Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

galtee boy wrote: »
    I disagree that TV3 HD on Saorview wouldn't increase audiences and indeed UTVI HD, now that it's owned by TV3/Virgin. In our house, all ITV programming that is available on these channels, is watched using ITV HD via Freesat and surely we're not the only ones doing this. We would use Saorview more if they were available in HD on it. But I can't see it happening anytime soon, the broadcasters see pay tv platforms as the priority and Saorview as some kind of poor mans system that nobody really uses only for kitchen and maybe bedroom TVs.

Same here. TV3 takes over the Six Nations rugby in 2018. People with Freesat/FTA satellite, but not pay tv, won't watch the coverage in vastly inferior SD on TV3, if say, they had been watching in HD on RTE before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Same here. TV3 takes over the Six Nations rugby in 2018. People with Freesat/FTA satellite, but not pay tv, won't watch the coverage in vastly inferior SD on TV3, if say, they had been watching in HD on RTE before that.

Instead we will be watching on BBC HD and ITV HD. It's beyond ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the audience really have lost out with the take over of UTV Ireland

Monday Night

7pm TV3/ITV - Emmerdale
    UTVI - The Zoo
    7:30 TV3/ITV - Coro St
    UTV - The Zoo
    8pm TV3 - Xpose
    ITV - The Money Show
    UTVI - Airport at Knock
    8:30 - Coro St
    UTVI - Bargain Shop Wars
    9pm TV3 - The Big Quiz (emmer v coro)
    ITV - BritICON robbie
    UTVI - Where are they now?
    10pm - Can't Pay Christmas
    ITV - BritICON robbie
    UTVI - Ireland Live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

All 3 schedules are a mess at the moment - between TV3, 3e and UTV Ireland.

Next week, Xpose will be on Mon,Wed & Fri at 8pm, and Thurs at 7.30pm. None on Tue with CL football, butI'd presume that it would be 7.30. How their current audience would react to this, or follow it will be interesting.
    Why they couldn't leave Xpose as is, and have TSOCS go to a half hour slot at 6:30.

Unsure if The Pulse is on UTV Ire Friday week. TV Now for next week has Corrie and Emmerdale still in the schedules, so it's unclear whether it will go up against XPOSE. The Zoo and Bargain Shop Wars are such weak programmes to show. Is this just a sign of things to come?

3e's schedule changed slightly with News @ 8 arriving at the channel, moving a few episodes of Bondi Rescue. Their 8.30 repeat of Xpose is gone.The build up to the CL match on Tuesday is now on 3e.

Weekend repeats of home produced shows like Paul Williams, Gogglebox and Ireland's Paramedics have been pushed out till past midnight for I'm A Celeb and I'm A Celeb Extra Camp. Which illustrates how little faith they have in these home grown shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Elmo wrote: »
    I think the audience really have lost out with the take over of UTV Ireland

Monday Night

7pm TV3/ITV - Emmerdale
    UTVI - The Zoo
    7:30 TV3/ITV - Coro St
    UTV - The Zoo
    8pm TV3 - Xpose
    ITV - The Money Show
    UTVI - Airport at Knock
    8:30 - Coro St
    UTVI - Bargain Shop Wars
    9pm TV3 - The Big Quiz (emmer v coro)
    ITV - BritICON robbie
    UTVI - Where are they now?
    10pm - Can't Pay Christmas
    ITV - BritICON robbie
    UTVI - Ireland Live
    I think most of us can agree that TV3 is going to get the best and most popular of the content available which is understandable as it's the main channel of the three. I was thinking because it's so close to xmas Virgin Media would moast likely leave the scheduling and possible rebranding of 3e and UTVI until the new year. Going by that schedule I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

I think most of us can agree that TV3 is going to get the best and most popular of the content available which is understandable as it's the main channel of the three. I was thinking because it's so close to xmas Virgin Media would moast likely leave the scheduling and possible rebranding of 3e and UTVI until the new year. Going by that schedule I'm not holding my breath.

That is true but they don't seem to be doing anything with ITV after 9pm schedule.

Elmo wrote: »
    That is true but they don't seem to be doing anything with ITV after 9pm schedule.
    I suppose having to much of a good thing can sometimes cause head aches by that I mean here you have three channels that most likely will be filled with ITV Studios content whether it be up to date or classic content. Is it possible Virgin Media might be thinking to much conent from the one provider spread accross three channels might turn viewers away from mainly 3e and UTVI and also take away from any home grown content as the irish viewer like irish content.

Relying on ITV Studios content didn't work for UTV Ireland so TV3 would be foolish to try it again.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Relying on ITV Studios content didn't work for UTV Ireland so TV3 would be foolish to try it again.
    The problem for TV3 is most irish people can access ITV Studios cotent for free and in HD if the have a satellite dish so all is left is the viewer who has Saorview and TV3 don't seem to care about that audience. I don't know what the figures are for people who have Saorview only boxes but I'm almost sure it must be in the range of five to six hundred thousand and that's not a bad number to tap into if they launched at least TV3 in HD on Saorview and see how that pans out.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The problem for TV3 is most irish people can access ITV Studios cotent for free and in HD if the have a satellite dish so all is left is the viewer who has Saorview and TV3 don't seem to care about that audience. I don't know what the figures are for people who have Saorview only boxes but I'm almost sure it must be in the range of five to six hundred thousand and that's not a bad number to tap into if they launched at least TV3 in HD on Saorview and see how that pans out.

• Advertisement

I'd be one of those people who watch ITV on satellite for the content I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

You forgot about Virgin Media viewers.

I am not suggesting that TV3 rely on ITV studios but their doesn't seem to be much on across the 3 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Do you think they care about the sky audience also? They just care about how much money they can make from advertising and doing it as cheap as possible. Saorview HD is too expensive for them

I've an idea about the problem of TV3 (and TG4) not be available on Saorview:

Lobby your TDs to have the law changed so that 2RN can reduce the transmission costs for TV3 and TG4 so that they can afford to be in HD on Saorview.

Surely, giving TV3 preferential treatment in terms of transmission costs could be justified on the grounds that its income is limited due to the fact that RTÉ gets commercial income as well as the majority of the licence fee. Maybe an obligation on TV3 to have a medium-length evening news bulletin (10 or 15 minutes, perhaps) on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays and more documentaries could serve as a quid pro quo for reduced transmission costs for TV3.

TV3 isn't doing itself any favours by not retiring Vin B. Sure, tonight, he mistakenly referred to the murdered Irish prison officer as Brian "Shaw" at the start of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Surely, giving TV3 preferential treatment in terms of transmission costs could be justified on the grounds that its income is limited due to the fact that RTÉ gets commercial income as well as the majority of the licence fee.
    Lets not forget TV3 are now owned by a global media company with revenues of $18.3bn last year. So we give them a cheap ride while our own broadcasters cover the extra cost. The term FRAND comes to mind, Fair Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory, I think TV3 have used this term previously in relation to transmission charges. That's why a regulated tariff structure was put in place.

The Cush wrote: »
    Lets not forget TV3 are now owned by a global media company with revenues of $18.3bn last year. So we give them a cheap ride while our own broadcasters cover the extra cost. The term FRAND comes to mind, Fair Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory, I think TV3 have used this term previously in relation to transmission charges. That's why a regulated tariff structure was put in place.

TV3 can't force Liberty Global to give it more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Pokemon Battle

Utv Irelands viewership numbers will be going off a cliff from next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TV3 can't force Liberty Global to give it more money.

TV3 is a subsidiary company, it's up to Liberty to fund it as required. They benefited quite nicely, many tens of millions of euro in intercompany loans from previous owner Doughty Hanson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I've an idea about the problem of TV3 (and TG4) not be available on Saorview:

Lobby your TDs to have the law changed so that 2RN can reduce the transmission costs for TV3 and TG4 so that they can afford to be in HD on Saorview.

Surely, giving TV3 preferential treatment in terms of transmission costs could be justified on the grounds that its income is limited due to the fact that RTÉ gets commercial income as well as the majority of the licence fee. Maybe an obligation on TV3 to have a medium-length evening news bulletin (10 or 15 minutes, perhaps) on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays and more documentaries could serve as a quid pro quo for reduced transmission costs for TV3.

That wouldn't work. Should be the same for everyone. TV3 would riot if RTÉ gave its self preferential treatment at the expense of it. RTÉ does lots of things that no commercial broadcaster would do. That said it's not the most efficient user of its money. Massive salaries for its "stars" for example.

medoc wrote: »
    That wouldn't work. Should be the same for everyone. TV3 would riot if RTÉ gave its self preferential treatment at the expense of it. RTÉ does lots of things that no commercial broadcaster would do. That said it's not the most efficient user of its money. Massive salaries for its "stars" for example.

Mmm, I wonder what Pat kenny is getting at tv3, dont think it would be peanuts

medoc wrote: »

TV3 would argue that RTÉ already gets preferential treatment by getting most of the licence fee and also advertising.

I'm not defending TV3; I'm playing devil's advocate.

TV3 would argue that RTÉ already gets preferential treatment by getting most of the licence fee and also advertising.

But then TV3 didn't have to show and organise all the 1916 live programs, cover the cheapo GAA games, olympics and the soccer league some of which have tiny viewerships. Same as TG4 showing GAA, hardly any ratings there.
    I cant see TV3 bidding to do that.
    As the national broadcaster RTE are stuck between the 'devil and the deep blue sea'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

But then TV3 didn't have to show and organise all the 1916 live programs, cover the cheapo GAA games, olympics and the soccer league some of which have tiny viewerships. Same as TG4 showing GAA, hardly any ratings there.
    I cant see TV3 bidding to do that.
    As the national broadcaster RTE are stuck between the 'devil and the deep blue sea'

TG4 get decent ratings for the GAA matches, pretty sure they are the most viewed shows on the channel. TV3 should look to get involved in the March/April League matches.

RTE do get stick, especially for some sporting events. When Ireland bet NZ in Chicago - they were lambasted by viewers for not having it live. But the reality was, that Eir Sports got the rights to it (probably paying more money)

Fair point. But RTÉ make programs that would not survive on advertising alone. They also cover national events which probably cost more to do than they make on advertising during those. Archives, national orchestras. If they had no commercial income how much more would the licence fee be to do the above? Drop the "popular" imports and concentrate on purely public service and Irish alone might save money maybe.

I'm not defending RTÉ either lol.

Mmm, I wonder what Pat kenny is getting at tv3, dont think it would be peanuts

I doubt he is on minimum wage either. But it was TV3's decision to hire him on that money. As is RTÉ's with their over paid top talent.

Do you think they care about the sky audience also? They just care about how much money they can make from advertising and doing it as cheap as possible. Saorview HD is too expensive for them
    Yes Saorview is expensive but having said that it has a strong audience base that should not be ignored when it comes to offering the best content in HD. I know it's about profit but the fact of the matter is Saorview is another platform that could offer extra advertising revenue to TV3 if they went HD. I know buisness is about taking risks but I think it's about time TV3 took this one and but TV3 HD on Saorview and see if it can increase their advertising revenue.

iseegirls wrote: »
    TG4 get decent ratings for the GAA matches, pretty sure they are the most viewed shows on the channel. TV3 should look to get involved in the March/April League matches.

RTE do get stick, especially for some sporting events. When Ireland bet NZ in Chicago - they were lambasted by viewers for not having it live. But the reality was, that Eir Sports got the rights to it (probably paying more money)
    I must say TV3 could take a leaf out of TG4 book. Looking at their schedule most of it is broadcast in HD and the sports coverage is excellent. Whoever is behind the running of the channel should get a pat on the back because they could show TV3 a thing or two about running a TV3 channel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

All that is required is for the Minister to change the minimum spec of broadcasting from 540 by 576i to 720 by 576i and require a minimum bandwidth be used. This would not change the costs for the SD broadcasters by much but would improve PQ hugely.

The Dublin media (including all of RTE) and the politicians do not watch Saorview. I doubt if they even know what it is. How else can you explain the total ignorance concerning RTE News Now and Oreachtas TV?

Advertisement