Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Because I don't think the GAA will give the main package away from RTE for anything other than a "blow out of the water" bid which I don't think TV3 will make. Even if it was made, if you think the furore over the Sky deal was bad, it will seem like a petty squabble if the GAA community are presented with headlines like "The Sunday Game axed".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

icdg wrote: »
    Because I don't think the GAA will give the main package away from RTE for anything other than a "blow out of the water" bid which I don't think TV3 will make. Even if it was made, if you think the furore over the Sky deal was bad, it will seem like a petty squabble if the GAA community are presented with headlines like "The Sunday Game axed".

Would they not be bound by law to accept the highest bid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

iseegirls wrote: »
    TV3 already have The X Factor on Saturday nights for 4 months which at the moment is their highest rated show. Impossible to get highlights package out before it, due to the 5:30pm kick off of some matches, and if they go after The X/Xtra Factor, then it faces MOTD.

They'll deffo need to go after GAA rights. Even the League matches in Mar & April - they guarantee good ratings on weekends.

They should go for a few Saturday night games off Setanta.

I don't think they'll bother to be honest, they'll have access to pretty much the entire ITV prime time schedule and won't be short of cheaper Saturday night entertainment.

I'd expect the Saturday night fixtures to stay exactly where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 have a budget for the year. Unless Virgin Media has increased this budget drastically TV3 are probably ruling themselves out of a lot sports.

currently they hold Champions League and 6 Nations Rugby from 2018. They also have a 10 year contract with ITV, along with Big Brother from Channel 5 and their other ITV shows from other distributors such as XFactor and BGT.

IMO TV3 will be unlikely to bid for RTÉ's GAA rights but rather the rights they lost to Sky.

Unless Virgin Media plan to launch a pay Sports channel through TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Laird

Hopefully they get the horse racing coverage from 1st January next when ITV take over from Channel4.

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 have a budget for the year. Unless Virgin Media has increased this budget drastically TV3 are probably ruling themselves out of a lot sports.

currently they hold Champions League and 6 Nations Rugby from 2018. They also have a 10 year contract with ITV, along with Big Brother from Channel 5 and their other ITV shows from other distributors such as XFactor and BGT.

IMO TV3 will be unlikely to bid for RTÉ's GAA rights but rather the rights they lost to Sky.

Unless Virgin Media plan to launch a pay Sports channel through TV3.

There GAA coverage is very poor on their news and Ireland am coverage.

dulpit wrote: »
    Would they not be bound by law to accept the highest bid?

Not unless they said they would in the request for tenders or equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

thesultan wrote: »
    There GAA coverage is very poor on their news and Ireland am coverage.

All depends on whether they have the rights or not. When they had it, they had more debate about GAA than they do at the moment on ireland:AM same with the news reports. They also had The GAA Show and Championship Throw In during their 6 years covering it. That's more to do with them having the rights to show highlights of matches then too.

iseegirls wrote: »
    All depends on whether they have the rights or not. When they had it, they had more debate about GAA than they do at the moment on ireland:AM same with the news reports. They also had The GAA Show and Championship Throw In during their 6 years covering it. That's more to do with them having the rights to show highlights of matches then too.

I wonder if it is also about an unwillingness to give coverage to sports that have a direct competitor to TV3. How do they do with coverage of Rugby and Soccer?

• Advertisement

They give a lot of coverage to both rugby and soccer. Not bad coverage at times but simon Delaney should not be let talk about sport(its only soccer and man utd he's into ).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If TV3 were smart they would be negotiating with Amazon for the new "The Grand Tour" motoring show - AFAIK Amazon Prime is not available in Ireland... you would imagine it could do very well for them.

It'd do very well for any broadcaster that picks it up.

Sadly, and very oddly given what their core business is, Amazon seem to have no sort of third party distribution/sales network yet in place (I'd imagine there'd have been some interest in "The Man in the High Castle", for instance) Maybe their objective is to "do a Netflix" and become an international broadcaster, but if it is they're being very slow about it. If that is their strategy we could be waiting years for the Grand Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It'd do very well for any broadcaster that picks it up.

Sadly, and very oddly given what their core business is, Amazon seem to have no sort of third party distribution/sales network yet in place (I'd imagine there'd have been some interest in "The Man in the High Castle", for instance) Maybe their objective is to "do a Netflix" and become an international broadcaster, but if it is they're being very slow about it. If that is their strategy we could be waiting years for the Grand Tour.
    From what I read Amazon had said it is working to make the programme available in Ireland - be that broadcasters or online I have no idea... you would imagine if TV3 made a decent offer they would find it hard to turn it down.

It may be as simple as Amazon having no international distribution/sales team - in other words TV3 having nobody to call to make an offer for the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

To answer my own question in post 2357, I suspect that the demand for alternative domestic news at weekends just isn't there.

RTÉ had had a monopoly on terrestrial television news for 27 years when TV3 came along and it has proved impossible to erode that dominance.

I guess that, in a small country of only four and a half million people, it is more difficult to find a different angle on national news in the Republic than in the UK and almost 90% of the population of the Republic have access to alternative coverage of international news via terrestrial overspill, satellite dishes, cable and internet protocol television, i.e. Eir.

Plus their news coverage is piss poor.

To answer my own question in post 2357, I suspect that the demand for alternative domestic news at weekends just isn't there.

RTÉ had had a monopoly on terrestrial television news for 27 years when TV3 came along and it has proved impossible to erode that dominance.

I guess that, in a small country of only four and a half million people, it is more difficult to find a different angle on national news in the Republic than in the UK and almost 90% of the population of the Republic have access to alternative coverage of international news via terrestrial overspill, satellite dishes, cable and internet protocol television, i.e. Eir.

question: has it ever really been done. Myles Dungan present a monthly show many years ago but outside of that I don't thin RTE or TV3 really tried so you can't say and they can't say their is no market for it because you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

question: has it ever really been done. Myles Dungan present a monthly show many years ago but outside of that I don't thin RTE or TV3 really tried so you can't say and they can't say their is no market for it because you don't know.

Myles presented a show on TV3?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If that is their strategy we could be waiting years for the Grand Tour.

Amazon would be rather foolish if they allowed that to happen. The days of broadcasters dictating when people see something are long gone and anyone with a broadband connection can find a way to see it if they are desperate enough, legal or not.

Myles presented a show on TV3?!

No on RTÉ2

• Advertisement

No on RTÉ2

By "national news from a different angle" I meant "national news by a television broadcaster other than RTÉ.

By "national news from a different angle" I meant "national news by a television broadcaster other than RTÉ.

My point is it hasn't been done, so who's to say the market isn't there. I don't really see much difference between RTÉ, TV3 or NewsTalk the main broadcast news services. On the other hand for some reason both Sky and ITN can deliver both their normal BBC-esq news and alternative news such as Channel 4 News and 5 News.

In fairness to UTV Ireland's Ireland Live it was a contender in comparsion to TV3 News lets hope Virgin see the value of UTV's news website V TV3's.

http://www.tv3.ie/news.php
    oh well their goes online news from UTV Ireland Top Stories section has been dropped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

irishfeen wrote: »
    From what I read Amazon had said it is working to make the programme available in Ireland - be that broadcasters or online I have no idea... you would imagine if TV3 made a decent offer they would find it hard to turn it down.

If Amazon or Apple don't get their act together soon we'll all be using bloody torrents, and they can then whistle to try and monetise us then.

It seems we are deemed to be living in a second class country, when they both get the tax treatment but we cant legitimately BUY their stuff :mad:

My point is it hasn't been done, so who's to say the market isn't there. I don't really see much difference between RTÉ, TV3 or NewsTalk the main broadcast news services. On the other hand for some reason both Sky and ITN can deliver both their normal BBC-esq news and alternative news such as Channel 4 News and 5 News.

In fairness to UTV Ireland's Ireland Live it was a contender in comparsion to TV3 News lets hope Virgin see the value of UTV's news website V TV3's.

http://www.tv3.ie/news.php
    oh well their goes online news from UTV Ireland Top Stories section has been dropped!

There are plenty of differences: TV3, unlike RTÉ, doesn't have dedicated foreign correspondents or meaningful weekend coverage.

There are plenty of differences: TV3, unlike RTÉ, doesn't have dedicated foreign correspondents or meaningful weekend coverage.

I am say in terms of presentation/style their isn't much difference. Neither really provide an alternative and TV3 largely still follows RTE. I never get why the #rtebias is used during protests when no TV broadcaster is reporting on the event. I always though it would be interesting to do a study of NewsTalk and TV3 v RTE in terms of news.

The most alternative news show is possible The Last Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

You can't really compare rte news to tv3. One is a national broadcaster and the other a private business that is all about making as much money as possible.

Being a private broadcaster isn't incompatible with providing a quality news service. Ask ITN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Being a private broadcaster isn't incompatible with providing a quality news service. Ask ITN.

There are similarities but ITN is not a tv channel, it is a news content provider for broadcasters

I am not saying that either TV3 or Communicorp (also in the past UTV Radio) should operate in the same way as RTÉ, my point is in relation to how we have taken the RTÉ bias hash tag, particularly during protest marches yet I never here how NewsTalk reports on these events nor does anyone ever question why TV3 don't broadcasts an evening news on a Saturday or Sunday so that such events could be reported on. Remember TV3 is licensed as the National Commercial Public Service Broadcaster as is TodayFM.

Also Commuincorp provides radio news to other independent radio stations outside their ownership.

• Advertisement

Elmo, just to say that I'm not sure your question regarding that particular hashtag can be fully answered or debated without looking at the politics of who is using it. As there's an active Politics forum on Boards, I'd maybe ask you (as its your second time raising the issue) to bring it up there instead.

Advertisement