Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Student - can he visit another country

• 07-05-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I don't see any other place more appropriate for this

A friend is coming to DCU as an International Student , and on the student VISA

As he has never been in Europe I am trying to work out can he travel abroad, say to France, for a few days. I understand the Study VISA is single entry

But I think he can get a letter from college confirming attendance etc and complete a " Re-entry form" ? But rather than get his hopes up i wondered if any international students, or any one who knows one, would have 1st hand knowledge.

Really just need to know if it is possible - can work out the detail later

I also wondered if connecting in paris en route could he take a later connection but i think having a tourist visa for France, then to travel on to Ireland as student might be very troublesome

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I don't know the ins and outs of this but I know it's definitely possible. I knew of exchange students in DCU last year who left during the year to visit other countries and came back - some doing so several times!

Best thing to do is to contact the Irish embassy in whatever country your friend is coming from. Just get your friend to go in and ask. If he/she can't do that, maybe you could pop into that countries embassy here (if it has one) and find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Konata wrote: »
    I don't know the ins and outs of this but I know it's definitely possible. I knew of exchange students in DCU last year who left during the year to visit other countries and came back - some doing so several times!

Best thing to do is to contact the Irish embassy in whatever country your friend is coming from. Just get your friend to go in and ask. If he/she can't do that, maybe you could pop into that countries embassy here (if it has one) and find out?

Hi and thanks
    Yea I am pretty sure it is possible but finding out for definite or in detail is proving difficult. He is in China so communicating with the Embassy in Beijing is not ideal. I have contacted the irish embassy but in fairness they concentrate more on processing the applications they have

It seems a shame to be "stuck" in Ireland for a year after travellign so far ( he has seen more of Ireland than I have) and the alternative is to see Paris or something BEFORE entry here but that is troublesome too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hi and thanks
    Yea I am pretty sure it is possible but finding out for definite or in detail is proving difficult. He is in China so communicating with the Embassy in Beijing is not ideal. I have contacted the irish embassy but in fairness they concentrate more on processing the applications they have

It seems a shame to be "stuck" in Ireland for a year after travellign so far ( he has seen more of Ireland than I have) and the alternative is to see Paris or something BEFORE entry here but that is troublesome too

Keep at the embassy I guess. If you can pop in in person even better, then they can't fob you off as easily :P

I'm currently on an exchange in Japan and I was provided with info regarding leaving the country during my stay when I applied for my visa. Obviously the Chinese system might work differently but has your friend been given any info from either the embassy (if they've applied for their visa yet?) or their college (or whoever it is that is coordinating their exchange?).

Oooh, here's a thought. Maybe you could get your friend to e-mail the international office in DCU? I'm sure they'd know actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I imagine your Friend would have to apply for holiday visas to those countries. Even if goes to NI and is stopped by the police, he will be deported

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hfallada wrote: »
    I imagine your Friend would have to apply for holiday visas to those countries. Even if goes to NI and is stopped by the police, he will be deported
    This.

It just isn't worth the risk.

UK is in the commonwealth , France in Shengen , both very different visa requirements to here.

Also with the recent closure of foreign language schools some of which may have facilitated people working here instead of studying this is defo not the time to chance your arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Chinese nationals will still legally require visitor visas for any country they wish to visit (e.g. UK, France, etc.) while on an Irish student visa, if that country normally requires visas of Chinese nationals. For example, if a Chinese student at DCU wishes to visit the UK for a week, he/she will be required to apply for a UK general visitor visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Chinese nationals will still legally require visitor visas for any country they wish to visit (e.g. UK, France, etc.) while on an Irish student visa, if that country normally requires visas of Chinese nationals. For example, if a Chinese student at DCU wishes to visit the UK for a week, he/she will be required to apply for a UK general visitor visa.

yea thanks for this - I know this and am trying to explain to him that it might be easier to visit France/Germany or whatever European countries that accept the one visa/ schengen etc) rather than the UK process

I imagine during studies only one trip out of country is feasible but a shame not to do something when " in the area"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yea thanks for this - I know this and am trying to explain to him that it might be easier to visit France/Germany or whatever European countries that accept the one visa/ schengen etc) rather than the UK process

I imagine during studies only one trip out of country is feasible but a shame not to do something when " in the area"
    I didn't know that France / Germany all accept the same Visa :eek:

Seriously it's up to him to make sure he has valid visas for every single country he wants to go to and that there are no gotchas on the entry/exit restrictions for them.

Advertisement