Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby due in November, what do we need!

Options
  • 07-05-2014 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    The wife is due our first baby in November, i know we need cot/pram/car seat etc.. Clothes/nappies, bottles etc...

From any of your experiences is there anything we should have that greatly helped your first few months? I know this sounds generic but we don't want to get caught with our pants down come November.

If there's a discussion on this already on Boards, could someone please redirect me.

Thanks

Mick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

sleep .. get as much as you can now, even when you don't feel tired just go for a snooze!

Spare bottles: if ye end up bottle feeding get some spares as there's nothing worse than having to wash and sterilise in a hurry when you need a bottle asap

First Aid kit: My wife's sister gave us a First Aid kit type assortment of stuff including talc type powder/sudocream/thermometer/cotton pads etc. She came over my wife+baby came home from hospital and helped us bathe the baby for the 1st time and advised us on how she looked after her baby's umbilical cord stubby bit etc.

Cook some meals in advance and freeze em in case ye are stuck for time when the baby arrives and want something decent to eat.

Muzzlin cloths, throw em over your shoulder to avoid your clothes getting covered in dribble.

We live near a Tesco so we could pop down if we needed anything in a hurry.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

You need somewhere for baby to sleep. If you're in a house, I'd advise a cot upstairs and a travel cot (with changing table) for daytime naps. If you're using a Moses basket, don't buy sheets, pillow-cases are perfect. You'll need plenty of cellular blankets for the first few weeks.

You need the essentials for feeding baby. I think a steriliser is a must - even if you're breastfeeding, you'll still probably need to sterilise soothers and pump etc. We got a great generic one in Mothercare, fits all bottles etc. If you're planning on breastfeeding, research pumps. You mightn't need one, but we did need one (straight away, before even leaving the hospital) and it was good that we'd one picked out. If you're planning on bottlefeeding, have your bottles picked out, and do your research into the different formulas. You cannot have enough bibs (buy the ones that have velcro, that straps at the side. This is important! No strings or ties, and nothing that ties at the back!) Also muslin cloths. Many of them!

Nappies, wipes. Have some of both in stock, but don't go too crazy, different nappies and wipes suit different babies! Bepanthen is better than Vaseline or Sudocrem, but actually, we haven't even had to use that yet. In general, the less products you use, the better. A baby bath is very handy, and not too expensive. They'll only need 1-2 baths a week the first few months. Avoid Johnsons products - in fact, avoid most products, just wash them with water!

Travel system/buggy. You can get excellent value secondhand.

Soothers. I'm strict about using only the orthodontic ones, not sure if there's really much of a difference tbh, but they're very expensive! And, if you're using them, you need to keep quite a few in stock! It's a good idea to use different brands.

Teetha. Neurofen. Calpol. A Braun digital ear thermometer. You'll be happy to have all of these in stock when the time comes!

A pack of 0-3 month short-sleeve vests, a pack of 0-3 month babygros (make sure they button down the front.)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Aqueous cream or Silcox Base for bathing.. All the commercial brand baby washes contain chemicals no matter how 'mild' they claim to be. My babys skin got all irritated from bathing him in a well known infant baby wash.

Cotton pads and water for bum cleaning - again, wipes have chemicals

A little grooming kit - nail clippers, soft hair brush etc

Antiseptic wipes for the cord stump

Infacol drops/Gripe Water for colic

Lots of bibs/muslin cloths for feeding

Caldesene powder - The folds in their neck can get sore from milk spillage and drool, this is great for healing and keeping the area dry

An aspirator for cleaning their nose

Lots of nappy bags - We got one of those disposal units and never used it. Waste of money imo

From my experience these are essential.. everyone has their own preferences though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

Maybe hold off on any big purchases until you've told family and friends. You'd be surprised what people might give you, especially if they have kids already... obviously some people aren't fans of second-hand stuff but personally I'll be taking it all with both hands!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement