Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Something interesting or maybe not.

At the time of the launch of the Toy Show Teaser, there were reports of the SOCS countdown being called "Six's Countdown to Christmas", which would fit in with what we have been told of the schedule changes. Oddly when I google tonight I can only find references to "Seven's Countdown to Christmas".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Saw TV Now this morning. TV3 have I'm A Celebrity on Thursday and Friday along with Coronation Street and Emmerdale. UTV Ireland has the exact same programmes on.

Showing I'm A Celeb mid-series is a really odd one. But it does pull in ratings - and they hope they'll trickle down to Gogglebox.

The Examiner and the Mirror have picked up the story today, but don't give any further information. They are reporting that the ITV programmes will air simultaneously on TV3 and UTV Ireland but there's still nothing official and I get the impression they are relying on TV Now also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 iprinter

icdg wrote: »
    The Examiner and the Mirror have picked up the story today, but don't give any further information. They are reporting that the ITV programmes will air simultaneously on TV3 and UTV Ireland but there's still nothing official and I get the impression they are relying on TV Now also.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/tv3-are-shaking-their-listings-up-a-bit-765232.html

Examiner's link of the story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Was UTV Ireland the most pointless creation within the Irish TV space? Utterly devoid of any charm or decent original programming.

Was UTV Ireland the most pointless creation within the Irish TV space? Utterly devoid of any charm or decent original programming.

It really was. It'll be interesting to see what tv3 do with it considering they have 3e as well.

Merged threads

Also a general reminder of the policy on third party material. You may link to a story and post a short 1-2 line summary of the story. You cannot copy an entire story verbatim and you must include a link

dave98 wrote: »
    It really was. It'll be interesting to see what tv3 do with it considering they have 3e as well.

It wasn't the most pointless it was badly delivered as was TV3 during this period and we can see that it would be at all interesting to see what TV3 do with it because it looks like the have little imagination for it.

The best thing TV3 could have done would be to cross-promote both channels to let them see small increases before the move and to only move Coro St back to TV3 in the NY with cross-promotion taking place between all 3 stations.

TV3 don't have a history of getting above 10% of the audience by drop Coro St and Emmers from UTV Ireland in the new year TV3 will only see an increase to 10% with UTV Ireland seeing a decrease to 2% or less (12% versus 14%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I agree, it was pointless. I think when UTV Ireland were launching they messed up by calling it UTV Ireland. That name shouldnt have been allowed. So would I be right in guessing
    4.00 LIFE with S Mulcathy
    4.30 Judge Judy
    5.00 Judge Judy
    5.30 The 5.30 News
    6.00 The six o clock show
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Corrie
    Thats not half bad, when you have the likes of gogglebox, paramedics, champions league etc etc to add in. Interesting times ahead.
    As for 3e, well I always saw this as the repeat station for TV3. This would be a great opportunity for them to decide on their target audience.
    As for UTV Ireland, I dont hold out much hope for it to be honest

Yeah the name UTVI was a bad move, people (me anyway) anticipated that it would be similar to UTV NI with just a few tweaks like news etc.Maybe if it had been called something totally different it might have helped at the start - the lineup would still have been as bad but maybe people wouldnt have been comparing it to UTVNI as much. I actually like the 5.30 news on UTVI. I think its better done compared to TV3's.
    It would be a great opportunity to decide what to do with 3e. Maybe do the kids programmes in the morning then the rest of the day the imports and magazine shows like xpose? As for UTVI, its a tough one. They wont have the soaps or sports so really they would only have low audience outputs. If this was the case it would never be a huge success. Maybe one option would be to close it and use their slot on saorview as TV3+1? Or else use it as a 7 day catch up channel like the 4seven channel or My5 channel in the UK?

So TV3 finally break their silence - the soaps will be simulcast on both channels for the Thursday and Friday and will be dropped from UTV Ireland the following Monday.

It seems they're holding off announcing anything else about UTV until the sale closes, though they do make reference to operating as a three channel business.

https://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/entertainment-news/223563/Coronation-Street-and-Emmerdale-return-to-TV3

Thats good. I suppose it gives viewers the chance to get used to the change to TV3, for those setting series link/recording etc. Now we have a fair idea what TV3 is doing I would love to know what UTVI are doing. The TV guides I looked at (Digiguide.tv) still have soaps on UTVI and not emmerdale. I guess all will be revealed really soon.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    4.30 Judge Judy
    5.00 Judge Judy
    5.30 The 5.30 News
    6.00 The six o clock show
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Corrie
    Thats not half bad, when you have the likes of gogglebox, paramedics, champions league etc etc to add in. Interesting times ahead.

Same schedule they had 10 years ago the only difference is the six o'clock show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Thanks @icdg . Interesting to see what happens going forward with the UTV. I think they are to mention it on their 5.30 news tonight.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Thanks @icdg . Interesting to see what happens going forward with the UTV. I think they are to mention it on their 5.30 news tonight.

ireland live or the 5:30?

BTW just to show how pointless UTV Ireland was here's TV3's top twenty shows.

1 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 19:32 Mon 10.3 348
    2 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 19:31 Wed 8.9 298
    3 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 20:29 Mon 8.7 291
    4 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:01 Mon 8.1 271
    5 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 19:32 Fri 7.8 263
    6 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 20:30 Fri 7.6 256
    7 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:00 Thu 7.5 253
    8 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:01 Tue 7.1 238
    9 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 18:59 Wed 7 235
    10 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:00 Mon 6.9 232
    11 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 18:59 Fri 6.9 232
    12 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:00 Wed 6.8 230
    13 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 20:30 Thu 6.3 213
    14 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:02 Sun 6 200
    15 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:02 Fri 5.9 199
    16 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:02 Thu 5.7 193
    17 The X Factor: The Result TV3 20:00 Sun 5.3 179
    18 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:59 Thu 5.2 174
    19 The X Factor TV3 20:04 Sat 4.7 160
    20 Gogglebox Ireland TV3 22:01 Thu 4.1 137

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Elmo wrote: »

Can I have that sentence in English please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why have viewers not complained to TV3 about its failure to provide any news coverage at all on bank holidays and Saturday and Sunday evenings? Is Virgin Media Ireland not interested in providing an alternative to RTÉ for national news?

• Advertisement

SPDUB wrote: »
    Can I have that sentence in English please

Here is a list of last weeks top 20 shows. It shows that just 3 programmes from TV3 made the top twenty, while 17 came from UTV Ireland. Showing the popularity of UTV Ireland.

after that i will continue to WRITE as i please. thnaks. :cool:

Cool it both of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Elmo wrote: »

1 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 19:32 Mon 10.3 348
    2 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 19:31 Wed 8.9 298
    3 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 20:29 Mon 8.7 291
    4 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:01 Mon 8.1 271
    5 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 19:32 Fri 7.8 263
    6 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 20:30 Fri 7.6 256
    7 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:00 Thu 7.5 253
    8 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:01 Tue 7.1 238
    9 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 18:59 Wed 7 235
    10 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:00 Mon 6.9 232
    11 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 18:59 Fri 6.9 232
    12 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:00 Wed 6.8 230
    13 Coronation Street UTV IRELAND 20:30 Thu 6.3 213
    14 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:02 Sun 6 200
    15 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:02 Fri 5.9 199
    16 I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UTV IRELAND 21:02 Thu 5.7 193
    17 The X Factor: The Result TV3 20:00 Sun 5.3 179
    18 Emmerdale UTV IRELAND 19:59 Thu 5.2 174
    19 The X Factor TV3 20:04 Sat 4.7 160
    20 Gogglebox Ireland TV3 22:01 Thu 4.1 137

Exactly, TV3 probably couldn't believe their luck when they were bought out by virgin media, who then decided to buy utvi therefore gaining back ITV productions by default.
    Pure unadulterated Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Why have viewers not complained to TV3 about its failure to provide any news coverage at all on bank holidays and Saturday and Sunday evenings? Is Virgin Media Ireland not interested in providing an alternative to RTÉ for national news?

- As a small Country we are already saturated with News coverage.

From the Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/soaps-back-at-tv3-as-head-of-news-and-programming-departs-1.2878116

With Corry & Emmerdale back on TV3 so quickly after the sale completion, plus allowing for the continued existence of 3e, I can't see how UTVI will escape closure tbh.

Andrew Hanlon shown the door - Ruthless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

icdg wrote: »
    Cool it both of you

Are we not allowed to ask for an explanation now?

It's not the first time I have been puzzled by something Elmo posted just the first time I felt compelled to post about it

SPDUB wrote: »
    Are we not allowed to ask for an explanation now?

It's not the first time I have been puzzled by something Elmo posted just the first time I felt compelled to post about it

yes and I don't mind SPDUB, often I write off hand. Though I am puzzled as to the confusion

"just to show how pointless UTV Ireland was here's TV3's top twenty shows." - I was being ironic. is it a bad sentence! Prob.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - As a small Country we are already saturated with News coverage.

We are but not at the Weekend.

• Advertisement

RTE News Now, week in politics,agenda, oireachtas tv and people want even more - give me a break.

Advertisement