Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone predicted it would all go down this badly.

I think we have been saying all of that for the last 2 years about both TV3 and UTV Ireland both made a dogs dinner and TV3 seem set to continue to do so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BE3, what a brutal name, no imagination.

Also with TV3 now owned by a very powerful and large company, you would think they would do an entire make over of their logo and all 3 branded advertisements. They look and feel of 3 is almost as bad as the old UTV, they really need to totally modernize their branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Elmo wrote: »
    I think we have been saying all of that for the last 2 years about both TV3 and UTV Ireland both made a dogs dinner and TV3 seem set to continue to do so.
    It's as simple as this if TV3 don't change their buisness structure and promote TV3 as say a package of three channels offering a variety of content that suits all types of audiences and continue to make a hames of everything they touch I think we will be lucky to have a TV3 only channel in this country in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's as simple as this if TV3 don't change their buisness structure and promote TV3 as say a package of three channels offering a variety of content that suits all types of audiences and continue to make a hames of everything they touch I think we will be lucky to have a TV3 only channel in this country in the next few years.

That's the kind of luck I can live with

:rolleyes:

Gonzo wrote: »
    BE3, what a brutal name, no imagination.

Also with TV3 now owned by a very powerful and large company, you would think they would do an entire make over of their logo and all 3 branded advertisements. They look and feel of 3 is almost as bad as the old UTV, they really need to totally modernize their branding.
    Yes a complete new make over is needed. They should advertise the three channels as a entertainment package offering kids, dramas, sports and movies. Personally I can't see a major rebrand happening especially if the same people who agreed on the current branding are still there. Big changes need to be made and with a name like BE3 or wharever they are going to call it imagination and creative thinking still seem to be lacking.

• Advertisement

I doubth it would ever happen and for the viewer it would be less choice especially for those who watch on Saorview.

I doubth it would ever happen and for the viewer it would be less choice especially for those who watch on Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

At least it's not UT3

They could call it Virgin something ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

At least it's not UT3

They could call it Virgin something ..

they are obsessed about using 3 and sticking some letters either side of it to see what works out best.

TV3 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    5:30 News News News News News
    6:00 Six Show Six Show Six Show Six Show Six Show
    6:30 Six Show Six Show Six Show Six Show Six Show
    7:00 Emmerdale Emmerdale Emmerdale Emmerdale Emmerdale
    7:30 Coro Champions Coro Xpose Coro
    8:00 Xpose Champions Xpose Emmerdale Xpose
    8:30 Coro Champions Paramedics Coro Coro
    9:00 The Big Quiz Champions Paramedics IACGMOH Mr & Mrs Smith
    9:30 The Big Quiz Champions Tonight IACGMOH Mr & Mrs Smith
    10:00 Can't Pay Champions Tonight Gogglebox Mr & Mrs Smith
    10:30 Can't Pay Champions SVU Gogglebox Mr & Mrs Smith
    11:00 Tonight Tonight SVU Tonight Mr & Mrs Smith
    11:30 Tonight Tonight GUBU Tonight Eraser

3e Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    5:30 Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point
    6:00 Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point
    6:30 Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point Tipping Point
    7:00 Toy Show Champions Animal A&E Uploaded Dog Tales
    7:30 Ready For Take Off Bondi Rescue Bondi Rescue Bondi Rescue Uploaded
    8:00 News News News News News
    8:30 Uploaded Bondi Rescue Bondi Rescue Bondi Rescue Uploaded
    9:00 Punished The Ugly Truth Jonathan Ross Living with Lucy Celebrity Juice
    9:30 Punished The Ugly Truth Jonathan Ross Living with Lucy Celebrity Juice
    10:00 Embarrassing Bodies The Ugly Truth The International Life Stories IACGMOH
    10:30 Embarrassing Bodies The Ugly Truth The International Life Stories IACGMOH
    11:00 Black Hawk Down UFC The International Embarrassing Bodies Through the Keyhole
    11:30 Black Hawk Down UFC The International Embarrassing Bodies Through the Keyhole

B3 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    5:30 News News News News News
    6:00 The Chase The Chase The Chase The Chase The Chase
    6:30 The Chase The Chase The Chase The Chase The Chase
    7:00 The Zoo The Zoo The Zoo Big Box Big Box
    7:30 The Zoo The Zoo The Zoo Along Home Britain's Busiest Airport
    8:00 Knock Airport The Queen at 90 Secrets of Growing Old Britain's Busiest Airport Britain's Busiest Airport
    8:30 Bargain Shop The Queen at 90 Secrets of Growing Old Britain's Busiest Airport The Pulse
    9:00 Where are they now The Queen at 90 In Plain Sight The Wireless Ball and Boe
    9:30 Where are they now The Queen at 90 In Plain Sight The Wireless Ball and Boe
    10:00 News News News News News
    10:30 Paul O'Grady Graham Norton Pacific Heights Davina McCall Killer Women
    11:00 Paul O'Grady Graham Norton Pacific Heights Davina McCall Killer Women
    11:30 Loose Women Loose Women Pacific Heights Loose Women Loose Women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

3e and UTV offer nothing. So they aren't providing choice.
    I use Soarview and its extremely rare I find anything of interest on either.
    A consolidated sole TV3 channel would be a far better prospect in my view.

They may not be offering much choice but but I bet many people who have Saorview as their tv provider would rather have them stay on the platform rather than disappear.

They may not be offering much choice but I bet many people who have Saorview as their tv provider would rather have them stay on the platform rather than disappear.

ITV Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    5:30 See B3 See B3 See B3 See B3 See B3
    6:00 News News News News News
    6:30 News News News News News
    7:00 See TV3 See TV3 See TV3 See TV3 See TV3
    7:30 See TV3 River Monsters See TV3 British Pub See TV3
    8:00 The Money Show See B3 IACGMOH See TV3 Countrywise
    8:30 See TV3 See B3 IACGMOH See TV3 See TV3
    9:00 Robbie Williams See B3 See B3 Extraordinary Weddings See B3
    9:30 Robbie Williams See B3 See B3 Extraordinary Weddings See B3
    10:00 Robbie Williams News News News News
    10:30 News News News News News
    11:00 News War with china See TV3 Tuesday 10pm See TV3 Tuesday 10pm Junior
    11:30 Feirce War with china See TV3 Tuesday 10pm See TV3 Tuesday 10pm Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

UTV Ireland one of if not the worst channel launches in Ireland or UK? Surely up there anyway!

irishfeen wrote: »
    UTV Ireland one of if not the worst channel launches in Ireland or UK? Surely up there anyway!
    Wouln'd be hard in ireland as we don't get many new channel launches because of the small tv market. The UK many a channel came and went quickly but the launch and the demise of UTVI most rank amognst the most short lived channels ever launched in the brittish isles.

irishfeen wrote: »

No plenty of Irish TVs on Satellite and Movies for Men type channels.

Wouln'd be hard in ireland as we don't get many new channel launches because of the small tv market. The UK many a channel came and went quickly but the launch and the demise of UTVI most rank amognst the most short lived channels ever launched in the brittish isles.

I think Channel 6 beats it no?

No plenty of Irish TVs on Satellite and Movies for Men type channels.
    Yes but given the content they had available to them ... ITV Soaps, ITV content etc

I think Channel 6 was 2006 to 2009 befoe TV3 took it over and rebranded it to 3e I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement

I think Channel 6 was 2006 to 2009 befoe TV3 took it over and rebranded it to 3e I'm open to correction on that.

True March 06 to Sept 08 or so, rebranded in 09. still a longer time.

TBH UTV Ireland was far better than 3e, though its not hard.

I presume TV3 will move their second HD channel to 105 on sky now - be that 3e or UTVI (or new name)... it would be ridiculous not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The TV3 Toy Show Teaser was awful this year. Not enough toys were shown throughout the whole half an hour.

Even the kids choir had a chance to sing a song before it finished but they were cut off to an ad break before I'm a Celebrity out of here had started.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Has anyone compared the soaps or I'm a celebrity while they are sumulcasted? The Sky EPG has them flagged as HD on UTVI HD but not on TV3 HD. Are they actually HD on TV3?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Still think Channel 6 was a better channel name than 3e.

medoc wrote: »
    Has anyone compared the soaps or I'm a celebrity while they are sumulcasted? The Sky EPG has them flagged as HD on UTVI HD but not on TV3 HD. Are they actually HD on TV3?

Are there subtitles on the soaps on TV3 as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

British Isles is a geographical term and we are meant to steer clear of Politics.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed we do, but we also dont backseat moderate. As long as no one else seeks to debate that term we'll let it go, otherwise it could lead to absurdities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I would doubt they'll be much trace of UTV as a brand in a few years in any shape or form. ITV are very unlikely to really hold onto the brand in NI once they get over the initial hurdle of phasing it out.

It's a sad end to a venerable and very old Irish broadcaster.

UTV was also one of those NI companies who bridged the border over the decades and were always very progressive about covering things in a borderless way and also took a very pragmatic approach to being a serious broadcaster in both jurisdictions.

It's a shame to see them just fizzle away into the list if defunct ITV affiliates.

Advertisement