Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Delta2113 wrote: »
    RTE News Now, week in politics,agenda, oireachtas tv and people want even more - give me a break.

That's no reason for TV3 not to try providing an alternative news service on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. Surely, it could be done on a shoestring budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

That's no reason for TV3 not to try providing an alternative news service on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. Surely, it could be done on a shoestring budget.

They have the news service on both Saturday:AM and Sunday:AM. They also have reintroduced Agenda, which is a type of news/review show.
    The simple matter was TV3 would have rather placed their resources on weekday news - when the big news normally happens, instead of weekends - where it's more or less all about sport and international news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They will certainly have plenty of journalists as from next Thursday but even Utv Ireland didn't bother and they splashed the cash around. TV3 (Virgin Media/Liberty Global) will want value for money and if it doesn't make sense to have a weekend news service they just wont bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I doubth it would happen but with the very limited news content rte news now offers wouln'd it be a kick up the backside for RTE if Virgin Media turned either 3e Or UTVI into a decent news channel. Wasn't there something in one of the newspapers last year that TV3 were mulling over the idea of launching a news channel.

I doubth it would happen but with the very limited news content rte news now offers wouln'd it be a kick up the backside for RTE if Virgin Media turned either 3e Or UTVI into a decent news channel. Wasn't there something in one of the newspapers last year that TV3 were mulling over the idea of launching a news channel.

The lack of space to have one would limit any news channel. They have the HD studios and their main studio in the old building. I feel another news channel would be pointless. There were ideas of channels like old Irish Movies or Kids channels too floated around.

They really need to refocus on TV3 and give 3e a decent identity and not a repeats channel that shows 3 episodes of Tipping Point daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Country is too small for a dedicated news channel - RTE News Now kind off proves that however it could be much better with a few minor changes.

It's expensive - even Itv gave up on it. As I mentioned before 3E needs major,major surgery if it's too target RTE2.

Bet TV3 would love to get Neighbours and Home and Away when contract is next up.

iseegirls wrote: »
    The lack of space to have one would limit any news channel. They have the HD studios and their main studio in the old building. I feel another news channel would be pointless. There were ideas of channels like old Irish Movies or Kids channels too floated around.

They really need to refocus on TV3 and give 3e a decent identity and not a repeats channel that shows 3 episodes of Tipping Point daily.
    I know setting up a news channel can be very expensive but I think if they but the put some resources into creating at most a partime news channel with the likes of Tonight with vincent brown
    and maybe Pat Kenny on it and link up with maybe CNN or CBS for an hour or two to fill the schedule. I know Vincent Brown and Pat Kenny pull in some decent figures for TV3 but with all the extra content they have they could fill the gap no prop.

I know setting up a news channel can be very expensive but I think if they but the put some resources into creating at most a partime news channel with the likes of Tonight with vincent brown
    and maybe Pat Kenny on it and link up with maybe CNN or CBS for an hour or two to fill the schedule. I know Vincent Brown and Pat Kenny pull in some decent figures for TV3 but with all the extra content they have they could fill the gap no prop.

They might keep UTV Ireland for the ITV Studios content such as dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

zorro2566 wrote: »
    They might keep UTV Ireland for the ITV Studios content such as dramas.

I was thinking that as well. Them and the chat shows - loose women, Jeremy kyle, this morning etc. I notice UTVI have loose women repeated some nights now after the nightly news. Seems such a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

dave98 wrote: »
    I was thinking that as well. Them and the chat shows - loose women, Jeremy kyle, this morning etc. I notice UTVI have loose women repeated some nights now after the nightly news. Seems such a waste.
    The problem showing these ITV productions is that it shows up the mediocre copies that TV3 make such as Midday, 7 oclock show. Low budget piffle

It does BUT they will want to make UTVI successful as well. TV3 will be the main station but they will still want 3e and UTVI to succeed.

Why did the government bother with a licence for an independent terrestrial TV channel in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Why did the government bother with a licence for an independent terrestrial TV channel in the first place?

as the irish people continue to pay it. They tried to introduce on in the USA in 1978 and there was a mass protest and to this day there is still no tv license fee in usa

Proper order

steveon wrote: »
    as the irish people continue to pay it. They tried to introduce on in the USA in 1978 and there was a mass protest and to this day there is still no tv license fee in usa

I think the question refers to a broadcasting license granted to TV3 as opposed to an actual license for having a tv set.

steveon wrote: »

I wasn't talking about the licence fee - I was talking about the licence issued by the government for TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I wasn't talking about the licence fee - I was talking about the licence issued by the government for TV3.

The Licence is a historical issues when broadcasting was the only means of mass communication.

Ireland like many European countries had a monopoly with other bigger countries having both a public and a private broadcaster.

Remember broadcast was limited in analogue as to how many channels could be many available. General European countries kept it to about 4 channels (in our case RTE 1, 2, TV3 and TG4) and our nearest neighbour bbc 1, 2, ITV and Channel4) though later Channel 5 in the UK.

In the US they tended to have the Big 3 affiliates, a local independent, a local PSB channel and later Fox, UPN, CW affiliates.

Newstalk have said TV3 will be a 3 channel service no plans to drop UTV Ireland they will announce new shows for 5th dec

• Advertisement

Just seen digiguide's update for week beginning 5th Dec. They will now have FOUR episodes of tipping point from 3pm-7pm. And another one later after midnight, making it 5 over a whole day. And 6 if you include TV3's 1pm showing.

Such lazy lazy scheduling. I could see UTV Ireland's schedule going the same way in the New Year - with multiple back to back episodes of The Jeremy Kyle Show, The Chase and others.

Just seen digiguide's update for week beginning 5th Dec. They will now have FOUR episodes of tipping point from 3pm-7pm. And another one later after midnight, making it 5 over a whole day. And 6 if you include TV3's 1pm showing.

Such lazy lazy scheduling. I could see UTV Ireland's schedule going the same way in the New Year - with multiple back to back episodes of The Jeremy Kyle Show, The Chase and others.

Madness! They could do better especially with the ITV studio content available to them.ITV have enough content to cover ITV 1,2,3,4,Be,CITV & Encore so TV3/UTVI have no excuse really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

It should be taken off them. They've abused it in relation to bidding for Irish terrestrial rights. They have the six nations, and are broadcasting it encrypted on HD on Subscription Sky TV HD package. How did that happen? A loophole in the licence allows them to satisfy their terrestial requirement by broadcasting a blurry sub SD image on terrestrial TV, despite having being government aided for the HD equipment in their studios. The licence needs to be re-visited. There is no chance of them peddling such a national treasure as our rugby coverage to Sky is they could not prevent free to air HD Terrestrial broadcast. The HD terrestrial broadcast rights should be sold on a FTA basis, let TV3 bid for the UK HD rights on Sky HD if they wish. Fortunatley the matches will still be FTA on UK National broadcast in HD, albeit without Irish commentary. It is not a good trend.

Madness! They could do better especially with the ITV studio content available to them.ITV have enough content to cover ITV 1,2,3,4,Be,CITV & Encore so TV3/UTVI have no excuse really.

I'd say the ITV Studio content will be spread across properly in the New Year.

3e inherited a lot of decent shows from Channel 6 at the time they bought it - some older but classic American TV shows like Buffy, Charmed, The OC, Trailer Park Boys, Sunny In Philadelphia, My Name is Earl along with Irish shows especially in music with Night Shift. They had some British TV there with The Royal Family, Mighty Boosh and the Fast Show. 3e now is just a dumping ground of TV3 repeats, it has literally no relevance to what it's target audience should have been.

A repeat of 3 hours of Ireland:AM - where areas like traffic news has no relevance at that stage along 5 hours of Tipping Point.

Series 3 of Tipping Point has been shown a combined total of 24 times on 3e and TV3 since June 2014.

I'd say if you asked any executive in there to list the prime time shows on 3e for the full week, they'd fail to tell you one.

I wonder if UTVI will carry on showing Good Morning Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I wonder if UTVI will carry on showing Good Morning Britain?

It's hard to say. It would be competition for its own breakfast show but there would be plenty of complaints if it wasn't available from Virgin Media land. Tv3 have plenty of current and archive itv productions to fill 3 channels plus their other home grown and foreign programs. But I fear lazy scheduling will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

What's the story with ITV News at 10 on Friday Dec 2nd ? It's listed in the RTÉ Guide and the TV Now magazine also. Does anyone know if it's a mistake or is it listed for the following week also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so it looks like that with 3 channels they are gonna fill them with even more repeats.

so it looks like that with 3 channels they are gonna fill them with even more repeats.
    I actually thought with Virgin Media taking over TV3,3e and now UTVI they would try and target different audiences like having TV3 as the main channel showing sports, current affairs, news, soaps and the top ITV studios content. I also thought they would try and target RTE2 by rebranding 3e maybe instead of showing Ireland am reapeats and game show repeats buy in some content from the likes of Australia, Canada, and the USA. There is lots of content out there that would fill the day time schedule and in the primetime slot throw in a few movies. As for UTVI I think they could show a lot of old ITV Studio and some old American dramas.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/tv3-losses-double-despite-rugby-world-cup-revenue-35243639.html
    Exclusive rights to broadcasting the 2015 Rugby World Cup failed to halt a slide in pre-tax losses that more than doubled to €16.95m.

what a pointless channel right!

Advertisement