a new series. Something striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The thing is it was advertised more than any other programme?? Even after the third/fourth showing. Every ad break on 3E and tv3 seemed to slot it in. It was bizarre. No problem with repeating films but 3 pr 4 times in a couple of months is bizarre.

Is it that you earn the rights to show a film for a certain period? And tv3 had a two month usage and could play it anytime? That's the only explanation of it I can see!

It's an ok film but not something anyone would watch a second time. There doesn't seem to be much creative stance in the station at all. Look at TG4. Making some shows like o Tholg go Tholg, Psisean Fai sean, Pioc de Ride. Simple but original and creative cheap to produce formats.

TV3 just get all their inspiration from ITV. Ireland AM needs a drastic reformat and new presenters, that midday show is a disease, far too much Judge Judy and Jeremy Kyle.

Only thing I really enjoy I'd The Chase, the Champions League (the matches, not the punditry!!), Family Guy, the odd Vincent Brown, the odd film and Graham Norton (although they are 99% repeats) . They really need to invest in a new series. Something striking.

They did it's called Red Rock and it's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Graham Norton is 100% repeats they don't hold the rights to new episodes.

It's not bad. It's problem are the other shows on TV3.

• Advertisement

They done well with RR. I wouldnt follow but ive seen some rpisodes and reviews and its well regarded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mention of the fact TV3 have Euro 2016 matches tonight....while watching a hideous SD blur.....

MOD: Post deleted due to reference to named individual

OK, no personal attacks please. They aren't here (as far as we know) to defend themselves.

OK, no personal attacks please. They aren't here (as far as we know) to defend themselves.

Fair enough. I won't name anyone again I find annoying! But come on there are FAR FAR worse opinions of people on threads!!! In fact the particular guy makes a living out of insulting people who don't have a clue who he knows!

There's also no on thread discussion of moderation. Can we get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

When do TV3's rights to ITV network programmes not produced by ITV Studios run out, e.g. X-Factor?

When do TV3's rights to ITV network programmes not produced by ITV Studios run out, e.g. X-Factor?

UTV ireland.........

Oops sorry misread that. I reckon x factor will be gone after this coming year regardless.

Turns out Grisham was fired, he didn't quit btw

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

The Commitments is in 4:3 on TV3 HD on Virgin.

UTV ireland.........

Oops sorry misread that. I reckon x factor will be gone after this coming year regardless.

Turns out Grisham was fired, he didn't quit btw

AFAIK the deal was until 2017, so 2 more seasons with The Voice UK starting on ITV in 2017.

Sorry wiki says 2016

• Advertisement

Seems TV3 have quietly picked up the rights to FIA Formula E, at the somewhat odd point of half way through the season. Not sure if they (or the series in general) will get much interest though, which is probably why it's being stuck on 3e.

Seems TV3 have quietly picked up the rights to FIA Formula E, at the somewhat odd point of half way through the season. Not sure if they (or the series in general) will get much interest though, which is probably why it's being stuck on 3e.

Such an odd purchase. Never even heard of the sport. Is there even any Irish drivers in it?

Nope, no-one. There are a handful of ex-Formula One drivers in it but the majority wouldn't be known other than by ardent Motorsport fans. It's a really odd purchase, the US GP (or "ePrix" as they like to dub it) is on late on Saturday night. I can only think that they were given the rights for little or nothing.

Nope, no-one. There are a handful of ex-Formula One drivers in it but the majority wouldn't be known other than by ardent Motorsport fans. It's a really odd purchase, the US GP (or "ePrix" as they like to dub it) is on late on Saturday night. I can only think that they were given the rights for little or nothing.

Nothing on tv3s website or formula E's

Wonder if it is content provided by Virgin?

Also 3e is 10 years old today.

I wouldn't think so, ITV hold the UK rights, with (in an odd reversal) BT having highlights.

Ah it is live coverage in all from the US - hence why it's stuck on 11.30pm.

Good spot Elmo, Channel 6's schedule this time 10 years ago:
    20:00 Take Six
    20:30 The US Office
    21:00 House
    22:00 Film!
    00:00-02:00 Night Shift

The next day had Popscene, Dawson's Creek, Buffy, Charmed, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Law And Order and Star Trek: TNG.

3e actually showed the last series of House at 1pm a few weeks ago for the first time. Surely 3e will have to get some sort of makeover. They've been using the same 3 or 4 idents since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

I think calling it Channel 6 again would be a good start. Ever since it became 3e the schedule has become incredibly stale and repetitive. It had a lot more varies programmes before it became part of the TV3 group.

I rarely watch the thing now - last time was during the Rugby World Cup. It's got little or nothing that's not on elsewhere and has one of the worst picture quality of any channel on Sky to boot.

It really could do with a new look. One was allegedly on the way two years ago but it never happened.

Their daytime consists of 2 repeats of Xpose, 3 episodes of Tipping Point, 3 hours of a repeat of Ireland AM, along with the day before's Midday and 7 O'Clock Show.

The repeat on 3e of Ireland AM along with Sat:AM & Sun:AM, really annoys me. Why can't somebody take on the role of editing the 3 hours down to at least one hour. Is there really a need to have items like traffic updates 3 hours later? Plus Ireland:AM is already being shown on TV3+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

iseegirls wrote: »
    Why can't somebody take on the role of editing the 3 hours down to at least one hour.

Because it's easier (i.e. cheaper) for them to just replay the whole thing. They don't care.

Plus a "best of" edited version would surely only be a few minutes long! :)

Advertisement