Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Surprised that TV3 (The Dunphy Show) spent so much money on Alistair Campbell considering the cost of producing a TV show regardless of guest. Can't find the interview online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Aisling O'Loughlin has said she will quit the small screen after she had been axed from the presenting team for Xpose.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/aisling-oloughlin-quits-the-small-screen-after-xpose-axe-35153947.html

She will launch a brand new website on lifestyle news from this Friday.

Aisling O'Loughlin has said she will quit the small screen after she had been axed from the presenting team for Xpose.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/aisling-oloughlin-quits-the-small-screen-after-xpose-axe-35153947.html

She will launch a brand new website on lifestyle news from this Friday.

It is strange the way the media were very supportive of the hour long show but really said nothing about the cutting of the show, rather it's a "reshuffle".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

The format of xposé is gone to the dogs. There now seems to be half the show about kim khardasin and hardly any clothes or make up...

• Advertisement

I think the move to only 10 eps from Sept to Dec for Red Rock is a bad move. The problem is that the show is very average as a mini-series, if it goes down that route. As a soap its fine.

When in 2017 will it return. Disappointing move from TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Elmo wrote: »
    I think the move to only 10 eps from Sept to Dec for Red Rock is a bad move. The problem is that the show is very average as a mini-series, if it goes down that route. As a soap its fine.

When in 2017 will it return. Disappointing move from TV3.

It's back on Monday January 9th. Loads of action lined up for January going on the promo last night.

galtee boy wrote: »
    It's back on Monday January 9th. Loads of action lined up for January going on the promo last night.

Even still unless they are planning for it to run until next August the show isn't that strong to hold an audience. If it is purely a 20 week run the show will be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Even still unless they are planning for it to run until next August the show isn't that strong to hold an audience. If it is purely a 20 week run the show will be in trouble.

I like Red Rock, probably the best thing TV3 has ever produced. But I agree with you, I would prefer the soap format, half hour, twice a week, say from Sept to May. A summer break wouldn't be a problem, not a lot of tv watching done in the long evenings anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I hadn't realised it was that short an order.

However TV3 don't view it as a soap anymore (even if that's what it started life as). The runaway success of Love/Hate sparked a retool towards a police/crime drama even before it went on air and the view is most certainly now that it's a one hour prime time drama, even if soapish elements remain. The successful sale to the BBC who are aired it in a one hour format probably helped push them in that direction too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

icdg wrote: »

However TV3 don't view it as a soap anymore (even if that's what it started life as). The runaway success of Love/Hate sparked a retool towards a police/crime drama even before it went on air and the view is most certainly now that it's a one hour prime time drama, even if soapish elements remain. The successful sale to the BBC who are aired it in a one hour format probably helped push them in that direction too.

If it's plot driven it's a drama. If it's character driven it's a soap. Characters in soaps can morph overnight into serial killers, evangelists, alcoholics etc. all to keep the viewers engaged and suit their storyline. Characters in a drama or series will stay the same unless a longish passage of time elapses while the plot unfolds. So where is red rock right now? Do you watch it for the antics of a sub group of characters or for an ongoing plot line.

icdg wrote: »

Even if TV3 don't see it as a soap they are purely only providing funding for a soap and afaik the series produce similar to a soap.

As for Love/Hate its final series pre-dates Red Rock by a year, while the BBC bought in a daytime soap.

deezell wrote: »
    If it's plot driven it's a drama. If it's character driven it's a soap. Characters in soaps can morph overnight into serial killers, evangelists, alcoholics etc. all to keep the viewers engaged and suit their storyline. Characters in a drama or series will stay the same unless a longish passage of time elapses while the plot unfolds. So where is red rock right now? Do you watch it for the antics of a sub group of characters or for an ongoing plot line.

I tend to think that soap is issue and character driven, with multiple arcs due to the long running nature of soaps.

Drama tends to be character and plot driven such as Breaking Bad (though clearly it deals with drug use but its not driving home any message about misuse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I see RTE are starting their US election coverage at 11.25 pm with Brian Dobson until 3.30 am and then they switch over to CBS to continue coverage. TV 3 however have a Vincent Brown US special at 10.30 pm until 11.30 pm and then they join up with CNN. It will be very interesting to see who will come out on top in this ratings war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I see RTE are starting their US election coverage at 11.25 pm with Brian Dobson until 3.30 am and then they switch over to CBS to continue coverage. TV 3 however have a Vincent Brown US special at 10.30 pm until 11.30 pm and then they join up with CNN. It will be very interesting to see who will come out on top in this ratings war.

RTE..its amazing how many people of a certain age will not look beyond RTE 1 and 2 for viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Also CNN is widely available on its own. CBS would be something new for viewers. Also TV3 PQ is arse for anyone who doesn't pay for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lertsnim wrote: »
    Also CNN is widely available on its own. CBS would be something new for viewers. Also TV3 PQ is arse for anyone who doesn't pay for tv.

CNN HD all the way here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

lertsnim wrote: »
    True enough I've been watching coverage on CNN and the picture quality is excellent. Apart from the PQ I feel TV3 will loose alot viewers due to the fact they aren't going up against RTE with their own in studio guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Whats the story with the dog that tv3 used on cnn last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Whats the story with the dog that tv3 used on cnn last night?

Now that's what I call being in the 4:3 safe zone! :D

• Advertisement

I don't really understand why TV3 don't just merge their teams and axe a few episodes of other shows. For example during the our own election coverage, taking Friday off for Saturday coverage of the Election, must Ireland AM, Xpose, TSOCS air no matter what?

For last nights US Election merging all staff from afternoon and evening shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Ireland Am was all election coverage. Xpose is now 30 mins with most of it celebrity gossip rather than fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

In fairness, they did have a good chunk of their schedule devoted to the election coverage (more than they'd devote to our local elections)

VinB was on until 1am, CNN then all night, before Ireland:AM had 3 hours and was on air crucially when it was declared that Trump had won. Unsure if RTE were still with American TV or their own studio.

The 5.30 was extended by an hour today, pat Kenny is on for 90mins tonight, and a Collette Fitz & Mick Clifford special after it.

The thing is, I don't understand why they didn't schedule this in the first place. Why wait until a day before the event before deciding to show these specials. Many people rely on weekly guides like RTE Guide for what to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 iprinter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Here is when things will get interesting. Will they want to keep the 'UTV Ireland' channel as close to ITV as possible? that will mean a rake of shows like Catchphrase, Tipping Point, X factor, BGT, 1000 Heartbeats, Long Lost Family leaving TV3.

Or close the channel, and merge all their decent stuff into TV3 and 3e.

There are programmes on TV3 that would see their audience double if they had Coronation Street there. I think getting this back on TV3 should be priority number 1.

I'd say TV3 will retain UTV Ireland.

It will become a 3rd channel, most likely both soap will move back to TV3 and they will drop news@8, Ireland Live and TSOCS.

Changes announced during the week IMO. with changes taking place in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It will become a 3rd channel, most likely both soap will move back to TV3 and they will drop news@8, Ireland Live and TSOCS.

Possibly longer - it took Eir around six months to rebrand Setanta after approval of that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Ties into Red Rock's sudden mid-season hiatus also. I would imagine that TV3 will be relaunched in Jan with UK Soaps back in its schedule & Red Rock looking to retain these viewers.

Ties into Red Rock's sudden mid-season hiatus also. I would imagine that TV3 will be relaunched in Jan with UK Soaps back in its schedule & Red Rock looking to retain these viewers.

It might be but I think the change from 30mins eps to 1hour does not suggest that.

I agree that Red Rock should move to 8pm Monday and Friday, with a 10pm omnibus during between Xfactor programmes. They would see a significant increase in audience, even when up against EastEnders as proven on several occassion by both TV3 and UTV Ireland.

I expect them to see total audience across 4 channel fall by 2%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

It might be but I think the change from 30mins eps to 1hour does not suggest that.

I agree that Red Rock should move to 8pm Monday and Friday, with a 10pm omnibus during between Xfactor programmes. They would see a significant increase in audience, even when up against EastEnders as proven on several occassion by both TV3 and UTV Ireland.

I expect them to see total audience across 4 channel fall by 2%

Red Rock's more adult content in 1hour format will probably see it stick to a later time slot. My point was that TV3 will try and schedule Red Rock to follow the UK Soaps and see if they can get a bounce.

Advertisement