Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

icdg wrote: »
    I'd say they'll wait till playout moves to Dublin, possibly in the first week of January.

Seems a bit strange if they now own the channel not to want to get as many viewers for the network as possible. Presumably there will be heavy cross promotion on the three channels after the renaming so why wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Don't know if it's been posted already, but TV3 are negotiating with ITV to take their horse racing coverage next year, according to The Star newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

galtee boy wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been posted already, but TV3 are negotiating with ITV to take their horse racing coverage next year, according to The Star newspaper.
    Would be a good deal for TV3 .. probably big racing meets on TV3 and others on 3e.

Yet another reason old UTV won't be back on Virgin. And maybe a sign that ITV2,3,4's days could be numbered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Does that mean RTE could lose events like The Grand National and Cheltenham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

iseegirls wrote: »

If you are talking about Aintree & Cheltenham there; ITV should have coverage of those UK events in their new coverage so I will probably say yes.

You have to feel for RTE on this one regarding probably some of their horse racing coverage being taking away from them to TV3 in this manner.

RTE still have rights to show coverage of the Irish racing competitions so hopefully not all is lost on that department by them going to TV3 as well. RTE show Irish events like the Punchestown Festival, Leopardstown Festival, The Curragh & The Galway Races if all of their UK events are gone.

I wonder what TV3 will do with ITV's coverage? Will TV3 take them up as a ITV simulcast on their main channel to draw in more viewers?

If that happens that will really be a positive in that case. I don't think TV3 have a strong sports department right now to even present the coverage by themselves though. Could you imagine Matt Cooper presenting coverage of the Horse Racing coverage for TV3. His own knowledge & research on Sports is very poor at best.

I don't think TV3 have a strong sports department right now to even present the coverage by themselves though. Could you imagine Matt Cooper presenting coverage of the Horse Racing coverage for TV3. His own knowledge & research on Sports is very poor at best.

TV3 did have an interest in horse racing early on, albeit with Cheltenham special previews, highlights from Down Royal and around 4 series' of Go Racing which was more of an interview and preview show presented by Denis Kirwan.

I'm sure it would be a direct simulcast. And maybe for big events like Aintree and Cheltenham go in-house, but ensure that it works correctly, with the correct analysis, presenters and commentators.

This may also explain why TV3 didn't go for the GAA packages. There wasn't any furore from them this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 did have an interest in horse racing early on, albeit with Cheltenham special previews, highlights from Down Royal and around 4 series' of Go Racing which was more of an interview and preview show presented by Denis Kirwan.

I'm sure it would be a direct simulcast. And maybe for big events like Aintree and Cheltenham go in-house, but ensure that it works correctly, with the correct analysis, presenters and commentators.

This may also explain why TV3 didn't go for the GAA packages. There wasn't any furore from them this time.

Go Racing was largely a promotion for Racing Ireland, AFAIK completely produced for Racing Ireland.

Yes considering that Newstalk are complaining about RTE Radio coverage you would think that if TV3 went after the rights they would be complaining. Cann't say they even met with the GAA.

Interview in tomorrows Sunday Business Post tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You have to feel for RTE on this one regarding probably some of their horse racing coverage being taking away from them to TV3 in this manner.

My heart bleeds for them :P:P

The people that deserve sympathy are the licence fee payers who are paying E125 out of their E160 directly into RTE`s coffers.

Despite that sizeable contribution RTE`s sports coverage continues to be eroded. The 6 nations are gone, very likely the horse racing is all but gone and GAA has been eroded. I would be surprised if Virgin aren't eyeing up Ireland soccer internationals when they next come up for bidding.

If that were to come about you`d have to question would RTE need a sports department at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Steady on - while unfortunately it looks like rugby union on RTE will be a thing of the past by the end of 2017, RTÉ retains the lions share of the GAA live championship rights through to at least 2021, and actually won exclusive radio rights. Any eroding of GAA took place way back in 2008 when TV3 won rights for a period. As for football, RTE retain all of their existing rights till at least the end of the 2017-18 season. The sale of 2018-2022 international rights (and 2018-2021 for the club competitions) will probably be the major rights sales of 2017, but while TV3 may challenge, I suspect they'll concentrate their fire on the club competitions rather than the internationals. The horse racing has been all but gone since 1997 or thereabouts - what they've covered since has been a small fraction of what they did before that, and in UK terms has been down to Aintree and Cheltenham for years.

On TV3, two articles in the Sunday Times - a piece about the BAI intervening in a product placement deal, and an op-ed piece criticising Be 3's focus on women and children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Possibly not, RTÉ's deal has been with Racing UK since the 'new' Channel 4 Racing launched, but as has been said before it's just Cheltenham and the Grand National that get covered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

On TV3, two articles in the Sunday Times - a piece about the BAI intervening in a product placement deal, and an op-ed piece criticising Be 3's focus on women and children.

I assume that the BAI PP intervention relates to todays article in the herald about iClothing and Xpose.

While the portion of the op-ed that I read sound hyped up jump on the bandwagon type stuff. Imagine a newspaper with sections dedicated to both the Laydees and the Kidees. :rolleyes:

Anyone else notice a big improvement in the HD picture on TV3 tonight - News and Six O'Clock show looks native HD for first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a big improvement in the HD picture on TV3 tonight - News and Six O'Clock show looks native HD for first time.
    If it is native HD it's a start.

Certainly looked that way - I wonder was the blackout at 5:30 for about 5-10min on TV3 a problem with the new HD playout. 3e and UTVI were both working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Its not really, its sky,s bloody paywall. No such luck with Saorview.

Certainly looked that way - I wonder was the blackout at 5:30 for about 5-10min on TV3 a problem with the new HD playout. 3e and UTVI were both working perfectly.
    I watched a bit of the six o clock show on Sky and the picture looked ok. It will be interesting to see if anything happens to the picture quality of TV3 on Saorview when the rebrand takes place.

I watched a bit of the six o clock show on Sky and the picture looked ok. It will be interesting to see if anything happens to the picture quality of TV3 on Saorview when the rebrand takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

Was this TV3 HD on Sky? HD on Astra is 1920 and normal SD is 720. HD on Saorview is 1440, twice normal SD but TV3 on Saorview is a miserable 544 pixels Horizontal, equivalent to only 270 horizontal lines of resolution in old money. only a pixel every 2 mm on a 46" screen. The old analogue 625 line system could display 312 lines, equivalent to 624 horizontal resolution. What resolution in Tv3 hd using on Sky HD? Pressing the info button on your receiver should tell you. I'm guessing 1440, almost triple the Saorview resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

deezell wrote: »
    Was this TV3 HD on Sky? HD on Astra is 1920 and normal SD is 720.

Since when is SD on Astra 720 as a minumum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

lertsnim wrote: »
    Since when is SD on Astra 720 as a minumum?

Who said minimum? I didn't. Plenty of sub standard sd channels on astra. 720 × 576 is an SMTPE standard definition. 544 × 576 is low bit rate sub of this. This horizontal has a lower res than than the Vertical, which at 16:9 screen ratio means the horizontal has 47% less pixels per cm than the Vertical, almost half in fact, and this is very noticable. The nature of digital encoding and compression will further reduce the apparent resolution, and can be applied independently in either direction. Quality broadcast sd channels on astra are 720, shopping channels or terrestrial derived sd channels from saorview are 544. Current Pixel resolutions are the product of the evolution of TV from analogue to digital, the different line standard in the US and Europe, the development of computer displays, and the advent of widescreen ratios. Throw cinema into this mix and there is no one size fits all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

At least one could see the racing on the racing on tv3 without having to go to other channels...

Tuned into Ireland Am this morning. Have to see sinead Desmond is looking very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

thesultan wrote: »
    Tuned into Ireland Am this morning. Have to see sinead Desmond is looking very well.

In SD or HD?

Sd she was looking well I have to add.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That had better be a reference to the picture quality, because this isn't After Hours

Any news regarding the horse racing yet?

Not a huge fan of racing, but would there be any big enough racing events in January that they would cover, if they got the rights?

Looks Native HD at the moment again on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The picture quality of TV3 HD on sky you're paying for it.

Its scandalous that national commercial broadcaster can get away without broadcasting in HD on Saorview.

• Advertisement

lgs 4 wrote: »
    The picture quality of TV3 HD on sky you're paying for it.

Its scandalous that national commercial broadcaster can get away without broadcasting in HD on Saorview.

And the national Irish language broadcaster! But getting back on topic it's a pity it wasn't part of the conditions of allowing Virgin Media to take over TV3 group. Or even the TV3 group take over of UTV Ireland.

Advertisement