Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter resigns.

Options
  • 07-05-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Just announced...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Statement to come from the Taoiseach tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Sparks wrote: »
    Statement to come from the Taoiseach tomorrow.

That should be good....

Won't have anything to do with target shooting :D It's on foot of the report into Maurice McCabe apparently. But in light of the review that's currently stalled in the DoJ, it's significant enough news for us to at least mention it. I'd suggest anyone wanting to discuss Shatter's departure itself to dive over to the politics forum though:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Who will replace him ? Not varadkar :confused: ?

Nobody knows yet. It'll be announced tomorrow. He can't stay on as Minister for Defence unless it's an existing cabinet minister though, constitutional limit of 15 Ministers applies.

• Advertisement

Seems he's gone from Defence as well.

Kenny says he will announce shatters replacement later this evening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

He could hardly hold onto Defence having resigned from justice?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    He could hardly hold onto Defence having resigned from justice?

You've heard the latest news from America? They're looking into the neck skin of Irish politicians as a better material for kevlar jackets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Well who'd of thought mick the scruffy mutt would be of some use and by help Shatter fill out his p45.
    We should all celebrate by buying semi autos:)

• Advertisement

If anyone feels like a bet, Paddy Power are giving odds on replacements...

http://t.co/I94kQ69cuU

valerossi wrote: »
    Well who'd of thought mick the scruffy mutt would be of some use and by help Shatter fill out his p45.

(a) I doubt he was;
    (b) Anyone who doesn't pay into his employee's pension fund while doubling his own corporate salary to 300 grand knowing the business was bankrupt can jump off a cliff if they're looking for approval, thanks :)

If anyone feels like a bet, Paddy Power are giving odds on replacements...

http://t.co/I94kQ69cuU

Where is charlie flanagan on that list ?

I was very shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that Lowry and Healy-Rae were omitted from that list. ITS DISCRIMINAMANAIATIONY, that's what it is.

rowa wrote: »
    Where is charlie flanagan on that list ?
    Feck, did you put a bet on? Flanagan just jumped into the favorite position there:
    http://t.co/XviEDJwGaD

It could be worse, it could be john deasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

An Irish politician resigning? Never thought id see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

who hasnt he pissed off?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

forgive me, but what has he done to the shooting community? something to do with OTT license restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Drove an hour and a half to collect new rifle today and discovered cock up on serial number for it had a different number on license then on gun drove home really pissed off. And happy out now great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Don't be surprised if you're voting in a general election on May 23rd as well as a local/EU election.

Remember, Enda and Eamon backed Shatter time and again. They put their political pelts on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if you're voting in a general election on May 23rd as well as a local/EU election.

Remember, Enda and Eamon backed Shatter time and again. They put their political pelts on him.

Would like it to happen but cant. You need 3 weeks notice to call an election

DrumSteve wrote: »
    An Irish politician resigning? Never thought id see that.
    Oh no, it's terribly common, this is at least the eighth time it's happened... er, since the foundation of the state.

forgive me, but what has he done to the shooting community? something to do with OTT license restrictions?
    He wouldn't have earned the worst reputation with shooting in particular to be fair (that would fall to such luminaries as Michael McDowell and Dermot Ahern), but it's more that he never fixed obvious problems with the law we operate under and those laws have been biting particularly hard in recent years. There were also rumours of crackdowns to come but those were really just rumours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There were also rumours of crackdowns to come but those were really just rumours.

And without trying to derail this thread or turn it into a sub-thread of the main one lets hope the "coalition" have the good sense to shut up, at least for now.

No commissioner, a new Minister on the way that'll have so much more to deal with than non existent proposals, a Government trying to do damage control, etc. Now is not the time to stick our heads up. It could be months even years before they get around to re-evaluating any "proposals", the made up ones and the yet to be announced ones.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Let's not forget he was once the president of ICABS

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rugermk3

all we need is the rest of them to fallow him , sure look he`ll be ok with the big pension he`ll get for doing a bad job like the rest of them , he shouldn't get a penny of it, looking forward to them knocking on my door so I can fcuk them out of my garden , to see them all in the house bitching like little girls makes me sick, ive had dinner in the house before you should see how these lads live on the cost of the irish people , u wouldn't find a finer restaurant any where in Dublin , and to think of how many family`s there are in the country going with food, heating, soon to come water sure there are people living in cars with kids, there so far out of touch with the people of this country , its wrong and very worrying and yet they can hold there heads up high , well at least one of them is gone , enda next stuck up peace of ****

Let's not forget he was once the president of ICABS
    Yeah, but so was everyone and their sister. It's not exactly a post you have to fight to get. Fight to get out of or stay clear of, maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

(a) I doubt he was;
    (b) Anyone who doesn't pay into his employee's pension fund while doubling his own corporate salary to 300 grand knowing the business was bankrupt can jump off a cliff if they're looking for approval, thanks :)

(A) I never once said I support the scruff bag:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Hope we're not invaded while there's no minister for defence.

Advertisement