Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

JDxtra wrote: »
    Because it's easier (i.e. cheaper) for them to just replay the whole thing. They don't care.

Plus a "best of" edited version would surely only be a few minutes long! :)

Do they still do a best of Ireland AM at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    Do they still do a best of Ireland AM at the weekend?

Yes it's on after 1am on a Saturday and Sunday night.

There was a time this 'Best of' was shown 6 times over two days on 3e and TV3. At least it's been reduced to two times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

pad e wrote: »

It's a good show/soap. I don't think anyone is denying this, the problem for the show as far as viewing figures are concerned is that it doesn't have a strong schedule surrounding it. I think it getting on BBC ONE daytime might boost the show here in Ireland. interesting to see if the boost from the BBC will result in TV3 either co-producing it with the BBC for a 5 day week or an increase in audience over all for the channel.

• Advertisement

interesting to see if the boost from the BBC will result in TV3 either co-producing it with the BBC for a 5 day week or an increase in audience over all for the channel.

I'd hate to see it going to a 5 day week soap. A soap's quality goes down hill when the episode numbers go up during the week. Their main aim is to get episodes going through the summer - and have one off hourlong episodes after a big event - like The X Factor final, Euro 2016 matches or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Although, that was just the sale to BBC Worldwide they mention. A decision hadn't been made on when or where the show would end up. This is confirming that it getting a relatively big slot on Daytime on BBC 1 so was worthy of posting.

pad e wrote: »
    Although, that was just the sale to BBC Worldwide they mention. A decision hadn't been made on when or where the show would end up. This is confirming that it getting a relatively big slot on Daytime on BBC 1 so was worthy of posting.

BBC WW deal is for distribution not sure how that fits with BBC1 buying rights from All3Medi.

BBC WW deal is for distribution not sure how that fits with BBC1 buying rights from All3Medi.

All3Media International is a Liberty Global/Discovery company, they're the distributor for Red Rock so not surprising to see these deals done via a sister company. From what I read BBC purchased the series (80 episodes for €500,000) but no mention of BBC Worldwide in any of the recent press official releases, it only appears in the media reports when the story broke in the press late Feb/early March. Maybe the deal includes distribution via the BBC Worldwide channels.
    BBC Daytime has acquired award-winning Irish drama Red Rock from All3Media International.
    Stephen Driscoll, the executive VP of media at all3media international, said: “We are very proud to see Red Rock secure a home on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/red-rock
    BBC Daytime has acquired award-winning Irish drama Red Rock from All3Media International.
    It is uncertain which UK station Red Rock will feature on as of yet, but insiders have hinted that it might be a prominent slot such as BBC Worldwide, which would mean international success.

• Advertisement

I am not sure if it was the Sunday Times that Mentioned BBC WW but to me it sounded like a distribution deal worth 500,000.

Though now it sounds like the deal is one in the same.

Also according to the BBC they are showing hour long episodes, not sure if it is 80 altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

500,000? they can start to broadcast in HD for the Euros! (yeah right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

€6250 per episode. Woo.

Still, another shouty soap for the Eastenders market. They'll lap it up.

I am not sure if it was the Sunday Times that Mentioned BBC WW but to me it sounded like a distribution deal worth 500,000.

Though now it sounds like the deal is one in the same.

Also according to the BBC they are showing hour long episodes, not sure if it is 80 altogether.

Reported to have purchased 40 x 1hr episodes (80 x 30min).

Its the same deal that was reported in the Sunday Times at the end of Feb and everywhere else the following days. Officially announced at the annual MIPTV event at Cannes with no reference to BBC Worldwide.

https://www.c21media.net/bbc-amazon-climb-aboard-red-rock/

The Cush wrote: »
    Reported to have purchased 40 x 1hr episodes (80 x 30min).

Its the same deal that was reported in the Sunday Times at the end of Feb and everywhere else the following days. Officially announced at the annual MIPTV event at Cannes with no reference to BBC Worldwide.

https://www.c21media.net/bbc-amazon-climb-aboard-red-rock/

Does that mean you are speculating they will show two episodes per day??

i dont think it would work editing it into an hour long episode tbh. each episode is set over a day and attaching two together, you never see that soapwise

Does that mean you are speculating they will show two episodes per day??

I've seen it reported in a few media reports as 40x60min episodes, incl the BBC press release

Produced by Element Pictures and Company Pictures, the 40x60 series will broadcast daily later in the year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/red-rock

Interesting to see so few news articles on TV3 this year in comparison to last year. TV3 nearly had a new story out everyday last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Interesting to see so few news articles on TV3 this year in comparison to last year. TV3 nearly had a new story out everyday last year.

TV3 is no longer up for sale....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

TV3 showed the first series of "Mr Selfridge" (which I've never watched) but it didn't show the second. UTV Ireland showed the third series at the same time as the ITV Network. That meant that Saorview and Sky viewers missed out on the second series and would have had to get the DVD to be able to watch it.

I'm not interested in "Mr Selfridge" but I'd say that some viewers in the Republic were annoyed that TV3 didn't show the second series? Why didn't TV3 show the second series even though it had shown the first?

TV3 showed the first series of "Mr Selfridge" (which I've never watched) but it didn't show the second. UTV Ireland showed the third series at the same time as the ITV Network. That meant that Saorview and Sky viewers missed out on the second series and would have had to get the DVD to be able to watch it.

I'm not interested in "Mr Selfridge" but I'd say that some viewers in the Republic were annoyed that TV3 didn't show the second series? Why didn't TV3 show the second series even though it had shown the first?

Probably because ITV are the commisioners and UTV Ireland was set up and the majority of ITV shows that TV3 used to have (a lot) were lost. TV3 had a partnership agreement with ITV with which they could procure the rights for programmes for a much cheaper cost but that was lost when ITV set up their own station in the Republic.
    I am not sure if UTV Ireland show it.

• Advertisement

Probably because ITV are the commisioners and UTV Ireland was set up and the majority of ITV shows that TV3 used to have (a lot) were lost. TV3 had a partnership agreement with ITV with which they could procure the rights for programmes for a much cheaper cost but that was lost when ITV set up their own station in the Republic.
    I am not sure if UTV Ireland show it.

UTV Ireland hadn't started broadcasting when the second series was broadcast by the ITV network.

UTV Ireland hadn't started broadcasting when the second series was broadcast by the ITV network.

In fairness how are TV3 supposed to cover all their multiple repeats if they are purchasing other programmes!
    What drew your attention to this if you dont even watch the programme anyway!!

In fairness how are TV3 supposed to cover all their multiple repeats if they are purchasing other programmes!
    That doesn't make sense to me.
    What drew your attention to this if you dont even watch the programme anyway!!
    It doesn't affect me personally, given that I don't watch it. I'm just saying that people who did watch it might be annoyed. I raised the issue with regard to consistency, i.e. why not show the second series if you've shown the first when no other broadcaster has got the rights to it, i.e. UTV Ireland wasn't broadcasting when the ITV network broadcast the second series.

Just because I never watched the show it doesn't mean I'm prohibited from raising the issue.

It was a joke mate related to the fact that TV3/ 3E repeat their programmes multiple times. Pretty simple!!

For example Gran Torino was on tonight and this is the fourth or fifth showing of it in the last 8 weeks.

It doesn't affect me personally, given that I don't watch it. I'm just saying that people who did watch it might be annoyed. I raised the issue with regard to consistency, i.e. why not show the second series if you've shown the first when no other broadcaster has got the rights to it, i.e. UTV Ireland wasn't broadcasting when the ITV network broadcast the second series.

Just because I never watched the show it doesn't mean I'm prohibited from raising the issue.

I didn't say you weren't!! I just wondered what drew your attention to it! Jeez.

I didn't say you weren't!! I just wondered what drew your attention to it! Jeez.
    Fair enough. I remember from reading TV listings and seeing trailers at the time.

It was a joke mate related to the fact that TV3/ 3E repeat their programmes multiple times. Pretty simple!!
    Sometimes, I'm slow at picking up on jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And people would have complained if UTV Ireland played catch up and showed older episodes. They can't win.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Its very hard to convey tone through the medium of text only. Emoticons can partially, but only paritially, address this. That said the poster didn't even bother to use these.

When posters are intending to "joke" I'd ask them to read their post and see how the text, standing on its own, looks to other people who have no awareness of the other persons state of mind. They may find that what they think is a joke looks to other people like something different.

Thanks

• Advertisement

The likely main reason it didn't air any other seasons was due to the ratings being bad. Even looking at the ratings that UTV Ireland got recently - on around 60,000 for a Friday slot that is directly after Corrie which would get 300k

TV3 also decreased the amount of dramas they showed from the ITV Studios catalogue as the years went by. Similar to choosing packages on a Sky subscription, looks like they went for the 'entertainment' package - getting most of the quiz and game shows. There was a time that Cold Feet, Heartbeat, Bad Girls, Footballers Wives, A Touch Of Frost, Lewis, The Royal were main programmes on TV3. Now maybe that's ITV Studios fault - have they produced any decent dramas since that would be good for TV3 at the time.

There is now rarely any dramas on TV3. They focus more on one off documentaries regarding crime or the latest event in the news, Channel 5 factual series about being crippled with too many kids or being fat, and re-re-reruns of films shown weeks previously.

Advertisement