Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Elmo wrote: »
    What their opposition lost nearly €16m last year and I assume you mean ITV tips?
    btw, how does what you call their opposition's losses compare to rte;s

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

flutered wrote: »
    btw, how does what you call their opposition's losses compare to rte;s

RTÉ brokeeven in 2015!

Opposition I mean TV3 not At The Races, Racing U.K. Or ITV all of which are not run on a shoe string budget.

Because it would split the number of viewers in the ratings.

After all, RTÉ owns RTÉ One and RTÉ Radio 1, but it still didn't broadcast the now-defunct Morning Edition at the same time as Morning Ireland.

Morning TV has an average of 200,000 viewers compared to 1m listeners for radio, no matter what RTÉ put on in the morning they won't change that.

TV3, 3e, UTV Ireland and TV3+1 averaged 17% all of the last 2 years, based on figures seen I expect these 4 channels to drop to 14%. You think they'd want to retain their audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

I don't know why they are bringing back GMB after the xmas break next Tuesday when it will be for 4 days only.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Because it costs very little (the Irish opt outs are prerecorded the previous evening) and rates better than the testcard?

I'm surprised to see Ireland Live return though for the last week, though they're effectively required to run a news service while the station remains under its own contract.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Because it costs very little (the Irish opt outs are prerecorded the previous evening) and rates better than the testcard?

I'm surprised to see Ireland Live return though for the last week, though they're effectively required to run a news service while the station remains under its own contract.

AFAIK Ireland Live will become part of 3news with 2 bulletins, I assumed 5:30 moves to 8pm, assuming 8pm news on 3e is dropped with Ireland Live at 10 renamed as 3News at 10.

Head of News at UTV Ireland is now head of 3NEWS.

Imagine if the tv3 group poached The Simpson's and Home & away ? RTE 2 sure would have a major gap to fill

Imagine if the tv3 group poached The Simpson's and Home & away ? RTE 2 sure would have a major gap to fill

They would but as it wasn't done over the last 2 years it's unlikely to happen now remember the TV3 group of channels lost 30million in 2015.

Also it looks like they have lost Family Guy. Not listed on 3e site. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Monday 9th Jan schedule up on digiguide.

Main summary. For TV3 - they take The Chase and This Morning from UTVi, and UTV Ireland's production of Kevin Dundon's cookery show. Bye goes repeats of Xpose and TSOCS.

3e - Oh dear. No change, when there really needed to be a huge change. In comes repeats of Catchphrase, Tipping Point and Living With Lucy. Judge Rinder and Jeremy Kyle make their way over from UTVi. Steve Wilkos returns after 12 months away. New episodes of Family Guy and American Dad shunted away till after midnight.

Be3 - What have they done?? They've taken away their highest rated show - The Chase - from the 6pm slot. The afternoons are a mess. There is a 2 hour repeat of Ireland:AM from 10:30-12:30am. In comes repeats of Judge Judy, The Restaurant and Brendan Grace. Is a Brendan Grace standup special the exact show for the target audience for this channel??

TV3
    7:00 Ireland:AM
    10:30 This Morning
    12:30 News
    1:00 The Chase
    2:00 Tipping Point
    3:00 Elaine
    4:00 Kevin Dundon's Back To Basics
    4:30 Judge Judy
    5:30 News
    6:00 The 6 O'Clock Show
    7:00 Emmerdale - Corrie - XPOSE - Corrie
    9:00 Red Rock
    11:00 Vincent Browne

3e
    6:00 Uploaded
    10:00 Jeremy Kyle
    11:00 Tipping Point
    12:00 Uploaded
    1:00 Xpose
    1:30 Bondi Rescue
    2:00 Steve Wilkos
    4:00 Jeremy Kyle
    5:00 Tipping Point
    6:00 Judge Rinder
    7:00 Catchphrase
    8:00 Bondi Rescue
    9:00 Celeb Big Brother
    10:00 Living With Lucy
    11:00 Celeb BB BOTS
    12:05 Family Guy
    12:30 American Dad

Be3
    7:00 3Kids
    10:00 Xpose
    10:30 Ireland AM
    12:30 Loose Women
    1:30 Judge Judy
    2:30 Emmerdale - Corrie
    4:00 Dickinsons Read Deal
    5:00 Who's Doing The Dishes
    6:00 The Restaurant
    7:00 News
    7:30 TBA
    8:00 Surprise Surprise
    9:00 Brendan Grace: Funny Man
    10:00 News
    10:30 Emmerdale - Corrie
    12:00 Elaine
    1:00 Loose Women
    2:00 Off Their Rockers Aus

Thanks issegirls honestly if you thought UTV Ireland didn't know what they were doing, purely forsaking any extra audiences that they might get out of be3 for maybe 10% on TV3.

• Advertisement

Very hard to tell the difference between be3 & 3e isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

iseegirls wrote: »

Main summary. For TV3 - they take The Chase and This Morning from UTVi, and UTV Ireland's production of Kevin Dundon's cookery show. Bye goes repeats of Xpose and TSOCS.

3e - Oh dear. No change, when there really needed to be a huge change. In comes repeats of Catchphrase, Tipping Point and Living With Lucy. Judge Rinder and Jeremy Kyle make their way over from UTVi. Steve Wilkos returns after 12 months away. New episodes of Family Guy and American Dad shunted away till after midnight.

Be3 - What have they done?? They've taken away their highest rated show - The Chase - from the 6pm slot. The afternoons are a mess. There is a 2 hour repeat of Ireland:AM from 10:30-12:30am. In comes repeats of Judge Judy, The Restaurant and Brendan Grace. Is a Brendan Grace standup special the exact show for the target audience for this channel??

TV3

3e

Be3

As you say, The Chase filled that slot perfectly, with viewers switching over after Pointless on BBC One, so moving it to 1 seems pure madness. TV3 itself may well be stronger, but nothing I'd watch personally on the other channels, going by that schedule!

Will miss GMB, I used to record it on Sky plus as I wouldn't have time to watch it all in the morning, cant do that now on ITV!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

iseegirls wrote: »

TV3

3e

Be3

wow that is a mess of a schedule. why are they moving the chase to 1pm on tv3??. they might as well just shut one of the 3 channels now and have 2 good channels....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

wow that is a mess of a schedule. why are they moving the chase to 1pm on tv3??. they might as well just shut one of the 3 channels now and have 2 good channels....

Exactly my feelings. There is no need for 3 channels whatsoever.

Note that next week, both TV3 and UTVI have The Chase on at 6pm from Tues-Fri. I don't know what is going on with whoever is scheduling these shows - opposite each other.

3e may pick up viewers with having CBB, but it's a schedule that is really not aimed at their target market. Unless their target market suffer huge losses in memory, and forget that Bondi Rescue and Catchphrase have already been repeated to death.
    No sitcoms - something which E4 gain big audiences for, and again music is completely omitted. The run of no music shows on any TV3 channel stretches on for 13 years after Music 3(Cubed) ended.
    The end of BBC3 should have been the catalyst for 3e to jump in, and take some of those documentaries and comedies. But they'd rather rely on repeats which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TV3 getting some milage out of that series of The Restaurant they filmed, nothing compared to their Bondi Rescue rights though!

Why don't the tv3 group buy some cheep drama and soaps from abroad ? Days of our lifes would be better than all the marathon of gameshows spread across 3 stations. Our what about buying nordic soaps and dubbing them in English ?

to me its like they are going back to pre-UTVIRL times i.e. only buying the ITV studios stuff cos of Emmerdale and Corrie and then repeating as much as they can to make maximum revenue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I think people need to get over all this TV3 bashing and move on. We know now, that for the next 10 years, TV3, 3e and Be3 will predominantly show the best ( and worst ! ) of ITV programming along with some Irish produced stuff like Red Rock etc. This will please those in Soarview only land and there are a lot of them, and others will think it's terrible etc. But it won't change, so either watch it or change channels. The quality of programming is a personal choice, one mans meat etc etc, it's the lack of HD for any of the TV3 channels on Saorview that bugs me. Thankfully, as some other poster said, there's always ITV London HD.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I think people need to get over all this TV3 bashing and move on. We know now, that for the next 10 years, TV3, 3e and Be3 will predominantly show the best ( and worst ! ) of ITV programming along with some Irish produced stuff like Red Rock etc. This will please those in Soarview only land and there are a lot of them, and others will think it's terrible etc. But it won't change, so either watch it or change channels. The quality of programming is a personal choice, one mans meat etc etc, it's the lack of HD for any of the TV3 channels on Saorview that bugs me. Thankfully, as some other poster said, there's always ITV London HD.

It doesn't make sense even if TV3 increase their audience to 10% (and I'd be surprised if they see a bigger increase without the ITV reality programmes, 12% when they are on) both Be3 and 3e will see drops.

Even with BB and CBB 3e has see a slight drop over they last 2 years. (Also it had music programmes as Channel 6 and it still is Channel 6 ltd).

Be3 look likely to see an even bigger drop than we expected and could split 3e audiences.

Both UTV Ireland and TV3 fail to utilise they vast array of classic and new programming from ITV Studios, instead opting for Quizshow repeats.

Why TV3 are afraid to keep 17% of the audience is strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I thought when they were refreshing their channels they would alter the programmes. FFS these channels are dire. Repeats after repeats after repeats of game shows and ITV programmes (and it ITV shows from the last few years over and over again) I'm actually enjoying Agatha Christies Poirot on UTV Ireland this week, at least they are new repeats. Even if they repeated older ITV it wouldn't be as bad like Heartbeat and Midsomer Murders. I thought they have all ITV programming now. I'd say I've seen every episode of every game show that they show. Lassie has been repeated every day on 3e since Christmas (they have like 6 films that they keep repeating) and I wont even begin talking about uploaded. It has to be one of the worst channels ever. Surely there are even old sitcoms like Malcom in the Middle, Melissa and Joey and Friends that could be put on 3e. There surely are cheap old sitcoms that they could stick on 3e? They hardly cost too much. Also why do they have Family Guy and American Dad on at unearthly hours in the night? What is the idea? Couldn't they easily be on at 9? Is this fairly recent, or were there many repeats like 10/15 years ago? Or when did this start?

When it started as channel 6 it had old US sitcoms (it got me watching Seinfeld), new shows like Prison Break and their own music shows. Once it became 3e it began to be a repeat channel for TV3. Though it did grow its audience under TV3.

I give up on Tv3 schedulers. they have no clue how to even keep an audience never mind develop it..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If they played the cartoon comedies (eh Family guy, American Dad) before midnight they might actually develop an audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

galtee boy wrote: »

The thing is, Liberty Media made a big play before Christmas that each channel would have a distinct brand identity, with 3 being the commercial equivalent of RTE One, 3e targeting 18-34s, and Be3 aimed at female viewers. The schedules for the sister channels give no sign of that, in contrast to BBC or the Channel Four group, where each channel has a distinct demographic identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

This is a waste of time talking about the TV3. Virgin need to put their hands deep in there pockets and get away from dependency on ITV for its programming and start hiring studio time in Pinewood , Elstree and ITV studios and start creating new programs .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

lgs 4 wrote: »
    This is a waste of time talking about the TV3. Virgin need to put their hands deep in there pockets and get away from dependency on ITV for its programming and start hiring studio time in Pinewood , Elstree and ITV studios and start creating new programs .

Its easier to use ITV for that though, let them pay for it and TV3 reap the gains with little or more likely no input.

Its easier to use ITV for that though, let them pay for it and TV3 reap the gains with little or more likely no input.

That would be fine if they were actually using all of ITV product. It will be interesting to see what simucasts of ITV they actually take for either 3e or be3.

ITV don't have a wide variety of programming but they can fill at least 2 channels.

ITV/UTV/STV - Main Channel with Soaps and Reality, some lifestyle and weekend entertainment
    ITV2 - Repeats of soaps, younger audience, some originals, comedy, US imports, extra Reality TV Shows.
    ITV3 - Classic ITV Drama
    ITV4 - Movies, Sport and Classic TV

On the other hand TV3

TV3 - Main channel with ITV soap and reality with home produced programming
    3e - Repeats of Morning/Daytime TV from TV3, no real original programming from abroad, repeats of current ITV gameshows (repeated from TV3) ALSO sport and big brother.
    be3 - As 3e but with ITV Soap repeats!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Elmo wrote: »
    That would be fine if they were actually using all of ITV product. It will be interesting to see what simucasts of ITV they actually take for either 3e or be3.

ITV don't have a wide variety of programming but they can fill at least 2 channels.

ITV/UTV/STV - Main Channel with Soaps and Reality, some lifestyle and weekend entertainment
    ITV2 - Repeats of soaps, younger audience, some originals, comedy, US imports, extra Reality TV Shows.
    ITV3 - Classic ITV Drama
    ITV4 - Movies, Sport and Classic TV

On the other hand TV3

TV3 - Main channel with ITV soap and reality with home produced programming
    3e - Repeats of Morning/Daytime TV from TV3, no real original programming from abroad, repeats of current ITV game shows (repeated from TV3) ALSO sport and big brother.
    be3 - As 3e but with ITV Soap repeats!!!

There is the answer: the programming schedule.Virgin could well afford to commission new programming .ITV have 50 years back programming and now upscaled to HD quality for ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD and with paywall backing from sky.

Advertisement