Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3, 3e and 3U.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

icdg wrote: »
    Just to say that there is no evidence of any Sky involvement in TV3's purchase of Six Nations rights.
    Except that TV3 hd signal is only available as a sky hd premium service offering, not with a standard sub, and not fta anywhere.

Just to say that there is no evidence of any Sky involvement in TV3's purchase of Six Nations rights.
    Except that TV3 hd signal is only available as a sky hd premium service offering, not with a standard sub, and not fta anywhere.

Sky now has exclusive hd delivery of the six nations on an Irish national channel. That doesn't come free, least of all from TV3.

deezell wrote: »
    Sky now has exclusive hd delivery of the six nations on an Irish national channel. That doesn't come free, least of all from TV3.

I think TV3 owners also have access to TV3 HD.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »

So why not broadcast in hd in their licensed area?

Elmo wrote: »

Simon why not broadcast in hd in their licensed area?

Simon why not broadcast in hd in their licensed area?

I mean to say that Virgin Media has TV3 HD, and they own TV3.

...and don't call me Simon???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

WTF is Simon? :)

So we could have TV31 TV32 TV33
    That's far too confusing... there will probably be another variation of the "3"

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »

no idea ask deezell
    That's far too confusing... there will probably be another variation of the "3"

being TV3 it will be a very original 3U.

Haha stupid new phone auto fill is driving me nuts. That was meant to be "so". I can't seem to edit on the mobile interface either, so you'll have to stay as Simon till I get to a pc.

Haha stupid new phone auto fill is driving me nuts. That was meant to be "so". I can't seem to edit on the mobile interface either, so you'll have to stay as Simon till I get to a pc.

So TV3/Virgin will now have the following main rights to share between the 3 channels - They would have to delve deep into the ITV studio archieves to keep 3 decent channels going. You would have to say sport (or lack of is an issue)... decent non-exclusive rights like Tour de France, Wimbledon etc would be cheap and fill the schedules nicely for a time.

Big Brother
    Britain's Got Talent
    UEFA Champions League
    6 Nations Rugby (From 2018)
    Coronation Street
    Emmerdale
    The Chase
    The Cube
    Dancing on Ice
    Doc Martin
    Good Morning Britain
    Loose Women
    Lorraine
    Love Island
    Mr Selfridge
    Sunday Night at the Palladium
    This Morning
    The Jonathan Ross Show
    Saturday Night Takeaway
    Vera
    Prime Suspect
    Cracker
    Midsomer Murders
    Foyle's War
    Formula E
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    CSI: Miami
    Tipping Point

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's not true, as had been pointed out several times. TV3 HD is also on Virgin Media, Eir Vision, and Vodafone TV. It is not exclusive to Sky. No it's not FTA anywhere. It's well documented how the Saorview rate card disincentivises anyone other than 2rn's parent company, RTE, from providing HD on the platform.

To return to the topic, I can't see TV3 and UTV Ireland lasting - they are aimed at the same target audience. It may be that TV3 may use UTV's Sky EPG listing to launch a channel of a different kind. But UTV Ireland will go, and its main programmes will move to TV3.

But UTV Ireland will go, and its main programmes will move to TV3.
    Totally agree - the main programming will go to EPG slot 103... whatever the station is called. To be fair having 105, 116 and 117 on sky also available means there is unbelievable potential if they want the opportunity.

That's not true, as had been pointed out several times. TV3 HD is also on Virgin Media, Eir Vision, and Vodafone TV. It is not exclusive to Sky. No it's not FTA anywhere. It's well documented how the Saorview rate card disincentivises anyone other than 2rn's parent company, RTE, from providing HD on the platform.

To return to the topic, I can't see TV3 and UTV Ireland lasting - they are aimed at the same target audience. It may be that TV3 may use UTV's Sky EPG listing to launch a channel of a different kind. But UTV Ireland will go, and its main programmes will move to TV3.

It is not well documented htat Saorview rate card disincentives others from going HD, what has been proved is the dragging of feet by non-RTE broadcasters, as usual.

UTV Ireland will not exist in its current form but it will remain on the air with a new schedule and a new brand, just as TV3 and 3e have under the "TV3 group"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Unfortunately TV3HD is not on Vodafone TV, at least not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I find it hard to believe that, if UTV Ireland is shut down, TV3 would not broadcast drama that is produced by ITV Studios. I hope that TV3 will have the sense to avoid broadcasting poor-quality home-grown programming, e.g. The Apprentice (which was a complete waste of money).

I find it hard to believe that, if UTV Ireland is shut down, TV3 would not broadcast drama that is produced by ITV Studios. I hope that TV3 will have the sense to avoid broadcasting poor-quality home-grown programming, e.g. The Apprentice (which was a complete waste of money).
    Agreed! .. There is plenty of very good drama from the ITV studios, they should IMO make their 3rd channel (now UTVI) a channel that broadcasts the best of ITV drama archives with some films and sports (like a mixture of ITV3/4)

New ITV drama on 3e with the major new series on TV3.

With the ITV studio catalogue at their disposal they have absolutely no excuse in not building a very decent channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

So TV3/Virgin will now have the following main rights to share between the 3 channels - They would have to delve deep into the ITV studio archieves to keep 3 decent channels going. You would have to say sport (or lack of is an issue)... decent non-exclusive rights like Tour de France, Wimbledon etc would be cheap and fill the schedules nicely for a time.

In regard to sport ITV become the terrestrial broadcaster of UK horseracing from 1st January next. Would these rights be available to Virgin here- there would be a lot of interest especially around Cheltenham, Aintree etc.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/british-horseracing-announces-exclusive-domestic-tv-rights-deal-itv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

mike2084 wrote: »
    In regard to sport ITV become the terrestrial broadcaster of UK horseracing from 1st January next. Would these rights be available to Virgin here- there would be a lot of interest especially around Cheltenham, Aintree etc.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/british-horseracing-announces-exclusive-domestic-tv-rights-deal-itv

As far as I know, RTÉ has the Ireland rights to those events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Where is it well documented ?

What is well documented is TV3 historic problem with paying any carriage at all, HD or otherwise, the extents they have went to avoiding same, the amount that this commercial company have been bailed out by the taxpayer. Al whilst being licensed in the state as a Free to Air broadcaster.

mike2084 wrote: »

Yes I was thinking about the sports rights now available to the "TV3 family" .. The racing would certainly be an excellent cheap addition to the group - take the ITV/world feed to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Would Virgin Media really pay E10million to shut down UTV?
    I know Richard Branson isn't hard up for a few bob but he surely hasn't gotten to where he is by ****ing away E10million on lost causes.
    If they had done nothing, UTV would have been lucky to see Christmas. UTV was doing so badly it wasn't even competing with Paul Claffey on Midwest radio!

I know Richard Branson isn't hard up for a few bob but he surely hasn't gotten to where he is by ****ing away E10million on lost causes.
    If they had done nothing, UTV would have been lucky to see Christmas. UTV was doing so badly it wasn't even competing with Paul Claffey on Midwest radio!

Richard Branson does not own Virgin media they have the rights to the brand.

UTV Ireland was doing as well as TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Virgin Media is a wholly owned subsidiary of the US cable giant Liberty Global since June 2013. It has a 30-year licence agreement with Virgin Enterprises Ltd to use the Virgin name and logo from Feb 2007. They are obligated to pay a termination payment if the license is terminated early under certain circumstances.

The Cush wrote: »
    Virgin Media is a wholly owned subsidiary of the US cable giant Liberty Global since June 2013. It has a 30-year licence agreement with Virgin Enterprises Ltd to use the Virgin name and logo from Feb 2007. They are obligated to pay a termination payment if the license is terminated early under certain circumstances.

I assume the termination of the name only applies to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

1.1million (18.6%) for Red Rock on BBC1 yesterday - winning its slot

• Advertisement

Advertisement