Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

medoc wrote: »
    Are they actually HD on TV3?

Do they look HD? I do not have Sky HD so I cannot comment. The Sky EPG isn't accurate with some channels for flagging HD content. I recall people here swearing blind that RTÉ wasn't showing HD content because the EPG said so. Anyone with working eyes could see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

lertsnim wrote: »
    Do they look HD? I do not have Sky HD so I cannot comment. The Sky EPG isn't accurate with some channels for flagging HD content. I recall people here swearing blind that RTÉ wasn't showing HD content because the EPG said so. Anyone with working eyes could see the difference.

I can't say as I don't have the HD Sub at the moment hence I asked. Yes the sky EPG wasn't accurate re RTÉ HD in the early days. I was one of the people who got on to sky about it at the time. RTÉ seem to on the ball these days re EPG info. So it could easily be just not flagged correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

@GreenFolder2 - you must never have watched the weather on Utv NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I would doubt they'll be much trace of UTV as a brand in a few years in any shape or form. ITV are very unlikely to really hold onto the brand in NI once they get over the initial hurdle of phasing it out.

It's a sad end to a venerable and very old Irish broadcaster.

UTV was also one of those NI companies who bridged the border over the decades and were always very progressive about covering things in a borderless way and also took a very pragmatic approach to being a serious broadcaster in both jurisdictions.

It's a shame to see them just fizzle away into the list if defunct ITV affiliates.
    I remenber when some of the continuity announcers from UTV would come down to Donnybrook and do the continuity announcing on RTE ONE and the RTE announcers would go up to UTV. I remember seen the great Julian simmons a few times. I think at the time it had something do with what you posted bridgeing the gap between north and south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Delta2113 wrote: »
    @GreenFolder2 - you must never have watched the weather on Utv NI.

That's for legal reasons though apparently. If you've only licenced weather information for a specific area you'd be making it up for the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭StreetLight

"New UTV Ireland name could be B3"

From the Irish Independent:

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/new-utv-ireland-name-could-be-b3-35261604.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

"New UTV Ireland name could be B3"

From the Irish Independent:

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/new-utv-ireland-name-could-be-b3-35261604.html

Where were you yesterday? :P:D

Could be Chinese Whispers in the Indo office. Some of us believe it may be called Be 3, instead of B3. If it is indeed B3, then I'll be intrigued as to what the B means.

Which would leave us with:
    TV3
    3e with 3Kids
    B3/Be 3

I think their 3e's adult section should be called 3Sum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

B3 ... Jesus its terrible like :)

As I said before - they don't need to keep the channel names to two letters.. Simple solution would be;

103. 3 Ireland
    105. 3 Entertainment
    116. 3 Family
    117. 3 Ireland +1

It just makes me think 3 Be jaysus or Be Jaysus it's 3..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would be very surprised that B3 had become a channel solely for a female audience here in Ireland.

I think that the female TV content supplied on it would be a combination from both the ITVBe channel & TV3 such as Xpose, Ellen DeGenres Show & Midday. They currently don't have a lot of new content that caters for a female audience so that idea could never work because TV3 have of a lack of it themselves. TV3 could only show, if they weren't committed enough to make programmes for a female audience, is multiple repeats of their content tied in with ITVBe's catalouge.

B3 could stand for Brit3 if it showed British shows from ITV to enhance the look of UTVI on Saorview, Virgin & Eir.

• Advertisement

No way does the B stand for Brit and I have my doubts the name is correct.

So basically after the big song and dance about Coronation St and Emmerdale going back on TV3 they are repeated at 10.30PM on Utv Ireland.

I hope this is short term but the longer it goes on some people will become accustomed to it and would not be very happy if it's pulled from schedule at a later date.

Maybe they should just do a Corrie & Emmerdale Channel 24/7.

I'd have my doubts that it will last.

I'd say you'll find it'll just be a time shifted version of TV3 or something cheap and cheerful until the BAI contract runs out and they will likely abandon it.

I can't see TV3 having enough programming to fill 3 channels tbh.

They obviously wanted those soaps back very badly and weren't going to allow the channel to end up in the hands of a competitor.

TV3 Sport might be a use for it as the network has more sports rights.

Let's face it, had UTV Ireland had enough time to develop, it would have grown into a serious competitor. You can't create a commercially successful tv operation in a year. It's impossible and the channel was killed by its parent's sale, not by its own operations.

Typically you'd expect a new channel to sink a loss for a few years as it builds audience and starts to turn a profit. It never got that time.

ITV doesn't seem to have much interest in anything other than consolidation into a single entity and focusing on UK operations.

I don't see a very rosey future for ITV as their market share is continuing to slip even though their profits were up slightly. ITV1 is on nearly record low share audience.

I would almost put money on ITV being bought out by a global player in 2017.

It would be kind of funny if they end up being owned by Liberty Global (already owns nearly 10% of itv)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

Could they use one of the channels as a dedicated movie channel? Something along the lines of Film4 maybe? That could be great. Rather than something filled with reruns of crap

sonic85 wrote: »
    Could they use one of the channels as a dedicated movie channel? Something along the lines of Film4 maybe? That could be great. Rather than something filled with reruns of crap
    Ironically in terms of viewership that would mean a reduction in all likelihood - sky EPG rules would mean the channel would have to move to the 300's if they made it a movie channel.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ironically in terms of viewership that would mean a reduction in all likelihood - sky EPG rules would mean the channel would have to move to the 300's if they made it a movie channel.

Ah yeah it's just from a personal point of view I don't really watch any of the 5 Irish channels anymore - except maybe when there's a movie on. A dedicated movie channel - depending on what they were showing of course would be good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

doubledown wrote: »

Now Be Good with your comments forum members:D

Just a terrible name for a tv channel..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 iprinter

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/a-z/1/

TV3's overall content is very poor

where is family guy and american dad on tv3's catch up on their player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

It sounds and looks like the rebrand was done by one of Alan Sugars teams on the Apprentice. Terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PushUpPDawg

A rebrand!!! I never thought I'd live to see the day it's been long overdue! The 3 channel identities do look well side by side I must say especially 3e

https://twitter.com/colette_sexton/status/806122532940161024

"TV3 will be the station for grown ups. 3E will be the fun entertainment channel. Be3 is for female focused and kids programming"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

3e is especially overdue, given they've been using the same awful idents for almost eight years now.

Female focused? So will Midday Expose and all that sh1te be moved over? And if so will there be "male focused" programming replacing them?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wonder how many grown ups love watching a blurry mess on Saorview. No plans for HD?

I had sneaky feeling UTVI would rebrand in to a female skewered channel. I said it in one of my earlier posts. I wonder what will fill the 3kids slot on 3e? I can't wait to see the full schedule of all three channels. I hope they offer something new and refreshing and less repeats.

Female focused? So will Midday Expose and all that sh1te be moved over? And if so will there be "male focused" programming replacing them?

From the Indo:
    "In a statement the group revealed that TV3 will be the group's "flagship channel" focusing premium Irish content and the "best of acquired programming".

3e will be the exclusive home of Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother while the newly formed be3 "will give viewers a second chance to see their favourite soaps".
    The statement continues: "be3 will be home to popular programmes such as Midsomer Murders, Loose Women and Benidorm."

Looks like Loose Women will remain. I'd say Midday will stay on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Kids programmes are moving to be3. New logos for the 3 stations.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking the same for some reason tv companies seem to focus on launching female themed channels and I'm sure there is a market for a male themed channel or even a couple of hours a day of male themed programmes.

Advertisement