Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Elmo, just to say that I'm not sure your question regarding that particular hashtag can be fully answered or debated without looking at the politics of who is using it. As there's an active Politics forum on Boards, I'd maybe ask you (as its your second time raising the issue) to bring it up there instead.

I know there is a certain political bias to twitter itself. But I am looking at the overall idea of having an alternative news and with the question to TV3's weekend news. It seem surprising that so many people point to how many minutes a story gets on an 30minute RTE news programme, when you can't compare the same story on TV3 due to TV3 not having a weekend news later in the day.

And I am not trying to move this towards the question of RTE bias?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Drop it. The thread is about TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Cant watch the 5:30 news on Sky Go or on the Tv3 online player.

Does anyone know why?

Pat Kenny's new current affairs show is going to be called Pat Kenny Tonight, despite Collette Fitzpatrick being co anchor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    Pat Kenny's new current affairs show is going to be called Pat Kenny Tonight, despite Collette Fitzpatrick being co anchor
    Smart move tbh, it's Pat Kenny who will attract the current affairs audience.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Smart move tbh, it's Pat Kenny who will attract the current affairs audience.

Why not call it Tonight? Oh because tv3 call their other CA programme Tonight! Daft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If I worked for TV3 I'd be very embarrassed over the Pat Kenny D.O.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Why do people keep this thread going ,the subject is just the same old, old ,old . ( Boring )

Take a warning lgs4 - if you don't want to contribute to thread, you don't have to. Nor are you obligated to read it if you don't like what's being said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

mikeym wrote: »
    Cant watch the 5:30 news on Sky Go or on the Tv3 online player.

Does anyone know why?

Clearly some wonk in either $ky or TV3 is worried about the show being watched on an iPad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

http://www.c21media.net/irelands-tv3-unveils-utv-plans/

Details of what TV3's plans are for UTV are revealed, but a subscription is needed to read the article.

pad_ehh wrote: »

Details of what TV3's plans are for UTV are revealed, but a subscription is needed to read the article.
    Irish commercial broadcaster TV3 will become a “three channel business” following the completed takeover of UTV Ireland, quashing rumours that the two broadcasters will be merged.

Opening para from their headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

All we know is that they aren't closing it down then.

I wonder if they'll keep the name and what direction they'll take the channel...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I can't see why they'd want to keep the name. A lot of people dislike the brand and see it as being a fake ITV with only some of its shows.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I can't see why they'd want to keep the name. A lot of people dislike the brand and see it as being a fake ITV with only some of its shows.

Defo will not keep the name, I'll be interesting to see how quickly they re-brand. It took them about 4 months to relaunch Channel 6.

They have already said that if they keep the channel, they will change the name. Indeed this would be a necessity if ITV are to continue with their stated policy of continuing to use the UTV name in Northern Ireland and may even have been a condition of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

pad_ehh wrote: »

Surely some other news outlet has this story, so that we can find out full plans for UTVI ? Virgin hardly released the story to a behind a paywall news outlet only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I still fully expect Coronation Street and Emmerdale to move over to TV3. They need those shows to boost their own home produced offerings.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I still fully expect Coronation Street and Emmerdale to move over to TV3. They need those shows to boost their own home produced offerings.

yeah it will be interesting to see if they do help TV3 locally produced shows, or if it will continue to be the same. Though TBH they could leave Emmers on UTV Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

iseegirls wrote: »

Is it just my tv or does UTVI HD look better than TV3 HD ... on sky? I certainly think so, so it should be VMI's main channel ... whatever it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

What about renaming UTVI to More3 like Channel 4 called one of their extra channels More4 ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    What about renaming UTVI to More3 like Channel 4 called one of their extra channels More4 ?

VMI ONE
    VMI TWO
    VMI THREE :)

3more is to 3e as e4 is to more4!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You would hope they could be more original than that.. Although it being TV3, I wouldn't be surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

Or, More or Less 3..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭swoofer

utv1 hd is better than tv3 hd, TV3 tend to do things on the cheap so by using a lower bit rate than utv hd they A save money and B have a worse picture.

deezell wrote: »
    Or, More or Less 3..

Should that not be 3 or fewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭StreetLight

3minus1. Shows programming one hour ahead of TV3.

3minus1. Shows programming one hour ahead of TV3.

+23 shows programming 23 hours after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Have to say that the editing of the IFTA's last night was abysmal. It's as if they had 2 teenagers chopping it. It overran by 10minutes, yet still so much was cut. Any references to TV3 and Red Rock were kept in. For instance, the best male and female in soap/comedy nominees were longer than others due to TV3's interest it in. Best Irish Language, Best Animation may as well not have existed. Pat Kenny got a special award which was shown for about 10 minutes. One wonders, whether that would have been given if he stayed on UTV Ireland, and not just started on TV3 last week.

Overall, a horribly done award ceremony broadcast by them.

• Advertisement

Advertisement