Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

icdg wrote: »
    Its very hard to convey tone through the medium of text only. Emoticons can partially, but only paritially, address this. That said the poster didn't even bother to use these.

When posters are intending to "joke" I'd ask them to read their post and see how the text, standing on its own, looks to other people who have no awareness of the other persons state of mind. They may find that what they think is a joke looks to other people like something different.

Thanks

Off topic but i needed to say this!

Oh come on!! Surely anyone could read my post about the repeats and 99% would be sure to interpret that I was juzt having a little humorous dig at TV3 for all their repeat showings!!
    It wasnt meant to be this hilarious joke! Anyway when telling something humotouss a joke isnt to be forced on someone it is a statement to be thrown out and for others to interpret it as a joke!
    You have to be xareful with text of course because a sarcastic remark may offend if not clear enough, fo example, but I honestly cant see how my post was anything but a little humorous messing!

I assume this is what you are referring to!! It doesnt read ANY other way! I even put three exclamation marks to kind of highlight this!

The poster couldnt use emoticons because the poster is on a phone.

In fairness how are TV3 supposed to cover all their multiple repeats if they are purchasing other programmes! !!

DISCLAIMER : This was a little humourous jib at FC re their repeat policy. Nothing more, nothing less! I cannot use emoticons because of my phone but i dont think i needed to anyway!
    !!

There.: Job done.

RTE are guilty of dropping imported series also. The Walking Dead is a prime example.
    Pilot seasons are usually relatively a lot cheaper to purchase but if the show proves popular, like M.S. a d TWD did, it will be tendered at a higher price. TV3 probably did their maths re trnder price, audience and potential advertising revenue and figured it wasnt feesible to pay the higher tender price for it.
    Also ITV would have planbed the programming scheduling of their new Irish station a year or two in advance and felt that a drama such as MS would fit in nicely. It ran the risk of many people having seen it already on ITV in advance but such risk was low as it cost UTV Ireland nothing to purchase it.
    Therefore they may not have even given TV3 the opportunity to purchase it.

RTE have recently lost the rights to the 6 Nations despite showing it for decades. Its just the nature of tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

There.: Job done.
    In post 2163, you quoted a post in which you said:
    This was a little humourous jib at FC re their repeat policy.

What is "FC" a reference to?

In post 2163, you quoted a post in which you said:

What is "FC" a reference to?

sorry! I meant TV3, I must have been slagging Fair City on another thread at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Talking Bread take a warning for on thread discussion of moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ will always show programmes if they buy them. Even if it is the early hours. If RTÉ lost The Walking Dead its down to not buying the series or loosing the series to a competitor, or they might be only able to show it at a later date than usual.

I though TV3 aired the 2nd Season of Mr. Selfridge, it wasn't as big a success as Downton and TV3 didn't show that as ITV. AFAIK the 1st season of that was a good few weeks later. As I said TV3 always considered itself more yuff than mainstream and because of this have failed to pick up a mainstream audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Who would want to watch.Mr Selfridge?
    Was it actually commissioned by Selfridges because that the only way I could see a station giving that kind of aimless drivel airtime.

So 7 O'Clock show is getting a make over and Lucy is getting her own entertainment show, to be announced in a few weeks time. According to Lucy.

Just saw some of Daily Mails report suggesting that TV3 are not going ahead with some of the shows they announced in September! I don't know how Gogglebox is going to work, some how I see a group of Irish people criticizing English TV!

Never read the Irish Daily Mail but why isn't it online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    Just saw some of Daily Mails report suggesting that TV3 are not going ahead with some of the shows they announced in September! I don't know how Gogglebox is going to work, some how I see a group of Irish people criticizing English TV!

Think it's mostly to do with Lynda McQuaid coming and going so quickly last year. It doesn't seem there was a direct replacement for her. Ben Frow and Jeff Ford lasted a lot longer, and they brought it a lot more programming during their time.

Since the RWC, seems like most of homegrown TV3's shows have dried up.
    Gogglebox was actually announced about 2 years ago (http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tv3-unveil-details-of-new-soap-red-rock-and-irish-gogglebox-in-midseason-update-30253135.html) - it will never take off. Looking at that press release too - Keith Barry's second series never came, and 24 Hour Shelter never arrived either.

Another press release from September: (http://www.thejournal.ie/tv3-autumn-schedule-2015-2305943-Sep2015/) Out of the seven mentioned - only one has been shown - and that was 4 episodes of Disclosure

iseegirls wrote: »
    Think it's mostly to do with Lynda McQuaid coming and going so quickly last year. It doesn't seem there was a direct replacement for her. Ben Frow and Jeff Ford lasted a lot longer, and they brought it a lot more programming during their time.

Is she actually gone? After the few articles that reported that she left I heard nothing more, only another article saying "The current" head of content, suggesting that she remained on? Strange.

In fairness to Lynda, if she has gone, she couldn't really do much and both Ben and Jeff had a history of announcing programmes that were never going to happen, much of the last announcement was from Jeff Ford in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Switched over to TV3 last night after 11. Switched it off as quick more. Once more the most brutal Irish boyfolk country music was on. What the hell is this about? The media have totally lost the plot with all the time given to this drivel. Surely they could put something better on for a bank holiday? No wonder I never watch much live TV these days.

Article in Sunday Times indicating TV3 intend to refit their original studio for HD and return programmes that don't need the large space back there. They also intend to introduce kids shows to 3e, though I'm not sure that's a market worth getting involved in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They also intend to introduce kids shows to 3e, though I'm not sure that's a market worth getting involved in.

Would they be allowed advertising on the kids programmes? Or is that just a way for the BAI to get at RTE?

Would they be allowed advertising on the kids programmes? Or is that just a way for the BAI to get at RTE?

Nothing stopping RTÉ advertising during RTÉjr on RTÉ2 as it is an internal RTÉ policy introduced in the mid-1990s, TRTÉ could advertise during programmes but that's also an internal RTÉ policy not to have adverts during half hour shows aimed at 8 - 12 year olds.

RTÉjr and RTÉ News Now are the only channels not allowed to have advertising.

At least originally, it was a policy RTE voluntarily brought in.

I can't see them going into the area if they can't advertise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nothing stopping RTÉ advertising during RTÉjr on RTÉ2 as it is an internal RTÉ policy introduced in the mid-1990s, TRTÉ could advertise during programmes but that's also an internal RTÉ policy not to have adverts during half hour shows aimed at 8 - 12 year olds.

RTÉjr and RTÉ News Now are the only channels not allowed to have advertising.

RTE Jr (with RTE 1+1) and RTE NN are 50% of RTE's TV broadcasting, and it is effectively not getting any advertising revenue from that 50%. (I doubt that they get anything from the RTE 1+1 broadcasting). They should be released from that non-nonsensical regime. RTE NN should become a full news service with its own journos and RTE 1+1 should become a full channel along the lines proposed.

They also intend to introduce kids shows to 3e, though I'm not sure that's a market worth getting involved in.

Beats prob most of whats there are the moment. Any idea of when it could start?
    I would rather they went down the teeny shows than the Peppa Pig stuff.

Beats prob most of whats there are the moment. Any idea of when it could start?
    I would rather they went down the teeny shows than the Peppa Pig stuff.

Most likely they will go after older kids market, but as ICDG suggests is there a market for that?

If 3e are to venture into Kids TV it will need a make over.

I assume they plan to split the channel.

Any news of 3e HD and 3e +1 in that article.

I imagine in 2 weeks the head of Virgin Media Ireland will state that it won't happen.

Also I assume that TV3 will begin to use Virgin Media On-Demand content.

• Advertisement

If 3e are to venture into Kids TV it will need a make over.

I assume they plan to split the channel.

Wonder will it start in time for the summer holidays - probably the best time to start it.
    Could follow a schedule like below, although Malcolm and Modern family haven't been shown in about 2 years on the channel:
    6am Xpose
    7 Other Teen Shows
    10 Malcolm
    11 Modern Family
    12 Glee
    1 The Middle
    2 Uploaded
    3 Other Teen Shows
    6 Tipping Point
    7 CSI/CSI Miami
    8 Bondi Rescue
    9 Film
    11 Big Brothers BOTS
    12 Family Guy / American Dad

After the summer, fill up the midday shows with Steve Wilkos etc.

There are so many programmes they can show - and plenty of older classic shows. Though knowing that 3e is run on a shoestring, I'd expect 10 episodes of Uploaded to be repeated constantly daily. :/

Modern Family is my one and only reason to watch Sky One these days, but I've never seen it anywhere else, let alone 3e. If they did get I'd hope it be treated better than a mid-morning slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

3e have definitely shown Modern Family before.

lertsnim wrote: »
    3e have definitely shown Modern Family before.

I think Modern Family was part of the deal that Sky struck for exclusive rights. I don't remember it being on 3e OR tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This TV3 press release says Modern Family was shown on 3e. I'm not imagining it.

https://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=2&view_pr=304

Job vacancy on TV3.ie:

With the launch of a Kids Slot, 3e has a vacancy for an on screen Continuity Announcer within the Programming Department.
    This position is a part-time position (20 hours per week) and may include weekend work. Initially this is a one year contract.

So it looks like the Kids Slot is going ahead.

Modern Family was on TV3 around the same time Sky One started showing it. They showed 3 or 4 series, and was repeated on 3e a few times. They've stated twice in autumn launches that it's returning with a new series, but nothing since.

It is on season seven now, so no wonder, it must be a few years since it was on 3e then.

Modern Family was on TV3 around the same time Sky One started showing it. They showed 3 or 4 series, and was repeated on 3e a few times. They've stated twice in autumn launches that it's returning with a new series, but nothing since.

I don't know if TV3 have said over that 4 years that certain shows would air and then they don't how can you be sure the kids slot will happen?

I don't know if TV3 have said over that 4 years that certain shows would air and then they don't how can you be sure the kids slot will happen?

There is a job vacancy on the tv3 website to find the face of the kids slot on 3e, so looks like its going ahead. So I presume they already have tied up deals for kids shows.

• Advertisement

There is a job vacancy on the tv3 website to find the face of the kids slot on 3e, so looks like its going ahead. So I presume they already have tied up deals for kids shows.

As you point out they bought the rights to Modern Family and had thought about producing blind date. :being sarcastic and cynical:

Advertisement