Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lgs 4 wrote: »
    There is the answer: the programming schedule.Virgin could well afford to commission new programming .ITV have 50 years back programming and now upscaled to HD quality for ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD and with paywall backing from sky.

We assume and we could all be wrong that the package announced by UTV Ireland in 2014 has now passed on to Virgin Media, this package included a number of back catalogue programmes that UTV Ireland never used e.g. Cracker, Prime Suspect, Heartbeat and so on.

No reason why be3 could not take on simulcasting Drama and Lifestyle from ITV and broadcast classic ITV dramas which would be inline with their so called demographic. Along with the repeats of suitable TV3 shows.

When I say drama I mean those drama's outside of Soap that generally did not do well for either UTV Ireland and TV3 but have a better audience than Catchphrase!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Elmo wrote: »
    We assume and we could all be wrong that the package announced by UTV Ireland in 2014 has now passed on to Virgin Media, this package included a number of back catalogue programmes that UTV Ireland never used e.g. Cracker, Prime Suspect, Heartbeat and so on.

No reason why be3 could not take on simulcasting Drama and Lifestyle from ITV and broadcast classic ITV dramas which would be inline with their so called demographic. Along with the repeats of suitable TV3 shows.

When I say drama I mean those drama's outside of Soap that generally did not do well for either UTV Ireland and TV3 but have a better audience than Catchphrase!

Well its not going to change viewing habits ,RTE, BBC, C4, C5 .I will say thing about channel 5 since Viacom brought C5 from RTL group europe .Its programming is a lot better under Viacom .Who knows under Virgin we could see a lot more home produce programming .They will have to go to UK or use Ardmore studio facilities and production and do any UK post production here in Ireland.

Well its not going to change viewing habits ,RTE, BBC, C4, C5 .I will say thing about channel 5 since Viacom brought C5 from RTL group europe .Its programming is a lot better under Viacom .Who knows under Virgin we could see a lot more home produce programming .They will have to go to UK or use Ardmore studio facilities and production and do any UK post production here in Ireland.

Yes it will TV3 will see an increase from 7% to 10%, be3 will see their audience collapse going from 6% to 2% while 3e may continue its slow drop to 2% meaning these channels will have gone from 16% to 14% if they are lucky.

3e could see its audience split between 2 channels with it getting 1.25% and be3 getting 1.25%, with TV3 getting just 9% this would bring the TV3 group to 12.5%

Including a generous 0.5% to TV3+1.

They are my two pessimistic takes on where TV3 are headed.

In terms of home produced programming it has to be surrounded by quality imports, Red Rock might see a boost.

What types of programmes are you expecting them to produce?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Yes it will TV3 will see an increase from 7% to 10%, be3 will see their audience collapse going from 6% to 2% while 3e may continue its slow drop to 2% meaning these channels will have gone from 16% to 14% if they are lucky.

3e could see its audience split between 2 channels with it getting 1.25% and be3 getting 1.25%, with TV3 getting just 9% this would bring the TV3 group to 12.5%

Including a generous 0.5% to TV3+1.

They are my two pessimistic takes on where TV3 are headed.

In terms of home produced programming it has to be surrounded by quality imports, Red Rock might see a boost.

What types of programmes are you expecting them to produce?

Keeping with the familiar programming ,chat show ,quiz shows ,period drama ,comedy sitcoms

Keeping with the familiar programming ,chat show ,quiz shows ,period drama ,comedy sitcoms

Perhaps but I can't see TV3 producing anything more than they already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Credit to TV3. Their consistency shines through. They have really made a balls of that schedule.

I am guessing that instead of UTVI showing episodes of The Chase the same day as ITV, TV3 will be showing ancient episodes like they do with Tipping Point.

It would have been perfect for Be3 at 5pm but some genius decided years old repeats of the awful Who's Doing The Dishes will be better. Thankfully I have ITV via satellite and don't rely on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

lertsnim wrote: »
    Credit to TV3. Their consistency shines through. They have really made a balls of that schedule.

I am guessing that instead of UTVI showing episodes of The Chase the same day as ITV, TV3 will be showing ancient episodes like they do with Tipping Point.

It would have been perfect for Be3 at 5pm but some genius decided years old repeats of the awful Who's Doing The Dishes will be better. Thankfully I have ITV via satellite and don't rely on TV3.

why take off their highest rated programme on UTVIrl/Be3 and put on something that wont even get half its audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

why take off their highest rated programme on UTVIrl/Be3 and put on something that wont even get half its audience?

Who's doing the dishes will be their highest rated programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

lertsnim wrote: »
    Who's doing the dishes will be their highest rated programme?

Think that was meant towards The Chase being removed from the 6pm slot, where it was topping the ratings for UTV Ireland in December.

Update with Tue schedule:
    18:00 Renovation Nation
    19:00 News at 7
    19:30 TBA
    20:00 Midsomer Murders
    22:00 News at 10
    22:30 Emmerdale
    23:00 Red Rock

Only one unique show there, that wouldn't have been shown on TV3 - Midsomer Murders

What shows are missing from TV3 v ITV

• Advertisement

Comparing to ITV London on Monday 9th January, we're missing the following:
    GMB, Lorraine, The Martin Lewis Money Show, The Halycon (New drama)

On Tue: GMB, Lorraine, The Money Saving Good Health Show, Island Of Australia, Wilderness Walks with Ray Mears and Trawlerman Tales

They could easily merge both channels:

6:00 Uploaded
    7:00 3Kids
    10:00 Jeremy Kyle
    11:00 Bondi Rescue
    11:30 The Restaurant
    12:30 Loose Women
    1:30 Xpose
    2:00 Steve Wilkos
    3:00 Dickinson's Real Deal
    4:00 Who's Doing The Dishes
    5:00 Catchphrase
    6:00 Judge Rinder
    7:00 News
    7:30 Bondi Rescue
    8:00 Surprise Surprise
    9:00 Celeb Big Brother
    10:00 News
    10:30 Family Guy
    11:00 Celeb BB BOTS
    12:05 American Dad

Only thing I've omitted is the Brendan Grace stand-up, and the repeats from TV3.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Comparing to ITV London on Monday 9th January, we're missing the following:
    GMB, Lorraine, The Martin Lewis Money Show, The Halycon (New drama)

On Tue: GMB, Lorraine, The Money Saving Good Health Show, Island Of Australia, Wilderness Walks with Ray Mears and Trawlerman Tales

The Halycon is prob the most important for TV3 even if it clashes with Red Rock, it should air on be3.

Though the rights for worldwide distribution are with Sony Pictures.

Things like The Martin Lewis Money Show, The Money Saving Good Health Show, Island of Australia, Wilderness Walks and Trawlerman Tales should find a place between 7pm and 9pm on be3. They don't have to be simulcast. If these shows are available you better off with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Any update on be 3 schedules for later that week ? I presume the pulse is gone ? Finishing tonight ?

Any update on be 3 schedules for later that week ? I presume the pulse is gone ? Finishing tonight ?

Monday:
    8pm Surprise Surprise (S3) - originally shown in 2014 on ITV
    9:00 Brendan Grace: Funny Man - (Shown 4 times on TV3 in 4 years, last showing was St Patricks Day 2016)

Tuesday:
    8pm Midsomer Murders (New - Just shown on ITV in Dec 2016)

Wednesday:
    8pm Long Lost Family (S2) - originally shown in 2012 on ITV and TV3
    9:00 Wentworth Prison (S4 - New)

Thursday:
    8pm Big Star's Little Star (S3) - originally shown in 2013 on ITV
    9:00 Bull (New US TV Series)

Friday isn't up yet.

Horse racing now on 3e. A rebroadcast of the programme currently on ITV1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I doubt anyone with the ITV/UTV HD option would choose to watch 3e in SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sound was out of sync when I checked 3e earlier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They seemed to be cutting very badly in and out of the ITV feed when I watched a little earlier. I am not really sure why they are going to the effort to try to cover up the ITV branding when it is plastered literally everywhere.

icdg wrote: »
    They seemed to be cutting very badly in and out of the ITV feed when I watched a little earlier. I am not really sure why they are going to the effort to try to cover up the ITV branding when it is plastered literally everywhere.

Are they using their own graphics?

Also before calling RTE Racing RTE used to have a name to their racing programmes, like with dog racings GONE TO THE DOGS. anyone know what it was called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Also before calling RTE Racing RTE used to have a name to their racing programmes, like with dog racings GONE TO THE DOGS. anyone know what it was called?

I believe it was The Big Race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Is Be3 on air yet ?

Is Be3 on air yet ?

Yes it is called UTV Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Is Be3 on air yet ?

UTV Ireland will become be3 on 9 January.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Only their own opening titles. The rest is the ITV programme, graphics and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Anyone else think it's most likely that 3e and be3 will be merged into one channel within 18 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Anyone else think it's most likely that 3e and be3 will be merged into one channel within 18 months ?

Would agree, such is the level of repeats on both channels that they could be comfortably merged without notice - better one channel on 4-5% share, than two on about 2% each!

Would agree, such is the level of repeats on both channels that they could be comfortably merged without notice - better one channel on 4-5% share, than two on about 2% each!

Unlikely that 3e would achieve 5% with that schedule. Be3 will eventually eat into to 3e's audience and eventually it merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Just looking at saorview EPG for monday 9th January and utvi programming no longer available which is right. I am wondering will be3 be on saorview at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Yes it is called UTV Ireland.

So it isn't on air yet. Thanks for clarifying....

Advertisement