Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kildare

Options
  • 07-05-2014 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'm moving to Kildare soon with my family. Just wondering what the place is like for people mine and my sisters age? She's 18. I'm 21. Best places to go? Clubs to join? Gyms? Places to take the dogs for a walk/run? Places to shop? I'm not familiar with the area at all as I've lived in Wicklow all my life. We're moving near Kildare town. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 walscan

Do not move there nothing to do, no facilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Bit late for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The Curragh. For the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    The Curragh, a hurl and sliotar,a nine iron and golf ball and you'd have something to do till the day you die.

Roadtoad wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by that?

• Advertisement

larrlin24 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by that?
    I believe he's saying the Curragh is a facility. I believe it's about all you need to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

walscan wrote: »
    Do not move there nothing to do, no facilities

The op is not looking for a closed minded, sweeping statements. He's looking for constructive advice.

OP, are you moving to Kildare town or county Kildare? If the latter, then tell us what part.

Do you plan on joining any sporting clubs? Do you drive or have access to a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

For shopping OP you will have Kildare Village Outlet for a browse and coffee with your mates, but it's a bit expensive for actual purchases for your age group. Whitewater Shopping Centre in Newbridge is a smaller version of a lot of the Dublin shopping centres, with M&S, Debenhams, Zara, H&M a cinema and a giant sized Pennys in the town. It's roughly 10mins by car from Kildare town.

That's all I can help you with I'm afraid. Good luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

The op is not looking for a closed minded, sweeping statements. He's looking for constructive advice.

OP, are you moving to Kildare town or county Kildare? If the latter, then tell us what part.

Do you plan on joining any sporting clubs? Do you drive or have access to a car?

He said near Kildare town Paddy, maybe read the post first....

Kildare town. No sports clubs. Just looking for somewhere safe to walk my dogs. I've heard the Curragh, but I'm not sure. Yes I drive!

• Advertisement

sadie06 wrote: »
    For shopping OP you will have Kildare Village Outlet for a browse and coffee with your mates, but it's a bit expensive for actual purchases for your age group. Whitewater Shopping Centre in Newbridge is a smaller version of a lot of the Dublin shopping centres, with M&S, Debenhams, Zara, H&M a cinema and a giant sized Pennys in the town. It's roughly 10mins by car from Kildare town.

That's all I can help you with I'm afraid. Good luck with your move.

Thanks for all the info! :)

liam7831 wrote: »
    He said near Kildare town Paddy, maybe read the post first....

I'm definitely not a he :)

Like wordless said the Curragh is great for walking dogs. Also keep an eye out in local shops and local press. The Kildare animal foundation regularly do group dog walks on the Curragh. Be a great way to meet new people if you wanted to. A shared love of animals is a great ice breaker. As far as I remember the only rule is that your dog has to be good around other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Right..I've just had to clear out a goodly chunk of posts.

One of the basic rules of boards.ie is report a problematic post, do not respond on thread. Dragging a thread off topic is just as much of a problem at trolling it in the first place. By responding to a troll, you feed it - remember that

ken wrote: »
    Like wordless said the Curragh is great for walking dogs. Also keep an eye out in local shops and local press. The Kildare animal foundation regularly do group dog walks on the Curragh. Be a great way to meet new people if you wanted to. A shared love of animals is a great ice breaker. As far as I remember the only rule is that your dog has to be good around other dogs.

Thank you Ken. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Kildare town itself is excellent for walking dogs too, especially during winter evenings with very good well lit footpaths around the town.

Kildare town itself is excellent for walking dogs too, especially during winter evenings with very good well lit footpaths around the town.

Oh that's good to know! Thanks Frankie!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Shut ur facking mouth BuffBott

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Or what? You'll post badly mangled English on an online forum?

OH NOES!

Anyway, take some time out and post like an adult when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chitchat01

hi all, wondering if you can help me.
    i currently live in north kildare but work in dublin and the commut is killing me after 10 years, im thinking of moving nearer the n7 like naas, kill area but would love to have the small town feel.

can anyone recommend towns, i have a 1 yr old boy too so would need to be near enough to schools etc.

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

kilcullen probably fits the bill, not sure about that for a commute though,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

chitchat01 wrote: »
    hi all, wondering if you can help me.
    i currently live in north kildare but work in dublin and the commut is killing me after 10 years, im thinking of moving nearer the n7 like naas, kill area but would love to have the small town feel.

can anyone recommend towns, i have a 1 yr old boy too so would need to be near enough to schools etc.

thank you

Sallins is a small village with a large population outside Naas. It's developing slowly but there are a lot of facilities in Naas and other towns close by. I have a 3 year old and 7 month old, and we are always taking trips various places, weather permitting. Facilities and shopping in Naas are excellent, and imo there is a good feel to it.

Canals run through Sallins, making for great walks and good scenery. There are a couple of great pubs and restaurants also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Johnstown is a lovely little village just beside Naas. Kill village is nice also. Both with a large helping of 'small village' feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chitchat01

Thank you everyone, i think i should spend a few days having a look around kill and johnstown, to get a feel, just wondered if anyone lived there and knew what creches, schools and nighlife was like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thank you everyone, i think i should spend a few days having a look around kill and johnstown, to get a feel, just wondered if anyone lived there and knew what creches, schools and nighlife was like ?
    Where are you living now and where are you commutng too?
    It might help with a few suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Hi there. I am very familiar with Kill so can answer some of your questions. It has a lovely small village feel and the primary school has to be one of the most impressive in the country in terms of the building and facilities. A quick look at this slide show will give you an idea of it.

There are no secondary schools in Kill, so travel will be a factor (Naas, Celbridge, Rathcoole) for second level education unless they succeed in getting a school before your daughter is of that age.

There are a couple of good pubs between Kill and Johnstown, but for 'nightlife' as I think you mean it, Naas has it all. Pubs, clubs, lots of places to eat, and a growing live music scene. If you buy in Kill, you will find yourself in and out to Naas a lot anyway and it will become second nature to you.

I'm not sure about childcare availability. Kill is lovely. If you can afford to live there, go for it!

Advertisement