Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

They have the opportunity to make a real success of this, having 3 stations, all the ITV shows, lots of money, but you just know that the will make a complete mess of it...... Turning UTV Ireland into a female orientated station is daft, just make 3 quality stations that offer something to everybody, this looks to me like Virgin bought UTV so that they could have a lions share of the Irish advertising market, this is certainly not about making quality TV stations...... For a start the UTV Ireland news staff and show is much superior to TV3,s effort,

lertsnim wrote: »
    So Be 3 will be a copy of the awful ITV Be? I'd rather they dropped it from Saorview and made TV3 HD instead.

Be3 will occupy Sky channel 116, currently broadcasting UTVI in HD. I'm guessing it will go to SD. Surprised if it were otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I take it the real UTV will return on the back of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Gone forever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Be3 will occupy Sky channel 116, currently broadcasting UTVI in HD. I'm guessing it will go to SD. Surprised if it were otherwise.
    Have TV3 confirmed this?

• Advertisement

TV3 will never let this happen now!

irishfeen wrote: »
    Have TV3 confirmed this?

https://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/entertainment-news/224775/TV3-Group-launches-new-look-threechannel-lineup
    be3 will be available on channel 106 on Virgin Media, channel 116 on Sky, channel 106 on Saorview, channel 108 on Eir’s eVision and channel 106 on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

If you mean return to Virgin, dream on. Why would Virgin want you to watch ITV programming on UTV NI, instead of the TV3 group of channels, where they will be trying to sell as much advertising as possible ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Be interesting to see if this cluster**** prompts many to switch from Virgin and Sky if they do not subscribe for premium channels (Sport esp) and get Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Who mentioned Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭StreetLight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

106 on Saorview? What are they talking about?

3e is entertainment for the 15-44 age group apparently.. Yet the litany of mindless shoite that's listed in that article is nothing short of electromagnetic pollution.

Fairly sad state of affairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also GMB is going to be replaced by 3KIDS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Let's hope for more plays of things other than Tipping point!

Are the Independent being paid by TV3 or something? they always seem to have "exclusive" news on the station and go into massive detail on schedules more then any other media outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Elmo wrote: »
    Also GMB is going to be replaced by 3KIDS

No surprises there. Personally I found it odd for UTV Ireland to show it to begin with as there was references to shows coming up on ITV that they didn't have the rights to.

Has This Morning been axed as well?

lertsnim wrote: »
    No surprises there. Personally I found it odd for UTV Ireland to show it to begin with as there was references to shows coming up on ITV that they didn't have the rights to.

Doesn't make sense not to reference programmes that you don't have the rights too, e.g. Ireland AM will talkabout Dancing with the Star, right? :)
    Has This Morning been axed as well?

not sure only I think 3KIDS ends at 11 or so, Lorraine has been dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

not sure only I think 3KIDS ends at 11 or so, Lorraine has been dropped.

3Kids currently ends at 9:50am. Wouldn't say Lorraine is definitely being dropped. UTV Ireland have it showing a repeat of the morning episode at 1:30pm. Maybe a trial to see how it got on if it moved there permanently.

iseegirls wrote: »
    3Kids currently ends at 9:50am. Wouldn't say Lorraine is definitely being dropped. UTV Ireland have it showing a repeat of the morning episode at 1:30pm. Maybe a trial to see how it got on if it moved there permanently.

The problem with dropping these morning shows is that 3e is left with very little, as you pointed out when 3e took on 3KIDs at least it was a choice rather than a repeat or Ireland AM, it looks likely that 3e will return to daytime repeats of TV3 programming while be3 will drop the ITV morning shows.

3NEWS will continue across all 3 channels. You'd think they would have moved Ireland Live at this stage.

Overall its a much need make over for TV3 but in terms of Audience I can only see TV3 increasing its audiences to 10%, 3e stating at 2.5% and slowly losing an audience, while be3 will see a drop to 2%, meaning across all 3 channels they'll see a drop of 2% or more!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

The problem with dropping these morning shows is that 3e is left with very little, as you pointed out when 3e took on 3KIDs at least it was a choice rather than a repeat or Ireland AM, it looks likely that 3e will return to daytime repeats of TV3 programming while be3 will drop the ITV morning shows.

3NEWS will continue across all 3 channels. You'd think they would have moved Ireland Live at this stage.

Overall its a much need make over for TV3 but in terms of Audience I can only see TV3 increasing its audiences to 10%, 3e stating at 2.5% and slowly losing an audience, while be3 will see a drop to 2%, meaning across all 3 channels they'll see a drop of 2% or more!!!

Perhaps removing ITVs 2, 3 and 4 from Virgin Media Ireland will help the TV3 group's channels increase their audience.

Perhaps removing ITVs 2, 3 and 4 from Virgin Media Ireland will help the TV3 group's channels increase their audience.

Are they doing this? Does Virgin want to loss customers? no BT, no ITV in any form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Virgin has too many customers and seems to be trying to get rid of them. Regular price hikes and channel reductions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Are they doing this? Does Virgin want to loss customers? no BT, no ITV in any form!

I wouldn't put it past them, Virgin Media has been a showcase of disappointment, price hikes, channel cuts, bailing customers and angry customers since the 'magic' took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yes, I think 3e's schedule is going to be the most interesting. I hope they don't revert to being a repeats station like the mess it's in. However, they really need to splash some cash at bringing in more programming.

TV3 news had a piece on the new launch today.

From using my 'Where In The World' video memory challenge, I saw the following:

There was a promo for Miss Marple @ 7pm on Be3. They might be just showing off graphics, or a sign that drama will be on during that time stripped across the week.

Programmes which came up on the news clip were (I'll break up into what I think the channels they'll appear on):

TV3 : Emmerdale, Corrie, Ant And Dec's SNT, Red Rock, Pat Kenny Tonight, Paramedics, The Restaurant, Tonight With Vincent Browne, celebrity mastermind, Thelma's Communion Girls, Agenda, Britain's Got Talent, The :AM shows, Champions League, Broadchurch.

3e: Celebrity Juice, Graham Norton Show, Jonathan Ross Show, Big Brother, Celeb Big Brother, Big Brothers Bit On The Side, Britain's Got More Talent, American Dad, Family Guy, UFC

Be3: Wentworth Prison, Vera, Miss Marple, Cold Feet, Jeremy Kyle's Emergency Room, Loose Women

So judging from the above programmes that were in the news report and various press releases shows that there is very little new shows outside of the ITV Studios catalogue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

iseegirls wrote: »
    Yes, I think 3e's schedule is going to be the most interesting. I hope they don't revert to being a repeats station like the mess it's in. However, they really need to splash some cash at bringing in more programming.

TV3 news had a piece on the new launch today.

From using my 'Where In The World' video memory challenge, I saw the following:

There was a promo for Miss Marple @ 7pm on Be3. They might be just showing off graphics, or a sign that drama will be on during that time stripped across the week.

Programmes which came up on the news clip were (I'll break up into what I think the channels they'll appear on):

TV3 : Emmerdale, Corrie, Ant And Dec's SNT, Red Rock, Pat Kenny Tonight, Paramedics, The Restaurant, Tonight With Vincent Browne, celebrity mastermind, Thelma's Communion Girls, Agenda, Britain's Got Talent, The :AM shows, Champions League, Broadchurch.

3e: Celebrity Juice, Graham Norton Show, Jonathan Ross Show, Big Brother, Celeb Big Brother, Big Brothers Bit On The Side, Britain's Got More Talent, American Dad, Family Guy, UFC

Be3: Wentworth Prison, Vera, Miss Marple, Cold Feet, Jeremy Kyle's Emergency Room, Loose Women

So judging from the above programmes that were in the news report and various press releases shows that there is very little new shows outside of the ITV Studios catalogue.

so were back to where we started prior to UTV Ireland with content now spread across 3 channels instead of 2.

Gonzo wrote: »
    so were back to where we started prior to UTV Ireland with content now spread across 3 channels instead of 2.

That is incorrect because TV3 stopped broadcasting most ITV dramas around a decade ago.

UTV Ireland meant that Sky customers in the Republic could record more ITV dramas and that there was a version of the UTV Player for the Republic. Presumably, online availability of ITV dramas in the Republic will be incorporated by the 3Player.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    They have the opportunity to make a real success of this, having 3 stations, all the ITV shows, lots of money, but you just know that the will make a complete mess of it...... Turning UTV Ireland into a female orientated station is daft, just make 3 quality stations that offer something to everybody, this looks to me like Virgin bought UTV so that they could have a lions share of the Irish advertising market, this is certainly not about making quality TV stations...... For a start the UTV Ireland news staff and show is much superior to TV3,s effort,

I don't think that either of them is any good. I just cannot believe that there isn't enough money to provide a 10 to 15 minute news bulletin on Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday evenings (in addition to the news summaries on the weekend AM programmes). Surely, it wouldn't take many people to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I say fair play to VM for trying stuff

RTE gets advertising and the Licence fee and do nothing but the same old rubbish and then complain they cant afford to continue as they are (aka raise the licence fee)

TV3 et al do it all based on advertising and not paying ridiculous wages to dinosaurs who should have been extinct a long time ago

So while you may complain about the new line up just remember its costing you nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement