Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What boardgames are you playing this week ?.

Options
  • 07-05-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Glass Road
    Played about 3 games of this the weekend,but did'nt really enjoy it much , as I was teaching new players during each of the games.
    I Hate teaching boardgames :( ,but love playing them :).
    Pretty quick game ,with lots of different ways to win/stratagies ,so my type of game.
    Looking forward to teach-free games in the future.

Splendor
    Got this on monday and played it three times.A great filler , IMO this will be a big hit .Also nice and portable with an easy set up.
    Everyone knew the rules in 2 minutes :D.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I played king of tokyo, about 8 times
    played eldritch horror for the first time, great, we won.
    Few games of love letter, always fun.
    jungle speed
    tichu, great team card game, working with your partner.
    Battlestar galactica, first full playthough, was amazing, I was admiral adama cylon for the second half of the game when the sympathiser gave me his card and he was already a cylon, nobody found me out even though logically it was me, I convinced them that the sympathizer was playing tricks on them trying to make it look like the admiral was a cylon. Kept a real player in the brig for the whole second half of the game while I made us travel shorter distances and lose fuel etc! So much fun.
    Sabateur and Sabateur 2 , fun game to start the night
    Bang the card game, was fun learning this but it can be so harsh on people that they were very frustrated.
    Munchkin with like 10 people, far too many my god, stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Played my first game of Carcasonne (shock!) and thought it was class. So played it a feck load more.
    Played Dixit. Betrayal At House On The Hill.
    Gonna give Whitechapel a go this weekend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Played a 4 player game of Carcassonne, in which I came a close second, despite not having any points for three quarters of it, and the person who had never played before storming to victory over the rest of us "seasoned" players.

Also played another round of Risk Legacy. Two envelopes opened so far, and the board is in bits already. Some of the choices that people have made are already coming back to bite us.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Have played Citadels, Jungle Speed and Dominion (original, Intrigue & Seaside) this week. I was assassinated in each of the first three rounds in the game of Citadels on Wednesday :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

haha sounds like somebody was a greedy merchant ;)

• Advertisement

Don't think I picked Merchant once!

Actually, it went like this.

Choose Bishop. Bishop is assassinated.
    Choose King. King is assassinated... by the same player.
    Choose Thief. Steal from the Merchant. Merchant has no gold. Merchant is also the same player who assassinated me both times.
    Choose Warlord. Warlord is assassinated (different player this time though).

The one good thing was my start was so **** that everyone ignored me for the rest of the game and I nearly snuck a victory :pac:

Battered my flatmate 39-9 in a game of Dominion last night which was enjoyable. Narrowly lost the following game though.

haha so raging at that start I bet, getting me psyched up for games tomorrow now.
    Big fan of citadels but only played once.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

Hopefully get in a game of El Grande this Thur, that and a few fillers like Infiltration, Turtles and so on. Much will depend on what people bring. There's a fair chance Eldrich horror will rear it's head too

Played a lot of coup tonight! and tsuro of the seas

• Advertisement

Haven't played that version, but the regular Tsuro is a fun little game.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

MrTimewalk wrote: »
    Hopefully get in a game of El Grande this Thur, that and a few fillers like Infiltration, Turtles and so on. Much will depend on what people bring. There's a fair chance Eldrich horror will rear it's head too

I'll bring Eldritch just in case you fancy some coop ;) I have new Polish game in that cheap line (Good game at good price, same as Space Mission one) it's Rycerze i Zamki (Knights and castles), fun little game

Haven't played that version, but the regular Tsuro is a fun little game.

This version is much more fun imo..it's similar...but there are dragons that move around and eat you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Finding it hard at the moment to find time for longer games, so mainly playing fillers to get my boardgame fix.
    Played Splendor (my current favourite) 3 times tonight with 3 and 4 players. Only planned on one game. :)

Has anyone else played it?

Decided to give Rahdo and Tom Vassel a rest.I have been watching Drive thru and undead Viking reviews a lot lately.

For those interested.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Played Rampage and it is ridiculously good fun. The meeple set collection, unbalanced card 'powers' etc. are really just excuse to wreak havoc on Meeple City.

Pathetic 'flicking' attempts to move, ludicrously puny 'breath weapons' (yes you have to actually put your chin on your monster figure and blow), dropping your monster on buildings to wreck them, tossing vehicles at other monsters, and it plays in 30 - 45 minutes.

Playing it again tomorrow night, can't wait - it sings to the nine year old child in me :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Had our third game of Risk Legacy, which I finally won. Am immensely enjoying the changes that we've wrought, even if everyone immediately regrets placing a sticker.

Only real problem with it is that I get totally flustered when I have to come up with something to write on the board. So far, I've founded a small city that I've called "Snotland" (it's in Greenland), and a major city called "Caffotown" (Caffo being my nickname from school, very original.)

Also, a load of Carcassonne.

This week Played 1 x 3 player ,and 1 x 4 player games .Ran out of table space near the end of the 4 player,as your card draw and your strategy can force you to build out a fair bit. Looking forward to a few more games of this one.
    This is a easy one to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

Fury of Dracula, oldie but goodie

played 3-player A Game of Thrones LCG last night...2 newbies (including me) and we have lost badly against Stark veteran, survived 6 rounds ;) Core set only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

rzaba666 wrote: »
    played 3-player A Game of Thrones LCG last night...2 newbies (including me) and we have lost badly against Stark veteran, survived 6 rounds ;) Core set only

If he was a veteran you did well to last 6 rounds, a game rarely goes on more than 4 or 5...

Just about to play Combat Commander Europe, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

If he was a veteran you did well to last 6 rounds, a game rarely goes on more than 4 or 5...

yeah, he was complaining about Core set deck and keep saying 'oh god, i did this wrong' and etc. Last 3 rounds it was us against him and we just tried to survive ;) Other thing was that this person convinced us that keyword 'Deadly' works both way i.e. if defender has more 'deadly' characters than attacking player needs to kill one participating attacking character - this is wrong (as I have checked BGG) and stopped us on attacking him few times...

Played my first game(2 player) of Nations last night.Made a few minor mistakes with wonders and advisors but enjoyed it big time.
    I played the Greece against Rome.Not sure if the scoring was the norm but I won 38 pts to 30.:D
    A crackin game IMO.
    Hope to play a 3 or 4 player on monday.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Played Forumal D for the first time last night. It's definitely on my list of games I want to get now.

BpR6kIeIYAEA1ZQ.jpg

4 players, 4 hours, Sid Meier's Civilization:
    USA vs Germany vs Rome vs China - Rome won on military

I have played Love Letter a lot ,since my last post. Everyone that has played the game has loved it.Its my Wife's favourite game at the moment .Also because its so portable its an easy one to bring on hols..............or to the pub :)

Hope to try Coup in the future ,I was told its similar but deeper?

It's similar in a way, better game that is short and easy to explain. a bluffing/lying fun game.

played DC Comics Deck Building Game last night - great game to play with kids, lost badly to my son 44-22

Played Eldritch horror yesterday, won with doom on 1 :)

played Blue Moon Legends against wife (lost) and wife's niece (won) - pretty good game, unfortunately only 2 players so hard to find opponents, might bring it to BroCon

we have also played weird party game You Robot
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41054/you-robot

• Advertisement

Have been back in Ireland to get married, so myself and the new wife have been playing a load of Risk Legacy with her family. There was almost a divorce when I accidentally caused most of troops to be annihilated, and then another close call when I came close to winning, so they all ganged up on me.

A thoroughly enjoyable game, and we are loving the "legacy" aspects of it. The good news is that the designer of Risk Legacy and the designer of Pandemic have gotten together and are currently designing Pandemic Legacy. Having main characters die permanently? Yes please!

Advertisement