Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Why are so few programmes marked as actually being in HD via Sky's epg on TV3HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Why are so few programmes marked as actually being in HD via Sky's epg on TV3HD?
    That's Because Sky and TV3 are poo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'd hope the standard of debate might be better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    As you point out they bought the rights to Modern Family and had thought about producing blind date. :being sarcastic and cynical:

Both of those announcements came through their Autumn launches - which are launches that are sometimes used to exaggerate most shows they have coming, and shows that haven't even been produced yet. Unsure if RTE do it as well with their launches, but sometimes I feel TV3 add it in make their launch look better than what it is.

However, I guess with the kids TV on 3e being announced - it's not really something that was preached about through media releases. Only Sunday times picked it up, and maybe that was through seeing the job vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

lgs 4 wrote: »
    That's Because Sky and TV3 are poo

:rolleyes:

Who is responsible for updating EPG though? Is it TV3 or Sky or both?

Call me naive, but I always assumed if a programme wasn't highlighted as being in HD it wasn't - am I wrong on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

iseegirls wrote: »
    Both of those announcements came through their Autumn launches - which are launches that are sometimes used to exaggerate most shows they have coming, and shows that haven't even been produced yet. Unsure if RTE do it as well with their launches, but sometimes I feel TV3 add it in make their launch look better than what it is.

However, I guess with the kids TV on 3e being announced - it's not really something that was preached about through media releases. Only Sunday times picked it up, and maybe that was through seeing the job vacancy.

It's going to be a weird situation where rte 2 broadcast kids programmes but don't want to and their kids channel broadcasts programmes but can't take adverts now 3e entering the market and will be allowed to have advertisements

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It's going to be a weird situation where rte 2 broadcast kids programmes but don't want to and their kids channel broadcasts programmes but can't take adverts now 3e entering the market and will be allowed to have advertisements

What is weird about that? TV3 have a history of bending the rules to suit themselves and being backed by the BAI - such as extra advertising time per hour, while RTE are hit at every opportunity.

The politicos and Dept of Communications do not like RTE at all and do them down at every opportunity. You would think it was operated by a hostile foreign occupying power.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Advertising during Kids programming is allowed. RTÉ took the decision in the mid-90s not to carry ads during the 0-6 block of programmes, their proposal for RTÉjr stipulate that they would not carry ads and Minister Carey agreed.

RTÉ2 does not want to drop all Kids programming just RTÉjr. TRTÉ will remain, with RTÉjr spots being replaced by Soaps etc perhaps Two Tube.

Minister Rabbitte could have suggested and required RTÉ do replace RTÉjr with a documentary strand, in the same way Carey put a strangle hold on RTÉ News Now not carrying ads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Advertising during Kids programming is allowed. RTÉ took the decision in the mid-90s not to carry ads during the 0-6 block of programmes, their proposal for RTÉjr stipulate that they would not carry ads and Minister Carey agreed.

RTÉ2 does not want to drop all Kids programming just RTÉjr. TRTÉ will remain, with RTÉjr spots being replaced by Soaps etc perhaps Two Tube.

Minister Rabbitte could have suggested and required RTÉ do replace RTÉjr with a documentary strand, in the same way Carey put a strangle hold on RTÉ News Now not carrying ads.

RTE broadcast on 4 channels on Saorview and carry the cost of €8m doing so, while only carrying ads on 2 of them. (I do not count the +1 channel as it has virtually no audience). It is forced to have no ads on RTE NN, and does not carry ads on RTE Jr (whether by policy or by edict I do not know). It also carries little ads on RTE 2 when showing children's programmes.

TV3, TG4 and UTVi only pay €4m for their transmissions on Saorview (4 channels), so there is something wrong there. The fact they are allowed to only broadcast in SD is a disgrace. Add to this that the Oreachtas (OTV) refuses to pay for transmission at all is even worse.

It is not a coincidence that the national broadcaster is held in such low regard by our parliament.

I was just pointing out that TV3 could provided KIDS hours on 3e, it is likely to be for 8 - 15 YOs.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure, a lot of broadcasters seem to regard the older children's market as effectively dominated by Nickelodeon and Disney and don't produce for that age group any more. The BBC don't make programming for 12-15 year olds any more, for example.

icdg wrote: »
    The BBC don't make programming for 12-15 year olds any more, for example.

CBBC just extended its hours to 9pm. While CITV dropped its pre-school programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Anorak34c

Mr Bean is coming to tv3, wed nights @ 830

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Wow. :o

Teletubbies on Ireland AM this morning to launch 3Kids starting this summer on TV3. Looks like they're aiming for the toddlers so.

Teletubbies on Ireland AM this morning to launch 3Kids starting this summer on TV3. Looks like they're aiming for the toddlers so.

Very strange move to go for the Under 6s. Did they say the hours that 3Kids would be on the air?

Very strange move to go for the Under 6s. Did they say the hours that 3Kids would be on the air?

Haven't watched the clips yet. Just saw a few tweets from TV3 and Ireland AM. I would presume it would take over the repeats of Midday, Seven O'Clock show and Ireland AM on 3e between 8-1

It's a double edged sword. On the one hand the under 6s will happily watch most things put in front of them, don't stream anything, and watch almost exclusively traditional linear TV. On the other hand, well, they don't buy anything either (though as they get older they can obviously pester, and it hasn't stopped Nick Jr and Disney Junior).

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    It's a double edged sword. On the one hand the under 6s will happily watch most things put in front of them, don't stream anything, and watch almost exclusively traditional linear TV. On the other hand, well, they don't buy anything either (though as they get older they can obviously pester, and it hasn't stopped Nick Jr and Disney Junior).

Parents/childminders will watch with them, expect lots of washing detergent ads.

They should be getting there finger out and sorting out HD transmission with RTE on Saorview. Not bloody kids programs ,Leave that to Channel 5 and CBeebies and CITV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Do these only have about 5 films to show?
    Mall Cop (one of the worst films ever made) is on again this time for the hundredth time.

Do these only have about 5 films to show?
    Mall Cop (one of the worst films ever made) is on again this time for the hundredth time.

Will be 8th and 9th time the film would have been shown since 2014. They're certainly getting their money's worth of the films.

3e 10-Jan-2014
    3e 15-Jan-2014
    TV3 09-May-2014
    TV3 21-Feb-2015
    3e 08-Apr-2015
    3e 13-Apr-2015
    TV3 05-Feb-2016
    3e 03-Jun-2016
    3e 05-Jun-2016

The numerous repeats of films and specials like Paul Connolly Investigates are getting ridiculous on the channel. They've shown Larry Murphy - The Search Goes On 9 times since it was first broadcast, with 3e showing it on Tuesday again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Will be 8th and 9th time the film would have been shown since 2014. They're certainly getting their money's worth of the films.

3e 10-Jan-2014
    3e 15-Jan-2014
    TV3 09-May-2014
    TV3 21-Feb-2015
    3e 08-Apr-2015
    3e 13-Apr-2015
    TV3 05-Feb-2016
    3e 03-Jun-2016
    3e 05-Jun-2016

The numerous repeats of films and specials like Paul Connolly Investigates are getting ridiculous on the channel. They've shown Larry Murphy - The Search Goes On 9 times since it was first broadcast, with 3e showing it on Tuesday again.

Where are you getting the information from or are you actually keeping count?

I'm just a fountain of useless knowledge. Some people collect stamps, while I keep a count of their films. :o

You have to admit that with the amount of repeats on both 3e and TV3 they are impressive holding on to their audiences. I honestly don't see why anyone would be interested in anything on either station that they haven't already seen before.

You have to admit that with the amount of repeats on both 3e and TV3 they are impressive holding on to their audiences. I honestly don't see why anyone would be interested in anything on either station that they haven't already seen before.

But that is true of most channels. Repeats, repeats, repeats. Unending repeats.

But that is true of most channels. Repeats, repeats, repeats. Unending repeats.

Mainstream channels not as much. I think in terms of mainstream channels TV3 is possibly the biggest offender. That and their daily shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If you use Digiguide you can set the number of weeks to retain the old schedules before they're removed.

Mine is set to 52 weeks, iseegirls missed TV3 29-Dec-2015 from his list :D.
    Channel 5 and 5* have shown the movie 6 times since Aug 30th, not including their +1s.

Advertisement