Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

interesting what they will do with UTVIRL. Despite the bravado they only have a limited budget and these announcements barely have anything new other than re-hashes of UK programmes or shifting around current programmes. The Pat Kenny thing will probably rate well the first week and then awful after that. Will Irish people take to Googlebox?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

interesting what they will do with UTVIRL. Despite the bravado they only have a limited budget and these announcements barely have anything new other than re-hashes of UK programmes or shifting around current programmes. The Pat Kenny thing will probably rate well the first week and then awful after that. Will Irish people take to Googlebox?

Problem with Googlebox is what will the people they get to do it watch? Mainly UK TV and TV3 hate the mention of the competition on their programmes, just look at how they drop their soap review when they lost Coro ST and Emmers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They can't say anything about UTV Ireland until they actually own it.

Truth be told it will probably be too late for the takeover to affect the Autumn schedule now but I will be surprised if UTV Ireland lasts too long after the takeover anyway, even if the quick fix is to make room for a move of Corrie and Emmerdale to TV3, with other ITV shows waiting for January.

Red Rock is moving to a post-watershed slot (although given they're selling it to BBC daytime I doubt this will mean a substantial amount of post watershed content, or at least nothing that can't be clipped without affecting the story) but this crucially means it won't be in the way of any move of the ITV soaps.

Also interesting is Vincent Browne's move to thrice a week at 10:30pm - this presumably is a start to a phasing out of his show.

icdg wrote: »
    They can't say anything about UTV Ireland until they actually own it.

Truth be told it will probably be too late for the takeover to affect the Autumn schedule now but I will be surprised if UTV Ireland lasts too long after the takeover anyway, even if the quick fix is to make room for a move of Corrie and Emmerdale to TV3, with other ITV shows waiting for January.

Red Rock is moving to a post-watershed slot (although given they're selling it to BBC daytime I doubt this will mean a substantial amount of post watershed content, or at least nothing that can't be clipped without affecting the story) but this crucially means it won't be in the way of any move of the ITV soaps.

Also interesting is Vincent Browne's move to thrice a week at 10:30pm - this presumably is a start to a phasing out of his show.

In relation to Gogglebox they won't be watching RTE, especially when TV3 covered up RTE's brand on the NSO logo (as if RTE where sponsors rather than owners).

It will be interesting to see if Red Rock improves rates before the return of the soaps, 9:30 is a strange time.

They will retain UTV Ireland but with a different brand.

It only every clashed with Ros NA Run, I think they should go for 8pm monday and friday. wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Elmo wrote: »
    In relation to Gogglebox they won't be watching RTE, especially when TV3 covered up RTE's brand on the NSO logo (as if RTE where sponsors rather than owners).

If this is the case then what's the point of the show? We have Gogglebox proper for the UK channels, surely an Irish version has to cover the Irish channels?? C4 have no trouble showing ITV/BBC/Sky shows, I would have hoped TV3 wouldn't be so petty as to exclude RTE/etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

He gave up on the show a long time ago.
    It's on in the middle of the night now and he rarely presents it.
    A weekly political debate show will generally get steady ratings but the nightly format TV3 went with killed any chance of that. Also, their political guests were getting more obscure by the week.

He gave up on the show a long time ago.
    It's on in the middle of the night now and he rarely presents it.

I think that is just for the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Was this announced or is it speculation? It would be rather stupid to exclude programming from the most watched broadcaster in the country.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Was this announced or is it speculation? It would be rather stupid to exclude programming from the most watched broadcaster in the country.

Speculation. But they cover up part of the name of the national concert orchestra at the Autumn event! (also 55% of all TV viewing is with UK broadcasters in any case)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

With Liberty Global on the verge of taking over Formula 1, I would expect TV3 to get the rights once they are available. Although, is Formula 1 as popular in Ireland as it once was - been such a long time since RTE2 showed it, and doesn't look like they made any effort getting it back.

Any idea how long Eir Sports have a deal to broadcast them till?

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    With Liberty Global on the verge of taking over Formula 1, I would expect TV3 to get the rights once they are available. Although, is Formula 1 as popular in Ireland as it once was - been such a long time since RTE2 showed it, and doesn't look like they made any effort getting it back.

I'd say Liberty Global will use F1 with for the cable services across Europe, they might consider returning highlights on TV3, which didn't last too long the last time, though perhaps as a small market they might consider TV3 for the live events.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a very niche sport, I think the cost that Formula 1 would miss out from the Eir Sport money would be far greater than the beneficial effect having Formula 1 on TV3.

It is Liberty Media rather than Liberty Global that are taking over Formula One. Same owner, but separate company with separate management.

Eir Sport have the rights until 2018, following which Sky have already negotiated an exclusive deal to run until 2024.

Someone asked about Red Rock's theme tune a while back, I'm given to understand they debuted a rearrangement of the theme last night that got rid of that awful harmonica.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

TV3 is 18 years old today. It launched on Sunday 20th September 1998, the same day U2 shot their video for The Sweetest Thing in the city centre (I remember because I was working on it.)

Time flies...

doubledown wrote: »
    TV3 is 18 years old today. It launched on Sunday 20th September 1998, the same day U2 shot their video for The Sweetest Thing in the city centre (I remember because I was working on it.)

Time flies...

Seem to remember TV3's Pop On 3 had exclusive first showing of that video, back when showing music videos first was a big thing (especially for Top 30 Hits if you remember those huge letters going across the screen)

On that night, there was an hour of News @ 7, Messrs Tylak And Rooney, Just Shoot Me, 20/20, Merlin (TV 2-Parter Movie), News & Sports Tonight. The following day they broke away from scheduled programming for the Clinton Trial. The only programme that is still on now that was broadcast back in the 1st week is Judge Judy.

On that night, there was an hour of News @ 7, Messrs Tylak And Rooney, Just Shoot Me, 20/20, Merlin (TV 2-Parter Movie), News & Sports Tonight. The following day they broke away from scheduled programming for the Clinton Trial. The only programme that is still on now that was broadcast back in the 1st week is Judge Judy.

News @6 ... News @7 was following the splitting of News @6. and it open with Hector and Clodagh showing viewer what they could expect from the new channel.

News @6 ... News @7 was following the splitting of News @6. and it open with Hector and Clodagh showing viewer what they could expect from the new channel.

Sorry, mistype there. Crazy how many "News @" there have been. News @ 12.30, News @ 12:45, News @ 5.30 (aka First Edition for some time), News @ 6, News @ 6.30, News @ 7, News @ 8, News Tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Time flies...

Why associate TV3 with U2 and TV3 is still rubbish 18 years on .

lgs 4 wrote: »

Lots would think that is also a fair assessment of U2. also Paul McGuiness was a co-owner/co-founder of the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

lgs 4 wrote: »

Simply my association. As I said, I happened to be working on the shoot the day the channel launched. Relax.

Simply my association. As I said, I happened to be working on the shoot the day the channel launched. Relax.

As Lorraine Keane had an exclusive interview with U2 on TV3 News @6.

Okay, can people drop the U2 argument.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Seem to remember TV3's Pop On 3 had exclusive first showing of that video, back when showing music videos first was a big thing (especially for Top 30 Hits if you remember those huge letters going across the screen)

Ah I vaguely remember Pop On 3. Wasn't too bad. Can't remember the presenter's name.

If I recall correctly, they reran Pop On 3 and Pepsi Chart Show on Saturday mornings, before RTE2 reran their Top 30 Hits!

byte wrote: »
    Ah I vaguely remember Pop On 3. Wasn't too bad. Can't remember the presenter's name.

If I recall correctly, they reran Pop On 3 and Pepsi Chart Show on Saturday mornings, before RTE2 reran their Top 30 Hits!

Darragh Purcell was the presenter. He presented it for 2years, then had a short run with another music show called The Sound Room soon after. He's disappeared since then.

Pop On 3 was on Saturday mornings at 9 and then 10am a few weeks later. Pepsi Chart Show was on Saturday evening at 6.30, and repeated on Sunday morning at 10:30.

Music hasn't really been a big interest for them over the years. Dynamite TV was on for a half a year around 2001, while Music 3(cubed) which ran every night for about 9 months depended on viewers votes to show the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I wonder will Red Rock be moved to 9 o'clock when Corrie and Emmerdale are brought back to TV3. Furthermore, the fact that Emmerdale is on at 8 o'clock on a Thursday means that the 8 o'clock news bulletin would have to be moved. I wonder what will happen: TV3 News at 10?!

I wonder will Red Rock be moved to 9 o'clock when Corrie and Emmerdale are brought back to TV3. Furthermore, the fact that Emmerdale is on at 8 o'clock on a Thursday means that the 8 o'clock news bulletin would have to be moved. I wonder what will happen: TV3 News at 10?!

I would say TV3 will drop TSOCS, Ireland Live and News @8.

It would be interesting to see them move Red Rock to 9pm but it seems they aren't looking for the Coro St lead in. The 9:30 slot is to avoid RTE news.

Emmerdale at 8 would stop either UTV Ireland or TV3 putting the news on at 7:30 on Thursday Night.

I'm of that view myself. News at 8 and The Seven O'Clock Show were conceived to fill a soap based hole in the schedules and I can see one or both of them going after the soaps move back from UTV Ireland to TV3.

Ireland Live won't even last that long. It will go before the ink is even dry.

Ireland Live won't even last that long. It will go before the ink is even dry.

Ireland Live has dropped to 30mins for the 10pm show already. AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I would say TV3 will drop TSOCS, Ireland Live and News @8.

It would be interesting to see them move Red Rock to 9pm but it seems they aren't looking for the Coro St lead in. The 9:30 slot is to avoid RTE news.

Emmerdale at 8 would stop either UTV Ireland or TV3 putting the news on at 7:30 on Thursday Night.

Then what would be on TV3 on a Monday night at 9?

Advertisement