Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume that they will finish off "season 2" are are currently just waiting on BAI funding for season 3, this will give them about 50 weeks of Red Rock for 2017. BAI was supposed to provide details of Commissions in Dec.

BAI announced it will fund Red Rock season 3, so expect a 50 week series in 2017. I assume their are about 20 remaining from season 2. 40 for season 3, hour long shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

BAI announced it will fund Red Rock season 3, so expect a 50 week series in 2017. I assume their are about 20 remaining from season 2. 40 for season 3, hour long shows.

Is that 50 x 30 mins or 50 x 60 mins slots?

EDIT; Actually received 40 x 44 mins

Red Rock
    Series 3 TV3 TV 550,000 15 Drama Contemporary
    Society English 40 0:44:00

Is that 50 x 30 mins or 50 x 60 mins slots?

EDIT; Actually received 40 x 44 mins

Red Rock
    Series 3 TV3 TV 550,000 15 Drama Contemporary
    Society English 40 0:44:00

1hour including ads. *40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Why are 3e showing 24 hours to kill these days at midnight instead of family guy ? I thought it was meant to be a youth station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

4 Year deal for the UK racing events announced today by TV3. 50 races throughout the year to be broadcast on TV3 and 3e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

Hopefully they'll drop Good Morning Britain. Why show that in Ireland?

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll drop Good Morning Britain. Why show that in Ireland?

They are replacing it with children's programming.

Though why they want to show The Voice UK and BGT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

They are replacing it with children's programming.

Though why they want to show The Voice UK and BGT!!!

Presumably, BGT brings in a lot of viewers (Not everyone who has been a contestant on it is British - former Fair City actor Ryan O'Shaughnessy (Mark Halpin) was a contestant).

Presumably, BGT brings in a lot of viewers (Not everyone who has been a contestant on it is British - former Fair City actor Ryan O'Shaughnessy (Mark Halpin) was a contestant).

Now your suggesting that no Irish presenters have ever presented Morning TV on ITV!!!

It's morning TV what do you want from a channel at that time? This Morning is moving to TV3 in the New Year, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Now your suggesting that no Irish presenters have ever presented Morning TV on ITV!!!

Nobody made that suggestion. It is a bit stupid to compare a morning breakfast show with news content relating to another country to prime time entertainment shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

It's morning TV what do you want from a channel at that time? This Morning is moving to TV3 in the New Year, why?

Why is This Morning moving to TV3? It's no wonder we still get referred to as British subjects and we complain, yet we are being broadcast live British programmes and complain when they're dropped. I doubt it happens elsewhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Guys the issue of GMB has been debated tens of thousands of times on this thread and elsewhere over the past two years. I don't really like declaring issues off topic for discussion but it's been done to death at this stage. At the point that TV3's about to drop it isn't really the time to bring it up. The collaraly of some of the arguments posters are making above is that no live programme should be shown on Irish TV unless it is made in Ireland, which quite frankly is an absurd proposition.

At this stage I'm not going to make a call, but the thread will continue to be watched. What I am saying is It may be time to discuss other issues relating to TV3 rather than bringing up an issue the fate of which has already been announced.

You asked why TV3 wants to show BGT and The Voice UK and I answered your question. I wasn't referring to morning TV.

Mick McCaffrey, news editor of UTV Ireland appointed Head of News at TV3, which is an interesting move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

mike2084 wrote: »
    Possibly not, RTÉ's deal has been with Racing UK since the 'new' Channel 4 Racing launched, but as has been said before it's just Cheltenham and the Grand National that get covered now.
    all small losses eventually become one big loss, if rte loose any more sport then they must be questioned on where their take of the licence fee is spent, their take from advertising must be pretty good, are their so called stars getting massive contracts, so big that rte cannot afford to bid on sports events

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Good to see TV3 picking up the racing rights although RTÉ is just falling off a cliff with regards sports coverage.

With the 6 nations gone now to TV3 too they are starting to look very light.

Surely they will launch 3e in HD now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

irishfeen wrote: »
    Good to see TV3 picking up the racing rights although RTÉ is just falling off a cliff with regards sports coverage.

With the 6 nations gone now to TV3 too they are starting to look very light.

Surely they will launch 3e in HD now too.
    For me RTE has always provided the best sporting coverage wheather it be GAA, Soccer, rugby, or even horse racing. It's a shame to see the demise of top class sporting events and top class pundits disappear off our screens. Whats the point in TV3 getting these sporting events if they don't go full HD and bring in the best pundits to analyse these events.

Just to get back to my point on GMB and not to be political about it.

When UTV Ireland first appeared many gripped that it wasn't airing GMB, UTV obliged and others began to ask why a foreign programme is airing, though UTV Ireland did air Ireland Live as an opt-out to local news. And it did replace teleshopping hours.

Way back when they were still arsing about with DTT many on boards wanted to see UTV and BBC NI on Saorview, my point was if they want to air on Saorview the can pay just like Irish Broadcasters, in any case this did not happen until the arrival of UTV Ireland.

And when UTV Ireland start I think we all assumed that they would use their current set of news Joranlist from both UTV Radio and UTV proper, and perhaps repackage ITV News. Instead they opted to allow UTV Ireland go it alone in terms of TV News later UTV Radio would enter into an agreement for national news from Communicorp, instead of using their newly created national service Ireland Live, you'd question why they never used their economies of scale.

TV3 never opted to air This Morning from ITV even though it seems they had the rights to air the show. It looks to me that This Morning was far more popular in that time slot than Midday which is now moving to an afternoon timeslot. Last figures for This Morning showed it getting 30000 viewers on average.

I don't really get what TV3 plan to do with 3e's morning schedule, its likely it will go back to repeats of Ireland AM etc, so they question has to be why not air GMB on be3 and continue with children's programming on 3e?

TV3 take UK versions of TV programming because they get audiences.

Sorry for bring this up again, but I had to put forward a better argument.

Just to get back to my point on GMB and not to be political about it.

When UTV Ireland first appeared many gripped that it wasn't airing GMB, UTV obliged and others began to ask why a foreign programme is airing, though UTV Ireland did air Ireland Live as an opt-out to local news. And it did replace teleshopping hours.

Way back when they were still arsing about with DTT many on boards wanted to see UTV and BBC NI on Saorview, my point was if they want to air on Saorview the can pay just like Irish Broadcasters, in any case this did not happen until the arrival of UTV Ireland.

And when UTV Ireland start I think we all assumed that they would use their current set of news Joranlist from both UTV Radio and UTV proper, and perhaps repackage ITV News. Instead they opted to allow UTV Ireland go it alone in terms of TV News later UTV Radio would enter into an agreement for national news from Communicorp, instead of using their newly created national service Ireland Live, you'd question why they never used their economies of scale.

TV3 never opted to air This Morning from ITV even though it seems they had the rights to air the show. It looks to me that This Morning was far more popular in that time slot than Midday which is now moving to an afternoon timeslot. Last figures for This Morning showed it getting 30000 viewers on average.

I don't really get what TV3 plan to do with 3e's morning schedule, its likely it will go back to repeats of Ireland AM etc, so they question has to be why not air GMB on be3 and continue with children's programming on 3e?

TV3 take UK versions of TV programming because they get audiences.

Sorry for bring this up again, but I had to put forward a better argument.

Because it doesn't want to cannibalise Ireland AM's share of the morning audience - just like RTÉ didn't have the now defunct Morning Edition at the same time as Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

icdg wrote: »
    Mick McCaffrey, news editor of UTV Ireland appointed Head of News at TV3, which is an interesting move.

MOD: post removed due to content

• Advertisement

That line of argument is not to be further discussed. 48 hour ban for anyone ignoring this.

I wonder is Virgin Media interested in boosting the TV3 news operation as a credible rival to RTÉ and even maybe a news operation to rival Sky in the UK and the Republic.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

flutered wrote: »
    all small losses eventually become one big loss, if rte loose any more sport then they must be questioned on where their take of the licence fee is spent, their take from advertising must be pretty good, are their so called stars getting massive contracts, so big that rte cannot afford to bid on sports events

TV3 have got exclusivity on UK racing so RTÉ's and eir's deals end. I enjoyed RTÉ's reasoning that they didn't mind losing the rights because they were being asked to show too many fixtures.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/horse-racing/rt-sport-loses-out-on-rights-to-show-live-uk-racing-35316280.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Will RTE still be able to do Cheltenham on Radio I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You would wonder why RTÉ complained about having to show too many race meetings - there is almost nothing of note on both RTÉ1, 2 and News Now during the week.

There was plenty of room in their schedules.

Because it doesn't want to cannibalise Ireland AM's share of the morning audience - just like RTÉ didn't have the now defunct Morning Edition at the same time as Morning Ireland.

Why should TV3 care they own both services, they sell advertising on both, GMB didn't take any audience from TV3 if anything it now adds.

Why should TV3 care they own both services, they sell advertising on both, GMB didn't take any audience from TV3 if anything it now adds.

Because it would split the number of viewers in the ratings.

After all, RTÉ owns RTÉ One and RTÉ Radio 1, but it still didn't broadcast the now-defunct Morning Edition at the same time as Morning Ireland.

irishfeen wrote: »
    You would wonder why RTÉ complained about having to show too many race meetings - there is almost nothing of note on both RTÉ1, 2 and News Now during the week.

There was plenty of room in their schedules.
    after shelling out to their so called stars they have to cut back, their racing program is first class, but they have too many folks involved to have them on full time, look at the opposition run on a shoestring they get the job done plus their tips are never far off the collection plate

flutered wrote: »
    after shelling out to their so called stars they have to cut back, their racing program is first class, but they have too many folks involved to have them on full time, look at the opposition run on a shoestring they get the job done plus their tips are never far off the collection plate

What their opposition lost nearly €16m last year and I assume you mean ITV tips?

• Advertisement

What their opposition lost nearly €16m last year and I assume you mean ITV tips?
    at the races and racing uk

Advertisement