Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Then what would be on TV3 on a Monday night at 9?

They had shows like Adoption Stories, Animal Rescue, 24 Hours to Kill at 8:30 before they moved hour long shows to 8:30 a few weeks ago. These would easily slot on Monday at 9.

For the Emmerdale that's on at 8 on a Thursday, maybe the simplest thing to do there is move it to 8:30, leaving the News @ 8 as it stands, and also avoid a clash with Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    They had shows like Adoption Stories, Animal Rescue, 24 Hours to Kill at 8:30 before they moved hour long shows to 8:30 a few weeks ago. These would easily slot on Monday at 9.

For the Emmerdale that's on at 8 on a Thursday, maybe the simplest thing to do there is move it to 8:30, leaving the News @ 8 as it stands, and also avoid a clash with Fair City.

Sorry I meant there is nothing stopping them having news @8 on at 7:30/8:30 on Thursday or as you say moving emmerdale to 8:30.

Oh if you wondering what happened David McRedmond you find him in charge of collecting the licence fee.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/former-tv3-boss-david-mcredmond-to-be-new-chief-executive-of-an-post-1.2801649

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    Oh if you wondering what happened David McRedmond you find him in charge of collecting the licence fee.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/former-tv3-boss-david-mcredmond-to-be-new-chief-executive-of-an-post-1.2801649

Oh, the irony of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

TV3's sales team to be renamed Virgin Media Solutions as of Monday and have responsibility for sales on behalf of Virgin Media in both Ireland and the U.K.

icdg wrote: »
    TV3's sales team to be renamed Virgin Media Solutions as of Monday and have responsibility for sales on behalf of Virgin Media in both Ireland and the U.K.

I am surprised they are holding on to the name The TV3 Group, it never really took off as a brand. Is this a slow rebrand of TV3 to Virgin?

• Advertisement

Well, Laura Slattery of the Irish Times suggested that TV3 should rebrand its channels to Virgin in a recent interview with Tony Hanway and he apparently wasn't too keen on the idea.

Well, Laura Slattery of the Irish Times suggested that TV3 should rebrand its channels to Virgin in a recent interview with Tony Hanway and he apparently wasn't too keen on the idea.

end credits are saying apart of the virgin media group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

That wouldn't go down well with Irish terrestrial viewers. It's the 3rd main terrestrial channel in Ireland (though TG4 - formerly T na G - was the 3rd to go on air) and so it wouldn't be in TV3's interest to drop the TV3 name.

I don't think there will be any change to TV3's brand at all, to be honest. It was just a suggestion made by a particular journalist in the course of a particular piece.

I don't think the viewers particularly care what it calls itself, mind you. They just care about the programmes. There's nothing intrinsically Irish about the name "TV3" and there are a couple of other channels with the same name elsewhere.

I don't think there will be any change to TV3's brand at all, to be honest. It was just a suggestion made by a particular journalist in the course of a particular piece.

I don't think the viewers particularly care what it calls itself, mind you. They just care about the programmes. There's nothing intrinsically Irish about the name "TV3" and there are a couple of other channels with the same name elsewhere.

On that note, I'm aware of TV3 New Zealand, on which Rachel Smalley was a newsreader. She was also a newsreader on TV3 Ireland back in 2003.

• Advertisement

Both partially owned by the now defunct Canwest at one stage.

From an article by Vincent Browne in the journal.ie
    In a documentary which I was working on for TV3 – now not to be completed by TV3 – the most unlikely people spoke so highly of Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

From an article by Vincent Browne in the journal.ie

I bet if those people cut the hole off him it would be shown.

I'm not sure how useful this particular tangent is. Maybe it's more appropriate a topic for Politics or another forum

I'm not sure how useful this particular tangent is. Maybe it's more appropriate a topic for Politics or another forum

Mine was in reference to the number of programmes tv3 suggest they are making

Does TV3 think that there is no demand for alternative domestic news coverage on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays (apart from summaries on the Saturday and Sunday AM programmes)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Does TV3 think that there is no demand for alternative domestic news coverage on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays (apart from summaries on the Saturday and Sunday AM programmes)?

It's been about 8 years now of no 5:30 weekend bulletins. Was part of a costcutting procedure that meant Sports Tonight went too.
    Am surprised they didn't bring it back, since Saturday:AM and Sunday:AM have hourly news bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

iseegirls wrote: »
    It's been about 8 years now of no 5:30 weekend bulletins. Was part of a costcutting procedure that meant Sports Tonight went too.
    Am surprised they didn't bring it back, since Saturday:AM and Sunday:AM have hourly news bulletins.

They lot a lot of staff go then too, probably dont have enough to do the later news

TBH from what I can gather TV3 have over stretched their employees over the last 2 years. That's why you should expect to see them drop a few programmes, e.g. Xpose's move to 30mins.

I wonder if either Saturday or Sunday AM have consolidated audiences at the weekend? It'd be interesting to know how many viewers were watching TV3 at that time before their arrival, they currently have an average audience of 35,000 viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone know if any major sports rights are coming up for auction soon? You would have to imagine TV3 will be better placed with their new financial backing - I am amazed they never picked up the PL highlights package. Relatively cheap and they could use it as a lead in to other programming.

The GAA is the big one coming up this Autumn, and one I'd expect TV3 to target.

To answer my own question in post 2357, I suspect that the demand for alternative domestic news at weekends just isn't there.

RTÉ had had a monopoly on terrestrial television news for 27 years when TV3 came along and it has proved impossible to erode that dominance.

I guess that, in a small country of only four and a half million people, it is more difficult to find a different angle on national news in the Republic than in the UK and almost 90% of the population of the Republic have access to alternative coverage of international news via terrestrial overspill, satellite dishes, cable and internet protocol television, i.e. Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Any more suggestions on what UTV Ireland's new name will be ... if it survives?

More 3
    3 Plus
    TV3 2
    ???

More 3
    3 Plus
    TV3 2
    ???

Virgin 3 or VM3 or VMI3

The GAA is the big one coming up this Autumn, and one I'd expect TV3 to target.
    Yeah that's one that I had in my head alright, can see sky leaving the coverage go and TV3 regaining rights.

Although I wouldn't rule out Eirsport going for the GAA either, of all sports in Ireland it has the most potential to attract customers.

More 3
    3 Plus
    TV3 2
    ???
    I'd try something like this... drop the "TV" from the logo..

3 Ireland (103)
    3 Entertainment (105)
    3 Family (116)

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone know if any major sports rights are coming up for auction soon? You would have to imagine TV3 will be better placed with their new financial backing - I am amazed they never picked up the PL highlights package. Relatively cheap and they could use it as a lead in to other programming.

TV3 already have The X Factor on Saturday nights for 4 months which at the moment is their highest rated show. Impossible to get highlights package out before it, due to the 5:30pm kick off of some matches, and if they go after The X/Xtra Factor, then it faces MOTD.

They'll deffo need to go after GAA rights. Even the League matches in Mar & April - they guarantee good ratings on weekends.

Virgin 3 or VM3 or VMI3

More or less ruled out already. That said, I don't think UTV Ireland will survive anyway.

As for the GAA, I suspect if they do win any package it will be the package they had previously i.e. the games Sky have presently. I'd expect all the other packages to remain as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As for the GAA, I suspect if they do win any package it will be the package they had previously i.e. the games Sky have presently. I'd expect all the other packages to remain as is.

Because they can't afford the bigger packages? Or because GAA won't give them away from RTÉ?

Advertisement